PDA

View Full Version : Jeep vs Rhino

MBlaster
11-12-2007, 07:59 AM
Rhino's with a few mods seem to be priced well north of 13K. And then you need a trailer to get it to the desert.
A have seen some really nicely modified Jeeps with ARB lockers etc, for about 15K. The jeep can be towed 4 wheels down or you can drive it to the desert.
Having driven one I still don't understand the Rhino hype.

Jbb
11-12-2007, 08:02 AM
Wonder how many pages this will be before
lunch.............:D

yopengo
11-12-2007, 08:07 AM
http://i165.photobucket.com/albums/u46/yopengo/moof1.gif

2forcefull
11-12-2007, 08:12 AM
Rhino's with a few mods seem to be priced well north of 13K. And then you need a trailer to get it to the desert.
A have seen some really nicely modified Jeeps with ARB lockers etc, for about 15K. The jeep can be towed 4 wheels down or you can drive it to the desert.
Having driven one I still don't understand the Rhino hype.
rhinos don't compare to jeeps. it's like comparing a riding lawn mower to a tractor,
the problem is space, and hauling.
most people don't have just a jeep or just a rhino, they have
toy box trailers that they have to put moms quad the kids quad and a
rhino, or a sandrail and a rhino.
the jeep takes the whole trailer if it will fit at all.

pw_Tony
11-12-2007, 08:13 AM
Well people we're spending decent money on the XR50's when they came out..... I wonder how long the Rhino thing will last? :idea:

INSman
11-12-2007, 08:20 AM
Different strokes for different folks, pretty much comes down to your individual needs and activities. The rhino just so happens to work for us and the kids love it. :)
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/dsc01786.jpg

Lightning
11-12-2007, 08:20 AM
I don't get it myself, then again I've never ridden in one - so what do I know. If I was in the market for another toy - I would consider a used $2K-$4k jeep before a Rhino. At least you can use the jeep to launch the boat.

Mrs. casean
11-12-2007, 08:25 AM
Ideally if you have a Jeep you will have an RV to tow it... we sold our Rhino since I still prefer to ride my quad over it and we weren't using it enough to have a 10K + toy in the garage. Now we have a jeep and it's my daily vehicle, but the downfall now is we will be driving separately when we want to take it out to play in the dirt. We have a WW and still have my quad, 50 & golf cart to take down. Which is ok on the short trips like to Ocotillo Wells. But we've had a blast in it together and we can take more people which is nice. Plus come the time to put little babies in it, that's a plus for the Jeep vs. Rhino. I see so many people who try to put kids in it when they are tiny and they don't know how to keep the dust out of their mouth/nose and just get pissed back there so it's not fun and they end up heading back (at least w/ people in my group from what we've seen). So for us who is gearing up to start a family the jeep is right for us. The Baby can ride comfortably in the back and when they are tiny I can sit back there and hold the head :D Plus we can just wake up on a weekend and say, hey, let's head to Big Bear with the jeep... off we go and we can go play on the trails. Or anywhere for that matter. We (Sean) just lifted the Jeep this weekend so we look forward to seeing the difference over Thanksgiving weekend.
So there's a perspective from someone who has done both now. Maybe once we have kids and they are of age to ride or will enjoy a rhino we'll go back but for now the Jeep is far more practical for us.

Mrs. casean
11-12-2007, 08:29 AM
I don't get it myself, then again I've never ridden in one - so what do I know. If I was in the market for another toy - I would consider a used $2K-$4k jeep before a Rhino. At least you can use the jeep to launch the boat.
That's our other reasoning in selling the Rhino & getting a jeep, we can drive it to Parker, grab the boat from storage and launch the boat with it. I wouldn't tow it there, but from storage it's only a few minutes. So over all, the jeep had far more functions we were looking for.

MBlaster
11-12-2007, 08:35 AM
Good luck finding a used 2-4K jeep that you would actually own.

Cole Trickle
11-12-2007, 08:43 AM
My Rhino fits in the back of my truck. No slow trailering and I can carpool or fast track if need be.
I would love to own a jeep as a 3rd vehicle but $$$ wise it isn't in the cards.
Also they are both great off road. Jeep will be better at clearing boulders,tree trunks etc... Rhino will be much faster 80% of the time if there on the same terrain.

MBlaster
11-12-2007, 08:45 AM
This one is kinda expensive but pretty damn cool with all the goods.
http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.jsp?car_id=233266506&dealer_id=61448533&car_year=2002&model=WRANGLER&num_records=25&systime=1194885682734&make2=&start_year=1997&keywordsfyc=&keywordsrep=&engine=&certified=&body_code=0&fuel=&awsp=false&search_type=both&distance=75&marketZipError=false&search_lang=&make=JEEP&color=&page_location=findacar%3A%3Aispsearchform&min_price=0&drive=&default_sort=priceDESC&max_mileage=&style_flag=1&sort_type=priceDESC&address=90503&advanced=&end_year=2002&doors=&transmission=&max_price=20000&cardist=31

Mrs. casean
11-12-2007, 08:46 AM
My Rhino fits in the back of my truck. No slow trailering and I can carpool or fast track if need be.
I would love to own a jeep as a 3rd vehicle but $$$ wise it isn't in the cards.
Also they are both great off road. Jeep will be better at clearing boulders,tree trunks etc... Rhino will be much faster 80% of the time if there on the same terrain.
You just might be able to pass me now :D Damn it! :) Rhino is definitely faster!

