PDA

View Full Version : Spectre 30' with 300's--how fast?

Keith E. Sayre
03-03-2006, 03:50 PM
My buddy has a 2001 30' Spectre Cat with 300's and I'm thinking that it is
probably a bit faster than most since it is so clean and has a Myco triple axle trailer and a $25,000 custom paint job and there are no scratches anywhere.
How fast do you think it will go? How fast do you think it will go at $89,000?
Does a $5,000 cd system make a boat go any faster? What if it's never been
in salt water?
Just wondering?
Keith Sayre
928-680-1400http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/1106Spectra_side_on_trailer.jpg http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/1106Dscf0102.jpg http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/1106Dscf0103.jpg

CornWater
03-03-2006, 03:54 PM
Won't last long at that price... wish this would have been available last year..

Dave C
03-03-2006, 04:01 PM
no really how fast? as in MPH?

Charley
03-03-2006, 04:07 PM
should go fast pro max's and all ;)

OrangePicker
03-03-2006, 04:12 PM
I looked at that boat about a year ago it has been for sale over a year It is very very clean thats a good deal

Riverkid
03-03-2006, 05:37 PM
1-800-Jordy...
My buddy Kyle says 102 with his... :)
That's a deal. Nice rig.

Jordy
03-03-2006, 06:05 PM
The steering wheel is on the wrong side though. That will slow ya down. :)
Keith, check your pm's. ;)

TCHB
03-03-2006, 06:07 PM
Kieth this is Tony. Still waiting for the word.

Jordy
03-03-2006, 06:10 PM
Hey Keith, how about you clear some pm's so I can send you one. Dang. :D

mbrown2
03-03-2006, 06:12 PM
Nice Camoflauge Spam...:)
The Spam is getting creative...between this and GT's stuff.:)

BoatFloating
03-04-2006, 02:46 AM
Nice Camoflauge Spam...:)
The Spam is getting creative...between this and GT's stuff.:).
That's what I was thinking..... Smooth.... :idea:

Jordy
03-04-2006, 08:30 AM
That's what I was thinking..... Smooth.... :idea:
Gotta hand it to Keith for thinking outside the box. :D :D :D
Keith, I sent it to you in email form as you're just too popular to PM. ;)

TCHB
03-04-2006, 08:40 AM
What type of fuel do you need in the Mercury 300s?

Jordy
03-04-2006, 08:42 AM
91, 92, whatever. It's all ball bearings these days. :D

mbrown2
03-04-2006, 08:53 AM
You can run 91 or better, but I would run nothing less then AV....just better insurance...

Jordy
03-04-2006, 09:02 AM
You can run 91 or better, but I would run nothing less then AV....just better insurance...
I've never run anything but 91 in mine. Saw a deal, I believe on Scream and Fly where they were losing performance out of the 300X's on av. :idea:

mbrown2
03-04-2006, 09:11 AM
I've never run anything but 91 in mine. Saw a deal, I believe on Scream and Fly where they were losing performance out of the 300X's on av. :idea:
Yeah, I think its like the capacitor argument:)....I remember Lew telling me he runs in it everything including his lawnmower...; that was after I had him replace my powerhead while running 91 in it......maybe that was not the cause....but I just worried after that point. In addition, 91 around Parker might really be 85....

Riverkid
03-04-2006, 09:17 AM
I do the same thing. Parker Oil has Av not much higher than 92 anyways... We usually pump the Av out of the boat in the winter for the lawnmower and John Deere, buggy, etc.
Cheap insurance. :)

Havasu Cig
03-04-2006, 09:21 AM
I run nothing but straight AV in my X's and they run great. When I had my 2.5's Merc actually said to run AV over 91 if it was available. Ritchie at Lakeland said he has seen some X's not run well on straight AV but others (like mine) don't have a problem with it. Good insurance IMO with the heat in Havasu.
As far as the spped of that Spectre I would say 110 MPH on a good day with a light load. Easy 100 MPH everyday boat.

Havasu Cig
03-04-2006, 09:23 AM
I do the same thing. Parker Oil has Av not much higher than 92 anyways... We usually pump the Av out of the boat in the winter for the lawnmower and John Deere, buggy, etc.
Cheap insurance. :)
You should just leave the AV in the boat. It can sit for the winter and still be good.

Hardly Satisfied
03-04-2006, 09:23 AM
nice boat .take it for a test run

Jordy
03-04-2006, 10:30 AM
I run nothing but straight AV in my X's and they run great.
Hmmm.... might have to make a trip to Scottsdale Airport. :D :D :D

Sigus
03-04-2006, 02:09 PM
Excelent presentation!

