PDA

View Full Version : Have gas prices...

ratso
11-16-2007, 11:16 AM
...made an impact on your life, your business, the way you live, what you drive, outings at the lake?
I am in the boat business, and although I haven't really noticed a "huge" impact yet from gas prices or the economy... it's gotta be coming.:idea:

McIntyrelocal
11-16-2007, 11:18 AM
i personnaly have not been effected but some around me have

Her454
11-16-2007, 11:19 AM
Not so much now that I am not commuting 4 hours a day but it sure did the last time they jumped sky high. :eek:
A 400.00 a month increase.

ratso
11-16-2007, 11:19 AM
i personnaly have not been effected but some around me have
I look around, I read, and things just seem to keep spiraling out of control...

Miss Perfect
11-16-2007, 11:22 AM
A couple of years ago I moved so that I was just a mile or so from my work. I also traded my gas guzzler in on a honda. I did not make those decisions based on the price of gas, but now I am glad that I did make those changes so that it will not affect me.

RitcheyRch
11-16-2007, 11:22 AM
Only affecting my wallet a tad more each week. Thankfully only commute 36 miles each way compared to the 60 miles each way made 6 months ago.

McIntyrelocal
11-16-2007, 11:25 AM
our fuel bill is thousands each month and i just include the difference in our over head when costing projects so its a tax writeoff through our company so i guess im fortunate.

ULTRA26 # 1
11-16-2007, 11:26 AM
A couple of years ago I moved so that I was just a mile or so from my work. I also traded my gas guzzler in on a honda. I did not make those decisions based on the price of gas, but now I am glad that I did make those changes so that it will not affect me.
I did the same thing with the Honda a year ago, Ir was a good move.
IMO, if the price of oil holds, we are looking at $4.00 for regular, very soon. This will have an impact on many.

Cole Trickle
11-16-2007, 11:28 AM
I did the same thing with the Honda a year ago, Ir was a good move.
IMO, if the price of oil holds, we are looking at $4.00 for regular, very soon. This will have an impact on many.
I am gonna unplug 4 of my spark plug wires pretty soon!!!:mad: :D

OCMerrill
11-16-2007, 11:29 AM
Diesel close to $4.00
So this means the difference between $3.00 diesel to $4.00 diesel is about an extra $500 a month to my business.
Big deal?
I don't know but it went from my pocket to someone else's.

OCMerrill
11-16-2007, 11:30 AM
Double Post

ULTRA26 # 1
11-16-2007, 11:32 AM
I am gonna unplug 4 of my spark plug wires pretty soon!!!:mad: :D
:D :D
Ive been happy with the SI. It doesn't make me smile like my Cobra or my Saleen did last year, but I smile when I pull the nozzle out of the fuel fill.
That 6.0 might run a bit rough :)
Diesel close to $4.00
So this means the difference between $3.00 diesel to $4.00 diesel is about an extra $500 a month to my business.
Big deal?
I don't know but it went from my pocket to someone elses.
I would say even after the write off it's a big deal.

McIntyrelocal
11-16-2007, 11:34 AM
Thats why i like to ride my scooter as much as possible.

IMPATIENT 1
11-16-2007, 11:36 AM
...made an impact on your life, your business, the way you live, what you drive, outings at the lake?
I am in the boat business, and although I haven't really noticed a "huge" impact yet from gas prices or the economy... it's gotta be coming.:idea:
yes , gas prices have affected alot of my life, work, home, travel, boating, etc. i don't run all over the lake anymore, i just find good water, park it and commence to drinking.
GAS PRICES ARE GONNA KILL MY LIVER :D

gramps
11-16-2007, 11:49 AM
With a trip to the store being a 60 mile round trip the fuel pries sure make me not go to town very much.

Cole Trickle
11-16-2007, 12:07 PM
:D :D
Ive been happy with the SI. It doesn't make me smile like my Cobra or my Saleen did last year, but I smile when I pull the nozzle out of the fuel fill.
That 6.0 might run a bit rough :)
I would say even after the write off it's a big deal.
I figure I can power through the loss of power with the big stall;)
Car gets terrible mileage in bumper to bumper if the converter is running unlocked:( :eek:
Want to pick me up on your way to work? Split gas with ya..lol:D

Not So Fast
11-16-2007, 12:34 PM
You bet your sweet ass its affecting our life and anybody that says it isnt is not thinking this thru. Just because you have a gas card or own your own business doesnt mean it wont affect you, the trickle down is happening if you know it or not!! Have you noticed its not so cheap to eat out anymore, wht used to cost $5.00 is now $7.00, or that the average trip to the grocery store costs about 50% more that it did 2 years ago, or that the 2x4 at Home Depot went up 40% from the last little project you did, 1 quart of Valvoline Motor Oil at Walmart is now $2.76:jawdrop: Come on guys, its affecting ALL OF US BIGTIME one way the other in every facet (sp) of life and it is going to get worse, much worse. Voice of doom, yep and I dont like being manipulated. NSF

Lightning
11-16-2007, 12:42 PM
I agree with NSF - it affects you whether you realize it or not. As far as purely through the pump, it's not that big a deal, buy my roundtrip commute is 36 miles. We live in the city, not out in the sticks like lots of our friends. We look at it this way.... it costs less, generally speaking, to buy a house in the outskirts of town (El Cajon, Alpine, Escondido, La Mesa); however all the other costs are going to be higher for us. Commuting to San Diego for work, spending more on heating and a/c, etc... We both have our businesses realatively close to home, wife is only 5 minutes from the house.
As far as boating is concerned, we definately have cut back on the amount of cruising around that we do when we are out.

