PDA

View Full Version : Shipping a big block engine

hotrod56cars
11-14-2007, 09:15 PM
I need to ship an engine from San Diego to Maryland. I have a few friends who either have been or are still assoiciated with shipping bigger stuff like an engine but if things don't pan out with them...
Who do I call to ship an engine across country? Thanks.

GAWnCA
11-14-2007, 10:26 PM
I need to ship an engine from San Diego to Maryland. I have a few friends who either have been or are still assoiciated with shipping bigger stuff like an engine but if things don't pan out with them...
You might look up ABF, they do freight shipping.

RiverRacer
11-14-2007, 11:53 PM
Look at Forward Air out on Mission Gorge Rd by the Stadium. That is who I use for blocks and engines. Your item can be fully insured if it is in an enclosed crate and will arrive at the destination terminal in 2-4 days(east coast). Shipping is by surface freight, not air, so it is priced about $60.00 per 100 pounds. Just a thought. RR

sleekcrafter
11-15-2007, 05:07 AM
just a thought, if shipping on a pallet, put a sheet of 1/2 inch plywood down, then strap it down. Then build your enclosure, can't tell you how many times the load drops through the pallets. We get engines daily from all over the world, most are bolted to heavy timber, and plates, incorporated into the crate.

hotrod56cars
11-15-2007, 07:56 AM
I built the crate yesterday. The "pallet" is built out of 2 X 6's and 2 X 4's, plywood sides are 3/8" with a 2 X 2 frame. Since I built the pallet myself the flat bottomed oil pan is sitting right on a pair of 2 X 4's. The pallet was glued and screwed together.
Any guess what a BBC with iron heads weigh's, complete from oil pan to carb?
Thanks for the replies. :) Rod

77Woodbridge
11-15-2007, 08:35 AM
This site has dimesions and weights. Doesn't say if weights include heads and intake though.
http://carnut.com/specs/fengdim.html

THE BOSTON SIDEWINDER
11-15-2007, 08:56 AM
If you know a Mercruiser Dealer maybe buying one of their plastic engine crates from them would be cheaper than shipping hundreds of pounds of wood. Those engine crates are indestrutable! Get one with a tip gauge so it can be told if the shipper rolls it on their side or does any other stupid things with it !
We have been getting and shipping engines from and too all over the globe.
Hope this helps!

hotrod56cars
11-15-2007, 01:36 PM
If you know a Mercruiser Dealer maybe buying one of their plastic engine crates from them would be cheaper than shipping hundreds of pounds of wood. Those engine crates are indestrutable! Get one with a tip gauge so it can be told if the shipper rolls it on their side or does any other stupid things with it !
We have been getting and shipping engines from and too all over the globe.
Hope this helps!
I was told that all Mercruiser crates had to be returned to Mercruiser. It could have been a "white lie" but ?

cstraub
11-15-2007, 01:49 PM
Since UPS bought Overnight you can check with them. Fedex will also ship engines.

hotrod56cars
11-16-2007, 07:58 AM
The BBC leaves today heading to Maryland. $480, One Stop Logistics 800-469-7380
:D

AZKC
11-16-2007, 04:38 PM
I've used Freightquote.com over the years:)

Cs19
11-19-2007, 03:17 PM
I used Roadrunner Dawes when i shipped my block across the country. all the shipping companies are hard on stuff so pack it good. Could also look into Yellow transportation.

franky
11-19-2007, 05:25 PM
I used Roadrunner Dawes when i shipped my block across the country. all the shipping companies are hard on stuff so pack it good. Could also look into Yellow transportation.
and you shipped a block across the country because??

Cs19
11-19-2007, 06:13 PM
and you shipped a block across the country because??
Franky, had to send it out for some machine work on my block for my eliminator, not many guys do the modification that I needed. Turns out there is a guy in Az. that does it now, next time I will go that route, shipping that thing was a nightmare.
good seeing you last weekend, wish we could have talked more but you know how it is, good luck with lou lou keep me posted :)