PDA

View Full Version : I think my headers suck

cyclone
08-26-2003, 08:18 AM
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/45IMG_0864-med.JPG
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/45IMG_0866-med.JPG
Looks like i need oval primary tubes. i wonder how much power i'm losing due to the crappy flow from the head into the tubes?

Jordy
08-26-2003, 08:27 AM
Maybe you should put a Westech sticker on there to help seal it up. That would be good for another 453 horsepower or so. :D :D :D

FastRat1
08-26-2003, 08:49 AM
OUCH...looks like a bad flange (not wide enough..holes mis-drilled)...my suggestion would be...since they are ceramic coated...cut the flange between each branch and elongate the holes in each flange to match the exhaust port...just my 2 cents
p.s. they will also seal better individually rather than a single flange
Ron

kojac
08-26-2003, 09:06 AM
Cyclone'
A lot. I know some racer's have their headers camphered back from the heads to improve flow and reduce the rolling effect of the exhaust as it enters the header. They then have the headers stepped and or measured to take advantage of the positive and negative pulse waves of the exhaust. Based on your engine's horsepower and torque curve the headers can be made to increase the rpm capabilities of the motor.
On the dyno I have seen a 68 horsepower increase on a strong 468 chevy by changing the header lengths, and diameters. I suspect that there was a lot more to be gained By using the helmholz (spelling not correct) method of computing the right lengths and diameters but we just used the different header pieces available at the time.
There are professionals that can build the right headers for your engine but I doubt the the maximum could be built for your application due to your running water through the headers. I have seen programs that are available to help you calculate and design the right lengths and circumferences to take advantage of the wave pulse's for your particular application. Some of the better engine builders and machine shops may already have them.
Dale. :)

victorfb
08-26-2003, 09:09 AM
your right cyclone, those headers DO suck. i would be pissed and call the manufacturer right away. its obvious that the ports are not centered between the mounting holes. if you look closely you can see that the mounting holes are not equal distance to the adge of the port openings. but they do center to the burn pattern. bad manufacturing. elongating the holes would most likely fix the problem, but you will have to do that to all the holes. what a bummer.

OMEGA_BUBBLE_JET
08-26-2003, 09:19 AM
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/521/523329502902401.jpg a pair of these would look bitchin' and different too. I bet it would sound pretty awesome too. they come in 2 3/8" primaries also, which might help accomodate your monster ports better. Jeg's sells them for close to $700. but it would add to the cool effect and unique. definitely free up the exhaust. you should know how bad restrictive exhaust hurts performance....
Omega

cyclone
08-26-2003, 09:21 AM
and you think those square ports are large enough?

FryJet
08-26-2003, 09:33 AM
I cant stand the looks of those upswept headers. yuk
F.J.

cyclone
08-26-2003, 09:35 AM
i've never been a fan of them either. Anyone know why some companies build them upswept like that others make them straight back?

OMEGA_BUBBLE_JET
08-26-2003, 09:41 AM
I imagine the same reason top fuel and alcohol cars face them up. It's all about thrust. :D :D
Omega

victorfb
08-26-2003, 09:53 AM
im surprized the TOP header bolt heads didnt hit the primary tubes. (bottom holes in the pic)
i also dont like the thin flanges. MHO? take the headers to a good machinist, have him make you some new flanges that are 1/2" thick. cut off the old ones, weld on the new ones, and then have them surfaced for striaghtness. im betting he/she can use a good header gasket as a referance guide/template. the thicker flange will help keep the sealed and also keep from bending when over tightened.

victorfb
08-26-2003, 09:56 AM
the headers omega showed are for small block chevy's, i wouldnt try to make them fit... :p

OMEGA_BUBBLE_JET
08-26-2003, 10:03 AM
victorfb:
the headers omega showed are for small block chevy's, i wouldnt try to make them fit... :p sho nuff. That was the only picture they had of them.
Omega
[ August 26, 2003, 11:06 AM: Message edited by: OMEGA_BUBBLE_JET ]

HBjet
08-26-2003, 10:20 AM
OMEGA_BUBBLE_JET:
I imagine the same reason top fuel and alcohol cars face them up. It's all about thrust. :D :D
Omega Or maybe, just maybe they don't want there hot exhaust blowing directly into there expensive tires..... Just a thought, but what do I know!
HBjet

Blown 472
08-26-2003, 10:24 AM
I think the reason behind them was to help clear the smoke so the driver could see.

