PDA

View Full Version : Carb Spacer

River Rat 005
11-15-2007, 02:46 PM
It seems customary to use a 1" one. How do you go about finding out how much to put in? How does a spacer affect low end? How does it affect top end? I've got a 1" open and I added a 1/2" 4 hole and seen no difference.

Sleeper CP
11-15-2007, 08:09 PM
For the most part you'll have to be on a dyno to tell the differance. Typical incease is 10-15 HP on some engines, depending on the overall combo you might only see 5 hp. Even if it is 15 hp you wont actually see that in the water with a jet or hydro when you figure out on the upper end how much more power it takes to turn another 100-200 rpm's. It takes alot more that 15 hp.
The 4 hole might help it idle a little better and a tad better on transition. The 1/2" 4 hole on top of the 1" open isn't a bad idea. You might want to try a 2" open.
Sleeper CP
Big Inch Ford Lover

pw_Tony
11-15-2007, 08:17 PM
Could try making one of these :idea:
I think it's an open hole spacer on top blended into a four whole spacer on the bottom
http://i227.photobucket.com/albums/dd6/pw383426/0301phr_rmouse24z.jpg

Sleeper CP
11-15-2007, 09:34 PM
Could try making one of these :idea:
I think it's an open hole spacer on top blended into a four whole spacer on the bottom
http://i227.photobucket.com/albums/dd6/pw383426/0301phr_rmouse24z.jpg
Geoff's speed parts:D . The ones that Wilson sells or HTM(?) are good, You can find them in a Summit or Jegs catalog.
River rat is your carb a 4150 series or a dominator?
Sleeper CP

IMPATIENT 1
11-15-2007, 09:58 PM
so i'm lookin at spacers myself and keep hearing decent responses with the super sucker type 1inch spacers. are the worth the 100 bucks? gonna be runnin a big plate nitrous kit on top of the victor intake. figured i could run the nitrous between the manifold and super sucker. will be turnin @7200-7400 on full spray. what do yall think about em??:confused:

spectras only
11-15-2007, 10:34 PM
Send a pm to member 'CFM' on this board for extensive info . http://www.cfm-tech.com/
Back in the 70's some big blocks did benefit of the use of spacers as much as 6" tall in the Parker enduro races ;)

Sleeper CP
11-15-2007, 10:37 PM
so i'm lookin at spacers myself and keep hearing decent responses with the super sucker type 1inch spacers. are the worth the 100 bucks? gonna be runnin a big plate nitrous kit on top of the victor intake. figured i could run the nitrous between the manifold and super sucker. will be turnin @7200-7400 on full spray. what do yall think about em??:confused:
I've had good luck with the Super Sucker spacers on 4 different engines.
Sleeper CP
Big Inch Ford Lover

IMPATIENT 1
11-15-2007, 10:45 PM
I've had good luck with the Super Sucker spacers on 4 different engines.
Sleeper CP
Big Inch Ford Lover
should have mentioned i was runnin a single dominator 1050, flows over 1150cfm. i herd they help transition at low rpms/improve booster signal, any truth to it?

pw_Tony
11-15-2007, 10:56 PM
should have mentioned i was runnin a single dominator 1050, flows over 1150cfm. i herd they help transition at low rpms/improve booster signal, any truth to it?
That spacer there was made before they production made them I believe. That spacer cleared up several motors and they all benefitted from it. Anywhere from 10-30horsepower. I know I'm getting one very soon

Placecraft Dragstar
11-16-2007, 03:24 AM
On the roundy round boats, ( hydroplanes ) that are limited to cubic inches they run like 8 to 10 inches of spacer to get the RPM they want to go fast. The more spacer up put on it takes from the bottom end and puts it on the top end.

cfm
11-16-2007, 09:06 AM
It seems customary to use a 1" one. How do you go about finding out how much to put in? How does a spacer affect low end? How does it affect top end? I've got a 1" open and I added a 1/2" 4 hole and seen no difference.
List full motor specs and parts along with top rpm and throttle bore size if not stock.
I'll give you my best 02.

cstraub
11-16-2007, 10:35 AM
Guy,
Contact CFM, he has done a ton of testing with spacers and has a good deal on the HVH stuff.