Big Kahunaa
11-12-2007, 08:46 AM
you will spend some money on a jeep to make it ride as good as a rhino or ranger in stock form

Cole Trickle
11-12-2007, 08:57 AM
You just might be able to pass me now :D Damn it! :) Rhino is definitely faster!
I let you win;)
I think it was the budlight at boarmanville that tampered with my sheave:D:mad:

CornWater
11-12-2007, 09:15 AM
I don't understand. Are you upset that people choose Rhinos over jeeps? If you don't want one don't buy one, but why the hell does it matter what other people choose to buy?
:confused:

phebus
11-12-2007, 09:33 AM
I've got both, so I feel I can make a fair comparison.
The Jeep is great, can be driven to your riding destination, used as a daily driver, etc., but is more of a "car' experience when off roading as far as feeling like you are riding in something.
The Rhino is a great destination vehicle, and has to be hauled to your riding destination (unless you live in a state that allows road use such as AZ and you ride locally), but once your there, it feels more like you are part of the terrain, and the experience is way different than the Jeep. Much more of a dirt bike feel.
If I had to choose one, it would have to be the Jeep due to it's versatility, but they are two totally different vehicles, and you really can't compare the off road experience of the two. Also, the gap is further narrowed for us, as we live in Az and use it on the road as a fun way to cruise around town.

uLtRADeNniS
11-12-2007, 10:28 AM
I've been playing with the thought of a rhino or K5 Blazer for months now.
I would like to buy a K5 to leave at the river house. That way I can drive the car up(save gas). The Blazer would launch my boat, take me to the sandy beaches I spend my days at on the river and would tow my boat to any local service shop it needed.
Now If I buy a K5, I now would need something to cruise my neighborhood around in at night from house to house. A K5 wouldn't really be that fun for that. Now since I would have the Blazer I wouldn't need a Rhino, so I'd spend a few grand on another gas golf cart.
Now the problem with that is I don't have enough room at the house to store both. Now I have to look at whats most important to me... Driving the car up, Or getting through the sand with ease or cruising the hood. I decided that cruising the hood and getting to the beach would be best. So I will be purchasing a rhino in the near future!
So theres my reason! :D

OCMerrill
11-12-2007, 12:02 PM
I don't know much about Jeeps but I am very sure I would not be lending one to Bryan. :)
We dig ours. We flat tow it when we go out so no trailer yet. You just cannot beat the Rubicon package in the bang for the buck category but not completely necessary to still have tons of fun.
Never been in a Rhino but I read on a certain forum that they are the kind to own if your part of the in crowd.:D
The SXS (side x side) was to purpose specific for me. We drive our jeep open air almost all year and it's our third or back-up car if you will.

djunkie
11-12-2007, 12:50 PM
Wonder how many pages this will be before
lunch.............:D
Ya really. Rhinos suck!!!!!!! But it nice to load it in the back of the truck and not have to worry about towing to your destination. :D :D

djunkie
11-12-2007, 12:52 PM
I've got both, so I feel I can make a fair comparison.
The Jeep is great, can be driven to your riding destination, used as a daily driver, etc., but is more of a "car' experience when off roading as far as feeling like you are riding in something.
The Rhino is a great destination vehicle, and has to be hauled to your riding destination (unless you live in a state that allows road use such as AZ and you ride locally), but once your there, it feels more like you are part of the terrain, and the experience is way different than the Jeep. Much more of a dirt bike feel.
If I had to choose one, it would have to be the Jeep due to it's versatility, but they are two totally different vehicles, and you really can't compare the off road experience of the two. Also, the gap is further narrowed for us, as we live in Az and use it on the road as a fun way to cruise around town.
Check out Mr. Rhino hater all into that shit now. :jawdrop: When are you putting the better suspension on it you hurt back mo fo? :D :D :D

djunkie
11-12-2007, 12:57 PM
Heres my opinion like it really matters. Jeeps are great for that sunday leasure cruise offroad. Rhinos can be driven a little harder in the same terrain. If you say you could keep up with me in your jeep I call bullshit. Maybe on some narley rock shit but running in the desert forget about it. I'm still young and like to go fast so the Rhino is my choice. Not to mention I don't care about the back seat as I don't want passengers except for blondie. :D Another thing that makes the rhino a no brainer for me is the places we like to ride. A stock rhino will fit on all the quad trails where we like to ride in Lake Arrowhead. Theres no way a jeep will fit through baracades (sp) up there. :D :D