HBjet
08-26-2003, 10:28 AM
Blown 472:
I think the reason behind them was to help clear the smoke so the driver could see. I haven't seen any motor running this type of header with the motor infront of the driver... But I haven't been alive that long either.
HBjet

Blown 472
08-26-2003, 10:31 AM
Just what are you trying to say?? :D I beleive they are dirived from weed burners, to zoomies to those.

HBjet
08-26-2003, 10:33 AM
Blown 472:
Just what are you trying to say?? :D I beleive they are dirived from weed burners, to zoomies to those. Not trying to say anything, just don't understand the comment about clearing smoke so the driver could see.
HBjet

OMEGA_BUBBLE_JET
08-26-2003, 10:34 AM
HBjet:
OMEGA_BUBBLE_JET:
Omega Or maybe, just maybe they don't want there hot exhaust blowing directly into there expensive tires..... Just a thought, but what do I know!
HBjet uh....I don't think so. I don't think I've ever seen headers "blowing directly into expensive tires" you do know why top fuel and alcohol cars have to face them up don't ya?
Omega

HBjet
08-26-2003, 10:36 AM
OMEGA_BUBBLE_JET:
you do know why top fuel and alcohol cars have to face them up don't ya?Well, you said "Thrust" but I'm not buying it..... so tell me why!
HBjet

Blown 472
08-26-2003, 10:38 AM
HBjet:
Blown 472:
Just what are you trying to say?? :D I beleive they are dirived from weed burners, to zoomies to those. Not trying to say anything, just don't understand the comment about clearing smoke so the driver could see.
HBjet Back the day, the dragsters used weedburner headers that came down next to the motor and the driver behind the motor could not see cuz they were using tires that would not hook and they would smoke them the whole quarter mile, so they went to headers that aimed above the tire to move the smoke so they could see. I have never seen front engine dragster either frown

Blown 472
08-26-2003, 10:39 AM
HBjet:
OMEGA_BUBBLE_JET:
you do know why top fuel and alcohol cars have to face them up don't ya?Well, you said "Thrust" but I'm not buying it..... so tell me why!
HBjet You ever see the funny cars when they put a hole out?? the car moves opposite the side the hole is out on because of the exhaust is not even.

OMEGA_BUBBLE_JET
08-26-2003, 10:40 AM
HBjet:
OMEGA_BUBBLE_JET:
HBjet watch a top fuel funny car drop a couple of cylinders on the same side and watch what happens to the car.......when you burn 15 gallons of fuel in 5 seconds trust me there is lots of thrust coming out the exhaust. they use the pipes to produce downward thrust and help keep the car on the ground. usually the gas guys use the above headers and I don't really know if for the same reason as top fuel/alcohol.
Omega

HBjet
08-26-2003, 10:42 AM
Blown 472:
HBjet:
Blown 472:
HBjet Back the day, the dragsters used weedburner headers that came down next to the motor and the driver behind the motor could not see cuz they were using tires that would not hook and they would smoke them the whole quarter mile, so they went to headers that aimed above the tire to move the smoke so they could see. I have never seen front engine dragster either :( That makes a little more sense. I have also never seen a front engine dragster, just a dragster with the motor infront of the driver, but never with headers that sweep up like the one's Omego posted..... That is why I was wondering how would headers like those help clear the smoke when the driver is sitting behind the motor?
HBjet

victorfb
08-26-2003, 10:46 AM
damn cyclone, your thread got highjacked again... :p

HBjet
08-26-2003, 10:52 AM
victorfb:
damn cyclone, your thread got highjacked again... :p No, just my Fan Club President (Omega) and Secretary (Blown) having some fun.
HBjet

Blown 472
08-26-2003, 10:54 AM
HBjet:
victorfb:
damn cyclone, your thread got highjacked again... :p No, just my Fan Club President (Omega) and Secretary (Blown) having some fun.
HBjet I think it ran it's course, notch the holes or get new ones.
Do I get to wear a skirt??

