PDA

View Full Version : Amoeba Causes Building Permits to drop!

Boatcop
11-10-2007, 07:10 PM
What a bunch of idiots.
Building permits continue to plummet
Addition-alteration permits on the rise
By Tony Raap
Friday, November 9, 2007 9:30 PM MST
The already bleak housing picture grew even darker Friday as officials announced that home construction tumbled yet again last month, plunging to its lowest level in more than 20 years.
The latest snapshot of the cityÂ’s building activity, released this week by the Development Services Department, showed that the city in October issued seven single-family building permits, the lowest monthly total since October 1983.
“I have never seen it that low for one month,” said Bud Schulz, executive director of the Colorado River Building Industry Association. “This is about as low as it’s ever been.”
Media coverage of a rare amoeba that killed a Lake Havasu City teenager in September might have played a factor, Schulz said. Most of the reports, particularly those done by the national news media, were “sensationalistic,” he said.
The Naegleria fowleri amoeba made headlines worldwide when it killed Aaron Evans, a Lake Havasu High School freshman who contracted the amoeba while swimming in Lake Havasu.
Essentially, the amoeba enters the body through the nose and travels to the brain, where it feeds until the person dies, prompting several media outlets to refer to it as a “brain-eating amoeba.”
“We really don’t know,” Schulz said of whether there was a direct link between the amoeba coverage and the drop in building permits.
He was more adamant about the effect of proposed impact fees, which would shift the burden of expanding city services from taxpayers as a whole to developers responsible for the growth in population.
A plan by city leaders to impose impact fees on builders would only exacerbate the building industryÂ’s struggles, he said. Under the plan, an $8,000 impact fee would be added to every new home built in city limits.
“How much more are we going to burden the existing unimproved lots before no one will pull any permits at all?” Schulz said. “In order for the impact fees to bring additional revenue to the city, people are going to have to build.”
The national housing market isnÂ’t all that healthy either. Builders nationwide slashed investments in housing projects by 20.1 percent in the third quarter, the largest drop in a year, according to The Associated Press.
“It’s all over the country. I don’t think it’s just Lake Havasu,” said Diane Wildfang, developer of the Sailing Hawks master-planned community, a north-side residential development.
Despite the drop in single-family building permits, the number of additions and alterations rose sharply in October. The city issued 88 such permits last month, up from 67 in September.
Those figures “look pretty good primarily because people are staying in their houses and refurbishing them rather than building new houses,” Schulz said.
John Rudolf contributed to this story. You may contact the reporter at raap@havasunews.com.

Redneck
11-10-2007, 07:15 PM
good less people moving here and that means less people onthe lake

Moneypitt
11-10-2007, 07:17 PM
Now these idiot speculators that drive the housing prices up are buying oil futures at $95+ per barrel, driving gas prices through the roof. Experts say there is no shortage of oil, in fact there is a surplus due to less demand. Yet because of these "speculators" driving the price up, gas prices are inflated. ...MP

Racey
11-10-2007, 07:54 PM
I would think the current mortgage 'crisis' has more to do with it than the amoeba.. :idea:

77charger
11-10-2007, 07:58 PM
IMO just another way to hide the truth home equity line of credits are drying up.people and/or are spending less.Look at the market for boats and toys it is pretty sad uness you area buyer with money to spend.
I aint either a seller or a buyer.But wish i hd the money to buy right now!!

Kachina26
11-10-2007, 11:37 PM
good less people moving here and that means less people onthe lake
You sound like a guy that was born and raised in Havi:rolleyes: :D:D

hoolign
11-10-2007, 11:45 PM
IMO just another way to hide the truth home equity line of credits are drying up.people and/or are spending less.Look at the market for boats and toys it is pretty sad uness you area buyer with money to spend.
I aint either a seller or a buyer.But wish i hd the money to buy right now!!
Take a second mortgage :D :D ..I kill me :D

hoolign
11-10-2007, 11:49 PM
Now these idiot speculators that drive the housing prices up are buying oil futures at $95+ per barrel, driving gas prices through the roof. Experts say there is no shortage of oil, in fact there is a surplus due to less demand. Yet because of these "speculators" driving the price up, gas prices are inflated. ...MP
:idea:

BajaMike
11-11-2007, 12:36 AM
""He was more adamant about the effect of proposed impact fees, which would shift the burden of expanding city services from taxpayers as a whole to developers responsible for the growth in population.
A plan by city leaders to impose impact fees on builders would only exacerbate the building industryÂ’s struggles, he said. Under the plan, an $8,000 impact fee would be added to every new home built in city limits.""
$8000 "impact fee" to build......wow.....:idea:
That should "impact" the number of new building permits.........:jawdrop:

Boatcop
11-11-2007, 05:43 AM
""He was more adamant about the effect of proposed impact fees, which would shift the burden of expanding city services from taxpayers as a whole to developers responsible for the growth in population.
A plan by city leaders to impose impact fees on builders would only exacerbate the building industryÂ’s struggles, he said. Under the plan, an $8,000 impact fee would be added to every new home built in city limits.""
$8000 "impact fee" to build......wow.....:idea:
That should "impact" the number of new building permits.........:jawdrop:
I can see impact fees being imposed on new developments where no infrastructure exists. After all, the roads, water, sewer, police, fire, costs the city to put in. But to impose it on a someone who's building on a lot in a neighborhood that has been there for 20 years is a little out of line, and is just another "tax" on builders and owners. A tax that isn't deductible on Federal Returns.

Not So Fast
11-11-2007, 06:41 AM
The optimists are always looking thru rose colored glasses. How many threads have there been from folks in the realtor type businesses that for the past year have been saying "everything is fine, just a little lull, things are moving"??? Right, the bottom is yet to come IMO. Guess I'd say the same if I was dying on the vine also:( NSF

maxwedge
11-11-2007, 06:45 AM
Trust me $8000 per building is a lot of money for residential construction, and building will likely pretty much cease. At least it would around here. There just isn't that much margin to be had. The company I used to work for was building condo's in a small town near here. In fact builders from everywhere where buying up cheap lots and contruction was through the roof for a couple of years, until the town decided they were going to pay for their new water treatment plant by adding a $4000 fee to every new home permit, instead of spreading it around on everybodys property tax or something. Before that the total of all fees was about $400 per home, so it was a huge increase. It pretty well killed us. That adds up to several hundred thousand in unexpected costs if you are doing even a small condo development, and it basically ate up any and all profits they might of had. Half of those lots are now sitting empty as are lots all around the city. Now there are developments going up just outside the city limits instead.
Also it's pretty common, around here anyway, that roads, water and sewer lines are paid for and put in by the developer and then given to the city, which means that they are basically part of the developers cost anyway. The city is resposible for maintaing them after the fact, but that is theoretically paid for with new property tax.