PDA

View Full Version : Wheel Locks

Community
11-09-2007, 03:29 PM
So I bought a used car with wheel locks, but someone tossed the key. They are cheap and were over torqued.
One came off by welding a nut to the end of the lock, one stud is now broken with a piece of the lock still on.
Any ideas?

LhcBrad
11-09-2007, 03:34 PM
Park it outside some night some crook will come by and know what they are doing and take your wheels. Then you buy new wheels.
I think giving them a quick hard freeze maybe with a fire extinguisher then hit them with a hammers works.

redneckcharlie
11-09-2007, 03:35 PM
I use to keep several different size twelve point(cheap)deep sockets around for this very situation on customers cars. It can take some work beating them on, and your most likely going to loose the socket, but it works. An impact is a big help, if your not already using one. Good luck, I know your situation is a serious pain in the ass!

Captain Dan
11-09-2007, 03:38 PM
Sledge hammer a slightly oversized impact socket on there and use an air gun. Works every time.

Community
11-09-2007, 03:40 PM
I wish someone would steal them - not big into the bling wheels - they really effect the way the car drives and I think just too big. I will try the 12 point socket - not sure what to do with the stud that spins freely with a piece of the lock still on there.

HALLETT BOY
11-09-2007, 03:41 PM
Go to a tire shop, they have special twisted sockets that will grip the lock and take them right off !

LhcBrad
11-09-2007, 03:42 PM
Go to a tire shop, they have special twisted sockets that will grip the lock and take them right off !
I think this is your best bet

Community
11-09-2007, 03:44 PM
They created the problem. The stud that broke was one they pounded a socket on and hit with the impact. I have been to 5 different wheel shops and nobody wants to deal with it.

YeLLowBoaT
11-09-2007, 03:45 PM
Big pair of vice grips and a hammer. once you get a really good bite on the lock with the vice grips lightly tap them with the hammer. I've never seen a wheel lock that I could not get off like that( assuming I could get the vice grips on the locking nut)

Community
11-09-2007, 03:47 PM
Vice grips can't get in there - its a deep, thin walled socket that is needed and the key essentially has six grooves in it. I had a match, but it was a shallow socket.

No Name
11-09-2007, 03:55 PM
I’ve used an air chisel many times when I was a tech. But you need to be very careful because one slip could result in some wheel damage.
Good luck.

BIGJOEDUCKSLAYER
11-09-2007, 04:03 PM
Where are you located?
if in norcal pm your number, I can have off in a few minutes.
BIG JOE SSMF

WaterJunky
11-09-2007, 04:30 PM
Youall are overcomplicating the situation. One word for yea, Plascutter.
Have the locks cut off in no time. May need new studs but those are easy and cheap. If you are good you will not damage the rims at all. If you are good:rollside:
OK so the redneck farmboy comes out in me sometimes........ But hey, you asked for solutions.

Formula Dude
11-09-2007, 04:44 PM
Use a portable grinder, works every time. Cover the rim from sparks.

WaterJunky
11-09-2007, 04:49 PM
Yeah, almost everybody I know has a plasma cutter laying around. My 8 year old has two.
Please note the emphasis on Farmboy. Tools like plasma cutters and such are not uncommon. Somewhere in there was a joke. I am hoping that most got the humor in it.

Baja Big Dog
11-09-2007, 10:23 PM
Is it me, or did anyone else notice the "spinning" stud? You can pound or weld all the sockets on yo want, the fricken stud is spinning!!! Jesus Christ....
Plasma, what the fock is that gonna do with that, besides melt a hole in the rim, you said you didnt like the wheels, do you care if you destroy the bad one??
Yes..wedge a small screwdriver between the stud and the rim, drill out the center of the stud the size of the ID of the broken lock.

DaveA
11-09-2007, 10:23 PM
Mac Tool makes the stuff we use to get them off. Works for me.
http://www.mactools.com/Mac/Mac+Products/Catalog/Automotive+Specialty/Shop+Equipment/Wheel+Service

Community
11-10-2007, 08:24 AM
Thanks for the suggestions - will see what I can get done today.