PDA

View Full Version : CHP new cars???

socaldieselkrew
11-12-2007, 11:22 PM
Sneaky lil fockers they are!!!!!!!! Have any of you seen the new CHP Chargers?? i guess they are mostly going to be plain unmarked Chargers with black steel wheels according to the officer who pulled me over earlier tonite in one. I wonder if they are running the 5.7 hemi or the 6.1 SRT????
82mph in a 65 zone should be about 400 bucks, that could have been alot of beer and cigarettes.

BajaMike
11-12-2007, 11:26 PM
Sneaky lil fockers they are!!!!!!!! Have any of you seen the new CHP Chargers?? i guess they are mostly going to be plain unmarked Chargers with black steel wheels according to the officer who pulled me over earlier tonite in one. I wonder if they are running the 5.7 hemi or the 6.1 SRT????
82mph in a 65 zone should be about 400 bucks, that could have been alot of beer and cigarettes.
Ouch....I haven't seen any of those....:idea:

socaldieselkrew
11-12-2007, 11:33 PM
Yeah according to the officer, CHP just implemented 400 of them into service so look out.

MudPumper
11-13-2007, 12:22 AM
Lots of agencies running chargers. They flat out haul ass and out handle the Crown Vics like night and day. In CA you cannot run a plain/unmarked unit for the sole purpose of Traffic Enforcement. Being that CHP's main purpose is Traffic i doubt you will see them running unmarked.

RitcheyRch
11-13-2007, 05:36 AM
I havent seen any of them either. Wonder if they are only in certain parts of the state for now.
Ouch....I haven't seen any of those....:idea:

centerhill condor
11-13-2007, 05:54 AM
wait 'til you get pulled over by the station wagon....
CC

BoatPI
11-13-2007, 06:11 AM
The CHP is running 5.7 Hemi's as that is the only V-8 with the police package. This is not the perfect police car, it has it's issues. Actually it is much better suited for CHP work as oppose to local police street use. Just for atarters the front end is not as forgiving as the tank front end of the crown vic.
The Magnum is not a good PD car as it does not enough crush space to protect the radios and gear in the rear of the car.

BOBALOO
11-13-2007, 07:19 AM
My 85+ in a 65 was about 289$ a month ago from CHP. I deserved it, and paid it.:D

Advantage Adam
11-13-2007, 08:30 AM
[QUOTE= that could have been alot of beer and cigarettes.[/QUOTE]
Sounds like he did you a favor :D

pw_Tony
11-13-2007, 09:22 AM
The CHP is running 5.7 Hemi's as that is the only V-8 with the police package. This is not the perfect police car, it has it's issues. Actually it is much better suited for CHP work as oppose to local police street use. Just for atarters the front end is not as forgiving as the tank front end of the crown vic.
The Magnum is not a good PD car as it does not enough crush space to protect the radios and gear in the rear of the car.
Really? I thought the Larger magnum took the turns much better than the Crown Vic in tight situations. But then again I haven't ridden in an police edition Chargers, and not too many Police Crown Vics sober :devil:

Not So Fast
11-13-2007, 09:35 AM
My 85+ in a 65 was about 289$ a month ago from CHP. I deserved it, and paid it.:D
Finally, a guy that just fesses up and takes his lumps, way to go Bobaloo;) And BTW the CHP has had all white cars (Camaros) for sometime, but if youre sharp you can usually spot them coming up because they sit a little lower with a wider stance. :idea: NSF

BoatPI
11-13-2007, 09:56 AM
Yes really, the Magnum has it's issues. About two years ago when the first testing was done in CA by Chrysler, and with the PD's, it was a complete flop. The engine cut out due to high G force and the MBZ computers, the front doors bent like pretzels forward, etc. The car was not even ready.
Now it is much improved. LAPD currently has about 4 and they are set up as field testing units with the latest computer based communications eqpt. Time will tell.
Remember the Dodge is a unibody car and the Vic is full frame and has the benifit of working with PD's for 20 years of refinement. The Vic takes a beating, which is a better baseline than straight line acceleration. Give big city cops too much power (HEMI) and they will stack the car up everytime. CHP are road dogs, a very diferent environment. I think PD's realize the clock is ticking on the demise of the Crown Vic, so that is what prompted Dodge to throw some money at this project. Making PD cars is NOT a for profit business, but it generates some free testing of HD products for the company. Most PD cars are made for about two weeks a year, near end of model year buildout ,usually in May or June.

