PDA

View Full Version : Desert Storm 2008, looks like Saturday is a speed shootout like LOTO

Magic34
11-16-2007, 12:16 AM
Poker Run is on Friday, Speed shootout on Saturday.
Found this on OSO
http://www.***boat.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=43224&stc=1&d=1195200983

C-2
11-16-2007, 12:25 AM
Don't forget the POPRA offshore race!
3 days of fun :)

shueman
11-16-2007, 05:29 AM
Great Event...can't wait...:)

riverracerx
11-16-2007, 08:52 AM
M34, you gonna enter the speed shoot out? I will help you row!

Phat Matt
11-16-2007, 08:59 AM
Sweet! Looks like I'll be taking a couple of extra days off work. :D

dirty old man
11-16-2007, 08:59 AM
Don't hold your breath

jackpunx
11-16-2007, 09:02 AM
where do you think they will do the shoot out?:)

phebus
11-16-2007, 09:11 AM
where do you think they will do the shoot out?:)
The O.K. Corral. :D

C-2
11-16-2007, 09:13 AM
Don't hold your breath
Meaning?

dirty old man
11-16-2007, 09:33 AM
Meaning; I don't see all the regulatory authorities (prox 7) allowing a race/speed trials like LOTO at this venue. If its already a done deal, congratulations. I would really love to see this come off and it would be spectacular to see. I've seen LOTO and its really a worthwhile event and can raise a lot of money for charities or whatever

Phat Matt
11-16-2007, 09:38 AM
Meaning; I don't see all the regulatory authorities (prox 7) allowing a race/speed trials like LOTO at this venue. If its already a done deal, congratulations. I would really love to see this come off and it would be spectacular to see. I've seen LOTO and its really a worthwhile event and can raise a lot of money for charities or whatever
I would actually think the opposite. The speed trials can be more controlled on a closed course. I would also think the drivers would save their boats for the trials and not run them so hard on Friday for the poker run.

AZJD
11-16-2007, 09:42 AM
I would actually think the opposite. The speed trials can be more controlled on a closed course. I would also think the drivers would save their boats for the trials and not run them so hard on Friday for the poker run.
I agree. Head on through the bend near copper canyon with closing speeds up to and above 300mph is crazy.

C-2
11-16-2007, 09:44 AM
Well, it's a done deal, complete with the organizers of the LOTO shootout onboard as consultants. Will be staged in Thompson Bay, along with the POPRA race, and possibly an OSS race too.
No, it hasn't been easy to pull off, but please keep in mind this is the 10th year for the poker run with a flawless safety record. By doing it in this format, we believe it will make for a safer event.
Thursday evening - Street Party
Friday Morning - Poker Run
Friday Evening - Card Turn-in Party
Saturday Morning - Shootout
Saturday late morning/early afternoon - POPRA Race
I'm still shaking my head at the fact the offshore races are coming to....Havasu. That, in itself, is quite the coup de 'tat. :)

C-2
11-16-2007, 09:46 AM
You're a smart cholo. :)

Phat Matt
11-16-2007, 09:46 AM
Well, it's a done deal, complete with the organizers of the LOTO shootout onboard as consultants. Will be staged in Thompson Bay, along with the POPRA race, and possibly an OSS race too.
No, it hasn't been easy to pull off, but please keep in mind this is the 10th year for the poker run with a flawless safety record. By doing it in this format, we believe it will make for a safer event.
I'm still shaking my head at the fact the offshore races are coming to....Havasu. That, in itself, is quite the coup de 'tat. :)
Good job. This is going to be a great event and I think it's great for Havasu.

Phat Matt
11-16-2007, 09:47 AM
You're a smart cholo. :)
It's because I lean. :)

Havasu Hangin'
11-16-2007, 09:47 AM
I agree. Head on through the bend near copper canyon with closing speeds up to and above 300mph is crazy.
300MPH? lol...Top Gun at LOTO is a little over 200MPH.
LOTO is actually a pretty short course...so I doubt the Havasu course will need to run down by Copper Canyon.

dirty old man
11-16-2007, 10:31 AM
FABULOUS. Should fill every hotel/motel within a 100 miles. What is a 100 miles from Havasu anyway. This is really exciting news

ClownRoyal
11-16-2007, 10:33 AM
Poker Run is on Friday, Speed shootout on Saturday.
Found this on OSO
http://www.***boat.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=43224&stc=1&d=1195200983
:jawdrop: :jawdrop: :jawdrop:
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/CdAImage07102007HB.jpg

bohica
11-16-2007, 11:21 AM
Congrats., sound like a great event. Hats off to thw whole Desert Storm crew. You guys sure have come a long way from the early days of the AZ Hot Boaters Assoc.

C-2
11-16-2007, 11:25 AM
Congrats., sound like a great event. Hats off to thw whole Desert Storm crew. You guys sure have come a long way from the early days of the AZ Hot Boaters Assoc.
And I remember you being there when SoCal ***boats was around too! Thanks for the kind words. :)

Phat Matt
11-16-2007, 11:38 AM
:D Now Mr. Phat Matt,
You mean to say that all these big, megadollar, high rollin, big baller, bad to bone, big engined boats would need to save thier stuff for a Saturday Shootout ?
You sayin they would have to hold back on Friday's Poker Run and short change themselves the honor of being # 1 dog for the Poker Run ?
I can't believe I'm reading that they would hold back:eek: :eek: you mean they would be worried that thier engines or drives would come apart ?, say it's not so !!
Man, and I thought they all had the best of the best..............:D :D
I guess those guys will just bring their pit crew and spare drives and motors. :D

mbrown2
11-16-2007, 12:20 PM
300MPH? lol...Top Gun at LOTO is a little over 200MPH.
LOTO is actually a pretty short course...so I doubt the Havasu course will need to run down by Copper Canyon.
I think he meant closing speed...ie: one group coming back at around 150...and one group going down at 150...
But what do I know...I work with computers not calculators...and stayed at a Holiday for last Poker Run..

