PDA

View Full Version : Anything wrong with those cheap yellow etrex's

malcolm
01-03-2003, 11:43 PM
I got a gift cert. to Circuit City for C-mas. I was thinking of picking up that $115 yellow Etrex GPS. Is there any reason to buy a more expensive one just for checking speed?

Oldsquirt
01-03-2003, 11:46 PM
The basic Garmin works just fine for speed checking. Very popular around my area. Some of the other features can be useful as well, particularly the tracking feature if you are in unfamiliar water such as the Delta here in California.
[ January 03, 2003, 11:46 PM: Message edited by: OLDSQUIRT ]

malcolm
01-03-2003, 11:59 PM
Thanks for the reply, I think I'll head into town tommorrow and pick one up. Then I'll have to get the boat back together!

Aluminum Squirt
01-04-2003, 12:14 AM
Those cheap yellow e-trex's are great but watch out, you may get addicted to GPS and want a more feature packed model. I'm on my third one and I have a GPS V now and I love it. I've got a mount in my boat, truck, and on my bike. I just move the unit to the toy of the day and now I'm never lost, always know what speed I'm going, elevation, time, routes, etc etc. If you are not a 'gadget guy' then the cheap models are great for speed only but look into better models if its in the budget, I think you'll be impressed with what they can do-Aluminum Squirt

77charger
01-04-2003, 12:43 PM
i have one and mainly use it for speed measurements in the boat.It is very accurate and keeps up well too.I also use it for desert riding in glamis so it does the job good for me.

DUCKY
01-04-2003, 08:55 PM
77charger:
i have one and mainly use it for speed measurements in the boat.It is very accurate and keeps up well too.I also use it for desert riding in glamis so it does the job good for me. It works well, but it's not as water resistant as they will have you believe...

77468sleekcraft
01-04-2003, 09:11 PM
HEY MALCOLM,WHATS UP.SOUNDS LIKE I WILL BE ABLE TO FIND OUT HOW FAST MY BOAT REALLY IS.

Old Guy
01-04-2003, 09:16 PM
Hey, I got one. It works great. Tells me how fast the boat isn't going. Tells my wife how far she went for a walk. I got the car adapter and hooked it up to my notebook computer. it works with a map program I've got and shows exactly where I'm at, and where I've been. If you ever need a good map program I recommend DeLorme. They make good stuff. I have purchased 5 other map programs. Nothing else came cloose. You can even talk to the computer and it will talk back to you and tell you where you are.
old

Oldsquirt
01-04-2003, 09:20 PM
Old Guy:
...Tells me how fast the boat isn't going.... That's why they call it the "Humbler" :( :)

Infomaniac
01-04-2003, 09:36 PM
Called "Heart Breakers" here in Okie land.

Kindsvater Flat
01-04-2003, 11:13 PM
I have the little yellow etrex. Thought it would be neat to see how fast the boat was but now I wish I didn't. :( Oh well is just a friggin ski boat anyways. I was hoping that it was faster.
http://www.saber.net/~atthefarm/pics/topspeed.jpg
[ January 04, 2003, 11:14 PM: Message edited by: Kindsvater Flat ]

Infomaniac
01-05-2003, 07:48 AM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Kindsvater Flat:
[QB] I have the little yellow etrex. Thought it would be neat to see how fast the boat was but now I wish I didn't. :( Oh well is just a friggin ski boat anyways. I was hoping that it was faster.
How imbarrassing, any good ski boat should at least do the speed of sound.
Maybe a different cam will get you the additional 212 MPH.

O.B eddie
01-05-2003, 08:37 AM
Mine work's great I have had no problems at all!!

PussyPusher
01-05-2003, 09:02 AM
Hey Oldguy can you post a link to that map program you are referring to? I just got the Magellan Map330M which has all the waterways in the entire U.S. and detailed coastline with navaids. If your gonna spend the money might as well get what you want.

Kindsvater Flat
01-05-2003, 10:00 AM
Infomaniac:
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Kindsvater Flat:
[QB] I have the little yellow etrex. Thought it would be neat to see how fast the boat was but now I wish I didn't. :( Oh well is just a friggin ski boat anyways. I was hoping that it was faster.
How imbarrassing, any good ski boat should at least do the speed of sound.
Maybe a different cam will get you the additional 212 MPH. Info I thought you would pick up on that. That is a SouthWest airplane. I had it stuck in the window on the way back from Disneyland. :D

malcolm
01-05-2003, 10:19 AM
Well, I got it last night. I haven't been able to get a satellite lock yet, must be too much stuff in the way. Hope it works better on the river.
Hey Chris, ready to read it and weep?

77468sleekcraft
01-05-2003, 12:09 PM
OH YEA,IM READY I JUST HOPE ITS NOT EMBARESSING.. cry

77charger
01-05-2003, 03:08 PM
DUCKY:
77charger:
i have one and mainly use it for speed measurements in the boat.It is very accurate and keeps up well too.I also use it for desert riding in glamis so it does the job good for me. It works well, but it's not as water resistant as they will have you believe... actually they hold out well i dropped mine in a flat and it got drenched turned it back on it worked fine.

malcolm
01-05-2003, 05:33 PM
Hey, it works pretty good. We tried it out all day driving around in the car. It stayed right on with the car's speedo the whole time (except for a second or two lag time).

77charger
01-05-2003, 06:54 PM
good to see you like it so far.There are many accesories availiable for it too such as mounting brackets which can be useful.

malcolm
01-06-2003, 08:02 AM
Yeah, I foresee a mount and a cig. plugin in my future.

Hermosa
01-06-2003, 09:37 AM
OLDSQUIRT:
The basic Garmin works just fine for speed checking. Very popular around my area. Some of the other features can be useful as well, particularly the tracking feature if you are in unfamiliar water such as the Delta here in California. The track back feature has saved my ass on the Delta a couple times, running low on fuel and it was getting dark, I was lost without it.