PDA

View Full Version : 2005 496HO Water Pump

rollin24/7
11-16-2007, 02:49 PM
What's up ***boats! Well, took the boat to Parker this weekend and turns out the impeller went out. Got to spend a total of 5 minutes on the water:mad: I've been told 2 things thus far.. to just replace the impeller, and/or too replace the water pump and impeller. Was wondering what anyone else has done when there impeller has gone out? Lastly, I was wondering what some of you who do this sort of thing yourself, get the parts?(what part store)
Good news about the weekend is that it forced us to visit the Desert Bar for the first time and it was a blast! Any info would help.

BDMar
11-16-2007, 03:33 PM
Take the water pump off, disassemble it and remove the impeller, inspect the housing and end plate, replace the housing and/or end plate only if they are grooved beyond the point of allowing the ends of the impeller to seal against them. Make sure you find ALL the impeller pieces.
Pretty good chance that the housing will be bad if it was run long enough to trash the impeller.

BOBALOO
11-16-2007, 03:41 PM
Take the water pump off, disassemble it and remove the impeller, inspect the housing and end plate, replace the housing and/or end plate only if they are grooved beyond the point of allowing the ends of the impeller to seal against them. Make sure you find ALL the impeller pieces.
Pretty good chance that the housing will be bad if it was run long enough to trash the impeller.
Hey Brian, what is your opinion on replacing the grooved housing with one that is machined smooth again. Those housings are expensive.

Beer-30
11-16-2007, 03:49 PM
I am due this year. I plan on buying a new, replacement pump. I will just swap them out and then kit the old one. That way, each year, I can just swap them out. Plus, I can carry the spare with me.
A little more $ up front, but I think it will pay off in time. Plus, it is just piece of mind having a spare.

Buster
11-16-2007, 04:24 PM
Unless it is has no grooves on the inside of the housing then replace it. HO's are very sensitive to water presure so if there is even just one groove it will loose enough preasure to set off your alarm. I chased this same problem last summer and the only fix was a new pump. About $450.

BDMar
11-16-2007, 06:12 PM
Hey Brian, what is your opinion on replacing the grooved housing with one that is machined smooth again. Those housings are expensive.
Hey Bobby,
The problem is that when you machine the bottom of the housing you also have to machine the flange where the end cap bolts on to maintain the proper depth. Then the flange gets pretty thin....
The best solution is change the impeller EVERY spring, stay away from shalow water, never start it dry even for a second, and install the new impeller with the proper lubricant.

rollin24/7
11-16-2007, 07:15 PM
Thanks Buster. Did you do it yourself, or did you take it somewhere to have it done?

Throttle
11-16-2007, 07:25 PM
pat, that sux... we just talked about that before your trip. you set yourself up....
its gonna be a bitch to do, but I can help if you have a bottle of jack around :D

Throttle
11-16-2007, 07:29 PM
first take out back seat, so you can get to the damn thing.
plan on replacing the whole thing...

Buster
11-17-2007, 08:53 AM
Thanks Buster. Did you do it yourself, or did you take it somewhere to have it done?
Took it out once myself to replace the impeller and the other time I had the shop do it. On my boat, taking it out is the only option. To tight to try and work on the pump while in the boat, plus you really need to be able to check the housing and surfaces as BD stated.
Good luck...