YeLLowBoaT
11-16-2007, 12:43 PM
My hourly rate has jumped up $5 a hour, do strickly to gas, I've also had a price increase across the board. I've also noticed prices of material prices have started to go up.

McIntyrelocal
11-16-2007, 12:44 PM
yeah inflation is unstopable and it sucks.

DeltaSigBoater
11-16-2007, 12:55 PM
My Gas bills were about $80-100 total a month, now I'm spending like $60 per fill up :(

YeLLowBoaT
11-16-2007, 12:56 PM
My Gas bills were about $80-100 total a month, now I'm spending like $60 per fill up :(
your a lucky SOB... my truck has 37 gallon tank. you do the math.

River Lynchmob
11-16-2007, 01:03 PM
It affects me...even though I pass it on to the end user it is still money out of my pocket. We get to a point where you keep raising prices and people will say I can't afford you anymore and you loose a customer...that affects me.
My fuel bill a year ago was about $12,000 a month, last month was $17,000. 40% increase in a year...someone is making too much money and no one in government will do anything to question it because their pockets are getting lined.
Riddle me this Batman...how is it all the refineries are in Cal yet gas here is 20 or cents a gallon higher than it is in states where they have to truck it in? None of it makes any sense.

DeltaSigBoater
11-16-2007, 01:16 PM
your a lucky SOB... my truck has 37 gallon tank. you do the math.
I have, and I feel sorry for those of you who have to drive many miles each day for work. Thankfully right now I'm not driving that much, but it still hurts. My dad keeps telling me that I need to ditch my 11mpg V8 Jeep, and buy a gas mileage friendly car :rolleyes: I've always driven SUVs, VANs or Trucks, so I hate driving cars. Plus I cannot $wing a car to drive around town in, and a truck to tow the boat & go to the lake with.

McIntyrelocal
11-16-2007, 01:21 PM
Our fool bill is up over 20,000 a month right now and when were really buisy its almost 40,000 so i know the effects of it. i so feel sorry for the people who dont have the option of passing the buck onto someone eolse it is getting rediculous deisel is the crap left over from manufacturing gasoline i cant believe they are getting away wit it.

77charger
11-16-2007, 02:18 PM
You bet your sweet ass its affecting our life and anybody that says it isnt is not thinking this thru. Just because you have a gas card or own your own business doesnt mean it wont affect you, the trickle down is happening if you know it or not!! Have you noticed its not so cheap to eat out anymore, wht used to cost $5.00 is now $7.00, or that the average trip to the grocery store costs about 50% more that it did 2 years ago, or that the 2x4 at Home Depot went up 40% from the last little project you did, 1 quart of Valvoline Motor Oil at Walmart is now $2.76:jawdrop: Come on guys, its affecting ALL OF US BIGTIME one way the other in every facet (sp) of life and it is going to get worse, much worse. Voice of doom, yep and I dont like being manipulated. NSF
Got to agree with the trickle affect.Some with lots of money from a bus they own might be able to pay to play but when the ones who buy their products,services,etc stop or slow down cause they re paying more for everyday goods then it might sink in.
It effects me right now cause const is slow so my overtime is out which is what i use to pay for the extra fuel to go boat or get to glamis.Didnt make it to the river this past summer with my boat just a couple local trips(which is fine by me)As for glamis still going and will do so.I save any extra money i make just to go on these trips.vs spending it elsewhere or on other goods i would like to have.

Old Texan
11-16-2007, 02:44 PM
Drive half as far, Sit more in the boat than run, and pray that Hugo Chavez and his Itranian buddy drop dead.....

Jbb
11-16-2007, 02:48 PM
I have to drive a long way to work......The greedy increases in oil costs .....have forced me to eat cat food at two meals a day....That little friskies aint bad...:)

WaterJunky
11-16-2007, 03:06 PM
The interesting part of this is that I am still not seeing people change that much. I am not talking about just on this thread, I am talking about in and around me in life. I still see people from the bay area coming into Sacramento to buy houses. Then the fools are commuting to the bay area 5 days a week in their SUV's. These people are some of the first to bitch about fuel prices. If you live 60 to 120 miles one way from you office, you are an idiot. I do not belive that it is entirely other countries fault for the situation we are in. I have to put some of the blame on our shoulders also.
I am all for being able to do what you want, but I do not want to hear people bitching and blaiming others for the problems that they created. Like I said that is not what I am saying is happening here but I think we all know a few doing this type of thing.

spectras only
11-16-2007, 03:59 PM
Ive found the alternative way to save gas :) . Instead of using my car only carpooling with my wife ,[ she is only a few minutes from my work ] I've told her we have to alternate our cars and I'm not going to put gas in her car ;) :D

OutCole'd
11-16-2007, 04:05 PM
You hit the nail on the head Bobby.
Not only this, but for many retailer's, it may not be hurting me on my expense level, but what is the added cost of fuel doing to the economy in general? I know my business is down right now. EVERYONE that I talk to that is in my same business is in the same boat. Many people are down anywhere from 25% -60%. I'm sure some of this is atributed to the cost of fuel.
It's going to get worse before it gets better.:(

Jbb
11-16-2007, 04:08 PM
meow...

hotlavey
11-16-2007, 05:38 PM
The interesting part of this is that I am still not seeing people change that much. I am not talking about just on this thread, I am talking about in and around me in life. I still see people from the bay area coming into Sacramento to buy houses. Then the fools are commuting to the bay area 5 days a week in their SUV's. These people are some of the first to bitch about fuel prices. If you live 60 to 120 miles one way from you office, you are an idiot. I do not belive that it is entirely other countries fault for the situation we are in. I have to put some of the blame on our shoulders also.
I am all for being able to do what you want, but I do not want to hear people bitching and blaiming others for the problems that they created. Like I said that is not what I am saying is happening here but I think we all know a few doing this type of thing.
Of course it is not the other countries fault. Lay the blame on the extreme environmentalists and tree huggers here in the U.S. for not allowing any drilling or refineries to be built to solve the problem. We have only tapped 15% of our proven reserves(both off-shore and Alaska). And there was a huge discovery in South America(Brazil or Argentina) recently. There is plenty of oil in the ground, we are just not allowed to get to it.

