PDA

View Full Version : Getting Boat Off Trailer?

Devilman
03-03-2006, 05:40 AM
I am going to be getting some welding done & hopefully have my trailer painted as well, so I need to get the boat off it. I have done some searching here & found some pretty slick methods ( Squirtcha's in particular had good pics along with a description ) but all the ones I have found being done were empty hulls. Has anybody ever lifted one off the trailer fully rigged? Motor, interior, etc.... I have no place to let it sit in the water for any amount of time so that is not an option.
What would be good to set in on? Old tires, directly on the ground, old mattress?
Also, my transom is fresh, would the transom eyes be a suitable lifting point or lift it from the pump....
Thanks, guys....

Dimarco Kid
03-03-2006, 06:01 AM
I wouldn't lift it.
Here's how I do it....
Harness thru the stern eyes and attach the harness to something that CAN'T MOVE, (parked truck behind the boat works for me)
Unhook bow strap.
The truck hooked to to TRAILER I put in 4WD LOW RANGE so it just creeps and I start to pull the trailer out from under the boat.
Inches at a time. When the transom is hanging of the trailer enough to block under it, I stop. Go back block the outside edges and center with lumber and carpet. I put the blocks under it so there's about an 1" between the block and hull. The hull with gently set on them if you go slow enough when you hit the balance point.
Slowly keep pulling until you can get a block under the center of the keel just forward of the front seats. I take a big block of lumber with carpet on top of it. Get it as close to the hull as you can and your boat will set down on that when your trailer is completely out from under it.
Don't get it too high but don't set it on the floor either. The lower you go...the harder it is and more strain you put on the bow eye to winch it back on. Too high, tippy. My pump usually ends up about 3-5" of the floor.
When your ready, back the trailer back under the bow. You can either hook the bow eye back up and winch the boat back up on the trailer OR keep the boat anchored, put your truck in neutral and winch the trailer and truck back in under the boat. I like the second way myself. Some guys say it doesn't matter but winching the truck and trailer in neutral is WAY easier on the arms therefor must be less strain on the bow eye.
Hope that helped.

Squirtcha?
03-03-2006, 06:18 AM
Dimarco's idea sounds like a good one.
I'd be leary of picking up the boat by the pump and bow eye with an additional 800 lbs (or so) of weight in her.
The only thing I might suggest, when using Dimarco's method, would be to wet the bunkers on the trailer with water (or something) when you go to winch it back on. I might make it slide on a little easier.
It seems like if you could block the hull up closer to the level of the trailer bunks it might make it a little easier to get it on too.
Dimarco.............when you're winching it do you think you could use a little 2 ton hand operated comealong? Or would it require something a little heavier?

Dimarco Kid
03-03-2006, 06:21 AM
The only thing I might suggest, when using Dimarco's method, would be to wet the bunkers on the trailer with water (or something) when you go to winch it back on. I might make it slide on a little easier.
It seems like if you could block the hull up closer to the level of the trailer bunks it might make it a little easier to get it on too.
Good suggestion! I've gotten pretty good at this...for the sole reason that my trailer's a piece of shit. :)
You know what!!! I forgot he or you probably don't have a tongue winch!!! My trailers got a 2" nylon strap winch on it. My beach is all sand and SHALLOW so I don't run the boat and hate getting my fancy wheels on the truck wet!!! LOL So I winch. BUT...YEAH a come along would work fine. I really like the idea of pulling the truck in neutral, that way your NOT pulling the boat OFF it's blocks. Shit could happen that way. You could hook the come along to your safety chain holes in your truck hitch maybe? Then to the boats bow eye.

Wally_Gator
03-03-2006, 06:28 AM
I did this recently....
Here is how I did it...
1. 4 jack stands.
2. one floor jack.
3. A boat dolley (easily made) or substitute wood blocks.
I backed my boat and trailer into my garage.
I jacked the boat up by the keel with wood on the jack
and then placed wood on the jack stands. With the boat raised high enough
to move the trailer I inched the trailer out from under the boat.
Having to "walk" the trailer out from under the boat I had to re-position the jack stands multiple times. Once the trailer was out, I put my boat dolley
under the boat in reverse order.
I hope this helps...