Beer-30
11-13-2007, 09:59 AM
NSF if absolutely correct.
SMPVs (Specially Marked Patrol Vehicles) have been around for decades. They have the decals on the doors, but not the trunk. They are usually all one color, currently white. Other colors have been tried in the past and may again one day. Typically, no light bars on these (slick-top) or if so, they are clear LED bars.

LOWRIVER2
11-13-2007, 10:40 AM
LAPD has the hemi chargers and Impala prototypes for testing and for the officers to check out. The crown vic is over, Ford is coming out with a police package-new vehicle for 2010 that should be competitive. The Impalas have 100 less horsepower, front wheel drive and are much smaller. Probably cheaper so our guys will end up sandwiched in them.
About 20 captains currently drive unmarked V6 chargers for take home rides.

Not So Fast
11-13-2007, 10:49 AM
NSF if absolutely correct.
SMPVs (Specially Marked Patrol Vehicles) have been around for decades. They have the decals on the doors, but not the trunk. They are usually all one color, currently white. Other colors have been tried in the past and may again one day. Typically, no light bars on these (slick-top) or if so, they are clear LED bars.
From someone who is in the know:D And its really hard when they dont have light bars, be very afraid:( NSF

svlperry
11-13-2007, 11:08 AM
watch out in the high desert. they have a black nissan titan up here

Big Kahunaa
11-13-2007, 11:14 AM
saw a dude pulled over by a gto in sedona lights in the visors in in the grill no markins and it was all metalic blue

H20Advantage
11-13-2007, 11:22 AM
The new Dodge Chargers rock in the city enviroment. They have lots of room in front for the working man. The rear seat is a little tight for a larger crook but hey don't do the crime if you can't do the time.
They handle great, have lots of power and look pretty sharp too. I have seen to many times the old Fords getting left in the dust when trying to catch up to some of the competition on the streets. Pretty sad to see a police cruiser having to pull out of a chase because the suspect's car has more guts than the police unit following it.
Chevy had a great police package just before they pulled the caprice off the police market.

ZBODaytona
11-13-2007, 11:42 AM
Here in Central FL one of the local PD offices has a red one with black racing stripes. Lights are hidden completly...wouldn't know it was PD car except there aren't any other ones in this town accept the PD one. That and the local paper did an article on it, after they had it for a month or so. But here in our counties gotta lock out for all types of unmarked ones...dodge ram's chevy trucks, normal impalas..

RIPPINGNOLEGSKROKER
11-13-2007, 12:02 PM
I could swear I read in Autoweek that CHP was also testing Volvos, last year, anyone confirm or deny???

HMF'er
11-13-2007, 12:31 PM
I could swear I read in Autoweek that CHP was also testing Volvos, last year, anyone confirm or deny???
I known they tested those several years ago but they didn't work out.

LOWRIVER2
11-13-2007, 12:38 PM
Crown vics have never been fast, most times when you see a patrol car pull out of a pursuit it is to:
1. Deploy a spike strip
2. Go to tracking mode with an airship
3. Hand off to another agency which is right behind the primary unit.
In So. Cal, at least, 95% of the time, you can't out run a radio, and for L.A. County, you can't outrun the 30-40 airships.
You have to go back to the 90's for the LT-1 Caprice's for worknig cars that ran over 130mph easily and had good performance off the line.