Hotcrusader76
08-26-2003, 10:55 AM
This is an official hi-jacking! Please change the subject before Cyclone get's any useful information from it. :D

OMEGA_BUBBLE_JET
08-26-2003, 10:56 AM
Blown 472:
HBjet:
victorfb:
HBjet I think it ran it's course, notch the holes or get new ones.
Do I get to wear a skirt?? no but you better get flowers on secretaries day.
Omega (president)

HBjet
08-26-2003, 11:02 AM
OMEGA_BUBBLE_JET:
no but you better get flowers on secretaries day.Shit! When is that day again?
OK, no back to your local programming....
HBjet

HBjet
08-26-2003, 11:09 AM
OMEGA_BUBBLE_JET:
watch a top fuel funny car drop a couple of cylinders on the same side and watch what happens to the car.......when you burn 15 gallons of fuel in 5 seconds trust me there is lots of thrust coming out the exhaust. they use the pipes to produce downward thrust and help keep the car on the ground. usually the gas guys use the above headers and I don't really know if for the same reason as top fuel/alcohol.
Omega I see what you are saying, but I also thought wings where better for this, but I do see what you mean!
HBjet

roostwear
08-26-2003, 11:14 AM
OMEGA_BUBBLE_JET:
HBjet:
OMEGA_BUBBLE_JET:
HBjet watch a top fuel funny car drop a couple of cylinders on the same side and watch what happens to the car.......when you burn 15 gallons of fuel in 5 seconds trust me there is lots of thrust coming out the exhaust. they use the pipes to produce downward thrust and help keep the car on the ground. usually the gas guys use the above headers and I don't really know if for the same reason as top fuel/alcohol.
Omega Zoomies do help keep the car down on fuelers and alcohol cars. The header that is pictured is the super comp, econo, etc style. The answer is that fitting on the collector. It's for crankcase evacuation, and I was going 150, and torched a piston, I wouldn't want oil shooting directly onto the tires! The downforce from this style really is negligable... the design ia a matter of function.

BGMAN203
08-26-2003, 11:42 AM
Hey Mike,
You need to get a set of Lemons Headers, I have the # at home and I am at work....P.M. me with your phone # or I will get it from Todd.

OMEGA_BUBBLE_JET
08-26-2003, 11:59 AM
HBjet:
OMEGA_BUBBLE_JET:
watch a top fuel funny car drop a couple of cylinders on the same side and watch what happens to the car.......when you burn 15 gallons of fuel in 5 seconds trust me there is lots of thrust coming out the exhaust. they use the pipes to produce downward thrust and help keep the car on the ground. usually the gas guys use the above headers and I don't really know if for the same reason as top fuel/alcohol.
Omega I see what you are saying, but I also thought wings where better for this, but I do see what you mean!
HBjet they all work together. and by the way wings are for planes..... :rolleyes:
Omega

cyclone
08-26-2003, 12:02 PM
ever notice how every thread i start gets hijacked???? :D

Blown 472
08-26-2003, 12:05 PM
cyclone:
ever notice how every thread i start gets hijacked???? :D It must be somethin bout you that gets people talking?? :D

Taylorman
08-26-2003, 12:06 PM
HB, Omega and Blown. What do you guys do for a living that affords ya'll so much free time to have a conversation on the boards?

Blown 472
08-26-2003, 12:12 PM
Taylorman:
HB, Omega and Blown. What do you guys do for a living that affords ya'll so much free time to have a conversation on the boards? I am mechanical designer, so it gets really boring dwg parts all day so I toggle back and forth between dwgs and here if I am not installing converting equipment.
And the side money I get from GQ helps so I dont have to work as much. :rolleyes:

Taylorman
08-26-2003, 12:18 PM
Im a Mortgage Loan Originator and I toggle back and forth also. You can only look at credit reports for so long before I my vision goes black and white.

