PDA

View Full Version : Weiand Stealth vs. Edelbrock Performer RPM

CoastGuardSteve
07-15-2002, 04:47 PM
I am looking at upgrading my intake from the stocker to something a little "nicer". I am getting a Bigs 750 V/S and was curious which would be better suited for my 460. Anyone have any experience with either of these manifolds on a boat?
Any thoughts on the matter are appreciated.
Thanks in advance,
Steve

HammerDown
07-15-2002, 05:36 PM
All the research I did years ago led me to the Stealth! But now Edelbrock has that air gap thing. Hard to call...but I'm happy with my chioce.

CoastGuardSteve
07-15-2002, 05:53 PM
I would go with the Air-Gap....but I have an enclosed engine that doesn't offer much room. How do you like the Weiand?
Steve

HammerDown
07-15-2002, 06:19 PM
Steve, I have no reason not to like the Stealth...pulls hard down below and midrange, also will work up to 6800 rpm's.
I can't see any advantage to the air gap if your motor's under a lid. Hot air is hot air! For that matter I can't see any reason for me to use one with my open engine. Like I said I'm pretty happy. And would be very surprised if there's any big differance from the Edelbrock Air Gap or there standard Performer series. Now ya might see something on a dyno?

460aquajet
07-15-2002, 06:33 PM
What about a Torker II vs. Performer?

HammerDown
07-15-2002, 06:46 PM
Originally posted by 460aquajet:
What about a Torker II vs. Performer?
Torker (was) used big time. But as the name suggest, it made strong torque down below.
And it is prefered by and still on the 455 Olds. Not so much the Chevys or Fords.
I would go with the other 2 choices, before even thinking about the torker. Just my opinion.

hack job
07-15-2002, 07:49 PM
iam with hammer the torker is not good for the ford application , as for the air gap it is not avilble for the 460 go with the stealth it seems to have worked better for most of the people i know but i really dont like the edlebrock stuff.good luck steve!
Tyson www.plumbersassracing.com (http://www.plumbersassracing.com)

77charger
07-15-2002, 08:22 PM
i run the rpm on my 429 works well for me but i am swithching to a victor jr next season.

CoastGuardSteve
07-16-2002, 05:51 AM
Hammerdown,
I completely agree with you about the Air-Gap. I am glad to hear the news on the Stealth. I am just trying to get some opinions on some items for reference. I am probably going to order my carb and manifold today. Once I get my impeller cut down to an Aggressor B I should be in good shape.
Thanks again to all who replied,
Steve

beached1
07-16-2002, 06:08 AM
I went from a Performer to a Torker II and lost a little off the bottom end and top speed. So, I went with an Air gap and been very happy with it. This is on a BBC.
BTW, I'm a rookie at this but, doesn't cam selection play a roll in manifold choice? Went I ordered a new cam and kit this last winter, Dave Crower made a point to tell me what kind of maifold I should be running with it.

CoastGuardSteve
07-16-2002, 07:39 AM
beached1,
You are correct about cam/manifold combinations.
Steve

Q-ball
07-16-2002, 08:14 AM
Hammerdown, I always understood the performer was 0-5500, RPM was 1500-6500, and Torker was 2500-7000. The name fools alot of people, my dad included. He put that big single plane Torker on my olds with stock compression and a stock cam. The dual plane manifold offers stronger bottom end torque than the single planes, but they don't flow as well as the singles in the upper RPM range. I also looked at my Mondellos book and he builds most of his motors with the edelbrock performer manifolds, not the Torker. And as far as the performer RPM Air gap goes, I looked in JEGS and you can buy complete small chevy motors built by Edelbrock and the RPM motor and the RPM Air gap motor show the SAME H.P and Torque numbers, but the Air gap costs more!?! Maybe I'm wrong but I hope not because I just traded my Torker straight across for a Performer!! Hope that helps, Q

460aquajet
07-16-2002, 03:46 PM
As far as cam/manifold combo's is the Stealth ok w/stock cam on a 460?

HammerDown
07-16-2002, 08:35 PM
Sure it's ok...but your not going to get the full potential the intake has to offer...Why not do a cam, carb, intake, and exhaust? That's a good all around performance upgrade.
Then when ya want more...and ya will want more...everybody want's MORE...jam some pistons in there to boost the compression!