PDA

View Full Version : XM Install Gurus??????

Boatcop
11-14-2007, 04:16 PM
I got an XM SkyFi2 to put in the motor home. Now I have one in the Tahoe, and I have the antenna laying on the dash under the windshield. Using the FM modulator tuned to matched FM frequency. No problems. Excellent reception and sound.
Now the new SkyFi2 has this "SureConnect" deal that's supposed to attach to the FM antenna. Is this really necessary, or can I just mount the Sat antenna on the roof next to the FM antenna?

riverbound
11-14-2007, 04:24 PM
shouldnt be an issue

Hal
11-14-2007, 04:26 PM
Just set the XM ant. on the roof, if it works you should be good to go. I have the early skyFi and it doesn't have a sure connect option.

Boatcop
11-14-2007, 04:30 PM
Just tested it. Works fine without the SureConnect doodad.
Thanks

bocco
11-14-2007, 05:03 PM
I think the connection into the FM antenna cable is just a cleaner way to get the sound into your stereo from the SkyFi. Less likely to pick of any FM static. And will actually sound a bit better. The improvement will be more noticable in areas with lots of FM stations. I use one with a MyFi and it works great. Still need to match FM frequencys though.
As for the placement of the FM antenna. I have mine mounted under the plasic wiper cowling and it still works great. I have also mounted one under the fiberglass in my boat so you can't see it and it works great there also. The antennas like a metal ground plane behind them.

hoolign
11-14-2007, 05:11 PM
I got an XM SkyFi2 to put in the motor home. Now I have one in the Tahoe, and I have the antenna laying on the dash under the windshield. Using the FM modulator tuned to matched FM frequency. No problems. Excellent reception and sound.
Now the new SkyFi2 has this "SureConnect" deal that's supposed to attach to the FM antenna. Is this really necessary, or can I just mount the Sat antenna on the roof next to the FM antenna?
If it's FM problems try
here (http://***boat.com/forums/private.php?do=newpm&u=23116)
Not always the most clear advice but lots of info! !