PDA

View Full Version : for those of you considering Vonage...

Midlife Advantage
03-03-2006, 10:42 AM
This article appeared in an engineering newsletter we receive here;
HOME BURNS WHEN VoIP 9-1-1 CALL FAILS TO REACH HELP
A five-alarm blaze destroyed a Minnesota home late last week when the homeowner tried to summon firefighters by making a 9-1-1 call using an Internet telephone service. According to the owner, his service provider placed the call on hold for several minutes before connecting him with emergency crews.
http://www.kstp.com/article/stories/S14441.html?cat=1
I think I will stick to good ol POTS for now... :)

topless
03-03-2006, 10:48 AM
If you scroll down right under the article, there is an ad for Vonage service starting at only 14.95 a month. I bet they don't get many takers off that ad. LMAO.

INSman
03-03-2006, 10:56 AM
I have VoIP service with a competitor and everyone with a brain that can read realizes that there are 911 limitations, which is why a cell phone is always a smart back-up. The service I have does carry 911 service, but they are only dispatched to the location that I had the unit shipped to and activated service from.

lawbreaker2
03-03-2006, 11:18 AM
Hell I have it to, but if my house is on fire I'm going to wait as long as I can before I call 9-1-1, Let it burn so I can get a new one. :D

lawbreaker2
03-03-2006, 11:20 AM
Beside I'll be to busy looking for the marshmellows to call 9-1-1 :idea:

ssmike
03-03-2006, 11:20 AM
This article appeared in an engineering newsletter we receive here;
HOME BURNS WHEN VoIP 9-1-1 CALL FAILS TO REACH HELP
A five-alarm blaze destroyed a Minnesota home late last week when the homeowner tried to summon firefighters by making a 9-1-1 call using an Internet telephone service. According to the owner, his service provider placed the call on hold for several minutes before connecting him with emergency crews.
http://www.kstp.com/article/stories/S14441.html?cat=1
I think I will stick to good ol POTS for now... :)
Is that really an issue with the internet connection or another problem?
What I mean is, did the internet connection impede the 911 call or did something else go wrong.
I have SunRocket (one main Vonage competitor) and love it. However, why didn't that person call 911 on the cell phone at the same time?

HighRoller
03-03-2006, 11:42 AM
I can't see how this is Vonage's fault in any way. When the law passed making it manadatory for them to disclose the possible shortcomings in the 911 policy, I got a call and an email EVERY DAY from them until I physically went to the website, upgraded my address info and checked a box saying I had read and understood the info. They very plainly explained that if your address is wrong the 911 calls would be useless. Also, they make it very clear that when the power goes out, so does your phone.
Yet another sad sack trying to blame others for their ignorance.

boater012
03-03-2006, 11:56 AM
My dads whole family lives in minnesota and not one of them even owns a cell phone! I went to visit two years ago and my cell phone didnt even have signal where I was! They may be a little behind the times.
Not beating up on minnesota just stating my experience! Id like to say its sad that so many people are so oversensitive on ***boat that I feel the need to have to put a disclaimer like that in every post!! :cool:

Midlife Advantage
03-03-2006, 11:59 AM
Is that really an issue with the internet connection or another problem?
What I mean is, did the internet connection impede the 911 call or did something else go wrong.
I have SunRocket (one main Vonage competitor) and love it. However, why didn't that person call 911 on the cell phone at the same time?
apparently they weren't smart enough to own a cell phone, cause like so many posts on this already, he just settled for being on hold! DUH!
I am curious however if this IP phone service has a caller ID with an address link, like regular 9-1-1. That is the real benefit of landline service, they know who and where you are instantly, whether or not you are able to talk in your current emergency/state of mind...

Midlife Advantage
03-03-2006, 12:00 PM
I can't see how this is Vonage's fault in any way. When the law passed making it manadatory for them to disclose the possible shortcomings in the 911 policy, I got a call and an email EVERY DAY from them until I physically went to the website, upgraded my address info and checked a box saying I had read and understood the info. They very plainly explained that if your address is wrong the 911 calls would be useless. Also, they make it very clear that when the power goes out, so does your phone.
Yet another sad sack trying to blame others for their ignorance.
OH. I read this after my other quote, so they have to register your address with you IP address, and if you move the computer, you have to correct it?

Racer277
03-03-2006, 12:02 PM
I am curious however if this IP phone service has a caller ID with an address link, like regular 9-1-1. That is the real benefit of landline service, they know who and where you are instantly, whether or not you are able to talk in your current emergency/state of mind...
This is one of the big advantages of VoIP.
They don't know where you are.
Makes it a little difficult to track the terrs though...

Midlife Advantage
03-03-2006, 12:02 PM
My dads whole family lives in minnesota and not one of them even owns a cell phone! I went to visit two years ago and my cell phone didnt even have signal where I was! They may be a little behind the times.
Not beating up on minnesota just stating my experience! Id like to say its sad that so many people are so oversensitive on ***boat that I feel the need to have to put a disclaimer like that in every post!! :cool:
oh yeah?! well its disclaimers like that that offend me! :220v: (heehee)

Midlife Advantage
03-03-2006, 12:04 PM
This is one of the big advantages of VoIP.
They don't know where you are.
Makes it a little difficult to track the terrs though...
uh-oh, I think racer spends some time making obscene IPhone calls.... :)

boater012
03-03-2006, 04:38 PM
Now im going to have to start putting a disclaimer about my disclaimer!! hahahahahahahahahahaha :crossx: :rolleyes:

J540
03-03-2006, 04:51 PM
Beside I'll be to busy looking for the marshmellows to call 9-1-1 :idea:
YEP. First call will be to the Good hands people

WHIPPED502
03-03-2006, 06:05 PM
You ever try making a 911 call on a cell phone. Often times the system is busy It also goes to CHP dispatch before it gets to your local dispatch. We tested the system once and it took over 4 minutes from the time I hung up the cell phone until we got the dispatch. Thats doesn't include the connect time and the time it takes for the dispatcher to take the info. Use your cell for 911 if you like playing with fire and getting burned. :)

al cole'holic
03-03-2006, 06:22 PM
..when my house was completely in flames with me trapped upstairs, I was on the floor with my land line ON HOLD for 911...still didn't get through by the time I had to bail out the 2nd story window, so I wouldn't be to quick to think VOIP's are a problem!

Jyruiz
03-03-2006, 08:32 PM
I have Vonage, when you get it, you setup the 911 calling with Vonage. So if you ever have to call 911, they will know where you live. They just didn't setup there 911 calling.

C-2
03-03-2006, 11:04 PM
Doesn't make sense.
What, the neighbors weren't home? :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

gqchris
03-04-2006, 12:34 PM
Now im going to have to start putting a disclaimer about my disclaimer!! hahahahahahahahahahaha :crossx: :rolleyes:
HAHAHA, but seriously, I dont even own a landline phone! Does that mean my house is going to burn down also?

396_WAYS_TO_SPIT
03-04-2006, 02:43 PM
Fock it, I have Vonage and I'll keep saving my 50 bucks a month over AT&T. Besides, if my house is on fire I'll be outside on my cell phone.
Not inside on the phone while its burning. :hammerhea
LOL, Thats what I was thinking :confused: :confused:

boater012
03-04-2006, 02:47 PM
HAHAHA, but seriously, I dont even own a landline phone! Does that mean my house is going to burn down also?
YES it does sir!!! :crossx: :yuk: J/K