Dimarco Kid
03-03-2006, 06:35 AM
That idea works well if you don't have room or any way to anchor it, (like in a smaller garage). I've never tried it. But it's a good idea.

Squirtcha?
03-03-2006, 06:41 AM
That idea works well if you don't have room or any way to anchor it, (like in a smaller garage). I've never tried it. But it's a good idea.
I've done em that way. It's kind of a pain having to move the jackstands (or whatever you choose to use). If I remember correctly I banged the crap out of my shins a few times on the trailer crossmembers while moving jackstands around too.
I like the slide it off.........slide it on thing. I know my shins would thank me.

Dimarco Kid
03-03-2006, 06:44 AM
I've got two "little" ones who like dad's boat so I try to do everything possible to make it as safe as possible. I'd have an anuerism (spelling?) if I saw them climbing a jack stand just to sit in the boat!
BUT...great idea if that's whatcha got to work with!!
P.S. You're one of the few I've seen "older" than me as far as join date goes! Die Hard.

Devilman
03-03-2006, 06:56 AM
Sounds pretty straightforward, just taking your time & placement of the blocks is key. My trailer does have a winch, loaded with new 2" strap. I've got access to as many heavy-duty come-alongs as well as a buddy with a PTO winch on the front of his truck. Just need to get my hands on some timbers & some carpet scraps. My boat on the trailer weighs 3000 lbs., so prolly a good idea not to hoist it up, but drag it off. :cool:
This will be a straight-up shadetree operation as well, no concrete floors at the place I'll be doing the work, just bare ground & big trees.:D
Thanks for all the ideas, guys. We'll see what happens...

Wally_Gator
03-03-2006, 07:00 AM
I've got two "little" ones who like dad's boat so I try to do everything possible to make it as safe as possible. I'd have an anuerism (spelling?) if I saw them climbing a jack stand just to sit in the boat!
BUT...great idea if that's whatcha got to work with!!
P.S. You're one of the few I've seen "older" than me as far as join date goes! Die Hard.
Read in there "Use a boat dolley" I would never leave a boat on jack stands especially with a motor in it as devilman is asking about. That is asking for trouble.

Dimarco Kid
03-03-2006, 07:01 AM
This will be a straight-up shadetree operation as well, no concrete floors at the place I'll be doing the work, just bare ground & big trees.:D
Ah Hah!!! There you have it, BIG trees bro. Use them to anchor! When you start pulling your strap will obviously tighten up hard. Just leave it there and you can just pull the trailer back in under it! When the boats back on, back the whole thing up...strap's loose!! You got it man, GOOD LUCK!!!

Squirtcha?
03-03-2006, 07:02 AM
No concrete floors at the place I'll be doing the work, just bare ground & big trees.:D
Sounds like you'll have lots of good anchor points (trees). Take some pictures and let us know how it goes?
Wally's method works fine too. Like I said, I've done em that way. I believe if I had to do it again (with the motor still in it) I'd try this other way. It sounds like it might be a little easier.
Dan

boater012
03-03-2006, 07:47 AM
I run a shop here in socal and I have used the boweye to lift 30 footers off their trailers. the key is to make sure the bow eye is not loose in the hull at all. Im fortunate enough to have an overhead bridge crane in my shop so that makes life easier. When I was a kid I would use any means neccesary to get my stuff done! I.E. I once launched my new aquisition of a 15 foot glasspar avalon on the ice plant next to the marina where my dad kept his big boat! Shoulda seen the look on the faces of all the people at the marina that weekend! I just waited for high tide unhooked it from the traler and let her slide! Quite easy actually (Ice plant got its name for a reason). Anyways I have lifted several of my own boats with the eyes.
Including 3 different southwinds. two halletts and a couple searays this way and never had a problem at all. I would'nt reccomend doing it this way without the proper safety equipment, but the bow and stern eyes will hold the boat! Im not sure id do it with rope and trees though! lol
my two pennies worth!

Wally_Gator
03-03-2006, 07:53 AM
So boater...
You use question marks on jackstands and floor jacks and then comment on the trees and rope...
What is your take on the jackstand approach?
Isn't this what they use for the BIG boats although they use keel blocks it is the same basic method. Put an 18' boat on a dolley after getting the trailer out of the way and you have the equivlalent of a boat trailer without the tongue.