HBjet
08-26-2003, 12:24 PM
I'm work in the Telecommunication Industry. We have slow hours, and we have very busy hours....
HBjet
[ August 26, 2003, 01:24 PM: Message edited by: HBjet ]

BrendellaJet
08-26-2003, 12:25 PM
get some lemmons headers. They are the shit, and dont cost much more than bassets do with the coating. I think they are 900 for a BBC. They are online...I forget the website, lemmonsheaders.com or something like that...

cyclone
08-26-2003, 12:30 PM
900 for headers? they better be gold plated for that price. man that's high. What makes them so great? some new design that actually makes hp?

Hotcrusader76
08-26-2003, 12:45 PM
They must be made with Inconnel tubing like the Indy cars have.

OMEGA_BUBBLE_JET
08-26-2003, 12:47 PM
Taylorman:
HB, Omega and Blown. What do you guys do for a living that affords ya'll so much free time to have a conversation on the boards? you know what I do.....just to remind you. I am a CAD designer for Bechtel Engineering. Drawing all day gets boring sometimes and with 2 21" monitors it's hard to resist the urge. I think I'm going blind from staring at the screen too much. We do get busy sometimes. But I always try to find time to for my buddies HB and Cyclone. :D
Omega

Taylorman
08-26-2003, 01:05 PM
[b] Originally posted by OMEGA_BUBBLE_JET
But I always try to find time to for my buddies HB and Cyclone. I can tell you like them alot, you see one of there pictures every time you post a message. Is that why you post so much. That is HB right?

cyclone
08-26-2003, 01:06 PM
glad to see you haven't given up your quest to meet your heroes.

Bense468
08-26-2003, 01:26 PM
Mike good headers can get up there. Lemons, Davis etc. They can easily get over a grand. Yes they do creater better power then bassetts or rewarders. They may not look as good and they are expensive. But I agree lemons are the shit. Here is a pic. This is rossi's boat. http:\\www.lemonsheaders.com/rossi1.jpg
[ August 26, 2003, 02:27 PM: Message edited by: Bense468 ]

OMEGA_BUBBLE_JET
08-26-2003, 01:28 PM
Taylorman:
[b] Originally posted by OMEGA_BUBBLE_JET
But I always try to find time to for my buddies HB and Cyclone. I can tell you like them alot, you see one of there pictures every time you post a message. Is that why you post so much. That is HB right? my girlfriend is getting worried about me. I have pictures of them all over the house. I am now going to counseling twice a week. nothing seems to help. I'm thinking about painting my boat blue. I'm sick.....sick I tell you.
Omega (wishing he could be HB or Cyclone)

HBjet
08-26-2003, 01:32 PM
Bense468:
Mike good headers can get up there. Lemons, Davis etc. They can easily get over a grand. Yes they do creater better power then bassetts or rewarders. They may not look as good and they are expensive. But I agree lemons are the shit. Here is a pic. This is rossi's boat.I think for the cost vs. performance gain on Cyclone's river boat, it's not worth the extra money. If your going to spend a grand, there are other things I'm sure you would rather do first then buy a set of headers that will give you only a small amount of gain over your current ones (that is when they are lined up properly!)
HBjet

cyclone
08-26-2003, 01:33 PM
dude i can't believe you haven't been dumped by now because of your obsession for hb and I. your better half must be one hell of a man. whoops i mean woman. :D

cyclone
08-26-2003, 01:36 PM
getting back to my original post and photos. I can't believe that none of the engine building gurus on this board who looked at the pics didn't notice that the burn pattern on the header flange is the result of the gasket being installed upside down. Hmmm....