River Rat 005
11-16-2007, 06:48 PM
Here's what I've got.
468 BBC
12.5 comp
Brodix BB2 Plus non CNC box stock
Super Vic intake port matched
1050 Dom mostly stock just jet change
Comp Cam Dur.@.050 283/287 Lift .800/.719 LSA 110* custom grind I got from a friend.
Depending on the prop, I shift at 7200 RPM or 7400 RPM. The finish line RPM is about the same as the shift RPM. At the launch, the RPM flashes to 6500 to 6800.
This is in a Kurtis 500 hydro used for drag racing only.

ol guy
11-16-2007, 11:46 PM
You are dealing with air flow and fuel flow, Create more air space and add feul to fill the void. REJET. Spark-plug readings tell the story.

cfm
11-19-2007, 06:04 AM
I'd use a 1" SS4500-1.
I couldn't imagine the 2" SS making more power since the "restriction" to the breathing of this motor is the stock BB-2+'s and then the cubic inches. IE: the restriction is downstream of the carb and intake. Because of the carb/intake the SS will provide a stronger and cleaner signal to the carb and let it work more the way that it should.
So............use a 1" Super Sucker and stop thinking about carb spacers. Think about something else. LOL.
BTW: If others have a combo like this but a Vic Jr and a 4150 carb I would go with a 2" easily.
http://marine-performance-parts.com/images/products/detail/SS45001A.JPG

IMPATIENT 1
11-19-2007, 06:12 AM
I'd use a 1" SS4500-1.
I couldn't imagine the 2" SS making more power since the "restriction" to the breathing of this motor is the stock BB-2+'s and then the cubic inches. IE: the restriction is downstream of the carb and intake. Because of the carb/intake the SS will provide a stronger and cleaner signal to the carb and let it work more the way that it should.
So............use a 1" Super Sucker and stop thinking about carb spacers. Think about something else. LOL.
BTW: If others have a combo like this but a Vic Jr and a 4150 carb I would go with a 2" easily.
http://marine-performance-parts.com/images/products/detail/SS45001A.JPG
what would you suggest for a nice flowed dominator setting on a nitrous plate system and victor intake(for dominator)? i keep hearing good things about the super suckers and wondered if they helped much. go 1" or 2"?phenolic or alum?

River Rat 005
11-19-2007, 08:58 AM
Thanks CFM. I think I'll try this. I was thinking of the 1" 4 hole. What I'm looking for is a little more at the hit of the throttle. I thought about a 4150 but a lot of boats are running tunnel rams. I figured 1050 Dom is less carb and only one to mess with. I got this thing pretty much dialed in on the 9.00. Working on the launch.

cfm
11-19-2007, 10:30 AM
No problem.
You can't really compare one 4500 on a single plane vs 2 4150's on a tunnel ram by the "1050" vs "2 x 750's or what have you."
Totally different animals (designs) and thus carb's 'real' airflow demands and such are different.
Kind of like a dual plane vs single plane. The engine see's the carbs different. A dual plane on same engine will like more carb.

cfm
11-19-2007, 10:41 AM
what would you suggest for a nice flowed dominator setting on a nitrous plate system and victor intake(for dominator)? i keep hearing good things about the super suckers and wondered if they helped much. go 1" or 2"?phenolic or alum?
The SS's for the Dom's are available in standard 2" throttle bores and also 2 1/8" throttle bores for the big momma's. They are also available for the Cloverleaf top intake manifolds (ex: Ford Vic for BB's) . No generic spacers here ! LOL.
1.5-2" total (spacer + nitrous plate) will be fine.
HVH and NX had a spacer that had the nitrous lines in it. You could get in a 2 line or 4 line .Not sure if available anymore from NX, you can check. Guess HVH didn't like the business dealings or something with them. I forget, was a few years ago, so don't quote that. It made huge power though.
I'd spend extra money and get aluminum. Way more dependable. Heat to carb with that sort of motor (using juice) will not be a problem. Plus, it won't melt/crack/etc if you have a big nitrous backfire.

