PDA

View Full Version : What's the diff between the various Berk. pumps?

jester
05-13-2002, 07:35 AM
I know there are a few versions/models of Berk. pumps (JG, JE, JC..)just curious what the differences are. Anybody? Thanks, Jester

froggystyle
05-13-2002, 08:06 AM
There are a couple of websites that explain in great detail, but in short...
JE is designed as an "insert pump" that bolts in to a fiberglassed recess in the boat, and just has a driveshaft protruding into the hull. The pump works well, but is not normally considered for High Performance applications because of the more radical water angle/path between the intake and impeller. (You lose some efficiency)
JC is nearly identical to the JG, and shares the same suction piece but has a one-piece bowl design that does not allow a droop to be bolted on. This is a good pump, and some even claim a performance increase over the JG due to a slightly different bowl design. (Longer vanes)
JG is the "standard" Berk race pump that has been used forever. It has the standard intake and suction piece common with the JC, but pressurizes into a "split bowl" that allows you to bolt contraptions to the rear of the pump such as droop snoots and different nozzles. Ride plates also like to bolt to this arrangement. When most people purchase a high performance pump, this is the design most opt for. Other companies have copied this design for it's flexibility and parts availability.
Hope this helped.

jester
05-13-2002, 08:27 AM
Thanks froggy! I was pretty sure I had a JG in my boat (it is) but my droop is stamped "JBE" and I was beginning to second guess it. Is there any way to tell what impeller I have without removing it?

flat broke
05-13-2002, 08:32 AM
Originally posted by jester:
I know there are a few versions/models of Berk. pumps (JG, JE, JC..)just curious what the differences are. Anybody? Thanks, Jester
Okay Jester, Here goes.
First there was the Berkeley JA pump, which was later upgraded to the JC pump. These guys have the suction piece mounted to the intake flange inside the boat and have a bowl with a cast in steering adapter. The C and A bowls cannot accpet bolt on accessories like a droop, but can utilize a Place diverter as it is mounted in place of the existing steering nozzle. Below is a picture of a JA/JC style bowl. For the complete pump picture check out the JB/JG/JI description.
http://www.hi-techperformance.com/images/bbowl1.jpg
Next there is the JB which later gave way to the JG and now JI pumps. These pumps are the same as the JC/JA design with the exception of the fact that they have a split bowl design which allows you to bolt on accessories like droops and wedges. Once again the pump mounts to an intake flange inside the boat.
http://www.hi-techperformance.com/images/12-JC.GIF
Last there are the JE and JF pumps. These pumps are refered to as insert pumps because the intake and suction piece are housed in an insert that is laid into the mold of a hull prior to lamination. In this setup, the overall length of the pump is a little shorter and moves the hand hole and bowl to suction piece joint outside of the transom. Because of the steeper intake angle (due to shorter intake) these pumps are regarded as less desireable in high performance 550hp + than a JA/JC/JB/JG/JI pump because the water must make a tighter bend up into the intake. The benefit of this pump is that i requires less space inside the boat and facilitates easy bowl swaps in stock configuration. The JE, has a bowl with cast in steering adapter similar to the JA/JC; while the JF is a split bowl design like the JB/JG/JI. The only interchangeable parts between the JE/JF and the rest of the families are the Bowls. Other pieces may be able to be swapped, but typically you will have to modify them in some fashion as the JE/JF pumps use a different steering and reverse setup than the other pumps.
http://www.hi-techperformance.com/images/12-JE.GIF
There are lots of other differences between all of the pumps such as casting thicknesses, vane lengths, etc. but dishing ou that information could take quite some time, and I'd go to someone like Jack at MPD for the subtle differences between all of the bowls.
Hope that helped,
Chris www.liquidaddiction.net (http://www.liquidaddiction.net)

jester
05-13-2002, 08:59 AM
Yet again, I've learned something new. I had no idea there were so many pump versions. I am now certain that my pump is a JF. Thanks!!

mikey
05-13-2002, 10:03 AM
Originally posted by jester:
The first Berkeley pumps (almost all built in the 60’s) had the bowl mounted in side the boat, only the nozzle system was exposed outside the hull. The first nozzle was a manifold system that looked like an up side down horseshoe with a hole in the middle. The assembly could move side-to-side moving the discharge hole left or right of center to steer the boat. To back the boat, the unit would lower below the bottom of the boat, Water was channeled through the manifold under the hull, again moving left or right of center to steer. The system did not last long and was replaced with a nozzle that is similar to the one used today. The biggest difference was the way the rudder mounted and the attachment of the reverse cable. Both pumps were split bowl design. The first pump with the bowl exposed outside the hull was the 12JB. Again it was a split bowl and used the same nozzle as the pump it replaced. The 12JC was the first with the new one-piece bowl. On the first units the old nozzle was carried over, but was later replaced with the current style. The new nozzle has a mounting ring cast on the back for rudder attachment (early units had a dovetail design). The reverse system changed, now using a 43BC cable (old units had the 43C) that mounted through the tiller arm. The next big change came with the 12JE. The ‘E’ was the first insert pump, the hull had to be molded for the pump to mount. Berkeley came up with a jet trim nozzle for the insert pump and called the new model the 12JF pump. The new trim was added to the 12JC and it became the 12JI. The 12JC, F & I all were one piece bowls. The 12JG uses the 12JC nozzle system but has the split bowl design of the early 12JB. The 12JG actually replaced the 12JB pump. The 12JR is the race pump version using the split bowl, droop snoot and special low drag reverse bucket along with other performance modifications. C P Performance bought the Berkeley Pump Company and produces the 12JG, 12JF and 12JI. The new 12JI use the Place Diverter instead of the original Berkeley trim. They also have parts for the older units including the early Jet-A-Vator and electric control unit.
Mike

Duane HTP
05-13-2002, 07:01 PM
but my droop is stamped "JBE"
Your droop was made by a company in Oklahoma known as Jet Boat Engineering.