XtrmWakeborder
11-16-2007, 06:31 PM
Yes it affects me. Commuting to school and work isn't too far, but then again I don't make too much. Since my pops has a truck i'm probably not going to get a silverado anymore. It has been whittled down to a colorado, and more than likely a civic or cobalt. 16mpg doesn't cut it for me anymore. Stupid gas prices.

Kindsvater Flat
11-16-2007, 06:37 PM
This is costing $300 every 12 hours of work just in fuel.
http://www.schoutenranch.com/gallery/albums/userpics/normal_DSCF3779.jpg

Not So Fast
11-16-2007, 11:06 PM
And after listening to all the reasons why I ask this
1. If we have oil in the ground right here then lets get it.
2. build more refineries.
3. go offshore and tap into the vast amounts I have read are there.
You say the enviromentalists would stop it or are stopping it, I say bull shit, this government let things get this way right, so why cant the government say we are not going to let this country go bankrupt because of tree huggers. I believe they need to do whatever it takes to tap into our own oil resources right now and worry about the consequences later. we know we need to find alternative sources but it wont happen over night, right now this day we need to find OUR oil and put it to use. Dont kid yourself , this country is facing big trouble finacially if we dont quit depending on the MFing ragheads to give us our life blood and $4 @ gal is going to make big big waves that we may not recover from. This administration has known this and done NOTHING to fix the problem, NOTHING while big oil is making obscene profits on the downfall of this great nation. Of course thats JMO for what its worth:( NSF

WestTNRiverRat
11-17-2007, 04:19 AM
It's Wal-Mart's fault.
A good friend in the industry is telling me to expect $4.50 to $5.00 a gallon here by this summer. That is $5 to $6 a gallon for you guys on the Left Coast.
Reg unleaded here is still less than $3/gal. Diesel is $3.20/gal
We're about to get bitch slapped to hell.

HammerDown
11-17-2007, 05:47 AM
Gas prices "impact" on me...not so much. I use my Vette a lot now.
Diesel fuel prices are...KILLING ME!...looking for a F150.
My area Diesel Fuel $3.80 :mad:
Regular grade gas...$3.00

ratso
11-17-2007, 05:51 AM
Gas prices "impact" on me...not so much. I use my Vette a lot now.
Diesel fuel prices are...KILLING ME!...looking for a F150.
My area Diesel Fuel $3.80 :mad:
Regular grade gas...$3.00
What is the reason Diesel is so high?:mad: Hell, I'm thinking about going all gas here at my business...

hotlavey
11-17-2007, 09:09 AM
And after listening to all the reasons why I ask this
1. If we have oil in the ground right here then lets get it.
2. build more refineries.
3. go offshore and tap into the vast amounts I have read are there.
You say the enviromentalists would stop it or are stopping it, I say bull shit, this government let things get this way right, so why cant the government say we are not going to let this country go bankrupt because of tree huggers. I believe they need to do whatever it takes to tap into our own oil resources right now and worry about the consequences later. we know we need to find alternative sources but it wont happen over night, right now this day we need to find OUR oil and put it to use. Dont kid yourself , this country is facing big trouble finacially if we dont quit depending on the MFing ragheads to give us our life blood and $4 @ gal is going to make big big waves that we may not recover from. This administration has known this and done NOTHING to fix the problem, NOTHING while big oil is making obscene profits on the downfall of this great nation. Of course thats JMO for what its worth:( NSF
Not worth much- In case you haven't noticed, the leftists(read Dems) now control both the house and senate as well as our state(Ca) and many more. The politically correct global warming crowd runs the game now and have been for some time. They will not allow drilling, either off-shore or in Alaska, no refineries, and no new nuclear power plants. Stop blaming big oil, it's the frickin government and all the taxes and restrictions. And guess what the dems want to do next? Tax big oil profits, thats what. Gee, I wonder who will end up paying that? You are right on that the government let it get this way. We need someone with balls as a leader that will fight these idiots and I'm not sure who that will be.

ULTRA26 # 1
11-17-2007, 09:20 AM
Not worth much- the leftists now control both the house and senate as well as our state(Ca) and many more. The politically correct global warming crowd runs the game now and have been for some time. They will not allow drilling, either off-shore or in Alaska, no refineries, and no new nuclear power plants. Stop blaming big oil, it's the frickin government and all the taxes and restrictions. And guess what the dems want to do next? Tax big oil profits, thats what. Gee, I wonder who will end up paying that?
Just to clarify something, Republicans controled all branches of the Federal Govt, from 2001 to 2007. Seems everyone should agree with Oil Companies making a 100 billion plus profit a year, is a good thing for all Americans.:confused:
The system is seriously broken. It's going to take more than crying "it's the Dem's fault or it's the Republican's fault" to fix it.

hotlavey
11-17-2007, 09:29 AM
Just to clarify something, Republicans controled all branches of the Federal Govt, from 2001 to 2007. Seems everyone should agree with Oil Companies making a 100 billion plus profit a year, is a good thing for all Americans.
:confused:
I agree, the Republicans were horrible during that period, and I think that alot of the crap they pulled was due to Bush's failure to do anything to control them. As I stated before, we need someone with some balls, any suggestions? Our fuel prices are still less then the prices in Europe, I guess that is something.
As for profit, as a former business owner I found profit to be a good thing and I did everything I could to maximize it.

