PDA

View Full Version : How does a raked front end affect the ride?

Boozer
11-10-2007, 02:55 PM
So I've been cruising Craigslist a lot lately and have found some killer deals on used Harleys. I'm determined at this point to pick one up but I was wondering how many of you have had experience with a raked front end?
Right now I'm torn between a bobber style chopper and a stretched raked out style chopper. I like the raked and stretched look the best but I'm wondering how much it affects the ride quality and handling of the bike.
I'd like to ride the bike from Denver to Sturgis at some point so the thing has to be somewhat comfy for riding 6-7 hours straight.

topless
11-10-2007, 03:07 PM
So I've been cruising Craigslist a lot lately and have found some killer deals on used Harleys. I'm determined at this point to pick one up but I was wondering how many of you have had experience with a raked front end?
Right now I'm torn between a bobber style chopper and a stretched raked out style chopper. I like the raked and stretched look the best but I'm wondering how much it affects the ride quality and handling of the bike.
I'd like to ride the bike from Denver to Sturgis at some point so the thing has to be somewhat comfy for riding 6-7 hours straight.
Boozer, are you becoming a baller or something?:idea:

Boozer
11-10-2007, 03:09 PM
Boozer, are you becoming a baller or something?:idea:
Hardly. Just trying to justify the madness of work by picking up a few toys.

topless
11-10-2007, 03:13 PM
Hardly. Just trying to justify the madness of work by picking up a few toys.Next thing you know, you'll be bitching about some guy going to slow and almost making you spin out in the reeds or something.

riverbound
11-10-2007, 03:33 PM
If you go too far raked it will handle poorly. I ride a raked out chopper and everything else down to a stock sportster. I wouldnt ride the chopper for 6-7 hours straight though. I find about 250 miles the max to put on this in one day. for longer runs I will use the indan in the background.
http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c146/Riverbound/IMAGE_00035.jpg
For really long rides its this.
http://i9.ebayimg.com/03/i/000/c2/2a/19c2_1.JPG

snake321
11-10-2007, 03:50 PM
Raked, but not enough, makes it handle poorly.

MADDOG355
11-10-2007, 04:16 PM
My old Shovel was about 38 degrees of rake and sufferd from what is commenly called "flop". This is not a issue on factory type customs, Big Dog, Titan, and such. But it is pretty common on the custom builds.
FLOP is a product of improper trail and rake. To keep it simple it basicly means when you turn the bars to the left or right it actually lowers the front of the bike. Basicly making the front of the bike want to "flop" to the side.
http://i227.photobucket.com/albums/dd84/maddog355/bike.jpg
Also you need to remember the term "SPECAL CONSTRUCTION".
That is what any one off construction is registerd as and alot of ins companeys will not cover them at all.
Also things like aftermarket motors, cases, and frames all change the registration to a special construction or rebuilt wreck.
Also the special construction and rebuilt bikes don't hold value like it would if it said Harley on the title.