PDA

View Full Version : Thinking of moving to a jet but first a few questions

Phat_Kat
06-26-2003, 07:20 AM
I am starting into the market for possibly a jetboat and I have a few questions to help me decide. The only boat that really holds my interest is the ULTRA 22 STEALTH. My other pick is the mach 22, daytona 22, or daytona21 which I may like a in a jet version. The 22 cats will obviously be swinging a prop around but the 21 daytona and the Ultra will most likely be jet because I think that a jet belongs on those smaller boats over a sterndrive. I want to know what kind of setup I would need for my purposes. I will probably run a 700-800HP marine assault custom engine in the boat. I'd like to do the powercoat on the jet like the boat on the cover of the JULY Issue. I'd buy that specific boat but it's too much. My budget is capped at $65k that I can stretch to $75K but I'd rather stay in the $60k range for my own sanity. My real questions are what is the best jet for balls out kinda stuff. I will pack this thing full on holidays but I want something that I can still get a hell of a rush out of. The daytona will do that either way but what I'm really worried about is the ULTRA. I want it to still get me pumped up. What's the best speed setup that won't shit out on me when I fill it up. My uncle put a speed oriented setup in his bahner once and when we'd get a good load going it would barely move. He had more like 380 ponies but still the point is made. Also would those rudders be good for some one making the switch from a prop to a jet or are they just something else on the jet? And which place diverter setup would you recommend, manual or electric? And finnally what's the best "speed setup" this includes the full output.
Thanks
[ June 26, 2003, 08:21 AM: Message edited by: Phat_Kat ]

HBjet
06-26-2003, 07:25 AM
You can't go wrong with a tunnel. I personally still think the 21' Daytona is the ultimate hull for a jet. If you are on a budget, I would talk to John at Inland Ultra and take a look at there 21' tunnel deck boat (in a jet) and I know they have a 21' tunnel which is basically identical to the Daytona, just a little easier on the wallet. If you want to hull a few people, and the mail in a jet, the 21' tunnel is the way to go with 700-800hp.
HBjet

565edge
06-26-2003, 07:27 AM
Get ahold of john with j&m on these boards and get a 21' edge phantom,with $60,000 to play with you could definitly build one bad ass boat that would put you in the seat.

Phat_Kat
06-26-2003, 07:30 AM
HBjet:
You can't go wrong with a tunnel. I personally still think the 21' Daytona is the ultimate hull for a jet. If you are on a budget, I would talk to John at Inland Ultra and take a look at there 21' tunnel deck boat (in a jet) and I know they have a 21' tunnel which is basically identical to the Daytona, just a little easier on the wallet. If you want to hull a few people, and the mail in a jet, the 21' tunnel is the way to go with 700-800hp.
HBjet You're right and no one needed to tell me that. The choice is over:
Hang out with a ton of friends(they have no money for boats) or just a few. Either way with 700-800 ponies under that hatch it's gonna be one hell of a ride. So no need to inforum me on the hulls themselves, I need to know about the actual jet pumps themselves so I know what to buy. Keep in mind that I'm insane and I live for an adrenalin rush. What would be the best setup for both the 21 daytona and the 22 Ultra? That's what I want to know right there.
[ June 26, 2003, 08:31 AM: Message edited by: Phat_Kat ]

hboldno7
06-26-2003, 07:34 AM
I would just buy Froggy's Boat

565edge
06-26-2003, 07:41 AM
Your going to need to pick a jet manufacture?then you will need the essentials,shoe,ride plate,loader grate,split bowl,droop,hyd diverter,Everyone has ther opinions on pumps,i run a berkely pump,impeller,bowl with a aggreser short droop,I do perfer the 21' phantom i think they are one bad ass looking boat,nothing rides like a tunnel and with 800hp im sure youll do over 90?

