PDA

View Full Version : ? converting from carb to efi

Scapegoat1
11-12-2007, 11:01 PM
how hard would it be to get the merc 525 efi kit to work on my 540.790 horse motor and what would need to be done.Kit comes complete for merc 525. I have a merlin block with alum heads. would the 525 efi kit be able to fuel it. and what would be the benafit.
thanks

Moneypitt
11-13-2007, 12:46 AM
how hard would it be to get the merc 525 efi kit to work on my 540.790 horse motor and what would need to be done.Kit comes complete for merc 525. I have a merlin block with alum heads. would the 525 efi kit be able to fuel it. and what would be the benafit.
thanks
If you're getting 790 HP with a carb, why would you want an EFI? EFI benefit is fuel economy based on computer controlled fuel flow. Between the 02 sensor and the MAF, or MAT sensor the computer tells the fuel system what to deliver for maximum efficiency......Knowing how picky those things are in a car or truck, I don't think I'd want one on a boat..........Factory installed, eh, maybe, but there is a bunch of things that have to be dead on to make it work right. A marine enviroment, moisture, and vibration would play hell with the systems I'm familure with.......And Salt water, forget it....The EFI systems in vehicles can dial in the fuel curve to make the overdrive efficient. Overdrives are not recomended swaps with a carb'd engine. The carb doesn't adjust as you drive like the EFIs can........790HP!!, it aint broken, so don't fix it........MP