PDA

View Full Version : cant keep 70 aquacraft in water

kostelacd69
11-13-2007, 11:29 AM
ive got a 70 aqua craft and im cant keep it from porpusing from 2800 rpms and up as it starts to hop i have to add more down my plates are 10 inch with an inch of down strut is 18 inch from trans 11.5 15 prop 8 degree angle just wondering if anyone had this problem and has fixed it thanks

Moneypitt
11-13-2007, 06:06 PM
Can you drive through the hop? What happens at 3500?...........If you just stand on it does it get beyond the hop?..........How much HP?........MP

Ex PSI Canyon
11-14-2007, 03:14 AM
I saw this boat @ the Bartlett lake gathering, porpoising like crazy, driver was trying to drive through it, actually gave me a little scare with the way that Aqua Craft was reacting, absolutely gorgeous boat has healthy sounding Ford, done a really nice job restoring it but the boat is out of whack. I met you there but forgot your name. Is'nt Bill helping you get that sorted out Bill called me about some props, I have a few left hand pitch if you would like to try em. Matt

biesemeyer34
11-14-2007, 04:45 AM
There is a guy in spokane washington that has a aquacraft that has controlled the beast. You might try to PM him , goes by the handle of Circle Jerk. When he sees your post he will be all over it. Jimmy D

FlatRat
11-14-2007, 06:06 AM
There is a guy in spokane washington that has a aquacraft that has controlled the beast. You might try to PM him , goes by the handle of Circle Jerk. When he sees your post he will be all over it. Jimmy D
There is???
How you bean Jimmy D?....
and ,yes C/J has done a nice job on his Shark:D :D

kostelacd69
11-14-2007, 06:29 AM
at 3500 the gets worse i tried to drive throught it but just doesnt happen if i punch it, it just starts hoping right away, im david buy the way but you were close ha and yeah bill and i beating our heads aginst the walls trying to figure this thing out does anyone have a similar boat they can send me there messurements of there set up thanks

Rattle Can Lou
11-14-2007, 07:21 AM
My Dad has the 18 footer. Docile as hell at 70-75 mph. He has a warmed over big block. It does have a 9 degree shaft angle and a nice Kindsvater three blade prop. I can get measurements if your really lost. But you might find a strut location change and several other things that cost money and lots of time. I think shaft angle is very important as to what you are experiencing. Also engine location. Let me know if I can help.

kostelacd69
11-14-2007, 07:29 AM
yeah ive been hearing that alot about the angle is 8 to much because thats where mines at im just trying to get other boats messurement just to see how others are set up just trying to get all the info i can

Rattle Can Lou
11-14-2007, 07:34 AM
If your shaft angle is 8 that is better than 9. The shallower the angle the more push forward instaed of up. I was hoping it wasn't a ski type setup at say 10 to 12. There are people that are a lot smarter than me on here. How far is the rear motor plate from the transom. Inside measurement. Have you set the plate with the handle in the middle adjustment and then level with the bottom? Very important step. How much motor?? HP

kostelacd69
11-14-2007, 07:40 AM
ive done every plate adj. that you can do and the plate to trans is 28.5 inch and the motor makes 550hp

beaverfab
11-14-2007, 07:54 AM
Give me a call I just went through this with my boat not the sane as yours but may be I can help. 972-438-2277 thanks j.j.

LeE ss13
11-14-2007, 12:33 PM
Cut two inches off the plate or buy a propshaft 2" longer than the one you have now. The boat will lay down.

kostelacd69
11-14-2007, 12:41 PM
if i add nickles it gets really bad at one point i had 6 nickles in it to see what it would do and it litteraly came flyong out of the water as soon as i hit it and i tried to roll in to it and hopped twice as bad so then i added 5 inches of plate didnt realy change much but made it turn amazing after i did that a cut the shaft and the strut half of an inch once again didnt chage much so now im at a loss

squirt'nmyload
11-14-2007, 02:14 PM
i saw this boat out at bartlett also....its a beauty.....i was in the shit brown/tan jet :D.......it looked scary as hell, you made me gasp a couple of times. hopefully you can figure it out :)...oh and thank bill again for the part he gave me.......brian

kostelacd69
11-14-2007, 03:08 PM
haha yeah it is pretty scary and i will tell bill

vdriver4ever
11-14-2007, 03:17 PM
I am RCL's brother (don't tell anyone) and our Dad's motor is 31 inches off the back so that is one reason our dad's boat has a nicer ride then yours.

VDRIVERACING
11-14-2007, 09:09 PM
If you have gone through the plate, etc. What gears and prop are you using? You may have too little HP for the combo, which could also push it up and down.
If this boat has rocker, it may be in the wrong spot for the HP you're running, not able to keep it up on the back of the hull. Rocker placement, I don't believe, is a right or wrong thing so much as a placement fit with your engine/power combo. That's all the second hand guesswork I can give.
Joey Cucci in Havasu has quite a bit of knowledge in this area. He would be a good guy to chat with for ideas...

bigheavyd2
11-15-2007, 07:46 AM
Move the motor to 33 inch from the trans need to move your weight forward, if you move it 1 or 2 inch it will not help that much

SnoC653
11-15-2007, 08:23 AM
I'd make the bottom straight before you moved the motor around. Why make swiss cheese of your stingers only to find out the problem is still there. Fix the hull first then figure out where you want your engine. Every ripple in the bottom of the boat will make it do something wierd and unpredictable. And if the last owner couldn't get it right either, that should tell you it's not just a matter of moving things around.

kostelacd69
11-15-2007, 09:40 AM
ok im going to do the bottom i had already planed on doing that but i do think that the guy who built it did it right becuase when it was made it was pretty close to bring right, right? so if he put the motor in 6 inches to far back it would have never worked and as the bottom got worse with age the problem got worse