Phat_Kat
06-26-2003, 07:50 AM
565edge:
Your going to need to pick a jet manufacture?then you will need the essentials,shoe,ride plate,loader grate,split bowl,droop,hyd diverter,Everyone has ther opinions on pumps,i run a berkely pump,impeller,bowl with a aggreser short droop,I do perfer the 21' phantom i think they are one bad ass looking boat,nothing rides like a tunnel and with 800hp im sure youll do over 90? I might ask to talk to john west at ultra about his boat and see if maybe he can tell me what he did. I want just what he built but with less ponies and slightly different colors.

565edge
06-26-2003, 08:43 AM
If your going to buy a 22' boat i would not get it in a jet,I would go with a big block I/O package.

HBjet
06-26-2003, 09:31 AM
I know I will get flamed for this, but if you want to do it right, I would have your hull cut and pump built and set by an outside source other then the boat MFG. That's just my personal opinion. If it was me, I would buy the boat, then then take it to MPD and have Jack cut and set the intake and pump. As for what pump to run, that's up to you, but I would listen to the guys you have 21' tunnels running way over 100mph. I know the Stretch Limo's pump has a part from just about every mfg. So, I guess I wouldn't suggest a pump mfg, but a pump builder to design the best pump for your needs.
I hope this helps.
HBjet

Phat_Kat
06-26-2003, 09:33 AM
565edge:
If your going to buy a 22' boat i would not get it in a jet,I would go with a big block I/O package. maybe you haven't been to aha quinn lately or the water wheel even. Prop=BIG NO NO! Sometimes it gets to where you have to go 200FT with about 1 1/2 feet of water hammered. I haven't been able to take my boat out for a month due to low water and this is normal! I'm sick of it. I need a jet until I get big on lakes and have enough money to buy an F-29 or something. With 1100 ponies the 22 will do an honest 100. I'm expecting 85 or so and that's shut me up for a while.

Phat_Kat
06-26-2003, 09:38 AM
HBjet:
I know I will get flamed for this, but if you want to do it right, I would have your hull cut and pump built and set by an outside source other then the boat MFG. That's just my personal opinion. If it was me, I would buy the boat, then then take it to MPD and have Jack cut and set the intake and pump. As for what pump to run, that's up to you, but I would listen to the guys you have 21' tunnels running way over 100mph. I know the Stretch Limo's pump has a part from just about every mfg. So, I guess I wouldn't suggest a pump mfg, but a pump builder to design the best pump for your needs.
I hope this helps.
HBjet Thanks HB,
Hey does anyone have pictures of the closed deck 22 stealth. I'm just curious as to what it looks like?

Jake W
06-26-2003, 01:12 PM
I was going to suggest looking at the 22 closed deck.There is a write up on one and it is on the cover of the June 1999 ***boat Page26 Price is 45 Gs it runs 74 mph with a 502 witha procharger on it making 550 hp at the prop that is what is writen.And it has a Dominator jet in it.It is a nice looking jet but not as cool as a tunnel but more room.You have to give up one to get the other.Good luck with it
Jake smile_sp

HammerDown
06-26-2003, 01:41 PM
As mush as I like my 21 Daytona Jet...If I were to come across a 22'Daytona IO at the same time...I would have bought that. Mainly because the 22 offers more room with more feeboard.
[ June 26, 2003, 02:43 PM: Message edited by: HammerDown ]

Phat_Kat
06-26-2003, 02:19 PM
Jake W:
I was going to suggest looking at the 22 closed deck.There is a write up on one and it is on the cover of the June 1999 ***boat Page26 Price is 45 Gs it runs 74 mph with a 502 witha procharger on it making 550 hp at the prop that is what is writen.And it has a Dominator jet in it.It is a nice looking jet but not as cool as a tunnel but more room.You have to give up one to get the other.Good luck with it
Jake smile_sp do you have a scanner? I don't have that issue. Maybe you could take a picture without the flash from your digital camera. Anything! I really wanna see.

hboldno7
06-26-2003, 02:21 PM
Phat_Kat:
Jake W:
Jake smile_sp do you have a scanner? I don't have that issue. Maybe you could take a picture without the flash from your digital camera. Anything! I really wanna see. maybe you could find it in the archives in the members section of this site

