PDA

View Full Version : Good Havasu news

phebus
11-14-2007, 09:48 AM
News
Contact Point boat ramp gets thumbs up
By John Rudolf
Tuesday, November 13, 2007 10:35 PM MST
In a sign that efforts towards the construction of a new boat launch on the south side of town are gathering steam, the City Council unanimously approved an agreement between the city and Arizona State Parks designed to smooth the way toward the eventual completion of the ramp at Contact Point.
"This is an important document," said Bill Mulcahy, director of parks and recreation for the city. "Once we get this approved we can continue to move forward."
The memorandum of understanding recognizes the interest of both the city and the state in making the proposed boat launch at Contact Point a reality. According to city staff, the new launch has been a high priority for at least 10 years.
The cost of the new boat launch will be entirely borne by the state, which will ultimately operate the facility. However, the city has been working on behalf of the project by securing state funds that can be steered towards the design and construction of the launch.
Already the city has helped secure a $425,000 state grant to be used towards infrastructure. The source of the grant was the Arizona State Park's Board for State Lake Improvement Fund, which is generated by fuel taxes on boaters. Lake Havasu is among the top contributors to the funds, putting it near the top of the list for consideration of lake improvement projects.
"That's about as guaranteed as funding can get," said Mark Clark, interim director of public works.
The city will be reapplying for an additional $700,000 from the fund for infrastructure design and engineering. While it will be up to state parks to award the grant, the signing of the memorandum of understanding shows heightened interest on the part of the state to move the project forward.
The location of the boat launch is directly adjacent to the 320-acre proposed university site, and supporters of the university project believe that public boat access and other amenities will make the university site more attractive. Bill Ullery, representing the Lake Havasu Foundation for Higher Education, was on hand to urge approval of the memorandum.

Havasu Hangin'
11-14-2007, 09:53 AM
The location of the boat launch is directly adjacent to the 320-acre proposed university site, and supporters of the university project believe that public boat access and other amenities will make the university site more attractive. Bill Ullery, representing the Lake Havasu Foundation for Higher Education, was on hand to urge approval of the memorandum.
Perfect!
Get out of class, and they hand you a beer bong!
:messedup:

atomickitn
11-14-2007, 09:57 AM
:) :) its about time

riverracerx
11-14-2007, 10:20 AM
A university? :idea:
I bet the chem lab will be full! :eek:

Jyruiz
11-14-2007, 10:43 AM
That is good new, wonder how long before they actually finish with all the red tape and start building.

That Guy
11-14-2007, 10:51 AM
Where exactly will this be located? I don't know where contact point is at?..:confused: :confused:

voodoomedman
11-14-2007, 11:02 AM
Where exactly will this be located? I don't know where contact point is at?..:confused: :confused:
Sort of across from the Copper Canyon area. It is where the all the law enforcement boats are launched from and they have their facility.

HavasuSelect
11-14-2007, 11:13 AM
This is great news. We just moved from the North side of town (5 mins from Wndsor) to all the way South. Now it takes us about 20 mins.:mad: That's precious lake time:D

lalhc
11-14-2007, 11:15 AM
A university?
That's what I was thinking. Every time I drive by the Junior College in town, the parking lot is only about 33% full.

BEER&WATER
11-14-2007, 11:17 AM
somewhere around the red spot
http://i121.photobucket.com/albums/o237/eggfart1/contactpoint2.jpg

Ziggy
11-14-2007, 11:21 AM
University of Havasu Arizona.......UHA...........see, even the name laughs at the end :D :D
Lets see how many of us are alive by the time they complete this project...Glad to know they are finally thinking forward and making a move though.