Dimarco Kid
03-03-2006, 08:02 AM
Read in there "Use a boat dolley" I would never leave a boat on jack stands especially with a motor in it as devilman is asking about. That is asking for trouble.
Oh yeah, gotcha bro.

boater012
03-03-2006, 08:05 AM
I wasnt slamming the jackstand method at all I was simply stating that the boweyes are capable of handling the weight of the boat! the dolley idea is the best by far I wasnt positive that they had a dolley at their disposal. if anyone does need a dolley, and they are close enough to long beach to be willing to pick them up I have 3 or 4 at the shop that im willing to loan out to ***boaters! as long as I get them back! I also have several sets of the screw jack style boat stands there as well! the screw jack styles are nice to do bottom work with because they elevate the boat to about 36" off the floor! p.s. I also have a couple of trailers available for use if anyone needs to transport a boat without a trailer! All have perm plates and working lights. I have a couple of 18 footers and at least one 20 footer! again as long as I get them back! Again wasnt slamming them just giving info!

boater012
03-03-2006, 08:07 AM
p.s. My comment on the rope and trees was to say that I wouldnt attempt to lift the boat straight up off the trailer with rope tied to the trees!

Devilman
03-03-2006, 08:24 AM
When I was talking about lifting the boat, I was meaning just lifting it enough to pull the trailer out from under it & set it down immediately. Wasn't going to leave it suspended for any amount of time. Don't have a boat dolly.
The drag method seems the simplest, given my working conditions. I'll make sure to have a camera, though when I do it. Sure it'll be loads of entertainment.:D

atxwrangler
03-03-2006, 09:07 AM
call me over when you do this and i will try to be helpful,kenny!

Dimarco Kid
03-03-2006, 09:14 AM
p.s. My comment on the rope and trees was to say that I wouldnt attempt to lift the boat straight up off the trailer with rope tied to the trees!
Why not? LOL

boater012
03-03-2006, 09:19 AM
allright when I was 16 I actually used trees and a rope and lets just say I think it was too much for the trees lol we had a couple branches leave the tree in the process. 3 branches later vuala it was off the trailer!l thats why I said I wouldnt try it! From personal experience but I wasnt willing to admit it lol hahahaha roflmao

Devilman
03-03-2006, 09:21 AM
call me over when you do this and i will try to be helpful,kenny!
Sure thing. Not sure when it'll happen, I just know I wanna do it. The trailer needs some welding here & there. Some other stuff as well. The welding can actually be done with the boat on the trailer, but figured it would just be nice to have it painted afterward to cover up everything. Hey, didn't you say you had a pond on you place in the country?

Dimarco Kid
03-03-2006, 09:26 AM
allright when I was 16 I actually used trees and a rope and lets just say I think it was too much for the trees lol we had a couple branches leave the tree in the process. 3 branches later vuala it was off the trailer!l thats why I said I wouldnt try it! From personal experience but I wasnt willing to admit it lol hahahaha roflmao
Hahaha, I knew there must have been a reason! I've seen a couple of guys do my method with junk rope and left the bow eye hooked!!! That rope let go and hit the boat so hard it took gelcoat with it!!! I chuckled.

atxwrangler
03-03-2006, 09:34 AM
yep, my buddy that, WELDS,has one at his house.how much welding do you need done?

boater012
03-03-2006, 09:38 AM
Some of the funniest shiznit ive ever seen has happened at the launch ramp. I saw some guys pull their boat out of the water 8 months ago or so at davies and didnt hook the bow eye. When he got to the top of the ramp he floored it and his wife (who was sitting in the boat) went for one hell of a ride! broke the outdrive off and sent the gymbal rams throught the bottom. the guy was so disgusted that he gave me the boat and trailer!! just unhooked, signed over the title and left! I got a perfectly good bigblock merc with 77 hours on it for free lol some people shouldnt be allowed to boat!!!! i sold the hull on ebay for 2700 with the remains of the outdrive. I called the guy and told him I sold the hull and asked if he wanted the money and he said no he didnt want anything that came from it.

atxwrangler
03-03-2006, 09:42 AM
now that is FUNNY!