Phat_Kat
06-26-2003, 02:23 PM
hboldno7:
Phat_Kat:
Jake W:
Jake smile_sp do you have a scanner? I don't have that issue. Maybe you could take a picture without the flash from your digital camera. Anything! I really wanna see. maybe you could find it in the archives in the members section of this site thanks

Phat_Kat
06-26-2003, 02:26 PM
hboldno7:
Phat_Kat:
Jake W:
Jake smile_sp do you have a scanner? I don't have that issue. Maybe you could take a picture without the flash from your digital camera. Anything! I really wanna see. maybe you could find it in the archives in the members section of this site I don't wanna pay. could you like copy, paste that for me?
[ June 26, 2003, 03:27 PM: Message edited by: Phat_Kat ]

RandyH
06-26-2003, 02:47 PM
Take HBjet's advise. Have John take the boat to Jack, set the intake, do his magic to the bowl and impeller, then take it back to Ultra to Rig it. Berk or Dominator. You wont be sorry.
Randy

fat rat
06-26-2003, 03:17 PM
Phat-Kat, could I interest you in a slightly used 21" Daytona.........turn key.

565edge
06-26-2003, 03:45 PM
fat rat:
Phat-Kat, could I interest you in a slightly used 21" Daytona.........turn key. What year and how much?Any pics?Phat-Kat i would perfer you to get a tunnel,If you want a boat for more people get the 21 mirage deck boat,Call john with j&m or tom papp,with 800hp you could get one to move pretty well,my buddy just got one and with 500hp(502 with aluminm heads,hyd roller and 9.5:1 comp)and with 5 big guys and three coolers it cruised at 60mph at 5,000 rpm with a aggreser pump,they ride sweet.

hboldno7
06-26-2003, 03:51 PM
Phat_Kat:
hboldno7:
Phat_Kat:
Jake W:
Jake smile_sp do you have a scanner? I don't have that issue. Maybe you could take a picture without the flash from your digital camera. Anything! I really wanna see. maybe you could find it in the archives in the members section of this site I don't wanna pay. could you like copy, paste that for me? Sorry Phat Kat, I guess my membership expired :confused:

Jake W
06-26-2003, 03:55 PM
Sorry bro I do not have a scanner.if you call Ultra they will send you some print on it and color brochure.
Jake smile_sp

MikeF
06-26-2003, 05:49 PM
HBjet:
I hope this helps.
HBjet A "FIRM" second to do it this way. You know it will be done right and you will have more fun :D .

Phat_Kat
06-26-2003, 05:55 PM
565edge:
fat rat:
Phat-Kat, could I interest you in a slightly used 21" Daytona.........turn key. What year and how much?Any pics?Phat-Kat i would perfer you to get a tunnel,If you want a boat for more people get the 21 mirage deck boat,Call john with j&m or tom papp,with 800hp you could get one to move pretty well,my buddy just got one and with 500hp(502 with aluminm heads,hyd roller and 9.5:1 comp)and with 5 big guys and three coolers it cruised at 60mph at 5,000 rpm with a aggreser pump,they ride sweet. I'm gonna call around bro.

Phat_Kat
06-26-2003, 06:01 PM
565edge:
fat rat:
Phat-Kat, could I interest you in a slightly used 21" Daytona.........turn key. What year and how much?Any pics?Phat-Kat i would perfer you to get a tunnel,If you want a boat for more people get the 21 mirage deck boat,Call john with j&m or tom papp,with 800hp you could get one to move pretty well,my buddy just got one and with 500hp(502 with aluminm heads,hyd roller and 9.5:1 comp)and with 5 big guys and three coolers it cruised at 60mph at 5,000 rpm with a aggreser pump,they ride sweet. Double post I know but, does anyone know of any bowrider cats? I just talked to my cousin who is going to be the main bringer of passengers and boy is he ever excited. Bowrider is a must. Does eliminator do a bowrider daytona 21? Just a thought. Anyone have pics? I may just say screw you to my cousin and tell him to take my uncles bahner(he doesn't like it at all). So maybe that'll be an option. Hate to break it to you guys but that ultra is really startin to grow on me. I wish they made a 22 cat, then I'd know exactly where to go. Once again, I'm calling around and I will see who I like.