TCHB
03-04-2006, 03:14 PM
What will insurance run on a boat like this?

Havasu Cig
03-04-2006, 06:15 PM
What will insurance run on a boat like this?
depends on how much you insure it for, what cat experience you have, lay-up, coastal or just inland lakes etc... I would say it could range from $2500 - $5000 depending on the above factors.

Havasu Cig
03-04-2006, 06:17 PM
Hmmm.... might have to make a trip to Scottsdale Airport. :D :D :D
Hopefully they are more cool there than they are here. I tryed to get fuel in my DCB from a local airport in So.Cal and they would not do it because of insurance reasons. They said I could come after hours and pump it myself with a credit card, or put it into gas cans.

Racer277
03-04-2006, 06:32 PM
Hopefully they are more cool there than they are here. I tryed to get fuel in my DCB from a local airport in So.Cal and they would not do it because of insurance reasons. They said I could come after hours and pump it myself with a credit card, or put it into gas cans.
They say the same up here.
No biggie, the jockies leave at 5pm.
Just keep your wits about you, drive up to the island, fill up like normal.
Head on a swivel...

Jordy
03-05-2006, 01:15 AM
Never had a problem at Scottsdale with any of my boats that ran on av, nor with gas cans for the quad and dirt bike. This boat was nice because I could just go to the regular gas station. However, I checked prices today and Scottsdale is almost $5.00 a gallon and I can go to Mesa and get fuel at Falcon Field (about 25 miles away) for around $3.00 for 100LL. That's worth the drive to me. Still got 1/2 tanks right now. Going to run around tomorrow for a while and then go top off with AV and see what happens. :D :D :D

TOBTEK
03-05-2006, 07:13 AM
I tried the same thing at the Oceanside airport, when we had the 22...... NOPE, no boats! so I invested in 15 racecans at 20 bucks each...(painfull!) line them up in the back of the truck and fill them up. Pain in the BUTT but still fill its good insurance.

Havasu Cig
03-05-2006, 02:17 PM
I tried the same thing at the Oceanside airport, when we had the 22...... NOPE, no boats! so I invested in 15 racecans at 20 bucks each...(painfull!) line them up in the back of the truck and fill them up. Pain in the BUTT but still fill its good insurance.
That's the same place I ran into the problem. Like I said above they told me to just come after hours and do it myself. :cool:

HavasuDreamin'
03-06-2006, 06:33 AM
The problem the airports are having is that aviation fuel does not have road taxes on it. Therefore, the airport can be fined for selling non-taxed fuel for use other than in a plane. This includes a boat. In Illinois and Indiana, they will not even pump it in gas cans for me unless I give them a tail number, so I found alternative sources. It also helps that I can get 94 octane at the pump out here.
Instead of putting 10 gas cans in the back of my truck, I have found this to be useful. I fill it up with race fuel. Then when I need to fill up the boat, I will pump some from the caddy and fill the rest up at the pump. Makes the race fuel last longer. This can be found at www.toddusa.com
http://www.toddusa.com/images/P93-2400Grav_225.jpg

TOBTEK
03-06-2006, 09:45 AM
That's the same place I ran into the problem. Like I said above they told me to just come after hours and do it myself. :cool:
AFTERHOURS ?? HOW would you get through the locked gate? I allways have to pump it myself. Allways grab a tail # from a near by plane and pump away. Last time I was there, which was some time ago it was 2.75 a gallon for 100LL dont know where its at now. I also thought about a gas caddy, but I thought it would be way to heavy to get out of the truck.

Racer277
03-06-2006, 09:56 AM
Our gates have a coded key pad.
After 9-11 it got a little more difficult.
Now we hafta be nice to one of the Mercury West girls to give us the code, as it changes monthly....

Havasu Cig
03-06-2006, 02:28 PM
AFTERHOURS ?? HOW would you get through the locked gate? I allways have to pump it myself. Allways grab a tail # from a near by plane and pump away. Last time I was there, which was some time ago it was 2.75 a gallon for 100LL dont know where its at now. I also thought about a gas caddy, but I thought it would be way to heavy to get out of the truck.
They told me the lock on the gate does not work. Just slide it open by hand. This was a few years ago though so I don't know if things have changed. They also told me to just pull the tail numbers off a near by plane when the pump ask for it.
As far as road tax, it should not matter if it is going in a boat. They said they could not let me bring the boat onto the tarmack because of insurance. I parked the boat in the lot and went back and forth with cans the last time.

