PDA

View Full Version : How to replace bow eye

sixgunsam
11-13-2007, 09:33 PM
Does anybody out there know of a 3' tall real skinny person that can crawl up through the bulk head and replace my bow eye?:D How the hell can this be done, I don't even think my 6 yr. old can make it, she will probably be able to get through the opening, but it gets really small after that.I have seen some boats with holes cut in the top, but I have a mahogany deck:( I can't do that. A local marine shop owner said the only way he thinks is to drill a hole big enough for my hand on the bottom of the boat next to the bow eye and re-glass. He said there isn't any structural support there and it is above water line. I don't know about fiberglass, but if I did this wouldn't you have to glass both sides? Can this work? Is there another option that I'm missing? HELP!

McIntyrelocal
11-13-2007, 09:59 PM
you could open the hole in the bulkhead enough to get someone older that could handle the job because ounce you get up there there should be enough room with the reach of a long arm to get to it you just might need a steady hand to thread the nuts. i would open the bulkhead before i cut the glass.

sleekcrafter
11-13-2007, 09:59 PM
I've heard of doing it both ways, I'm currently replacing mine. I will cut out the wooden bulked, and make a replacement, and glass it in, once the bow eye is in place.

McIntyrelocal
11-13-2007, 10:02 PM
if you just cut out enogh for you to fit through you should still have plenty of support there are alot of boat that have a real big opening so that they can use upfront for stoage.

sixgunsam
11-13-2007, 10:04 PM
I really think the bulkhead is big enough for one of my nimble skinny friends, I just don't think the boat is tall enough for the smallest of people.

McIntyrelocal
11-13-2007, 10:08 PM
well you dont need to stand up in there you just need to get your hand in.
measure your arm and is there enough room for you or whoever to get in there to do it by feel?

McIntyrelocal
11-13-2007, 10:09 PM
i promise its not gonna be comfortable.;)

howardflatty
11-13-2007, 10:50 PM
there is a pretty small guy at prime marine in rancho cucamonga that might fit call them 909-484-8338

Budweiser
11-13-2007, 10:55 PM
How about using a 3' extension (or a bunch of smaller ones) on a ratchet with a swivel & deep socket. I would imagine it would take some practice and patience to get the nuts to thread.

Budweiser
11-13-2007, 10:59 PM
let your daughter thread em, then use the extension to put some muscle on them.

LandSpeedRacer
11-14-2007, 05:23 AM
I heard Hornshwagle that wrestles on Friday Night Smackdown freelances . . . . .
Hey great to see you at PCR bro.
LSR

sangervdrive
11-14-2007, 12:32 PM
I'm a big guy and I was far enough up in my bow to reach it. Getting through the opening was not easy though, had to go one shoulder at a time.
Then again by big guy I mean 6'5" 250 so I prolly have some long arms.

bigheavyd2
11-14-2007, 05:24 PM
Buy a cheep socket and weld it to a 6 ft. rod, then get a cheep extention and weld it to it. then get a rachet and then tighten her up. And then sell it to the next guy. and the next guy, and then the next guy.

LilFlattie
11-14-2007, 07:20 PM
Hey sixgun, nice meeting you and Dave last weekend. You are the same size as me and I think you can do it. I did, and it was not fun. Is Dave still taking about the ride in the Hydro?

sixgunsam
11-14-2007, 07:24 PM
Sangervdrive, I had an identical hull to yours so I know about the room you have, this '66 has less room than that! Big Heavy I cannot get a socket over the top of the nut without hitting the underneath of the deck. I will go out to the garage and take some pics right now to show everyone how tight it is. I might have to e-mail someone to get the pics up:D

sixgunsam
11-14-2007, 07:26 PM
Hey lilflattie, I'll buy the COORS:D you drive down and squeeze in there:D

LilFlattie
11-14-2007, 07:56 PM
Hey lilflattie, I'll buy the COORS:D you drive down and squeeze in there:D
Hey, it's not MY boat:D All that fiberglass itching is gonna cost ya.:D

SnoC653
11-14-2007, 08:46 PM
Even if it's too tight to get a socket over it, use a crows foot. There is always a way to get to it somehow.

Boatmike
11-14-2007, 09:00 PM
You will need to find a skinny homie with long arms to do it. They will lay on thier chest and face and do it by feel. It really sucks up in there! Make sure they have light and a fan blowing air. It get hot in there even in the winter.

McIntyrelocal
11-14-2007, 09:44 PM
wratchet wrenches are a beatuful thing.;)

sixgunsam
11-14-2007, 09:52 PM
Thanks all for the suggestions, I am going to try the skinny friend, then the daughter, then the holesaw under the bow:(

Monkey Bung
11-15-2007, 03:12 AM
Cut a hole in the deck.