Hotcrusader76
08-26-2003, 01:36 PM
sneakeee...sneakeee :D

OMEGA_BUBBLE_JET
08-26-2003, 01:42 PM
cyclone:
dude i can't believe you haven't been dumped by now because of your obsession for hb and I. your better half must be one hell of a man. whoops i mean woman. :D she's in it for the long haul. I must be doing something right for her to put up with all my chit.
Omega

littleC
08-26-2003, 01:42 PM
Mike those upsweep headers are used on alot of PlaceCraft boats. Rewarder made them for a while but I heard they dicontinued them.
If youcan find them they are bad ass.
I also have a set of Zoomies you can try if you would like. Let me know and i will bring them to you Labor day weekend.
Chris

cyclone
08-26-2003, 01:46 PM
Chris- thanks but at this point i'll settle for just getting my boat there in one piece. where are you guys staying at?

HBjet
08-26-2003, 01:47 PM
cyclone:
getting back to my original post and photos. I can't believe that none of the engine building gurus on this board who looked at the pics didn't notice that the burn pattern on the header flange is the result of the gasket being installed upside down. Hmmm.... Looks like Omega and Blown failed there Fan Club Appreciation Test.
HBjet frown

cyclone
08-26-2003, 01:50 PM
yup. they are fired!! eek!

Cs19
08-26-2003, 01:51 PM
cyclone, is your boat all apart right now? and do you plan on having it out for the weekend?

565edge
08-26-2003, 01:53 PM
littleC:
Mike those upsweep headers are used on alot of PlaceCraft boats. Rewarder made them for a while but I heard they dicontinued them.
If youcan find them they are bad ass.
I also have a set of Zoomies you can try if you would like. Let me know and i will bring them to you Labor day weekend.
Chris I had rewarder make me a set of them last year,I like they way they look?

cyclone
08-26-2003, 01:58 PM
cs19- yup its in pieces but i'll be running this weekend for sure.

Cs19
08-26-2003, 02:23 PM
cool. :D

cyclone
08-26-2003, 02:25 PM
how is your boat coming along?

Bense468
08-26-2003, 02:37 PM
Randy thanks for pointing that out to me. My comment was directed towards Mike. I was not really telling mike to buy them. I was saying that there are headers out there better and also more expensive. Mike didn't know that, or it didn't seem he did. Just trying to help out a little. I do agree with just buying a set of bassetts and putting money elsewhere. If you care about your ET then you might want to drop 1500 on headers.
Little C- Chris 565edge is right. I talked to Jim McComb about the upsweeps. They still do and will make them for you. It was not a one off deal. All you have to do is call them and ask for them. There are other companys making upsweep style headers also like Davis. Very pricey. That is what krutzer is running on his boat. The ones omega posted are upsweeps but are not rewarders or Davis so there are a few people making them.

Cs19
08-26-2003, 02:38 PM
Its getting there, The rigging of the hull is 95% done and the motor is in the beginning stages at DNE now, so i figure we will test out in blythe during the winter(hopefully sooner) so im dialed for next summer. :D this last part of the project has been frustratring, but i think my patience will pay off in the long run. wink .

cyclone
08-26-2003, 02:44 PM
patience good-broken motor no good. good grasshoppa, good.

565edge
08-26-2003, 02:56 PM
Bense,when i called rewarder i wanted them to make me a step header in the upswept header but he couldnt do it,I like these style headers,we put them on my freinds blown 21 daytona and they looked sweet,rewarder made me 6" long baffles for them too,On a blower motor they look bitchen because you see more of the blower from the side?I want to try a set of his step headers though to see if there is a peformance gain.

HBjet
08-26-2003, 03:03 PM
Bense468:
Randy thanks for pointing that out to me. My comment was directed towards Mike. I was not really telling mike to buy them. I was saying that there are headers out there better and also more expensive. Mike didn't know that, or it didn't seem he did. Just trying to help out a little.Sorry Jeff, I just quoted you, but I wasn't really directing my comment to anyone, just putting it out there.
HBjet

DansBlown73Nordic
08-26-2003, 03:49 PM
I have a set of Stellings Stainless Steel water jacketed headers that cost around $3000 new....So the $1000 ones are really a good deal.... wink