HammerDown
11-17-2007, 09:44 AM
What is the reason Diesel is so high?:mad: Hell, I'm thinking about going all gas here at my business...
What ever the reasons other than (greed) is BS...Diesel fuel should be less than regular grade Gas, like it was years ago. NOT higher than Premium grade gas!:mad:

ULTRA26 # 1
11-17-2007, 09:50 AM
I agree, the Republicans were horrible during that period, and I think that alot of the crap they pulled was due to Bush's ineptitude. As I stated before, we need someone with some balls, any suggestions? Our fuel prices are still less then the prices in Europe, I guess that is something.
As for profit, as a former business owner I found profit to be a good thing and I did everything I could to maximize it.
I am aware that our prices our better than the rest of the majority of the world. The profit levels by oil at this time are acceptable, however, if the market will bear it, oil will not be satisfied and will raise prices until the supply increases and the demand goes down. The problem with this is that it will cause prices to inflate across the board, as it is already doing.
The price of fuel is a primary driving force in the US economy. While I am not for more Govt, if egregious profits by oil become damaging to the overall US economy, the IMO, these profits must be controlled.
And yes I maximizing profits is the goal of business owners, as it should be. However, maximizing profits to the point of detriment of our Country is improper. When people's lives are changed as a result of profits and taxes, something has to change, and IMO, both issues require intelligent oversight and controls.
What ever the reasons other than (greed) is BS...Diesel fuel should be less than regular grade Gas, like it was years ago. NOT higher than Premium grade gas!:mad:
I recently read that the high cost of diesel today directly relates to the price of crude. In the past, when we were paying these prices for gas, the price of oil was at around $60. The Oil Co profits at that time wee the highest in history, and IMO, unreasonable. As I've mentioned, if oil holds at $90 mark, gas will soon surpass the price of diesel, and IMO, it won't be long.

bonechip
11-17-2007, 09:57 AM
We, the the people, need to take back control. It is clear to me that the people in control, are out of control.

Blown 472
11-17-2007, 10:02 AM
We, the the people, need to take back control. It is clear to me that the people in control, are out of control.
First you have to get them off their asses and away from the tv.

hotlavey
11-17-2007, 10:14 AM
I am aware that our prices our better than the rest of the majority of the world. The profit levels by oil at this time acceptable, however, if the market will bear it, oil will not be satisfied and will raise prices until the supply increases and the demand goes down. The problem with this is that it will cause prices to inflate across the board, as it is already doing.
The price of fuel is a primary driving force in the US economy. While I am not for more Govt, if egregious profits by oil become damaging to the overall US economy, the IMO, these profits must be controlled.
And yes I maximizing profits is the goal of business owners, as it should be. However, maximizing profits to the point of detriment of our Country is improper. When people's lives are changed as a result of profits and taxes, something has to change, and IMO, both issues require intelligent oversight and controls.
I'm not sure I understand a couple of things in your statement. You state that if the demand goes down when supply increases it will cause prices to inflate? I may be missing something- usually if demand for a product falls, so does the price. And if the availability of a product increases, price for that product normally decreases, right?
I would also question your statement that the price of fuel is a primary driving force of our economy. I believe it certainly is a factor but I'm not sure of the "primary" classification. It does affect all of us for sure, as do high taxes, price of food, etc.
How do you think government control would help, they can't even control their own spending? I dread government control of anything in the public sector. Just look at the DMV.
As for we boaters and the fuel prices, yep, they are high and getting higher. However, in my mind, boating is a luxury, not a God given right. It is our choice to do it or not. If the price is too high for you, don't boat. If you choose to boat, which I do for sure, then don't complain about the price. It was your choice. Oh, when I say "you" I am not referring to you personally.

ULTRA26 # 1
11-17-2007, 10:37 AM
I completely agree
I'm not sure I understand a couple of things in your statement. You state that if the demand goes down when supply increases it will cause prices to inflate? I may be missing something- usually if demand for a product falls, so does the price. And if the availability of a product increases, price for that product normally decreases, right?
I would also question your statement that the price of fuel is a primary driving force of our economy. I believe it certainly is a factor but I'm not sure of the "primary" classification. It does affect all of us for sure, as do high taxes, price of food, etc.
How do you think government control would help, they can't even control their own spending? I dread government control of anything in the public sector. Just look at the DMV.
As for we boaters and the fuel prices, yep, they are high and getting higher. However, in my mind, boating is a luxury, not a God given right. It is our choice to do it or not. If the price is too high for you, don't boat. If you choose to boat, which I do for sure, then don't complain about the price. It was your choice. Oh, when I say "you" I am not referring to you personally.
I should have left the supply comment out as it confused my point. I believe that at $90 plus per barrel, the price will be increased until the demand goes down resulting in more supply. At this level, the price of gas will level at about $4.00 a gallon. IMO, this will provide a profit level to oil that will negatively affect the economy
I stand by my statement that The price of fuel is a primary driving force in the US economy.
I see Govt as being for the people and by the people, which is has clearly not been the case in recent history. Gas and heating oil for the most part are necessities, and should not be allowed to be taken away or restricted for the sake of profit
Believe it or not, DMV does a pretty good and getting their job done, as does the post office.
I understand and agree with your point about the price of fuel and boating being a luxury. My way of dealing with has been to drive a Eco car in order to fuel my boat.