BEER&WATER
11-14-2007, 11:25 AM
University of Havasu Arizona.......UHA...........see, even the name laughs at the end :D :D
Lets see how many of us are alive by the time they complete this project...Glad to know they are finally thinking forward and making a move though.
its allready here .. it will be an expantion
NAU Lake Havasu City Campus
Welcome to this local NAU campus where you can receive services, take classes, earn a degree, and benefit from the best NAU has to offer, right in your community. Use the menu at the left or the contact information below to discover some of your local options.
Welcome to Northern Arizona University in Lake Havasu!
The Lake Havasu City Campus is one of three NAU Distance Learning sites in Mohave County, with additional offices in Kingman and Bullhead City. To reach any of the campuses, please dial (800) 426-8315 and ask to be transferred to the campus nearest you.
Contact Information
Address:
1977 W Acoma Blvd
Building 1100
(on the Mohave Community College campus)
Lake Havasu City, AZ 86403 Phone: (928) 505-3362
Fax: (928) 505-4634
Email: lakehavasu@nau.edu

Outnumbered
11-14-2007, 11:28 AM
Now lets see some new ramps go in at Mohave and Mead to take a burden off of the existing facilities. Those lakes are in desperate need of some more AZ side launch ramps.

Ziggy
11-14-2007, 11:30 AM
its allready here .. it will be an expantion
NAU Lake Havasu City Campus
Welcome to this local NAU campus where you can receive services, take classes, earn a degree, and benefit from the best NAU has to offer, right in your community. Use the menu at the left or the contact information below to discover some of your local options.
Welcome to Northern Arizona University in Lake Havasu!
The Lake Havasu City Campus is one of three NAU Distance Learning sites in Mohave County, with additional offices in Kingman and Bullhead City. To reach any of the campuses, please dial (800) 426-8315 and ask to be transferred to the campus nearest you.
Contact Information
Address:
1977 W Acoma Blvd
Building 1100
(on the Mohave Community College campus)
Lake Havasu City, AZ 86403 Phone: (928) 505-3362
Fax: (928) 505-4634
Email: lakehavasu@nau.edu
Well that makes more sense then........

Quest4Fun
11-14-2007, 11:35 AM
I am happy about the new launch ramp, because it will be closer to my house.
But the 4 year University, not really sold on it. I wonder what all of those college kids will do for employment. :idea:

DeltaSigBoater
11-14-2007, 11:39 AM
As in a 4-7 year :rolleyes: University?
I would've applied there :D However outta state tuition is a bitch though :mad: and going out on the lake sounds better than going to class, especially when its hot outside and the water is nice!
Maybe I'll go back to school and get my masters so I can be a professor :idea:

BEER&WATER
11-14-2007, 12:03 PM
But the 4 year University, not really sold on it. I wonder what all of those college kids will do for employment. :idea:
??????????????????is growth a bad thing

Stoneman
11-14-2007, 12:09 PM
One of the best things for this place. Students will rent, and work in the service industry. Best of all it should increase the level of education of the population here.

Havasu_Dreamin
11-14-2007, 01:12 PM
Maybe I'll go back to school and get my masters so I can be a professor :idea:
Not a bad idea.....

Hardly Satisfied
11-14-2007, 01:33 PM
Can't wait until it's done.

DeltaSigBoater
11-14-2007, 01:37 PM
Not a bad idea.....
Professor DeltaSigBoater does have a nice ring to it :D

squirt'nmyload
11-14-2007, 01:45 PM
i though lake havasu was closing???? :D :D

dirtracer
11-14-2007, 03:19 PM
somewhere around the red spot
http://i121.photobucket.com/albums/o237/eggfart1/contactpoint2.jpg
damn...thats right across the street from my house.....maybe i should keep that thing.

Havasu1986
11-14-2007, 03:32 PM
damn...thats right across the street from my house.....maybe i should keep that thing.
Or at least use it has a selling tool. ;) You may get more money for it now. :confused:

burtandnancy2
11-14-2007, 03:38 PM
Outnumbered, FYI, there are plenty of launch ramps at Lake Mead, they just aren't where the water is...

Magic34
11-14-2007, 03:38 PM
Can't wait until it's done.
Hey hey hey... Dont think that you are going to go out there more. I still need place to stay. :D
Got tha package today. Thanks again!!!!!!!!!!!!