PDA

View Full Version : Veteran's Day 2007

Ike
11-11-2007, 12:04 PM
As a fellow veteran, on this Veteran's Day I salute all of the men and women who have served in our Armed Forces; Army, Navy, Marines, Air Force and Coast Guard. I give a special salute to all those who have served in combat and put themselves in harm's way so the rest of us may continue to enjoy the freedoms we cherish so much.
It is is my sincere hope that once Veteran's Day is over and all the hoopla, as well meaning as it is, dies down, that we will not then forget the wounded and disabled veterans who need ongoing treatment, the thousands of veterans who are homeless, and without jobs. It amazes me that as a nation we can send our troops off to war with grand promises for them after the war, and then forget all about it. Few of our elected officials are veterans. But they get better medical treatment than our veterans do. None of them are without jobs and homeless.
They need to act now to change this and to ensure that all our veterans, especially those who have fought for this country get the treatment they need. They need to make sure these people come back to meaningful jobs, and that they have places to live. Only by treating our veterans with the respect they deserve, will they have respect for themselves. For those that need occupational training, it should be readily available. For those who wish to go to college, their tuiton should be funded. We need to do this now. Already there are at least 25,000 who have been wounded in combat in Iraq and Afghanistan, and there will be many many more. We need to act now.
So salute a veteran today. But tomorrow, see what else you can do for our veterans.
Peter Eikenberry LT USCG (ret)

Old Man Havasu
11-11-2007, 03:37 PM
The flag is flying today for all that have served and are serving now!

smoker
11-11-2007, 05:21 PM
ttt