PDA

View Full Version : V-drive is too loud for wife

SKIA36
11-10-2007, 09:54 AM
Does anyone have any experience with noise reduction for v-drives? The wife has to wear ear plugs.

76schiada
11-10-2007, 10:00 AM
leave her at home:D

Unchained
11-10-2007, 10:12 AM
I was going to respond but when I saw that you don't have any info about yourself at all or even where you live...........I'll pass.

flattie
11-10-2007, 10:15 AM
I highly agree I have went thru several women to find the one Im with now. She thinks the harder the blower surge is and and the louder the boat is the better the boat she is in LOL :)

flattie
11-10-2007, 10:17 AM
take the straight cut gears out of it and mail them to me and purchase diffrent set of gears that dont make so much noise

ssmike
11-10-2007, 11:12 AM
time for a trade in!!

rrrr
11-10-2007, 11:55 AM
leave her at home:D
Surprised it took so long for the answer to pop up........six minutes. LOL!! :D

coolchange
11-10-2007, 12:04 PM
time for a trade in!!
If it were only that simple. Lawyers, custody, property division etc. Maybe he should just try and quite the box down. (gear box I mean.)

infotraker
11-10-2007, 01:42 PM
Running water thru the vdrive may quiet the box and also cool it.

snake321
11-10-2007, 01:48 PM
Sorry to hear about your divorce...

SKIA36
11-10-2007, 02:37 PM
Thank you all so much for the usefull information, I am sure glad I asked a bunch of smart a**es for help

SKIA36
11-10-2007, 02:38 PM
Thank you infotraker, it has water cooling now.

sleekcrafter
11-10-2007, 02:48 PM
Thank you all so much for the usefull information, I am sure glad I asked a bunch of smart a**es for help
It's the price you pay to make the woman happy:D

Racey
11-10-2007, 03:26 PM
If you knew Skia36's wife you'd reconsider the trade in option :D
She's a definite keeper!

sleekcrafter
11-10-2007, 03:31 PM
I need ear plugs to drown out the wife:D

79 Howard
11-10-2007, 03:52 PM
Maybe it is the blower whine, I had to go to a 21 foot with a hatch cover to make mine happy and satified myself while we were at tit

Bow Tie Omega
11-10-2007, 04:03 PM
The ear muffs that hunters and marksman use......I put them on the 3 year old, he instantly went from being scared shiotless of the boat to loving it. FOr the wife, get the ear muffs, shove an apple in her mouth and keep it in with duct tape:D Her ears will not hurt and you will not have to hear her bitch about something else;)
All kidding aside, the ear muffs for shooting work really well,they are pretty comfortable and you can get a pair for under $20.00

V-DRIVE VIDEO
11-10-2007, 05:22 PM
Does anyone have any experience with noise reduction for v-drives? The wife has to wear ear plugs.
You need to meet in the middle...
My wife doesn't care for noisy boats either but she won't go to the trouble of putting me out over it. Its pretty simple, my wife knows and respects that there are things in life that I enjoy. She knew of these things before we were married. On the flip side I recognize and respect her hobbies.
My wife doesn't care for but will tolerate riding in my cars and boats.
I don't care for but tolerate having to ride in her honda civic from time to time. C, its all about compromise! :D
-Jerry (aka Dr. Phil)

Scapegoat1
11-10-2007, 05:29 PM
If she wears ear plugs what's the problem,
my wife hated the noise factor at first, I told her it is my hobby I want her to enjoy with me. Today I have a bigger boat loader motor and she fronted the down payment all because she said it has an open bow which she wanted the size and power which I wanted. I even let her hear it run and make the final decision, since this is my 4th boat.:D

Church Mouse
11-10-2007, 05:41 PM
Thats why I'm NOT married.

BILLY.B
11-10-2007, 05:47 PM
You need to meet in the middle...
My wife doesn't care for noisy boats either but she won't go to the trouble of putting me out over it. Its pretty simple, my wife knows and respects that there are things in life that I enjoy. She knew of these things before we were married. On the flip side I recognize and respect her hobbies.
My wife doesn't care for but will tolerate riding in my cars and boats.
I don't care for but tolerate having to ride in her honda civic from time to time. C, its all about compromise! :D
-Jerry (aka Dr. Phil) Yeah and Dr. Laura says you need to grow some and throw out the import!!!!:)

BILLY.B
11-10-2007, 05:49 PM
Thats why I'm NOT married.Thats cause most women like to run in a boat that goes over 85mph!!!!:idea: :eek: :D

V-DRIVE VIDEO
11-10-2007, 06:33 PM
Yeah and Dr. Laura says you need to grow some and throw out the import!!!!:)
I don't throw out my wifes stuff. When she a wants new car she will buy one (with her own money). Its just like the boat deal, if she wants a boat that better fits her likes she can go buy one of those too (yes, with her money) ;)
Its all about having your own freedom while maintaining an equal partnership. :)
Dr. Phil

HemiDude
11-10-2007, 06:56 PM
Don't take your wife, next time call the girlfriend--she doesn't care...:D

Morg
11-10-2007, 07:02 PM
Yeah and Dr. Laura says you need to grow some and throw out the import!!!!:)
Nice chief,
First time in weeks you have something to say & you jump in like the grand pubbah of the grand order of water buffalo's.
Imports are great grocery getters for the young family. Or middle aged would be advice giver people....
Holy crap the boards are dead.
BTW- Back to the subject at hand. Get the little women behind the wheel. She may ignore the noise a little more if she enjoys the ride more. It only took my wife 3 years to drive my deal, much less ride in it.