hotlavey
11-17-2007, 10:48 AM
I completely agree
I should have left the supply comment out as it confused my point. I believe that at $90 plus per barrel, the price will be increased until the demand goes down resulting in more supply. At this level, the price of gas will level at about $4.00 a gallon. IMO, this will provide a profit level to oil that will negatively affect the economy
I stand by my statement that The price of fuel is a primary driving force in the US economy.
I see Govt as being for the people and by the people, which is has clearly not been the case in recent history. Gas and heating oil for the most part are necessities, and should not be allowed to be taken away or restricted for the sake of profit
Believe it or not, DMV does a pretty good and getting their job done, as does the post office.
I understand and agree with your point about the price of fuel and boating being a luxury. My way of dealing with has been to drive a Eco car in order to fuel my boat.
OK, we can agree to disagree on the primary driving force, the PO, and the DMV. Other then that, I totally agree with you re: our government. Seems as though it is all about the government of the government, by the government, and for the government and I don't think they should get any more involved in private industry then they already are.

ULTRA26 # 1
11-17-2007, 10:58 AM
OK, we can agree to disagree on the primary driving force, the PO, and the DMV. Other then that, I totally agree with you re: our government. Seems as though it is all about the government of the government, by the government, and for the government and I don't think they should get any more involved in private industry then they already are.
A primary driving force, not the :D :D
Have a great day
John

hotlavey
11-17-2007, 11:33 AM
A primary driving force, not the :D :D
Have a great day
John
Gotcha,
You have a great day too, it's been fun.
Tom

EmpirE231
11-17-2007, 12:00 PM
$85 bucks today to fill up a 25 gallon tank. duramax:mad:

Not So Fast
11-17-2007, 12:25 PM
Not worth much- In case you haven't noticed, the leftists(read Dems) now control both the house and senate as well as our state(Ca) and many more. The politically correct global warming crowd runs the game now and have been for some time. They will not allow drilling, either off-shore or in Alaska, no refineries, and no new nuclear power plants. Stop blaming big oil, it's the frickin government and all the taxes and restrictions. And guess what the dems want to do next? Tax big oil profits, thats what. Gee, I wonder who will end up paying that? You are right on that the government let it get this way. We need someone with balls as a leader that will fight these idiots and I'm not sure who that will be.
I'm just simple man and dont know as much as you or Ultra26 1 about government and who did what to who to get us in this terrible condition of being totally reliant on foreign oil. The one thing I do know is that when we hit $4.00 @ gal this economy is going to tank and I dont care if its Woody Woodpecker of the French Foreign Legion party that gets this problem solved. As I understand it we, the U.S., does have oil within its borders so lets go get it. If the Government made the laws that the whoever is using to stop exploration then they can damn well change them to allow some degree of sanity in this matter and allow us to drill and refine as we need it. Like John said profits at the risk of plunging this economy into bankrupcy is just not right IMO and my opinion is worth every bit as much as yours BTW. so please dont say it isnt! NSF

hotlavey
11-17-2007, 02:24 PM
I'm just simple man and dont know as much as you or Ultra26 1 about government and who did what to who to get us in this terrible condition of being totally reliant on foreign oil. The one thing I do know is that when we hit $4.00 @ gal this economy is going to tank and I dont care if its Woody Woodpecker of the French Foreign Legion party that gets this problem solved. As I understand it we, the U.S., does have oil within its borders so lets go get it. If the Government made the laws that the whoever is using to stop exploration then they can damn well change them to allow some degree of sanity in this matter and allow us to drill and refine as we need it. Like John said profits at the risk of plunging this economy into bankrupcy is just not right IMO and my opinion is worth every bit as much as yours BTW. so please dont say it isnt! NSF
I did not mean to imply that your opinion was not worth every bit as much as mine, it certainly is. All I was trying show was that I disagreed with you. I sure as heck do not know any more then you. We all have our opinions for sure but I do disagree with you that $4 per gallon will sink the economy. The exact same thing was said prior to $1 per, then $2 per, and then again at $3 per gallon. The housing fiasco will affect the economy alot more then fuel prices(again, in my opinion). For certain it will have an effect, but I am not sure if it will sink anything, but that coupled with housing, interest rates, new taxes, gov't entitlements, etc. will. Like you, I hope sanity rules and things change, but I kinda doubt it. I also feel that the unemployment figures are a good indicator of the health of the economy and they still look low, which is a good sign that we are hangin' in there. Of course that could change.

ULTRA26 # 1
11-17-2007, 03:02 PM
Bobby,
I completely agree.

Not So Fast
11-17-2007, 03:42 PM
Bobby,
I completely agree.
Thanks John, I'm not trying to be contrary here but with all of whats going on in the U.S right now the last thing we need is to have fuel prices soaring out of control because of speculators and our inability to extract from our own soil. At some point and time the American people have to come to their senses, everybody, and if it means us VS the spotted owl or whatever, then I hope we have the fortitude to do what is necessary. Yes we have to find alternative sources of energy but that will take time and we just cannot get along with out oil at this time so lets go get it:mad: Of course I'm not so dense that I think it will happen but its a good idea. This administration has turned its back on this problem for almost 7 years now, are they to blame, I dont know but I see no sense of urgency to solving the matter, do you:confused: In fact I have heard very little abut the increasing price of gas period, a little blurb here or there but I along with you believe these fuel prices will change the direction of this already sputtering economy. I guess I dont have the faith that HotLavey has in the future. All I know for a fact is that prices of EVERYTHING WE TOUCH will increase drastically because of fuel prices, it already has and will get only worse in the future if somebody or something isnt done to solve this immediate problem. I hope I'm dead wrong but I dont think so:( NSF

socaldieselkrew
11-17-2007, 03:45 PM
Paid $135 to fill up my 08 F350 today,
Paid $1280 to fill up a Citation jet last nite
Paid $40 to fill my girlfriends hybrid civic.... wonder whos gonna last longest

new2cats
11-17-2007, 03:51 PM
All my rich clients have traded their Bentleys, RRs and s-class MBs for those lil' railroad-spike lookin' Prius hybrids......thought they were fruity looking at first....now with the price to fill my '08 diesel F-250 they are looking pretty nice!!!! How the hell does Ford build a new truck that only gets 10-13 MPG on the highway...WTF????? I thought the Fed-gov regulated this crap......I assumed 17-22 for a diesel!!!!!!