Rattle Can Lou
11-15-2007, 10:47 AM
The motor was put in there to give more room in the boat, period. If you do move the motor around put it on rails and then your not destroying your stringers. It's not that hard. The Wickens I have sat in the garage for roughly 32 years without any time off the trailer. Your boat and this boat were built by the same company. I would get the boat up off the trailer somehow and get a nice look down the thing or with a straight edge to see if there is anything obvious. I really doubt there is. I think your gonna find it in strut placement, prop, length of plate in relation to some other measurements. I would make that phone call to JJ Beaver, very smart feller.

kostelacd69
11-15-2007, 01:03 PM
so how would i get ahold of him

Sangster
11-15-2007, 01:49 PM
"JJ Beaver to a White Courtesy Phone Please"....Sometimes it works...:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Rattle Can Lou
11-15-2007, 01:57 PM
Post #11 his number and response is there....

BIGCHRIS
11-15-2007, 03:30 PM
Hey, if you dont get it figured out o'll RCL can put his big A$$$$ in it and it wont hop anymore :jawdrop:

Rattle Can Lou
11-15-2007, 03:42 PM
Hey Slim, have you looked up into your mirrors above the bed lately?

BIGCHRIS
11-15-2007, 03:45 PM
Hey Slim, have you looked up into your mirrors about the bed lately?
Yea right ,I am still slimmer than you and Billy B:)

SnoC653
11-15-2007, 04:27 PM
I would get the boat up off the trailer somehow and get a nice look down the thing or with a straight edge to see if there is anything obvious. I really doubt there is.
On the other site this is what he said about the bottom of the boat. " i did have a strait edge on it and its a little wavey but the problem starts at like 35 mph thats 2800 rpms"
If he knows it is a little wavey fix that first. Not being one of the flatbottom gurus, I'm guessing one person's a little wavey is a profesional builder's OMG that needs fixed. So my suggestion was to fix what he already knows is wrong. I'm afraid to see what the bottom of my old stevens looks like. But, you have to start with the first things first.

Rattle Can Lou
11-15-2007, 07:41 PM
Ya might be considered a small pain in the arse. Ya got two threads goin on two different websites...youv'e had the best of the best respond... Everybody has told ya the same thing. BOTTOM, bottom and more bottom checking. Hell, ya didn't even know that JJ had responded with his help....I gotta ask, "what were ya thinkin?"

kostelacd69
11-16-2007, 09:36 AM
yeah thanks buddy i had called him as soon as he responded and talked with him i just didnt know who you were refering too

CircleJerk
11-17-2007, 01:00 AM
I really question your plate setting and prop shaft angle. To have bad happen so fast reminds me of my first ride and the cure was plate setting, it was too far down from the get go! Pedaling it only made it worse! I will PM you with some tips that worked for me. Trailer bunk bulges are a very real problem, one expert told me a WOOD boat holds it shape better! OUch.....Ever hear of Fred Wickens?
and furthermore, my boat donna Porpius Jimmie, it SHARKS!

squirt'nmyload
12-01-2007, 03:11 PM
did ya give up on it??? :D
http://phoenix.craigslist.org/boa/494832801.html

kostelacd69
12-03-2007, 09:43 AM
lol no not yet im in the midle of buying a house so i might be selling my bikes and my boat to get a house unless i win the lottery ive been meaning to get it out and try what circle jerk told me i just havent had the time

squirt'nmyload
12-03-2007, 06:06 PM
lol no not yet im in the midle of buying a house so i might be selling my bikes and my boat to get a house unless i win the lottery ive been meaning to get it out and try what circle jerk told me i just havent had the time
not the boat!!! well hopefully noone will buy it (i mean that in a good way) :D :)

Rexone
12-03-2007, 06:26 PM
There are people that are a lot smarter than me on here.
I can't believe no one's picked this up for a sig line yet.

Rattle Can Lou
12-03-2007, 08:27 PM
Don't you have anything better to do???? Like sell some fricken parts???

kostelacd69
12-04-2007, 09:58 AM
yeah i wish i did but i odnt have anything ive gone to selling my extra air compressor and my engine crane and ive got some extra fe parts but nobody wants my shit it sucks ive put so much work into this thing and im really happy with it you should of seen it when i got it but im kinda out of opptions ya know

kostelacd69
12-04-2007, 10:04 AM

Rattle Can Lou
12-04-2007, 10:35 AM
I was refering to the pesky moderator who seems to like to take pot shots at me while I'm out of comtact....that would be the infamous Rex1.

Rexone
12-04-2007, 02:42 PM
while I'm out of comtact....that would be the infamous Rex1.
Rattle Can you are always out of comtact lol... how's the new Santa gig coming along? People are becoming a little anxious.

flatrookie
12-04-2007, 11:32 PM
I really question your plate setting and prop shaft angle. To have bad happen so fast reminds me of my first ride and the cure was plate setting, it was too far down from the get go! Pedaling it only made it worse! I will PM you with some tips that worked for me. Trailer bunk bulges are a very real problem, one expert told me a WOOD boat holds it shape better! OUch.....Ever hear of Fred Wickens?
and furthermore, my boat donna Porpius Jimmie, it SHARKS!
I have a problem with getting the boat to set as well. right now the motor is out and I was wondering about maybe a rough idea on how much it would cost to have your bottom blue printed ? and I also noticed that my bunk caps do not even support the boat in the middle ? if I take it off the trailer to get it blue printed shuld I adjust the bunk caps as well ( like brackets to support it better) ?

CircleJerk
12-05-2007, 01:03 AM
Trailer Bunks should be directly under the stringers if you have two. Some nice trailers have four to help distribute the load and minimize trailer caused damage. But what do I know Lou?