Devilman
03-03-2006, 09:49 AM
yep, my buddy that, WELDS,has one at his house.how much welding do you need done?
Not a whole lot. Some spots around the fenders, where the little platforms are. We got a wire machine here at work, was gonna let our welder do it on a Saturday or something, since it would be free. Getting the trailer painted was the result of a slow day at work & too much thinking.:D

Dimarco Kid
You guys remember a few years back the story (or rumor) of the lady who left the trailer hooked under the boat?!!! Just backed into the water and unhooked the f-ing thing! Was that true?

boater012
I have pictures somewhere! I grabbed my digital camera and astarted taking pictures after I helped his royally pissed of wife out of the boat. lol youll laugh your ass off. It took me two hours to get it back on the trailer.

boater012
03-03-2006, 09:51 AM
My buddy from the yacht sales place in long beach was called out to help herget it back to the dock.

atxwrangler
03-03-2006, 09:53 AM
I Would Love To See Those!

Dimarco Kid
03-03-2006, 09:55 AM
I have pictures somewhere! I grabbed my digital camera and astarted taking pictures after I helped his royally pissed of wife out of the boat. lol youll laugh your ass off. It took me two hours to get it back on the trailer.
$2700 and a big block, not bad for 2 hours of work tho!!!
That was a TRUE story!!!??? Stupid chick!!!

atxwrangler
03-03-2006, 09:56 AM
I Am Working My Four Nights This Weekend,ii'll Be Leaving About The Time You Get Home.i'm Usually Up By 2 And Leave Again By Five.

boater012
03-03-2006, 09:59 AM
It was a newer boat and had nice electronis on it too I took the gauges and everything I got a lot of stuff from that deal!! It was like a 98 or 99 searay 24' sundancer model I think. oh and i still have the trailer its one of my shop trailers lol

Dimarco Kid
03-03-2006, 10:05 AM
It was a newer boat and had nice electronis on it too I took the gauges and everything I got a lot of stuff from that deal!! It was like a 98 or 99 searay 24' sundancer model I think. oh and i still have the trailer its one of my shop trailers lol
Where the hell am I when deals like this happen? I can't even get salvagable road kill! :squiggle:

boater012
03-03-2006, 10:07 AM
Im not positive but im pretty sure that I officially hijacked this thread! :crossx:

Dimarco Kid
03-03-2006, 10:18 AM
I'm guilty too...sorry devil!!!

Devilman
03-03-2006, 10:29 AM
I'm guilty too...sorry devil!!!
No problem, it doesn't bother me any. Sometimes you pick up other info along the way, from a threadjack. Besides, I've been guilty of it myself every now & then. It's all good! :cool:

Devilman
03-03-2006, 10:32 AM
Im not positive but im pretty sure that I officially hijacked this thread! :crossx:
No worries here, bro! :cool:

bighead
03-03-2006, 12:49 PM
When a friend and I needed to repair and repaint his trailer we did it this hillbilly way. Went to the ramp and launched the boat, backed a flat deck 18 foot utility trailer in and put carpet covered beams under the hull where the bunks went, it was kind of a bitch holding those chunks of wood under water while slowly pulling the trailer out but it worked well and seemed safe.

atxwrangler
03-03-2006, 01:03 PM
i have an 18 foot flatbed trailer,all we need is a couple of landscape timbers and some carpet!he's smart,i like that idea!

Devilman
03-03-2006, 01:53 PM
i have an 18 foot flatbed trailer,all we need is a couple of landscape timbers and some carpet!he's smart,i like that idea!
You know, that is damn near simple enough to work like a champ. It's gonna be a bit before I do it, but I'll let ya know when I'm getting close.
Whats your work schedule this evening?

Dimarco Kid
03-03-2006, 02:03 PM
Great idea...just strap some bunks on it!! :)

Devilman
03-03-2006, 02:11 PM
Great idea...just strap some bunks on it!! :)
Thats got me thinking.
Wonder if it would hurt to have the hull sitting directly on the trailer with carpet covered chocks, so to speak, supporting it.
Seems almost too easy, doesn't it?

atxwrangler
03-03-2006, 02:31 PM
as posted above, i am working my four nights, starting tonight.the trailer is at the boat barn where i keep the boat,just let me know if you go to get it,so i can tell chris it's alright!it is easy and ,yes it will work!

