PDA

View Full Version : Sean's 21' Schiada Update

SGettmann
11-15-2007, 10:48 PM
I've been wanting to get an update out for a while on the status of my 21' Schiada project that I've been working on. Every so often I get an email from friends in the Hot Boat community asking if I have her up and running yet. After 2 years of trailer racing, I am getting close. For those on the ski racing circuit, this boat is Pete Mitchel's former 21' Schiada, NWSRA#34. See Figure 1,2 and 3:
http://s227.photobucket.com/albums/dd201/SGettmann/?action=view&current=FlatBustedIII.jpg
http://s227.photobucket.com/albums/dd201/SGettmann/th_BoatMotor_34_2.jpg
http://s227.photobucket.com/albums/dd201/SGettmann/th_BoatMotor_34.jpg
When I was living in Idaho, I pulled a rookie manuever of not getting all the water out of the block before getting a -20 degree winter. Found freeze plugs in the bilge and checked the oil - found water in her. I was crushed, as I realized I was way over my head in building up a motor like this on my own (skill wise, not even to mention financially). Fortunately my dad came to my aid, making a father/son bonding experience out of the engine building task. Parents offered me the barn for storage, along with a few Saturdays every month of there time. I moved back to California to take advantage of this and been going through engine shop 101 with my dad for the past year and a half. Pay cash for the parts and machining, and put her together with our 'how to blow up a chevy' tech book and other resources. We're currently building up the new power plant with a Dart Big M block. It's been educational, particularly running the valves with the gesle system. I've got an interesting situation where the push rods are rubbing on the heads, so I'll need to pull the head and do some grinding to have the clearance. The old push rods show wear there. Would rather take my time and do it right. Here's a picture of what's on the stand now:
http://s227.photobucket.com/albums/dd201/SGettmann/th_Motor_347_1.jpg
I'll post more pictures as I get the turbos hung. I just picked them up from getting rebuilt by Caron Brummet. Have all new water jackets that are all polished. I plan to have her dynoed and broken in before dropping her in the hull.
Plan is to have her ready for early ski racing season. Plan on racing her under NWSRA#347. Pete's number is 34, and my parents raced under #47, so I thought this was appropriate. Need to change the name of the boat as well, since Flat Busted is Pete's - Wouldn't mind any help with ideas for names.
More photos to follow.....Sean

Schiada Time
11-16-2007, 12:09 AM
Boat is looking great. Take your time my friend. No sense is rushing such a nice piece. Long Live Schiadas.

HighVoltage 329
11-16-2007, 05:51 AM
Very nice boat and story with your parents helping out.

SGettmann
11-16-2007, 06:37 AM
Thanks Travis - I've been following the progress of your 22' for some time. A neighbor down the way from my parent's place on Nacimiento has a red 22' Schiada, similar to yours that has been up for sale for some time. I thought about it for another project, but figured I should get through my 21' first. We've also have my parent's 20' Schiada that were going through as well and building a new engine for. We're using another Dart Big M 509 block, which will be set up naturally aspirated with a tunnel ram. My dad's 20's was laid up really light - 5 guys picked it up out of the mold from my understanding. It runs really good on limited horse power. I expect that my dad will out accellerate and run as fast as me with 600 hp or so that I'll be running with the 1,000 or so that the Gentry system will provide.
I'm digging this photo adding ability - how do I get them to come out larger? Here's a picture from a few months ago in the barn. I'll need to get a photo of the two motors side by side. Not exactly the checkered clean room of most high end engine shops, but we keep it clean as we can.
http://s227.photobucket.com/albums/dd201/SGettmann/th_47_34_Hull_2.jpg

Widetrack
11-16-2007, 06:51 AM
Great boat you will have a blast with it!!!:) You said you have some rubbing on the push rods? If you have not already check pushrod rocker geometry that has caused me problems before! Push rods to long or to short!

Schiada Time
11-16-2007, 08:05 AM
Sgettman. Keep me posted on the 22 For Sale. I always know people looking for clean Schiada's.
Travis

Hallett
11-16-2007, 10:47 AM
Hello Sean great to see your boat is coming along nicely.
if you want to make pic's larger double click on the pic
before you copy the address that will make them larger.
thanks for posting your progress. take care Bob

SGettmann
11-16-2007, 11:28 AM
Hi Travis, the 22' that's for sale would need quite a bit of work, but a great project cruiser for the winter for someone that had the money and desire to do it. I'll get more information over break and get it posted. With knowing how to post photos, this is a whole new world for me.
Thanks Bob!! - I'll be in Havasu over Christmas week. I don't think I'll have my 21' ready to go by then, but I'll check in and see if you want to get together.
Sean
Sgettman. Keep me posted on the 22 For Sale. I always know people looking for clean Schiada's.
Travis

SGettmann
11-16-2007, 11:39 AM
Trying out Hallet's directions, seeing if I can get this right on the picture size:
http://i227.photobucket.com/albums/dd201/SGettmann/FlatBustedIII.jpg?t=1195241762
Thanks Hallet - looks like I'm cooking in grease!!

SGettmann
11-16-2007, 11:42 AM
Hey Widetrack - yes, I'm learning the same thing, especially when you go from a bowtie to a Dart block. The lifters require different clearances, which requires different push rod lengths. Used the adjustable push rods to measure what I needed, then ordered new push rods at the appropriate length.
Great boat you will have a blast with it!!!:) You said you have some rubbing on the push rods? If you have not already check pushrod rocker geometry that has caused me problems before! Push rods to long or to short!

obnoxious001
11-16-2007, 12:13 PM
I expect that my dad will out accellerate and run as fast as me with 600 hp or so that I'll be running with the 1,000 or so that the Gentry system will provide.
I expect that you are in for a pleasant surprise!
I owned a 20' Schiada with a Gentry turbo setup. I sold the boat without the engine, but had a chance to drive it later with an NA engine, about 600 HP,, still a great boat, no comparison at all.

SKIA36
12-09-2007, 09:44 AM
That boat was originally built by Steve Stenton for James Muir at Arrowhead. Its a great boat. The wife and I have a lot of great ski race memories behind that boat!