572Daytona
06-26-2003, 06:10 PM
Phat_Kat:
565edge:
fat rat:
Phat-Kat, could I interest you in a slightly used 21" Daytona.........turn key. What year and how much?Any pics?Phat-Kat i would perfer you to get a tunnel,If you want a boat for more people get the 21 mirage deck boat,Call john with j&m or tom papp,with 800hp you could get one to move pretty well,my buddy just got one and with 500hp(502 with aluminm heads,hyd roller and 9.5:1 comp)and with 5 big guys and three coolers it cruised at 60mph at 5,000 rpm with a aggreser pump,they ride sweet. Double post I know but, does anyone know of any bowrider cats? I just talked to my cousin who is going to be the main bringer of passengers and boy is he ever excited. Bowrider is a must. Does eliminator do a bowrider daytona 21? Just a thought. Anyone have pics? I may just say screw you to my cousin and tell him to take my uncles bahner(he doesn't like it at all). So maybe that'll be an option. Hate to break it to you guys but that ultra is really startin to grow on me. I wish they made a 22 cat, then I'd know exactly where to go. Once again, I'm calling around and I will see who I like. I don't think eliminator does a BR, but the Mirage Fundeck is essentially an open bow version of the Daytona 21:
http://www.jmmarine.com/mirage.htm

Phat_Kat
06-26-2003, 06:19 PM
572Daytona:
Phat_Kat:
565edge:
fat rat:
Phat-Kat, could I interest you in a slightly used 21" Daytona.........turn key. What year and how much?Any pics?Phat-Kat i would perfer you to get a tunnel,If you want a boat for more people get the 21 mirage deck boat,Call john with j&m or tom papp,with 800hp you could get one to move pretty well,my buddy just got one and with 500hp(502 with aluminm heads,hyd roller and 9.5:1 comp)and with 5 big guys and three coolers it cruised at 60mph at 5,000 rpm with a aggreser pump,they ride sweet. Double post I know but, does anyone know of any bowrider cats? I just talked to my cousin who is going to be the main bringer of passengers and boy is he ever excited. Bowrider is a must. Does eliminator do a bowrider daytona 21? Just a thought. Anyone have pics? I may just say screw you to my cousin and tell him to take my uncles bahner(he doesn't like it at all). So maybe that'll be an option. Hate to break it to you guys but that ultra is really startin to grow on me. I wish they made a 22 cat, then I'd know exactly where to go. Once again, I'm calling around and I will see who I like. I don't think eliminator does a BR, but the Mirage Fundeck is essentially an open bow version of the Daytona 21:
http://www.jmmarine.com/mirage.htm Does it look like a cat or a mini party cat. What I mean by that is does it look like ultras deck. That thing just bothers me. For those of you that own one, rock on! It's just not my thing. If it looks like a real cat then yahoo. Give me a link ASAP!

Phat_Kat
06-26-2003, 06:21 PM
eeeeeeeeewwwwwwwwwwwwwww!!!!
didn't see the link. That's what I'm avoiding.

572Daytona
06-26-2003, 06:29 PM
They aren't my favorite as far as styling goes either. Unfortunately I don't think the 21' Daytona hull has enough depth in the bow to do a proper sit in type bowrider. I'm still hoping the dual jet drive setup will allow jets to be feasible in larger cats.