IMPATIENT 1
11-19-2007, 10:45 AM
The SS's for the Dom's are available in standard 2" throttle bores and also 2 1/8" throttle bores for the big momma's. They are also available for the Cloverleaf top intake manifolds (ex: Ford Vic for BB's) . No generic spacers here ! LOL.
1.5-2" total (spacer + nitrous plate) will be fine.
HVH and NX had a spacer that had the nitrous lines in it. Not sure if available anymore from NX, you can check. Guess HVH didn't like the business dealings or something with them. I forget, was a few years ago, so don't quote that. It made huge power though.
I'd spend extra money and get aluminum. Way more dependable. Heat to carb with that sort of motor (using juice) will not be a problem. Plus, it won't melt/crack/etc if you have a big nitrous backfire.
as a matter of fact, i'm runnin the big 2 stage twin gemini nitrous express set-up and i was hoping the ss spacer would work well with the ss ontop!

cfm
11-19-2007, 12:02 PM
So you already have the HVH/NX Super Sucker blended spacer with integral nitrous lines ? If you do, do not run any spacer over this and do not run a super sucker or other 4 into 1 blended (or 4 hole for that matter) spacer underneath it !!!! A 1/2" or 1" open underneath it will be fine if you want more plenum volume. Just make sure their are no ledges at mating of both spacers.
You do not want to go from open to 4 hole no matter what the circumstance !!!!

IMPATIENT 1
11-19-2007, 12:06 PM
So you already have the HVH/NX Super Sucker blended spacer with integral nitrous lines ? If you do, do not run any spacer over this and do not run a super sucker or other 4 into 1 blended (or 4 hole for that matter) spacer underneath it !!!! A 1/2" or 1" open underneath it will be fine if you want more plenum volume. Just make sure their are no ledges at mating of both spacers.
You do not want to go from open to 4 hole no matter what the circumstance !!!!
i don't have the hvh/nx plate, just the 2 stage twin gemini plate with the old school bars(it has 3, 1 centered, and 2 on the outside).keithsvt got me a smoking deal on the 1100.00 kits, he beat it by ALOT:D

cfm
11-19-2007, 12:10 PM
Just found the Super Sucker Nitrous Plate (HVH/NX) article that Car Craft did:
http://www.cfm-tech.com/ccarticle-1-1.htm

cfm
11-19-2007, 12:12 PM
i don't have the hvh/nx plate, just the 2 stage twin gemini plate with the old school bars(it has 3, 1 centered, and 2 on the outside).keithsvt got me a smoking deal on the 1100.00 kits, he beat it by ALOT:D
Okay, cool. Yup, just put a 1" Super Sucker over it (open nitrous plate) and you'll be good to go.

IMPATIENT 1
11-19-2007, 12:37 PM
Okay, cool. Yup, just put a 1" Super Sucker over it (open nitrous plate) and you'll be good to go.
I APPRECIATE THE ADVISE!

Sleeper CP
11-19-2007, 07:18 PM
The Super Suckers are good pieces I've fooled with them and other's on the dyno over the years:
http://i201.photobucket.com/albums/aa150/Sleepercp/DSCN2489.jpg
I realized I have two Dominator Super Suckers some place a 1" and a 2" now I can't remember if I loaned the to someone, damn.....:( :idea:
Here is a picture of the other carb I'm trying. I have used it on the dyno on three different engines from 7 years ago, but it has never been on the boat. Looks like I'll have to wait to next year to see how it works:http://i201.photobucket.com/albums/aa150/Sleepercp/DSCN2488.jpg
http://i201.photobucket.com/albums/aa150/Sleepercp/DSCN2486.jpg
Sleeper CP
Big Inch Ford Lover

pw_Tony
11-19-2007, 08:17 PM
John did you make sure and wax all those spacers before setting them up for that snazzy pics? :D

Sleeper CP
11-19-2007, 08:30 PM
No, but I did have to clean a bunch of crap off the work bench:(
Sleeper CP
Big Inch Ford Lover

Placecraft Dragstar
11-27-2007, 04:29 AM
I do not know how well this brand works but the price looks good.
http://static.racingjunk.com/1/ui/1/98/0880509494447-Flow-Plate-for-4500-Dominator.jpg
$29.99
The SchmidtMotorWorks.com 4500 Fairing Plate is a blended carburetor spacer that fits 4500 flange open plenum manifolds, open spacers or tunnel ram top plates.
Fairing Plates are an alternative to shear plates. Some engines will produce more power with a Fairing Plate than a Shear Plate.
The fairing improves flow from the carburetor exit into the manifold by providing a gradual transition from the 4 holes in the carburetor base to the square opening in the manifold. The fully blended shape acts like a trailing faring to prevent the air/fuel mixture from expanding too quickly. Flow passages that expand abruptly cause flow restricting turbulence. The gradual blending in the Super Spacer eliminates turbulence that normally exists at the carburetor exist that chokes-off flow at wide open throttle.
Note: I do not currently make a flow plate for the 4150 or spreadport carbs.
206-420-1676