Dimarco Kid
03-03-2006, 02:33 PM
Thats got me thinking.
Wonder if it would hurt to have the hull sitting directly on the trailer with carpet covered chocks, so to speak, supporting it.
Seems almost too easy, doesn't it?
If you could attach blocks in the same way they'd be positioned on the ground would work too. Biggest thing is the ride back to your place, is it a long way? If so, obviously more time involved with setting the bunks up.

Devilman
03-03-2006, 02:51 PM
as posted above, i am working my four nights, starting tonight.the trailer is at the boat barn where i keep the boat,just let me know if you go to get it,so i can tell chris it's alright!it is easy and ,yes it will work!
Gotcha. I'm not doing anything that quick. Just didn't know if you were gonna be around the house this evening. I'll prolly be messin around the house with a beer in my hand.
My condolences.:D :crossx:

Devilman
03-03-2006, 02:57 PM
If you could attach blocks in the same way they'd be positioned on the ground would work too. Biggest thing is the ride back to your place, is it a long way? If so, obviously more time involved with setting the bunks up.
I'm just thinking, if I had the blocks angle cut & carpeted, why couldn't the boat be positioned on the trailer, sitting on the keel, then chock it from the sides with the blocks in the appropriate spots. Maybe 3 or 4 chock blocks per side? And then strap it down snug for the ride home.
There are 2 ramps less than 10 miles form my house. One more deserted than the other. All paved country road, so a slow cruise would not pose a problem.

Dimarco Kid
03-03-2006, 03:05 PM
Definately the way to do it! Load the carpet to the keel area, and cut some timber angled the same as the hull. Should set pretty! Keep us posted!

YeLLowBoaT
03-03-2006, 03:07 PM
If you build your dolly a little hire( IE 1/2-1") it makes putting it back on the trailer very ez. Its not really that much harder to take off with a jack. It just makes it sliding back on the trailer ALOT less work.

Greaser
03-03-2006, 03:13 PM
Hey Kenny, If you deciede not to do it that way, I have a pond sittin on the backside of my farm that is deep enough to unload the boat in. Your more them welcome toleave the boat there till you get done with the trailer.

FLEA DIDDY
03-03-2006, 03:29 PM
When I was talking about lifting the boat, I was meaning just lifting it enough to pull the trailer out from under it & set it down immediately. Wasn't going to leave it suspended for any amount of time. Don't have a boat dolly.
The drag method seems the simplest, given my working conditions. I'll make sure to have a camera, though when I do it. Sure it'll be loads of entertainment.:DMe and 460 just put my hull on a dolly I built and it was a pita, and it's empty also. No f@ckin way to anchor it and only 2 mofo's pushing it. We ended up useing a come along to pull the dolly up under the hull, Next time I'm gettin a crowd of doods over the house. Good luck Dman.
Here's acouple pics of the stand and the hull on it, The stand is 3" taller than my bunks, ez for lifting.

460 jus getn it
03-03-2006, 03:32 PM
Me and 460 just put my hull on a dolly I built and it was a pita, and it's empty also. No f@ckin way to anchor it and only to mofo's pushing it. We ended up useing a come along to pull the dolly up under the hull, Next time I'm gettin a crowd of doods over the house. Good luck Dman.
its wasnt that bad....ok well it was a pita..........but it was still fun.............

boater012
03-03-2006, 03:36 PM
If you put the boat on the flatbed backwards the return trip to the ramp would be unneccasary just back the repaired boat trailer up to the boat and pull it back onto the boat trailer with the winch!! seems simple to me! how come nobody stated they had an 18 foot flatbed at their disposal??

bighead
03-03-2006, 03:43 PM
If you were to take measurements as to exactly where the bunks will lay and have them angle cut and carpeted it is no big deal to run a couple screws up from the bottom to hold the damn things down from floating away which was the biggest problem we encountered and I wish we had done that as well, it was probably comical as hell watching us in freezing water trying to hold the wood underwater and in position. We used some jobsite scrap beams, 12by 12 or something so they had a good deal of flotation.The drive was easy as the beam chunks were wide and stable plus we had only to drive a half mile.Worked for us easily enough.