Phat_Kat
06-26-2003, 06:42 PM
572Daytona:
They aren't my favorite as far as styling goes either. Unfortunately I don't think the 21' Daytona hull has enough depth in the bow to do a proper sit in type bowrider. I'm still hoping the dual jet drive setup will allow jets to be feasible in larger cats. There's gotta be someone with enough money to just go out and do it.

sandblasted
06-26-2003, 07:52 PM
Ok, I own an Ultra and cannot believe I would suggest another brand as I really like my Ultra but take a look at the Placecraft 22' deck boat with a jet...Very nice boat with more freeboard than the Ultra deck boat and they will put whatever engine package you want in it. They go fast and will hold 10 people easy...Worth looking at anyway..
http://www.placecraftboats.com/showroom.html

Phat_Kat
06-26-2003, 08:09 PM
sandblasted:
Ok, I own an Ultra and cannot believe I would suggest another brand as I really like my Ultra but take a look at the Placecraft 22' deck boat with a jet...Very nice boat with more freeboard than the Ultra deck boat and they will put whatever engine package you want in it. They go fast and will hold 10 people easy...Worth looking at anyway..
http://www.placecraftboats.com/showroom.html Hey man how does it handle the wakeboard boat wakes? Your boat that is. fuel effeciency? On a scale of 1 to 10 what would you give it?
[ June 26, 2003, 09:10 PM: Message edited by: Phat_Kat ]

sandblasted
06-26-2003, 09:17 PM
Phat_Kat:
sandblasted:
http://www.placecraftboats.com/showroom.html Hey man how does it handle the wakeboard boat wakes? Your boat that is. fuel effeciency? On a scale of 1 to 10 what would you give it? I have a Ultra 21XT, similar to the 21LX. same hull, different top deck. It handles the wakes and rough water great. I really like the ride, I'd give it an 8 on the 1-10 scale for ride...
Fuel efficiency? it's a jet! jets and fuel efficiency do not have anything in common :D
My boat will make it from Needles Park marina to the sandbar and back with a couple gallons left to spare..I'm usually on the rpms at about 4200-4500 all the way. that eats up gas quick...on the 1-10 scale I'd give it a 2...

RandyH
06-26-2003, 09:17 PM
“The resulting package [502 Chevrolet with an Intercooled M-3 ProCharger in 22’ Stealth] was one of the hardest-accelerating boats in the history of our tests. It shot from a rolling idle to a 60 mile-an-hour sprint in 9.89 seconds - the quickest of all 17 boats we tested at Havasu. It was also the first to 30, 40 and 50 miles an hour, and was the fastest jet-driven, V-bottom jet boat in the history of our annual evaluations, at 79.8 mph”.
– Hot Boat, February 1999, p. 77
With the right shoe, loader and blueprinted pump who knows what you could end up with.
Good luck
RandyH :D

396_WAYS_TO_SPIT
06-26-2003, 11:19 PM
I will have to agree with all of these guys and say go with the ultra wink They have some of the nicest jets for new bats(IMO). Plus you get a hull thats laid up by the "Jet hull guru" Tom Papp wink . I have seen his hulls and they are proven fast boats. Hell what am I saying...... my dreamboat is a 21ft deckboat from ultra with none the other "A Jet" :D :D :D
396....But those are jus my lil ol' 2 pennies

HBjet
06-26-2003, 11:32 PM
I don't think Tom Papp lays up the tunnel boats for Ultra. But John (JM) will be able to answer that!
HBjet

396_WAYS_TO_SPIT
06-26-2003, 11:46 PM
HBjet:
I don't think Tom Papp lays up the tunnel boats for Ultra. But John (JM) will be able to answer that!
HBjet Maybe it was just the one I seen. You might be right on this one randy wink John can correctly answer this one for you wink Where are you john, this is your time to step in wink

Jake W
06-27-2003, 05:24 AM
Doesnt the storie go Ultra does some gellcoat work for Tom Papp?
Jake :confused:

Phat_Kat
06-27-2003, 07:54 AM
anyone know what time ultra opens? John West gave me the # to call but I forgot to ask the time frown

Lightning
06-27-2003, 09:16 AM
hboldno7:
I would just buy Froggy's Boat That's what I was thiking. Here's the link (http://www.tridentcustomboats.com/21xs)

572Daytona
06-27-2003, 11:46 AM
Froggy's boat isn't a bow rider, is it?