Bense468
08-26-2003, 03:51 PM
Yeah I don't know about the step header. I do know he makes the upsweeps though. I am not too sure what a step header is?
Randy, No prob BOB. I might see you guys out there this weekend. I am craming into Little C's boat. Which is chris. The blue elimintator (Liberty) We will see how well it seats 5. Our plans are to go up to big river sat and run all day up there with you guys, then watch the races at LL, Party at the Dock. Stay the night and go down to blythe for sunday and Monday.
[ August 26, 2003, 04:54 PM: Message edited by: Bense468 ]

victorfb
08-26-2003, 04:01 PM
damn mike. thats some funny sh*t. but im glad thats all the problem was. in the pic, the bolt holes still look like they are offset from the ports, but it just might be that way on the heads. not sure. will new and PROPERLY installed gaskets cure the prob? i sure hope so. glad to hear you will be able to make to the river this weekend. ill be staying up in laughlin, but launching in park moabi were danhurcules is staying with a big group of our friends. well, i just call em my friends so i look cool. :D actually, its a great group. too bad you wont be up river that far. then again, i dont blame ya. i think down there will be much nicer. oh well, atleast ill be boatin. :D

victorfb
08-26-2003, 04:08 PM
a "C"note for non jacketed headers? 3 for water jacketed? damn. this tig welder and tubing bender is really gunna come in handy. :D just finished making a stainless scoop and im gettin pretty good at this tig stuff. a little more practice and im makin headers for a living. sheeeeesh...

HBjet
08-26-2003, 05:55 PM
victorfb:
a "C"note for non jacketed headers?I wish...... (C Note = 100 bucks)
HBjet

victorfb
08-26-2003, 07:01 PM
ok ok. how about a "G" note. i know thats not even really correct, well sorta, but i was too damn lazy to to type $1000, or one thousand. how about a grand? anyway you want to look at it, thats alot of cash for some headers. looks like ive got another damn project to start. #8,497,211 or is that #8,497,212? does it matter?

BrendellaJet
08-26-2003, 07:14 PM
For those of us without connections :rolleyes: $900 for a set of lemons is not bad, and they look badass. You figure brend new from Basset is 590(for twisties) and another $300 to send them to Jet hot for inside and outside coating...do the math. Unless there is someone coating them for half the price and giving the same warranty, this is not a bad deal. I think Rewarder charges $150 for their in house coating, so that makes them cost about $750, whats $150 bucks considering the money you have into that thing? Especially considering how much visual appeal they will give you being that you never see the lemons on other boats.(just aksing, not trying to be a ball buster)
[ August 26, 2003, 08:15 PM: Message edited by: BrendellaJet ]

Give Me Some Slack
08-26-2003, 07:34 PM
So cyclone, Are you going to bring your boat to the river?

Danhercules
08-26-2003, 09:16 PM
victorfb:
ok ok. how about a "G" note. i know thats not even really correct, well sorta, but i was too damn lazy to to type $1000, or one thousand. how about a grand? anyway you want to look at it, thats alot of cash for some headers. looks like ive got another damn project to start. #8,497,211 or is that #8,497,212? does it matter? Hey vic, how bout 1K?? How easy can it be?

Keith
08-26-2003, 09:49 PM
Cyclone, back to the subject, it appears that the weld tapers off to nothing to the left of the pic. Buy a 5" grinder from Wallymart ($30), flatten the weld, and take to a welding shop or a muffler shop
to wire weld another o-ring. Use wet rags to keep the finish on the tubes as it is welded. Then use the grinder and a straight edge to level the new o-rings and clean the inside with a die grinder or Dremel tool. I have built several set of hedders and repaired hundreds the same way. The hedder makers weld the tubes from the motor side of the flange to keep the weld out of the way of the bolts. I would not recomend splitting the flange because this may loose support and cause flexing that would cause your bolts to loosen.

wrightnow
08-26-2003, 10:54 PM
Bense468:
Yeah I don't know about the step header. I do know he makes the upsweeps though. I am not too sure what a step header is?
Randy, No prob BOB. I might see you guys out there this weekend. I am craming into Little C's boat. Which is chris. The blue elimintator (Liberty) We will see how well it seats 5. Our plans are to go up to big river sat and run all day up there with you guys, then watch the races at LL, Party at the Dock. Stay the night and go down to blythe for sunday and Monday. You left out going to the catfish sat nite, I know danny is planning on going...