Dimarco Kid
03-03-2006, 04:42 PM
If you put the boat on the flatbed backwards the return trip to the ramp would be unneccasary just back the repaired boat trailer up to the boat and pull it back onto the boat trailer with the winch!!
Uh....what.....duh.....holy shit it's amazing the shit I think of when someone else suggests it! :messedup:

boater012
03-03-2006, 05:01 PM
Thats great!!!! dimarco i wonder youll think of next!

bergen
03-03-2006, 05:25 PM
hey flea i like your idea of the dolly, but the last time i was in your town,
i went to the local grocery store to pick up a few supplies and they did not have any more shopping carts, the manager told me they keep finding the carts minus the wheels. just kidding flea, could not help my self when i seen the casters on your dolly, it reminded me of all the shopping carts i hy-jacked when i was a kid to build the baddest go-kart's on the block. once again just joshing flea.
bergen

FLEA DIDDY
03-03-2006, 05:45 PM
hey flea i like your idea of the dolly, but the last time i was in your town,
i went to the local grocery store to pick up a few supplies and they did not have any more shopping carts, the manager told me they keep finding the carts minus the wheels. just kidding flea, could not help my self when i seen the casters on your dolly, it reminded me of all the shopping carts i hy-jacked when i was a kid to build the baddest go-kart's on the block. once again just joshing flea.
bergenDamn I never thought of that angle, lol. I paid 8 bucks a peice for those bas-turds. If you look at the dolly you'll notice another set of casters, those little turds kept getting stuck in the expansion joint on the concrete. I had to figure out how to attach the larger casters with the boat on the dolly. MAJOR PITA!!!!!!!!!! :mad:

atxwrangler
03-03-2006, 06:11 PM
looking good there flea!got colors picked out?

Tahiti350
03-03-2006, 06:38 PM
Here's how the Redneck did it... (that'd be me :rolleyes: ) Actually, I've done it this way twice now, takes about 15 minutes to have the boat off the trailer now. Drop the hitch all the way down, install chains in the back, raise hitch as high as possible, put straps under bow and mid point, lower hitch to mid point and roll trailer out. These pic's show straps to the chains in the back, but now I just use chains from the rafters down.
The carport is reinforced, the rafters are 4x4's sandwiched between 2x8's, and 2x8's for joists. Doesn't move under the load (yet)
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/2266Hanging_out.JPG
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/2266Hanging.JPG

bergen
03-03-2006, 07:12 PM
Damn I never thought of that angle, lol. I paid 8 bucks a peice for those bas-turds. If you look at the dolly you'll notice another set of casters, those little turds kept getting stuck in the expansion joint on the concrete. I had to figure out how to attach the larger casters with the boat on the dolly. MAJOR PITA!!!!!!!!!! :mad:
lol flea, yeah i did notice the others casters, i thought i seen a creeper in the corner of your garage with out wheels, i just figured you needed a tobogin for the snow trip with the family, lol, take it easy flea.
bergen

Glencoe MiniDay
03-03-2006, 09:37 PM
When I pulled my boat off the trailer I used a couple of long tow straps and some chains.
I took the chain and loosened the bolts that run through the stringers where the engine mounts to and made a large loop the took the longer of the two tow straps and went around the front part of the hull and made a large loop with a slipknot with the loops of the strap and then took the shorter strap and hooked it to the chain and the to the other strap and started to lift with a backhoe and adjusted strap location as necessary to find the point of balance and the drove the trailer out from under the boat and set a bunch of old tires that I got from a tire shop in various locations and the repaired the trailer as necessary and the powdercoated as well.
Was probably a 4 month long project as I was working on the trailer as I had spare time.
Was a stable setup I could climb in and out of the boat as was necessary

holorinhal
03-03-2006, 11:20 PM
here is the dolly i built.two 4x4's'two 12' 2x10's,one 2x4 ,for bracing,screws ,carpet and four casters ,from work.simple to build and very sturdy.http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/27747.jpg

holorinhal
03-03-2006, 11:23 PM
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/27748.jpg

Dimarco Kid
03-04-2006, 03:59 AM
That's a nice piece right there!!!

Aluminum Squirt
03-04-2006, 10:22 AM
On the first method of pulling the trailer out from under the boat slowly and blocking it, I have an idea to add. Either pump your tires up to about 80lbs before and let them down to about 8 after you get it blocked or run your trailer tires up onto a 2X4, but put it lengthwise (like parallel to your bunks). That way the boat gets blocked up a little higher and when you go to slide it back under, its that much easier-Aluminum Squirt