ratso
11-17-2007, 03:54 PM
Paid $135 to fill up my 08 F350 today,
Paid $1280 to fill up a Citation jet last nite
Paid $40 to fill my girlfriends hybrid civic.... wonder whos gonna last longest
I believe girlfriends last on average 3 to 4 years...:D

Flyinbowtie
11-17-2007, 05:08 PM
It has impacted all of us, as has been stated.
In my world, I drive 16 miles 5 days a week to physical therapy.
I own a '97 F-350 CC 4x4 Dually with a diesel.
I don''t drive it unless the weather is bad or we are towing the boat.
I also have a '65 VW Beetle, a very clean daily driver with a fresh 1776 in it. The car gets around 21 MPG. I am a "spirited" driver.
I drive it to therapy most days. It is uphill all the way into town.
I can coast with the engine off damn near 2/3rds of the way home, and I do.:D $30 a year to tag it, same per month for full coverage; no smog, no computers.
I am going to sell it to buy a small 4x4 truck that I can drive year 'round; I'll drive it everywhere unless we are towing.
We also don't run the boat all over the lake, we sold the motorhome and sand rail, now just have a cabover camper.
As for the gorcery store; well, there is liable to be more venison in our freezer than beef, more trout than store-bought fish, etc. in the future.
NSF and others are right, the greenies in their infinite wi$dom are in the process of destroying the economy of the country. It is ironic that they are going to kill the goose that lays the egg they harvest in the form of our tax money to fund their social engineering. We ain't gonna be workin', we ain't gonna be drivin' we ain't gonna be buyin' stuff, so the gov't., at every level, is gonna hafta find a way to tax us for sitting at home on our asses.
I expect things to get much worse before they get even remotely better. I am holding out hope that as people step back from the TV and begin to think again, they'll slowly realize who is really screwing them, and suddenly it won't be healthy to be a tree hugging eco-socialist elitist.
I hope we have that awakening, but I ain't holdin' my breath.

Not So Fast
11-17-2007, 05:23 PM
It has impacted all of us, as has been stated.
In my world, I drive 16 miles 5 days a week to physical therapy.
I own a '97 F-350 CC 4x4 Dually with a diesel.
I don''t drive it unless the weather is bad or we are towing the boat.
I also have a '65 VW Beetle, a very clean daily driver with a fresh 1776 in it. The car gets around 21 MPG. I am a "spirited" driver.
I drive it to therapy most days. It is uphill all the way into town.
I can coast with the engine off damn near 2/3rds of the way home, and I do.:D $30 a year to tag it, same per month for full coverage; no smog, no computers.
I am going to sell it to buy a small 4x4 truck that I can drive year 'round; I'll drive it everywhere unless we are towing.
We also don't run the boat all over the lake, we sold the motorhome and sand rail, now just have a cabover camper.
As for the gorcery store; well, there is liable to be more venison in our freezer than beef, more trout than store-bought fish, etc. in the future.
NSF and others are right, the greenies in their infinite wi$dom are in the process of destroying the economy of the country. It is ironic that they are going to kill the goose that lays the egg they harvest in the form of our tax money to fund their social engineering. We ain't gonna be workin', we ain't gonna be drivin' we ain't gonna be buyin' stuff, so the gov't., at every level, is gonna hafta find a way to tax us for sitting at home on our asses.
I expect things to get much worse before they get even remotely better. I am holding out hope that as people step back from the TV and begin to think again, they'll slowly realize who is really screwing them, and suddenly it won't be healthy to be a tree hugging eco-socialist elitist.
I hope we have that awakening, but I ain't holdin' my breath.
Pretty well said FBT. Why is it that most people say the same thing but just in different ways about whats happening to the U.S., blame this guy, that guy who cares, its just simply time for all of the poiticians and enviromentalists, big CEO's to wake up and see what they are doing to this country. We are in in deep do-do IMO. I think the buzz word should be Bi-partizenship (sp?) screw party lines get together and figure this thing out. But then I listen to Hillary and Obama, PELOSI (I'm independant BTW) and even the GOP candidates and I shudder with terror as to what they say. I hope we make it but things really look dim:( NSF

Trailer Park Casanova
11-17-2007, 05:26 PM
Friends with Bars and restaurants say family business has really cut back.
We've eliminated dining out, except ROC's Firehouse in PS of course.
We won't do any Holiday Las Vegas runs & Shows or Stateline detours when at the dunes and that'll easily save a cool $1K.
Fewer, but longer boating trips to the river.