BoatFloating
03-06-2006, 07:03 PM
You San DIego guys I have a hook up over at Gillespie Field in El Cajon. Let me know and I'll make the calls.

Brian
03-06-2006, 07:05 PM
My buddy has a 2001 30' Spectre Cat with 300's and I'm thinking that it is
probably a bit faster than most ...How fast do you think it will go?
Rode in Jordy's Spectre yesterday. I'd say about 78, maybe 80.
:D

Jordy
03-06-2006, 07:29 PM
It was just lucky for us that we had that 30 mph tailwind pushing us or you would have been really disappointed. ;)

Brian
03-06-2006, 07:34 PM
It was just lucky for us that we had that 30 mph tailwind pushing us or you would have been really disappointed. ;)
My tunnel goes faster into the wind. Must be the training wheel.
:cry:

phebus
03-06-2006, 07:49 PM
We don't care about the temperature, has he hit 60 yet? :)

Jordy
03-06-2006, 08:04 PM
We don't care about the temperature, has he hit 60 yet? :)
Baby steps my friend, baby steps. :D

Brian
03-06-2006, 08:14 PM
It was just "hot" enough to make a whole bunch of tops fall off this weekend...
:devil:

Woodster
03-06-2006, 08:36 PM
Toby I have the gate code for Gillespe field down here in Elcajon..Let me know if you ever need it

TOBTEK
03-07-2006, 06:44 AM
Toby I have the gate code for Gillespe field down here in Elcajon..Let me know if you ever need it
you have a gate code ?? so thats why you sold the boat...huh. What, are you gonna start lurking over on " HOT PLANE " now or something :) Having a plane would be over the top cool! from Carlsbad to Havasu in about an hour and a half...insted of the average 6 hours :cool:

Havasu Cig
03-07-2006, 09:41 AM
you have a gate code ?? so thats why you sold the boat...huh. What, are you gonna start lurking over on " HOT PLANE " now or something :) Having a plane would be over the top cool! from Carlsbad to Havasu in about an hour and a half...insted of the average 6 hours :cool:
We have been thinking the same thing, but you would need something pretty fast to make it in a hour and a half. I did my long solo from Carlsbad to Havasu in a piece of $hit 150 Cessna and it was about 3 hours of getting rocked by bad air. A nice twin though would be the ticket. :cool:

TOBTEK
03-07-2006, 01:18 PM
We have been thinking the same thing, but you would need something pretty fast to make it in a hour and a half. I did my long solo from Carlsbad to Havasu in a piece of $hit 150 Cessna and it was about 3 hours of getting rocked by bad air. A nice twin though would be the ticket. :cool:
SO if you bought a LEAR, would you be considerd "SKY LICE" since bombardier/seadoo owns Lear and challenger jet aircraft :)

Woodster
03-07-2006, 04:38 PM
LOL ya I just ordered my Gulfstream.. Should be ready in 6 weeks :rolleyes: :) I used to run AV gas in all of my 2 strokes and also sometimes in my buggy..Stuff smells so good!

Keith E. Sayre
03-08-2006, 01:06 PM
I happen to know someone with a Lear 45 who can be from LAX to Havasu in
22 minutes. Now that's getting it done!
Keith Sayre

Racer277
03-08-2006, 01:19 PM
Keith Sayre
I bet it takes longer to park the car and get thru the airport.
Nice!

TOBTEK
03-08-2006, 03:56 PM
Keith Sayre
thats what im talikng about! how fast is that plane? having something like that at your finger tips would be the ultimate! used to have a client when I was with BMW that had his own plane, used to shoot up to mammoth, Havasu, catalina....... MUST BE NICE!

Havasu Cig
03-08-2006, 04:00 PM
Keith Sayre
Does his brother have one as well, or do they share. :cool:

Keith E. Sayre
03-08-2006, 04:09 PM
Tobtek--if you were with BMW, you probably do know this particular person!
Havasu Cig-- they share!!
Racer 277--it almost takes the same amount of time to drive from Conquest to the airport here in LHC!
Keith Sayre
Conquest Boats

Havasu Cig
03-08-2006, 04:39 PM
Racer 277--it almost takes the same amount of time to drive from Conquest to the airport here in LHC!
Keith Sayre
Conquest Boats
I used to camp with his brother in Glamis back in the 90's. He would roll out their with some nice hardware. Nice guy btw...

OrangePicker
03-09-2006, 12:38 PM
Keith Sayre
Conquest Boats
I want in..... If he was on here would he be called Potato picker?

Havasu Cig
03-09-2006, 01:16 PM
I want in..... If he was on here would he be called Potato picker?
Yes... :)