PDA

View Full Version : What does a Jetaway do?

disco_charger
05-06-2002, 06:27 PM
So?

Old Charger
05-06-2002, 06:41 PM
http://www.cpperformance.com/products/catalog/Jetaway.asp
Its like neutral for your jet boat...

Bitz
05-06-2002, 06:44 PM
Not an expert but I think there are two things you get:
First and probably most important is If you are out at high speed and motor dies the jetaway will let the pump freewheel. Without that or a popoff valve the intake will overload and the boat can do some nasty stuff.
Second and more important for us "slower boats" is that you can manually uncouple the motor from the drive and run the motor without spinning the jet drive (like say in the garage etc).

disco_charger
05-06-2002, 06:48 PM
Ok, I know I'm about to sound like an ignorant jackass, but I know that when the motor gives up we make a hard left (I think it's left.) Popoff valves used to be the answer for that. I honestly don't think I'm going that fast. That seems like a lot of money to be able to run my engine without hooking it up to the hose.
Disco the ignorant Jackass

future boater
05-06-2002, 06:51 PM
Originally posted by disco_charger:
Ok, I know I'm about to sound like an ignorant jackass, but I know that when the motor gives up we make a hard left (I think it's left.) Popoff valves used to be the answer for that. I honestly don't think I'm going that fast. That seems like a lot of money to be able to run my engine without hooking it up to the hose.
Disco the ignorant Jackass
your not supposed to run your JET out of the water the engine can handle it for a short time, but the jet cant handle it at all. it messes with the clearences....

disco_charger
05-06-2002, 06:59 PM
I've got a garden hose spliter that runs to the pump and the motor so there's water getting to it. Is that not enough? I always turn the hose on, then fire it. That's how the old trappers used to do it.
Disco

737jetmech
05-06-2002, 07:55 PM
This is what happened to me in a 58 mph boat. I was running down a river at about 50 mph when the engine stopped running. The boat made a hard left turn towards the river bank . My wife and I were lucky that a beach happened to be there. The boat came to rest about 30' from the water on the beach. Very Very Lucky that day and nobody was hurt. So I guess you have to ask your self how fast is fast??? Bob

flat broke
05-06-2002, 09:10 PM
Originally posted by disco_charger:
I've got a garden hose spliter that runs to the pump and the motor so there's water getting to it. Is that not enough? I always turn the hose on, then fire it. That's how the old trappers used to do it.
Disco
Disco,
Two things the hose can't do. First and most important is balance the impeller. When the jet is in the water, the resistance of the impeller moving water ballances it and keeps it from torquing over when you wrap the throttle. Now out of the water, the impeller and shaft will torque over in the direction of rotation and the impeller will then contact the wear ring, widening the tolerances between the two and lesseing your pumps efficiency. Not to mention throw additional load on your bearings and bushings because the shaft moves out of ecentricity more so than when the impeller is loaded in the water.
The second thing the hose can't do is adequately cool the packing material, so you end up cooking it and scoring your shaft over time. And I'm sure you can agree that no one wants a scored shaft http://free.***boat.net/ubb/wink.gif
Hope that helps clear things up,
Chris

project-speed
05-07-2002, 09:11 PM
i was going to start a new motor before i go to the lake just to make sure it starts. is this a bad idea. and why does the boat turn left if the motor dies. thanks