Classic Daycruiser
11-17-2007, 06:04 PM
Gas has not effected me much. I live in town, and my commute is just down the street. The shopping mall is another mile, and Home Depot is 2 blocks
from my house.
I'm guessing those that are seeing significant problems with gas prices, are those who kept driving out of town until they found a home they could afford the payments. I had that commute when I lived in Corona and worked in Long Beach. When I moved to Phoenix, I bought a house close to work. What a difference it made (Both in the pocket book and quality of life).
Southern California...along the coast is really messed up, and no one wants to fix the problems. If you spend more than 20 minutes getting to work, you are too far from work. Not only are you wearing out a car every three years, you blowing all your money in gas.
I bought a new 2005 Dodge pickup in December 2005, and it has just over 8500 miles. Most of that are trips to the lake (Lake Pleasant, Bartlett, etc).
When I lived in Corona and commuted, I'd have 75,000 miles (or more) in three years.
What gets me is the price of food and utilities. I did cancel my home phone a few years ago, as everybody called me on the cell phone anyway.

Boozer
11-17-2007, 06:08 PM
I moved a mile away from my work. I walk to work now.
I live 1/4 mile away from the lightrail. I buy a monthly pass and it gets me to all the hoppin bars and clubs, not to mention saves me from risking a DUI. I just upped the pass to the top of the line which gives me access to more areas and it's $99 a month.
Dining out has gotten way to pricey so unless it's happy hour at my favorite wing joint here in town I only dine out about once a month.
My primary mode of transportation when not using my chevrolegs or the lightrail is going to be a Harley.
I skipped buying the Jeep Wrangler I was looking at and picked up a 4 cyl Tacoma that I'll use to get me to the mountains and to work when the weather blows.
These fuel prices are causing most Americans to go broke. I have more money in the bank now then ever before.
F*ck the oil companies. I'm consuming about 1/10th of what I use too and giving them less of my money then ever. The Gas guzzling V8 powered SUV was nice, but the constantly rising balances in my bank accounts is even nicer. Until the rest of Americans make the kind of sacrifices I have the oil companies will continue to raise the cost of oil and take money off of your table.

ULTRA26 # 1
11-17-2007, 06:30 PM
Pretty well said FBT. Why is it that most people say the same thing but just in different ways about whats happening to the U.S., blame this guy, that guy who cares, its just simply time for all of the poiticians and enviromentalists, big CEO's to wake up and see what they are doing to this country. We are in in deep do-do IMO. I think the buzz word should be Bi-partizenship (sp?) screw party lines get together and figure this thing out. But then I listen to Hillary and Obama, PELOSI (I'm independant BTW) and even the GOP candidates and I shudder with terror as to what they say. I hope we make it but things really look dim:( NSF
You're right, Bobby. It's gonna take the best we've got from all sides to even begin to get this mess cleaned up.
My Civic SI is making me happier all the time

HammerDown
11-17-2007, 06:31 PM
I believe girlfriends last on average 3 to 4 years...:D
And in that amount of time can also empty any bank account :D

hotlavey
11-17-2007, 07:37 PM
You're right, Bobby. It's gonna take the best we've got from all sides to even begin to get this mess cleaned up.
My Civic SI is making me happier all the time
I am an independent also. I am also a conservative. I also agree with you that the only way to solve all these problems is to work together but I just can't see that happening. There are too many people looking for a government handout, and too many politically correct people on both sides that will stop it from happening. Government can't solve the problem because they are the problem. Not sure what the solution will be.

ULTRA26 # 1
11-17-2007, 08:43 PM
I am an independent also. I am also a conservative. I also agree with you that the only way to solve all these problems is to work together but I just can't see that happening. There are too many people looking for a government handout, and too many politically correct people on both sides that will stop it from happening. Government can't solve the problem because they are the problem. Not sure what the solution will be.
While I understand where you are coming from I still care to veiw the glass as half full.

hotlavey
11-17-2007, 09:03 PM
While I understand where you are coming from I still care to veiw the glass as half full.
Here's a little story kind of connected to what we were covering.
> The Ant & The Grasshopper
>
> TRADITIONAL VERSION:
>
> The ant works hard in the withering heat all summer long, building
> his house and laying up supplies for the winter.
> The grasshopper thinks the ant is a fool and laughs and dances and
> plays the summer away.
> Come winter, the ant is warm and well fed. The grasshopper has no food
> or shelter, so he dies out in the cold.
>
> MORAL OF THE STORY: Be responsible for yourself!
>
>
> MODERN VERSION
>
> The ant works hard in the withering heat all summer long, building his
> house and laying up supplies for the winter.
>
> The grasshopper thinks the ant is a fool and laughs and dances and
> plays the summer away.
> Come winter, the shivering grasshopper calls a press conference and
> demands to know why the ant should be warm and well fed while others are cold and starving.
> CBS, NBC, PBS, CNN, and ABC show up to provide pictures of the
> shivering grasshopper next to a video of the ant in his comfortable
> home with a table filled with food.
> America is stunned by the sharp contrast.
> How can this be, that in a country of such wealth, this poor
> grasshopper is allowed to suffer so?
> Kermit the Frog appears on Oprah with the grasshopper, and everybody
> cries when they sing, 'It's Not Easy Being Green.'
>
> Jesse Jackson stages a demonstration in front of the ant's house where
> the news stations film the group singing, 'We shall overcome.' Jesse
> then has the group kneel down to pray to God for the grasshopper's sake.
> Nancy Pelosi, John Kerry & Harry Reid exclaim in an interview with
> Larry King that the ant has gotten rich off the back of the
> grasshopper, and both call for an immediate tax hike on the ant to make him pay his fair share.
>
> Finally, the EEOC drafts the Economic Equity and Anti-Grasshopper Act
> retroactive to the beginning of the summer! The ant is fined for
> failing to hire a proportionate number of green bugs and, having
> nothing left to pay his retroactive taxes, his home is confiscated by the government.
>
> Hillary Clinton gets her old law firm to represent the grasshopper in
> a defamation suit against the ant, and the case is tried before a
> panel of federal judges that Bill Clinton appointed from a list of
> single-parent welfare recipients.
>
> The ant loses the case.
>
> The story ends as we see the grasshopper finishing up the last bits of
> the ant's food while the government house he is in, which just happens
> to be the ant's old house, crumbles around him because he doesn't do anything to maintain it.
>
> The ant has disappeared in the snow.
>
> The grasshopper is found dead in a drug related incident and the
> house, now abandoned, is taken over by a gang of spiders who terrorize
> the once peaceful neighborhood.
>
> MORAL OF THE STORY: Be very careful how you vote in 2008