Bense468
08-27-2003, 02:57 PM
It seems I did. Well you get the point.

cyclone
08-27-2003, 03:12 PM
give me some slack- yeah my boat will be together and running this weekend. Dont know how pretty she'll look, but the red rocket will be running right.

Give Me Some Slack
08-27-2003, 04:26 PM
Cool, I know your boat will still kick ass out there even if it doesn't look that pretty.

LVjetboy
08-28-2003, 10:19 PM
Stepped headers? Another (expensive) urban myth? Put the step at the exhaust wave high pressure point and somehow improve exhaust flow? Sounds good in theory, but how critical step location to each individual engine flow characteristics and full throttle rpm? Not to mention what happens to power at the impeller matching point...where jetters want maximum engine power not a fat low rpm torque curve like car guys.
We're not driving blacktop circle racers here.
Not saying a perfect step match can't increase power to your impeller at full throttle. Just saying unlikely you'll find that perfect match for your exact engine and pump combo (carbs, cam, intake, impeller, etc) without many dyno runs, lake testing and step location trial and error. While the blacktop guys worry about a fat low rpm torque curve, all we care about is full throttle, high rpm power to the impeller.
Even assuming your engine combo mirrors their best step header design, something offered in their procuct line up. Our application is after all, a bit different wouldn't you say?
jer

565edge
08-28-2003, 10:21 PM
So lv did you do any lake tests yet?

Jimmy Jam Jam Jim
08-28-2003, 10:27 PM
what the hell is this guy talking about. Son you must be one of those rich kiddies that done got himself one of those degrees.
I took a pair of hookers and put dem son of a bitches on because I like the name. They fit tighter then a red head, but you don't need all that fancy step bullshit.

Havasu Doug
08-29-2003, 01:22 AM
http://www.havasudoug.com/parker2003/DSC00594.jpg
Cyclone, speaking of headers, I got mine back. This is how they looked after using them for 7 straight days in Parker. I even ran them dry at full throttle after a water hose separated from a gate valve. eek!

cyclone
08-29-2003, 07:55 AM
doug- mine looked like that for about two trips to the river without water running through them. After that the heat started to dull the coating. Still no rust though so i'm happy. Glad to hear your happy with the job they did.

Bense468
08-29-2003, 08:10 AM
why do you run them with no water? I know jet hot coating is great stuff, but if you are all concerned about how they look why would you not put water to them that you can shut down at WOT. You know they will not look good forever with no water.

cyclone
08-29-2003, 08:18 AM
i'm not concerned with how my headers look. my boat runs better without water running through the exhaust. And up until yesterday, i didn't have any check valves in the engine pan-evac system so i couldnt run water through the headers without it being sucked back into the valve covers. At some point i'll probably run water through the headers to keep the people in the back seat of the boat a bit safer, but I rarely have anyone back there so its not a priority right now.

Taylorman
08-29-2003, 10:54 AM
Cyclone, i don't run check valves on my evac system either and have never had a problem with water being sucked into valve covers. Of course i have an 455 not quiet the engine you have. That ceramic looks awesome, i will be doing mine soon. Can't wait.

Cs19
08-29-2003, 02:01 PM
just watch wear the pipes get close to the hull, it can burn very easily

HBjet
08-29-2003, 03:20 PM
cs19:
just watch wear the pipes get close to the hull, it can burn very easily Not to mention the gas tanks! Cyclones are mighty warm after a few runs! Nothing like pre-heating the full for some racing....haha!
HBjet
[ August 29, 2003, 04:20 PM: Message edited by: HBjet ]

cyclone
09-02-2003, 01:24 PM
yeah randy but you dont want me to go fixin that problem now do you?