Dave C
06-27-2003, 12:10 PM
I had a 21 Daytona with a Jet with an 800 HP N/A. I really liked it.
Great boat, handled rought water great and ran excellent. Interior is kinda small though. It accelerated pretty good. If you are looking for performance that is the way to go.
If you can get the jet set-up correctly and with 800 HP, you will get over 90 mph.
If you really want to move I definately recommend a blower motor. Something big like an 871-1071. Don't use a small blower with a jet. Use an intercooler. Those jets love to suck up HP.
Incidently, I sold my 21 to get a 22. The 22 has alot more interior room and the boat is bigger and handles much bigger rough water.

MAXIMUS
06-27-2003, 01:45 PM
572 once again you are chit out of luck!!! lol You will never run over 90 with 600 ponies!!! :rolleyes: Guess we will just have to skip 90 & go 100+! :D

MAXIMUS
06-27-2003, 01:47 PM
Dave C what was top speed on your set up?? What size motor?? Who did pump work?? :confused:

Phat_Kat
06-27-2003, 02:03 PM
well all my questions were answered by john west at ultra. Thanks john if you ever get to this thread. Oh yeah guys check out my part time towing toy in the tow rigs forum :D

572Daytona
06-27-2003, 02:06 PM
You're right Maximus...I think I'm needing about 200 more HP to get over that hump from 89.2 to 90. I'm kicking myself now that I didn't put my motor on the dyno before I had it shipped from San Diego, I was too cheap to spend the money and now I'll never get that 200HP. Sigh.
As for 100mph, I was thinking of taking some tips from the whacker guys. Once the motor is running, the battery is just extra weight, so if I throw that over the side, along with all of the seats except one, take out the gas tanks and run from a portable 5 gallon tank, strip out the stereo, life jackets, anchor, paddle, etc. Add a live well, some rod holders and some crank baits I should be able to make triple digits for sure :)

MAXIMUS
06-27-2003, 02:33 PM
572Daytona:
You're right Maximus...I think I'm needing about 200 more HP to get over that hump from 89.2 to 90. I'm kicking myself now that I didn't put my motor on the dyno before I had it shipped from San Diego, I was too cheap to spend the money and now I'll never get that 200HP. Sigh.
As for 100mph, I was thinking of taking some tips from the whacker guys. Once the motor is running, the battery is just extra weight, so if I throw that over the side, along with all of the seats except one, take out the gas tanks and run from a portable 5 gallon tank, strip out the stereo, life jackets, anchor, paddle, etc. Add a live well, some rod holders and some crank baits I should be able to make triple digits for sure :) smile_sp smile_sp smile_sp :D

Dave C
06-27-2003, 03:40 PM
Never got official a GPS top-speed so I don't know. (90+?)
It was a 540 CID, custom dealio. 13:1's etc. (hey its only money, you can make more!?!)
Rigged by GT Boats in Norcal. (Paul does excellent work) Had a 6 inch setback, etc.

MAXIMUS
06-27-2003, 03:41 PM
Sounds nice!

Johnwithjm
06-27-2003, 05:21 PM
396_WAYS_TO_SPIT:
HBjet:
HBjet Maybe it was just the one I seen. You might be right on this one randy wink John can correctly answer this one for you wink Where are you john, this is your time to step in wink
396 I own the molds to the deck boat. John West and I have opened a factory dealership in Norco. Ultra does all the layup and the rigging on deckboats. Sorry it took me so long to respond.

Phat_Kat
06-28-2003, 05:50 AM
Johnwithjm:
396_WAYS_TO_SPIT:
HBjet:
396 I own the molds to the deck boat. John West and I have opened a factory dealership in Norco. Ultra does all the layup and the rigging on deckboats. Sorry it took me so long to respond. Are you getting the new 22 molds as well? When they're done?
[ June 28, 2003, 06:50 AM: Message edited by: Phat_Kat ]