PDA

View Full Version : Trade Cars Or Not????????

brianthomas
11-15-2007, 07:29 AM
I always trade cars Thanksgiving week every year. I drive a lot of miles for pleasure and some for business. For many years now I have been buying Chevy Tahoes with leather. The current one is 51 weeks old with 38,000 miles and stickered for $42,285. It is about time for tires and other maintenance if I keep it, probably cost around $1,500. The new '08 Tahoe I am looking at stickers at $47,770 as it is nicer and has more equipment. The dealer will trade me for $10,200. The difference in stickers is $5,485, so, if I were buying a new one identical to the old one it would cost about $4,715 difference. I hope I am making sense here.
I have been thinking about keeping the '07 that I am driving now for another year but would have to put $1,500 into tires and maintenance and it would have aprox. 76,000 miles on it a year from now. I really don't think I could trade for an identical Tahoe a year from now for twice the $4,715 trade difference or $9,430, do you?
What are everyones thoughts since you guys seem to buy a fair amount of new vehicles.

Rexone
11-15-2007, 07:41 AM
I always trade cars Thanksgiving week every year. I drive a lot of miles for pleasure and some for business. For many years now I have been buying Chevy Tahoes with leather. The current one is 51 weeks old with 38,000 miles and stickered for $42,285. It is about time for tires and other maintenance if I keep it, probably cost around $1,500. The new '08 Tahoe I am looking at stickers at $47,770 as it is nicer and has more equipment. The dealer will trade me for $10,200. The difference in stickers is $5,485, so, if I were buying a new one identical to the old one it would cost about $4,715 difference. I hope I am making sense here.
I have been thinking about keeping the '07 that I am driving now for another year but would have to put $1,500 into tires and maintenance and it would have aprox. 76,000 miles on it a year from now. I really don't think I could trade for an identical Tahoe a year from now for twice the $4,715 trade difference or $9,430, do you?
What are everyones thoughts since you guys seem to buy a fair amount of new vehicles.
So basically you are saying it cost you $4715 to drive this one for a year. It's only because you're getting addl equipment on the new one that it is $10,200?
If the addl equipment isn't overpriced (aftermarket stuff doubled) it's probably a great deal to trade up now I would think. My guess is it will get worse as another year passes. A vehicle with 38K is alot more desireable for someone I'd think than one with 76K.
Just my uneducated opinion. (I drive 10 year old crap). :D

SB
11-15-2007, 07:50 AM
Well it's almost like you are leasing one for $400/mo and yet you put 40,000 miles on it, whereas as a lease would limit you to 15,000 miles.
Under those terms you look like a genius.
Which makes it almost to good to be true.
But heck, if you can afford it, make the deal.
If you want to save money, you'll have to keep the truck for 10 years, and drive it into the ground. Trading in another year won't do you much good.

brianthomas
11-15-2007, 07:53 AM
So basically you are saying it cost you $4715 to drive this one for a year. It's only because you're getting addl equipment on the new one that it is $10,200?
If the addl equipment isn't overpriced (aftermarket stuff doubled) it's probably a great deal to trade up now I would think. My guess is it will get worse as another year passes. A vehicle with 38K is alot more desireable for someone I'd think than one with 76K.
Just my uneducated opinion. (I drive 10 year old crap). :D
I should be driving 10 year old crap but just enjoy new vehicles too much. I spent 10 years in a General Motors dealership as a GSM and a few more years with GM in Dealer Development. I got hooked on new rides.
There is no aftermarket equipment on either Tahoe the '09 is an LT3 package and with Z71 while the old one is just an LT2.
I was really looking for a reason to not trade this year and see what happens when I drive one for two years. I really thought it would cost more than this to trade.

Rexone
11-15-2007, 08:01 AM
I should be driving 10 year old crap but just enjoy new vehicles too much. I spent 10 years in a General Motors dealership as a GSM and a few more years with GM in Dealer Development. I got hooked on new rides.
There is no aftermarket equipment on either Tahoe the '09 is an LT3 package and with Z71 while the old one is just an LT2.
I was really looking for a reason to not trade this year and see what happens when I drive one for two years. I really thought it would cost more than this to trade.
It will probably take someone with more expertise than this 10 year old crap driver to truly answer your question on the 1 vs 2 year scenario.
After all, to me that trucks just gettin broke in like a new pair a shoes. :D
btw I'm overhaulin the rear end of my 10 year old crap mobile as we speak. I was told it was outta warranty. :mad:
:D

brianthomas
11-15-2007, 08:06 AM
It will probably take someone with more expertise than this 10 year old crap driver to truly answer your question on the 1 vs 2 year scenario.
After all, to me that trucks just gettin broke in like a new pair a shoes. :D
btw I'm overhaulin the rear end of my 10 year old crap mobile as we speak. I was told it was outta warranty. :mad:
:D
Just lemon law it and get it over with.