Daytona100
11-17-2007, 09:14 PM
What gets me are all the people still running around in huge trucks and SUV,s with only one person in them. This weekend I just bought a 1200.00 commuter car 4 cyl 5 speed car and parked the hot rod mustang. Shouldn't take long for it to pay for itself. Now I'm looking at the big blown engine in the garage and wondering if I really need it. Need to make some adjustments. Just my way of sticking it to the man.:D Oh and I work for one of the big refinery,s business couldn't,t be better. Thanks to all the people wasting obscene amounts of fuel just to get around.

Not So Fast
11-17-2007, 09:19 PM
I guess my new little golf cart is going to get a lot of use:( NSF

loudpipessavelives
11-17-2007, 09:45 PM
I'm crying the blues every time i go to the pumps. its complete bs that theres $0.62/gal road tax on diesel. I've been thinking about buying a biodiesel still and making my own fuel from used veggie oil. i figure i can make it for about $0.70/gal.... unfortunately i don't have the resources to tackle something like that at the moment so I'm just gonna keep on crying every week when i spend $90 to fill up my pickup

Not So Fast
11-18-2007, 07:58 AM
The only bright spot in the hopes of finding GOOD POLITICIANS is that Arizona has found a man I admire and is doing a hell of a job and that guy although not a politician and is just a public servant is Sheirff Joe Arpaio, what a job this guy is doing:D He is as right as rain, so why cant we find hard working HONEST politicians like him to run the country:confused: NSF

ULTRA26 # 1
11-18-2007, 08:00 AM
What gets me are all the people still running around in huge trucks and SUV,s with only one person in them. This weekend I just bought a 1200.00 commuter car 4 cyl 5 speed car and parked the hot rod mustang. Shouldn't take long for it to pay for itself. Now I'm looking at the big blown engine in the garage and wondering if I really need it. Need to make some adjustments. Just my way of sticking it to the man.:D Oh and I work for one of the big refinery,s business couldn't,t be better. Thanks to all the people wasting obscene amounts of fuel just to get around.
Agreed

beyondhelpin
11-18-2007, 08:16 AM
You cant blame the prices on other couuntries as much as you can the speculators. Every small hiccup in the industry feeds their profits. Pretty soon the news will be reporting one of the oil workers has come down with the flu, two of thier trucks has been taken out for regular service, and the holidays are coming up in 4 months which will increase consumption! This shit is running out of control. What if a real diaster happens?
Im not much for goverment intervention but this is crazy. Fuel is a nessisty. At this point I dont know how much they can do though with the dollar tanking.
I was out in western Oklahoma yesterday hunting. An old friend of mine who has his own oil company has a field office out there, was there in his new jet helecopter. It was unbelivable. Candy apple red no less! He also just bought a new 10 passenger jet plane. Guess these times are pretty good for him!
On a possitive note my wife is getting ready to go to work for an oil company with a $15,000 -$20,000 raise. That should more than cover my energy nut.

Not So Fast
11-18-2007, 08:26 AM
You cant blame the prices on other couuntries as much as you can the speculators. Every small hiccup in the industry feeds their profits. Pretty soon the news will be reporting one of the oil workers has come down with the flu, two of thier trucks has been taken out for regular service, and the holidays are coming up in 4 months which will increase consumption! This shit is running out of control. What if a real diaster happens?
Im not much for goverment intervention but this is crazy. Fuel is a nessisty. At this point I dont know how much they can do though with the dollar tanking.
I was out in western Oklahoma yesterday hunting. An old friend of mine who has his own oil company has a field office out there, was there in his new jet helecopter. It was unbelivable. Candy apple red no less! He also just bought a new 10 passenger jet plane. Guess these times are pretty good for him!
On a possitive note my wife is getting ready to go to work for an oil company with a $15,000 -$20,000 raise. That should more than cover my energy nut.
I happen to know a man (not that I run in this circle of people:( ) whose family is in the oil business, supply end big time, who told me about a year ago that they should go to jail for the obscene amonuts of profit they were making so I understand how SOME PEOPLE are getting rich, very rich but at the expense of the American people and it is just not right IMO:( NSF

hotlavey
11-18-2007, 09:11 AM
The only bright spot in the hopes of finding GOOD POLITICIANS is that Arizona has found a man I admire and is doing a hell of a job and that guy although not a politician and is just a public servant is Sheirff Joe Arpaio, what a job this guy is doing:D He is as right as rain, so why cant we find hard working HONEST politicians like him to run the country:confused: NSF
He has my vote for sure.

ULTRA26 # 1
11-18-2007, 10:23 AM
I happen to know a man (not that I run in this circle of people:( ) whose family is in the oil business, supply end big time, who told me about a year ago that they should go to jail for the obscene amonuts of profit they were making so I understand how SOME PEOPLE are getting rich, very rich but at the expense of the American people and it is just not right IMO:( NSF
Bobby,
It seems that most who have posted in this thread are close to being in agreement. :D :D

beyondhelpin
11-18-2007, 10:43 AM
Gotta agree. But in my friends defense, he is small time and has no pull as far as prices go.