Kindsvater Flat
11-10-2007, 08:06 PM
In 8 yrs of having the boat the wife has been out 3 times in it with me. In the 2 yrs of having the harley, she has logged one 20 mile ride. Fine by me if she would rather stay home. No bitching that way

ol guy
11-10-2007, 09:13 PM
Qwik fix. Take her for half a ride,eliminates the lawyers and is only the cost of feul. Just don't post it here. Opps did I say that outloud???

Budweiser
11-10-2007, 11:07 PM
Is this one complaint of a few, or many? If it's one of many I'd say leave it noisy... You won't have to listen to her for at least a couple hours a weekend:D If it's one of a few, and you're interested in accommodating her, let's figure it out.
Is it the gear box or the engine that's too noisy? My original impression was that it was the engine:confused:
-Seth-

WannabeRacing
11-12-2007, 10:42 AM
If the v-drive is that noisy, take the 12 degree gears out of the 10 degree gear box. That will really quiet the v-drive down a substantial margin.
Seth, you have a really good point. But if he means the engine, he really missed that in his original post.

dmontzsta
11-12-2007, 11:15 AM
Tell her not to ride in it, if she doesn't like it.
or
Buy yourself a wuss boat. :D

Marty Gras
11-12-2007, 11:36 AM
I'm guessing it's the header noise, it can give headaches to those who "don't understand the music". If you have headers try installing braces, then (clamp on) 45 degree turn down tail pipes on the ends of the collectors. Install a 'force fed water pickup' 1/2" (#8) on a cav plate. Run the line into the boat, 'T' it into two 3/8" (#6) lines and go out to the new tail pipes. Install line to each tail pipe. The turn downs direct the noise down at the water and 'the faster you go, the more quiet it becomes'. Installing water at the end of the pipes prevents reversion too.

SKIA36
11-12-2007, 09:01 PM
I wish it was that simple, The engine is an EFI Gentry Turbocharged unit from Brummett, It passes all the noise tests at Arrowhead, the exhaust not very loud, less than 88db. The noise is v-drive/ drive line related. Does anyone have any experience with lapped gears?

steve d
11-12-2007, 09:21 PM
Let me give it a shot:
.........Is the inside of your boat wide open or do you have floor boards, back seat and an engine cover. All these factors contribute to lowering the resonance caused by harmonics and v- drive noise. If not..........I believe it's the nature of the beast.......steve

SKIA36
11-13-2007, 09:40 AM
The boat has full interior, engine hatch, back seat, etc. We also put Dynamat inside the floor boards to dampen the noise. It may be the nature of the beast ,but I'd like to see how much I can reduce the annoyance. We like to listen to the tunes when cruising, so reducing the ambient interference would help. I guess I could buy the wife an Ipod headset...

HONDOUGH
11-13-2007, 04:53 PM
I don't throw out my wifes stuff. When she a wants new car she will buy one (with her own money). Its just like the boat deal, if she wants a boat that better fits her likes she can go buy one of those too (yes, with her money) ;)
Its all about having your own freedom while maintaining an equal partnership. :)
Dr. Phil
Hey big jerry, shouldnt it be our money! :sqeyes:

Budweiser
11-13-2007, 05:06 PM
Is it possible you have straight cut gears in the box? Helical gears will definitely reduce noise if that's the case.
Can you post some pics of your set-up? Also, you've got me curious as to how loud it really is, any video?

V-DRIVE VIDEO
11-14-2007, 08:35 AM
Hey big jerry, shouldnt it be our money! :sqeyes:
Absolutely! She has her money and I have mine, together you could call that ours. ;)

HONDOUGH
11-14-2007, 04:52 PM
Absolutely! She has her money and I have mine, together you could call that ours. ;)
I like your thinkin!!!!

Boatmike
11-14-2007, 09:11 PM
Get the little women behind the wheel. She may ignore the noise a little more if she enjoys the ride more.
Morg you are absolutly right! That is what i have done with every boat i have taken my wife in. You can also add some mufflers, water injection into the headers all which can easly be removed when you go out with the boys!;)

steveo143
11-16-2007, 08:49 AM
What type of v-drive are you running? If it's a split case Casale you could go to a C-500 which is much quieter.

SKIA36
11-27-2007, 08:57 PM
Thanks guys,
Pictures of the boat are avilable at Racey's website...raceyindustries.com, projects, SR22. I believe the gears are straight cut and large...60s

Hagatha
11-27-2007, 09:17 PM
If it don't have a blower and zoomies, I won't ride in it!