wright27
11-15-2007, 08:26 AM
I am just like you. I have an addiction for buying new vehicles. In the last 4 years I have owned 7 brand new vehicles.

brianthomas
11-15-2007, 08:34 AM
I am just like you. I have an addiction for buying new vehicles. In the last 4 years I have owned 7 brand new vehicles.
Oh it is an expensive habbit. Over the past 13 years since I have been out of the business I have owned about 16 differrent ones. I sometimes find reasons not to make it a full year. I do make my wife keep hers for three or four years though.:D

maxwedge
11-15-2007, 08:45 AM
It's my understanding that they really don't stop depreciating until they are 10 or 20 years old. But don't listen to me because I own a ten year old truck, 2 twenty year old cars, and a 114 year old house.:D

HocusPocus
11-15-2007, 09:11 AM
I just couldn't imagine getting a new truck every year or more. I bought my last truck in '05. The one before was bought in '93 and before that '85, which i still own. I do have a soft spot in my heart for the old K5 Blazers which I have owned several of but they were always bought used. My wife gets a new company vehicle every couple years but that doesn't come out of my pocket.

brianthomas
11-15-2007, 11:53 AM
I just couldn't imagine getting a new truck every year or more. I bought my last truck in '05. The one before was bought in '93 and before that '85, which i still own. I do have a soft spot in my heart for the old K5 Blazers which I have owned several of but they were always bought used. My wife gets a new company vehicle every couple years but that doesn't come out of my pocket.
I don't really pay for these out of my pocket. The small company I work for gives me a check each month for the payment amount and the fuel I burn. I pay the insurance and maintenance. This nice little situation would surely end if I decided to buy something unreasonably expensive or make some dumb trades some years. This has worked well for me for 13 years and I want it to continue for at least that many more.

ratso
11-15-2007, 11:56 AM
At least you're not some dumbass that's 50 grand upside down in a BMW...:D

brianthomas
11-15-2007, 06:25 PM
I went ahead and bought it. While doing the paperwork they always have you sign a form indicating how much rebate money you received. This is so the manufacturer knows that the customer got all of the rebate they were supposed to and the dealer did not try to hide and keep it. I received rebates totaling $2,750 which seems strange as the GM site and Edmunds both say the rebate is $1,750. Now I am not going to look a gift horse in the mouth but I think the dealer stepped on his own donk here. What happens if they realize their mistake in the next few days and want $1,000 dollars back? It would be really easy to tell them to go piss up a rope but there is also a thought of doing what is right.
Aw screw them, it's a car dealer!

catman-do
11-15-2007, 06:51 PM
So, if you are buying a 50k car, and its about 5k loss your taking between the value of your current vehicle and the sticker price on a new one? What about taxes and reg. Atleast on your current vehicle the registration goes down each year and is somewhat based upon a lower value. I would think that maint would cost about 1k on your current vehicle at 38k miles. Tires for a "C" rating may be 150x4= 600 + mount, balance= 650. Maint may cost 350-450. I dont see it at 1500.... Sounds a little rediculous to me. I would see that 4700 as 10k after taxes and reg.

BadKachina
11-15-2007, 06:52 PM
At least you're not some dumbass that's 50 grand upside down in a BMW...:D
Nice.:crossx: :D

brianthomas
11-15-2007, 07:03 PM
So, if you are buying a 50k car, and its about 5k loss your taking between the value of your current vehicle and the sticker price on a new one? What about taxes and reg. Atleast on your current vehicle the registration goes down each year and is somewhat based upon a lower value. I would think that maint would cost about 1k on your current vehicle at 38k miles. Tires for a "C" rating may be 150x4= 600 + mount, balance= 650. Maint may cost 350-450. I dont see it at 1500.... Sounds a little rediculous to me. I would see that 4700 as 10k after taxes and reg.
Here we only pay tax on the trade difference so the tax was something like $510 on the deal. Plates are 1% of base MSRP before options and do not go down till the vehicle is 7 years old. The plate diff was $9. I should have bought the identical vehicle in an '08 and with tax it would have been about $5k. Not bad for a year newer and dropping 38,000 miles. The new one is Blue Granite Metalic and has the Z71 package with different wheels and fender flares. Looks pretty sharp.

HocusPocus
11-15-2007, 07:36 PM
I don't really pay for these out of my pocket. The small company I work for gives me a check each month for the payment amount and the fuel I burn. I pay the insurance and maintenance. This nice little situation would surely end if I decided to buy something unreasonably expensive or make some dumb trades some years. This has worked well for me for 13 years and I want it to continue for at least that many more.
that doesn't sound too bad at all then, i just figured you were a baller. :D

r erfert
11-15-2007, 07:47 PM
Sounds like a good deal except your still on the hook for:
$47,770
But what do I know I drive a 98 car and a 97 truck:idea:
Nice to have the new toys but for now no car payments

scooooter7
11-15-2007, 08:08 PM
Nice to have the new toys but for now no car payments
Now that is my dream, I mean goal.