Cole Trickle
11-13-2007, 12:58 PM
Tustin has had a couple chargers for the better part of a year.
One of the auto rags did a performance evaluation with all the cop cars in circulation. Charger was decent but still slow due to the added weight. Pretty sure it ran the 1/4 in the mid/high 14's at around 95 mph.
They were showing how most of the suped up kids cars could whoop it in a straight line and around a track.
http://www.caranddriver.com/shortroadtests/12882/2006-dodge-charger-police-package.html

Heatseeker
11-13-2007, 01:13 PM
I saw a whole fleet of black and white Chargers being prepped at(of all places) Amador Motors in Jackson, Ca. Earlier this year. The tech had told me they were all headed for CHP duty. I haven't seen one on the road yet though.
I thought it was kind of cool that the Pentstar(Chrysler, I guess they don't call it that anymore though) was getting back in the cop business.

Brewzed
11-13-2007, 01:48 PM
The City of Corona has one of those things running around.

Her454
11-13-2007, 01:49 PM
Sneaky lil fockers they are!!!!!!!! Have any of you seen the new CHP Chargers?? i guess they are mostly going to be plain unmarked Chargers with black steel wheels according to the officer who pulled me over earlier tonite in one. I wonder if they are running the 5.7 hemi or the 6.1 SRT????.
Oh Shiat. :eek: :eek:
I saw a whole fleet of black and white Chargers being prepped at(of all places) Amador Motors in Jackson, Ca. Earlier this year.
DOUBLE oh Shiat.
Consider yourself lucky if thats all it is.

Heatseeker
11-13-2007, 02:03 PM
... :eek: :eek:
DOUBLE oh Shiat.
I told them to keep an eye for that "her454" chick too :D :D :D !

Her454
11-13-2007, 02:21 PM
I told them to keep an eye for that "her454" chick too :D :D :D !
Remind me to thank you with a swift kick in the ass next time I see you.:D
That's where my nasty ticket from hell was. They don't need any encouraging. :eek:
Actually, almost all of my tickets are from that county.:mad:

Heatseeker
11-13-2007, 02:22 PM
Remind me to thank you with a swift kick in the ass next time I see you.:D
That's where my nasty ticket from hell was. They don't need any encouraging. :eek:
Actually, almost all of my tickets are from that county.:mad:
That would explain the mischievous smile when I mentioned your name :sqeyes: ...

MudPumper
11-13-2007, 04:05 PM
They have lots of room in front for the working man. .
The biggest complaint I have about it is the lack of space in the front. It's tight as shit up there with a computer and all the gear. God for bid you roll as a two man and your cramped in like a sardeen.

NuckinFutz
11-13-2007, 05:17 PM
The UHP has gone to Chargers from the Crown Vics. From my co-workers who drive them they all seem to like them. I've drove one and didn't get a solid opinion either way on whether it was "a better" car or not. Doesn't matter for me since my patrol vehicle is a Ford F150.

H20Advantage
11-13-2007, 07:40 PM
The biggest complaint I have about it is the lack of space in the front. It's tight as shit up there with a computer and all the gear. God for bid you roll as a two man and your cramped in like a sardeen.
Maybe its the way yours are configured. Ours are set up to leave alot of room for a 2 man car. I don't like all the Mavs equiptment blocking your view through the windshield though.
Most of our fleet is now made up of the Dodges. Probably within the year all the Fords will be gone. We also have 6 Tahoes.

MudPumper
11-13-2007, 09:07 PM
Maybe its the way yours are configured. Ours are set up to leave alot of room for a 2 man car. I don't like all the Mavs equiptment blocking your view through the windshield though.
Most of our fleet is now made up of the Dodges. Probably within the year all the Fords will be gone. We also have 6 Tahoes.
Maybe, I've only experienced how ours our set up. Hopefully there is a better way. It is a bad ass car though.
When the LASD was certifying them at Pomona I talked to the EVOC Sgt. and he said it was hands down the best performing vehicle he had ever tested for LE use.