C-2
11-16-2007, 01:39 PM
:jawdrop: :jawdrop: :jawdrop:
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/CdAImage07102007HB.jpg
Those three boats get around :D

LHC30Victory
11-16-2007, 03:40 PM
What's a "Street Party?" :idea:

AZKC
11-16-2007, 04:48 PM
It's because I lean. :)
Whatever Kilo;) Elbows Up:D

riverroyal
11-16-2007, 04:53 PM
I cant wait

Magic34
11-16-2007, 08:17 PM
There is a great part on the lake for a big speed run between Steamboat and Black Meadow. No turning would be needed however, the only way to observe it from any distance would be from boat.
That stretch usually has perfect water for running hard.

BigDogIvan
11-16-2007, 08:23 PM
There is a great part on the lake for a big speed run between Steamboat and Black Meadow. No turning would be needed however, the only way to observe it from any distance would be from boat.
That stretch usually has perfect water for running hard.
I know the spot well. Thats were I like to open it up and let our boat run. :D LMAO

Throttle
11-16-2007, 09:58 PM
can't wait to see this...
:D :D :D

Washed Ashore
11-16-2007, 10:13 PM
C-2.....Craig what the hells going on?I hope everything is good.Tell mel and the little one,Tina and I said HI !!!This is going to be the best event on the planet,A combo of the desert and Lotto.I hope to have my boat back together by then:rolleyes: This event keeps getting better and you guys continue to raise the bar,AWSOME JOB!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!Hope to see you soon.
Jeff,Tina,RJ,CJ

C-2
11-16-2007, 11:35 PM
I hope to have my boat back together by then:rolleyes:
That makes two of us - but I'd much rather ride in yours!
I think the last time you were here we had both boats working - your Sanger and the little Hallett.
I see you've developed your own little posse and cult following....what, you trying to knock this guy off the crown:
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/thumbs/alex.jpg
lol,
You need to get crack a lackin' on your boat - it would look great at Ted's street party on Thursday. Thanks for the kind words - it only took 10 years of hard work by a very dedicated group of outstanding people. :)

C-2
11-16-2007, 11:39 PM
What's a "Street Party?" :idea:
I've filed a motion with the executive board and parliamentary office to rename the shindig "Ted's Street Party."
How does that grab you?:D :) :D

jdnichols
11-17-2007, 12:05 AM
Guys, thanks for all the good words, things are still in the works, the Shootout looks good with our initial work with the authorities, just not sure how the POPRA race will come off. POPRA is committed and we're committed, but approval is still a little ways off. That's why it says "TBA"
We would like to show how the whole community is behind it and we feel Saturday would be the best day to run it for everyone. But not sure the authorities will go for it. Kevin Cooper is working with the Coast Guard on POPRA's end and we on our end. Time will tell!
Hopefully as we float this trial balloon :) We get some steam behind it!!!
Jim

jackpunx
11-17-2007, 06:52 AM
Do you think you could talk them into letting me go first?

shueman
11-17-2007, 07:00 AM
I've filed a motion with the executive board and parliamentary office to rename the shindig "Ted's Street Party."
How does that grab you?:D :) :D
I like it...:D ;)

LHC30Victory
11-17-2007, 02:31 PM
Gee thanks Craig, but I'd prefer to leave your name on it in case it gets screwed up :jawdrop: :D

Magic34
11-17-2007, 09:23 PM
Gee thanks Craig, but I'd prefer to leave your name on it in case it gets screwed up :jawdrop: :D
That's what I do with the RRX event. :D If is sucks, Chris's name is all over it, not mine. :D :D

LHC30Victory
11-18-2007, 03:19 PM
That's what I do with the RRX event. :D If is sucks, Chris's name is all over it, not mine. :D :D
Great minds think alike, now when are we taking your limo out in the big blue???

Instigators
12-13-2007, 09:29 AM
Does Jim or Craig or anyone else have any updated info yet ? :confused: Shoot out on for sure ? :confused: How bout POPRA or OSS ? :confused: Maybe Rexone can make this a sticky to keep the rest of the country up to date too. :idea:

Fast Freddy
12-13-2007, 05:46 PM
if i want to just do the shootout on saturday and not do the poker run on friday can i do that and if so how much does it cost and what kind of safety gear do they require? also do they tech the boats and if so what is needed to pass tech? i assume there will be different classes for the shootout? how many passes will we get? i assume we race solo from a dead stop to 1 mile and they clock your speed at the finish line with a radar gun? i have so many questions about this shootout that if somebody could give me the phone # to the people in charge i would like to call them......

DEMOMAN
12-13-2007, 06:43 PM
Maybe there will be a "bimini's up":D class

slowinhavasu
12-13-2007, 06:49 PM
Nice job on the flyer Mike....lol:D

ClownRoyal
12-13-2007, 06:59 PM
Nice job on the flyer Mike....lol:D
Hey...my event (miniscule in comparison) was first for those boats. But those 3 boats have to be the fastest boats around in the WEST. :D