PDA

View Full Version : Eagle at the river......

RiverToysJas
11-11-2007, 09:51 PM
Took the boat out of Needles Saturday for a lunch run to Havasu Landing. Stopped at the sandbar for a little while in the late afternoon, then just before sun down started back up to Needles. At the end of the big sweeping left heading away from the sandbar we saw this fella sitting on top of a tall rock next to the river....
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/eagle.jpg
Spun the boat around stopped, got this photo before he took off and landed on the next ridge up the away from the river. Awesome sight though!!!! I didn't know Eagles were in Western Az......someone please correct me if that is some other kind of bird! Looked like an Eagle to us!!!
Then today we found this guy in the road....
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/spider1.jpg
And a little later walked up on this monster...
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/snake.jpg
RTJas :D

HocusPocus
11-11-2007, 09:55 PM
looks like a wild kingdom episode. :D

RiverToysJas
11-11-2007, 09:58 PM
looks like a wild kingdom episode. :D
No $hit! :D Feels like we saw more wildlife in the last 48 hours than we've seen in the last 10 years of river trips!!! :rolleyes: :D

Magic34
11-11-2007, 10:06 PM
The upper river at Lake Pleasant here in Phoenix is closed at the beginning of boating season because the bald eagles are having babies or something.
They are here as your picture shows.
It is either a bald eagle or that seagull from San Franscisco still has a dirty body.

BajaMike
11-11-2007, 10:07 PM
Beautiful.......
I didn't know bald eagles came that far south......:idea:
Very cool........

sanger rat
11-11-2007, 11:01 PM
I see 4-5 of them a week. Two summers ago I had one come flying out of a tree and flew right beside me as I went down the river.:) Kept looking at me like I was some kind of fish or something.

RiverToysJas
11-12-2007, 06:50 AM
I see 4-5 of them a week. Two summers ago I had one come flying out of a tree and flew right beside me as I went down the river.:) Kept looking at me like I was some kind of fish or something.
That's awesome.
A few years ago we were up in Black Canyon going to Hoover Dam and a duck started flying along side us. I kept pushing the throttle up and he stayed with us. Running ~ 50mph still hanging with us. Then he drifted away and took off up a side canyon.....we figured he was going somewhere. just ahead was a twist in the river, and we made the a 90 degree right turn and then in ~ 1/4 mile we turned back left. As we made the following turn that same duck came down out of the canyon and right along side again, he'd cut the turn and went over the mountain! At that point we stopped and fed him. :D
I doubt that Eagle would of wanted our bread and potato chips though. lol...

squirt'nmyload
11-12-2007, 07:04 AM
did you notice all the animals out yesterday??? we saw the donkeys, a bunch of cattle and a bunch of coyotes. everywhere we stopped they were all grazing along the shorelines. man i love this time of year out there.
The upper river at Lake Pleasant here in Phoenix is closed at the beginning of boating season because the bald eagles are having babies or something.
They are here as your picture shows.
It is either a bald eagle or that seagull from San Franscisco still has a dirty body.

Cigalert
11-12-2007, 07:05 AM
My buddy and I were fishing about 200 yards off the rocks a few coves north of Avalon. I saw a bald eagle sitting in a nest along a cliff. It spotted something off the stern of our boat and bombed straight down, picked up a fish about 30 feet from the boat and took it back up to the nest. We didn't say anything for a few minutes. Absolutely amazing to see in person, huge wingspan and beautiful in flight.

uvindex
11-12-2007, 07:07 AM
I didn't know bald eagles came that far south......:idea: From eagles.org: "Bald Eagles live near large bodies of open water such as lakes, marshes, seacoasts and rivers, where there are plenty of fish to eat and tall trees for nesting and roosting. Bald Eagles have a presence in every U. S. state except Hawaii. Bald Eagles use a specific territory for nesting, winter feeding or a year-round residence. Its natural domain is from Alaska to Baja, California, and from Maine to Florida. Bald Eagles that reside in the northern U. S. and Canada migrate to the warmer southern climates of the U. S. during the winter to obtain easier access to food, especially fish. Some Bald Eagles that reside in the southern U. S. migrate slightly north during the hot summer months."
Saw a baldy in my backyard (Tampa) last week. Wish I would have gotten a pic. :)

lawbreaker2
11-12-2007, 07:11 AM
See, proof, your load boats are scaring all the animals away, I think we should closed off the whole river, and the lands around it, so the animals can come out and play, :idea: Now you know what the Enviro's are thinking. :rolleyes:

DelawareDave
11-12-2007, 07:15 AM
Then today we found this guy in the road....
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/spider1.jpg
Years ago, coming out of Tortilla Flats, on a dirt road, we saw hundreds of tarantulas on the road. It looked like some sort of migration. You couldn't help but run some of them over. :jawdrop:
Another time on Rt 666, I stopped to look at one along the road. He reared up and went into "attack" mode. I stuck my finger down by him, and he actually struck my gloved finger, and I felt the "thump". Little guy had a lotta nerve, lol. :D

squirt'nmyload
11-12-2007, 07:16 AM
That's awesome.
A few years ago we were up in Black Canyon going to Hoover Dam and a duck started flying along side us. I kept pushing the throttle up and he stayed with us. Running ~ 50mph still hanging with us. Then he drifted away and took off up a side canyon.....we figured he was going somewhere. just ahead was a twist in the river, and we made the a 90 degree right turn and then in ~ 1/4 mile we turned back left. As we made the following turn that same duck came down out of the canyon and right along side again, he'd cut the turn and went over the mountain! At that point we stopped and fed him. :D
I doubt that Eagle would of wanted our bread and potato chips though. lol...
lol...i had a duck fly into the side of my boat yesterday....he bounced off the side and when he went behind us he flew right into my roost and got blown away. i stopped and went back to him and he looked pretty dazed :D

boatnam2
11-12-2007, 07:49 AM
I was expecting henley at the bluewater:D

Classic Daycruiser
11-12-2007, 09:41 AM
Rexone is that you:jawdrop: :jawdrop: :idea:

Debbolas
11-12-2007, 01:46 PM
nice pics jason!
:D

DeltaSigBoater