PDA

View Full Version : you be the Ref..

MRS FLYIN VEE
11-14-2007, 01:21 PM
Big Ten may have made a very costly mistake
By Tom Dienhart - SportingNews
Tom Dienhart
SportingNews.com
Did the Big Ten make a $4.5 million mistake by allowing an officiating crew that was facing a suspension this weekend to work last Saturday's Illinois-Ohio State game?
As I reported last week, a source told me the conference plans to suspend the crew that officiated the Nov. 3 Purdue-Penn State game based on a review of its work in that game. That same crew worked one of the biggest Big Ten games of the year last weekend in Columbus.
Incredible.
Why would the Big Ten assign the crew -- a few of whom could be fired for their work in the Purdue-Penn State game -- to a game of this importance?
ADVERTISEMENT
The Big Ten does not comment on specific officiating issues.
The crew includes referee Stephen Pamon, umpire Pat Bayers, linesman Jack Teitz, line judge Robert Davis, back judge Dennis Morris, field judge Bobby Sagers and side judge Joe Duncan.
That group called just three penalties, one on Illinois and two on Ohio State. And a few perceived non-calls have Buckeye Nation angry. Many more fans are upset knowing this crew was running the game.
Were there blown calls? That's debatable. But perception matters more than reality. And the reality is this crew shouldn't have been trusted with such a game.
And how's this for another megadose of reality? The loss cost No. 1 Ohio State a shot at playing for the BCS title. What's more, that loss hurt the Big Ten's chances of sending a second school to a BCS bowl, which would net the conference an additional $4.5 million.
Now, the Big Ten will have to be satisfied with getting just one BCS team. The winner of this weekend's Ohio State at Michigan game will go to the Rose Bowl.
Tom Dienhart is a staff writer for Sporting News. E-mail him at tdienhart@sportingnews.com.
Editor's note: This story has been updated from the original version, which said the conference would net $17 million if Ohio State played in the BCS title game. The Big Ten receives $17 million whether the conference champ plays in the Rose Bowl or the BCS title game.
:jawdrop:

mbrown2
11-14-2007, 01:34 PM
I watched the game and OSU got beat by Illnois...not the Refs..
The writer was obvisiously a jilted OSU fan who has to cancel his new year BCS plans..

Sleek-Jet
11-14-2007, 01:35 PM
Big Ten may have made a very costly mistake
By Tom Dienhart - SportingNews
Tom Dienhart
SportingNews.com
Did the Big Ten make a $4.5 million mistake by allowing an officiating crew that was facing a suspension this weekend to work last Saturday's Illinois-Ohio State game?
As I reported last week, a source told me the conference plans to suspend the crew that officiated the Nov. 3 Purdue-Penn State game based on a review of its work in that game. That same crew worked one of the biggest Big Ten games of the year last weekend in Columbus.
Incredible.
Why would the Big Ten assign the crew -- a few of whom could be fired for their work in the Purdue-Penn State game -- to a game of this importance?
ADVERTISEMENT
The Big Ten does not comment on specific officiating issues.
The crew includes referee Stephen Pamon, umpire Pat Bayers, linesman Jack Teitz, line judge Robert Davis, back judge Dennis Morris, field judge Bobby Sagers and side judge Joe Duncan.
That group called just three penalties, one on Illinois and two on Ohio State. And a few perceived non-calls have Buckeye Nation angry. Many more fans are upset knowing this crew was running the game.
Were there blown calls? That's debatable. But perception matters more than reality. And the reality is this crew shouldn't have been trusted with such a game.
And how's this for another megadose of reality? The loss cost No. 1 Ohio State a shot at playing for the BCS title. What's more, that loss hurt the Big Ten's chances of sending a second school to a BCS bowl, which would net the conference an additional $4.5 million.
Now, the Big Ten will have to be satisfied with getting just one BCS team. The winner of this weekend's Ohio State at Michigan game will go to the Rose Bowl.
Tom Dienhart is a staff writer for Sporting News. E-mail him at tdienhart@sportingnews.com.
Editor's note: This story has been updated from the original version, which said the conference would net $17 million if Ohio State played in the BCS title game. The Big Ten receives $17 million whether the conference champ plays in the Rose Bowl or the BCS title game.
:jawdrop:
And yet another reason for College Football to have a playoff system...

Lavey5150
11-14-2007, 01:37 PM
Kansas/Hawaii......in the big show......? Give the WAC some credit

572Daytona
11-14-2007, 01:49 PM
Oh boy, the losing team's fans complaining about the refs, there's something you never hear. :rolleyes: If OSU was a team worthy of playing in the championship game they wouldn't lose to an unranked team at home over a few missed calls. And if there were missed calls they were on both sides, it's not like OSU was penalized either. And the implication of the article seems to imply that the Big 10 should pick their crews to make sure they maximize their BCS bowl chances?
I watched most of the game it looked to me like the Illini played a really good game, nothing was handed to them.

OnlyMoney
11-14-2007, 01:57 PM
Oh boy, the losing team's fans complaining about the refs, there's something you never hear. :rolleyes: If OSU was a team worthy of playing in the championship game they wouldn't lose to an unranked team at home over a few missed calls. And if there were missed calls they were on both sides, it's not like OSU was penalized either. And the implication of the article seems to imply that the Big 10 should pick their crews to make sure they maximize their BCS bowl chances?
I watched most of the game it looked to me like the Illini played a really good game, nothing was handed to them.
I agree. We were pretty damn excited when we watched it. Jsut goes to show anything can happen.