LandSpeedRacer
11-15-2007, 04:49 AM
You never even bothered to consider my Hornshwagle idea . . . ? . . . :mad:
LSR

sixgunsam
11-15-2007, 06:37 AM
Monkybung,Wooddeck. Scott, what are you talking about?

LandSpeedRacer
11-15-2007, 07:28 AM
Hornshwagle is the little midget leprechaun bastard who wrestles (and cheats) on WWE Friday Night Smackdown . . . . :idea: Maybe that is who I should have hired before hacking a hole in my bow last week . . . . :D

Monkey Bung
11-15-2007, 03:30 PM
It was a joke!!

sixgunsam
11-15-2007, 08:38 PM
Scott, I don't think you should talk about WWE out loud, you are over the age of 12 aren't you:D

sixgunsam
11-15-2007, 08:38 PM
Monkey Bung, I get jokes:D

LandSpeedRacer
11-16-2007, 05:25 AM
Ok, yes I'm over 12 but thanks for the advice . . . . . . actually I have a friend who does that for a living so naturally I get to hear all about it . . . . . besides if you knew who that leprachaun was you might have got a good laugh . . . . . uh . . . . never mind . . . . . . :D
Back to your problem, I don't know about your boat but I discovered the nut closer to the tip of the bow I could have not have tightened anyway, there was no room to get even an open end wrench on it. They must put those on before putting the top and bottom together or something. I also replaced the 3/8 - 16 regular nuts and lock washers (that didn't work) with SST Nylocks.
I owe a thank you to Fleetimus for the great idea for filling the hole in the bow - thanks Fleet!
LSR

RiverGames
11-16-2007, 12:08 PM
i replaced my bow eye about 4 months ago. cut down the bulkhead, crawled in that tight hole, then reglassed it in and put a venner across the whole bulkhead and reglassed it in. looks bitchen now

bondsman
11-16-2007, 05:43 PM
I put a airhose thru a mop handle and connected a small air ratchet with a wobble socket on the end. I flopped the socket over the nut and used the valve on the air tank to run the gun that taped wide open. I layed in the bottom of the boat and reached thru the bulkhead. My boat has a small bulkhead opening and very little room up front.

sixgunsam
11-16-2007, 08:43 PM
That is awesome Bondsman:D , if the friends 8 yr old daughter doesn't work tomarrow I will try that!

LandSpeedRacer
11-16-2007, 08:56 PM
Hey man good luck tommorrow . . . . .
By the way . . . . . is that sig pic of your Sanger Sanger emblem directed at me ??????:confused: :idea: :idea: :idea: :idea: :idea: :idea:
LSR
Better get back to FNSD . . . . :D

sixgunsam
11-16-2007, 09:23 PM
I'm pissed, you can barely make out the Sanger, California. It is to show up all the Fresno, California guys:D

LandSpeedRacer
11-17-2007, 08:22 AM
Sam, I heard those embems are worthless . . . . . tell you what since I like you . . . . . I'll swap my Sanger Fresno with ya to get the value of your boat back up . . . . . :idea: :D
I'll even throw in a bottle of JD but I'M NOT climbing up in your bow to tighten your nuts!:eek:
:D LSR

sixgunsam
11-17-2007, 08:01 PM
You had me until the end:D

Budweiser
11-18-2007, 03:50 PM
Ahhhh yes, a Hornshwagle might just do it. Worth a go anyway.:D

MEANSTREAK
11-18-2007, 07:22 PM
Dog, thats a great idea where ever did you come up with it.:rolleyes: I put a airhose thru a mop handle and connected a small air ratchet with a wobble socket on the end. I flopped the socket over the nut and used the valve on the air tank to run the gun that taped wide open. I layed in the bottom of the boat and reached thru the bulkhead. My boat has a small bulkhead opening and very little room up front.

old flat
11-19-2007, 07:23 AM
Sam, I heard those embems are worthless . . . . . tell you what since I like you . . . . . I'll swap my Sanger Fresno with ya to get the value of your boat back up . . . . . :idea: :D
I'll even throw in a bottle of JD but I'M NOT climbing up in your bow to tighten your nuts!:eek:
:D LSR
Who cares about the Sanger, Sanger emblems; it's what's under those emblems that count. Like that 66 dragster, HMMM... wasn't that the forerunner to the Sangster??? One of the best.......IMO.....
STEVE

ZRCTION
11-19-2007, 07:46 AM
I had to convince my wonderful wife to crawl up and fix mine. She was a good sport about it and didn't really cost me that much to get her to do it.