PDA

View Full Version : transom tie downs...

Riverat84
03-03-2006, 07:23 PM
alright everybody, i dont know how many times these q's have been posted, so i understand that already...
i was thinking of adding some transom tiedowns to the rear of my boat. my boat is basically shaved everything off, except for the gas tank fillers...so would it be real hard to bolt some to the transom for my trailer? right now i just use a ratchet tiedown from the trailer to the ski pole....doesnt do much, cuz every once in a while the boat jumps up if i hit a huge bump even real slow....i dont wanna fock up my boat...so how would i attach these? is it hard?
thanx for the response,
Reid

Dimarco Kid
03-03-2006, 07:43 PM
Are you looking to install "typical" stern eyes (drilling the transom and thru bolting) or are you looking for an alternative?

Riverat84
03-03-2006, 07:49 PM
i guess so, otherwise what else do you have in mind? all i know of is the 'U' shaped ones that bolt through....anything flashier? easier? thanx bud.

slotracer
03-03-2006, 07:57 PM
just a thought. just strap over the pump housing to the trailer to keep it down
pat :rollside:

Devilman
03-03-2006, 08:12 PM
i dont wanna fock up my boat...so how would i attach these? is it hard?
thanx for the response,
Reid
Mark your spots & drill. Pretty easy, I put new ones in mine once the transom was replaced. Just keep your drill at the same angle as the transom. (I did finds that out, the hard way on one side) Seeking advice here, some of the guys recommended using resin on the holes to seal the wood. Not much to it. Not sure if they come any other way, but I went with stainless...

Riverat84
03-03-2006, 08:24 PM
oh yeah bud, i did that, but was worried a phat bump would rip the bowl right out so i stopped that...
and DEVILMAN that sounds like a good idea...you mean keep the drill bit level and square w/ the transom wall? if so, im cool w/ that.

Devilman
03-03-2006, 08:35 PM
oh yeah bud, i did that, but was worried a phat bump would rip the bowl right out so i stopped that...
and DEVILMAN that sounds like a good idea...you mean keep the drill bit level and square w/ the transom wall? if so, im cool w/ that.
Yeah, if its got any angle, try & keep it level/square to the transom, or the holes won't come out right.
When doing mine I caught myself drilling straight forward instead of at a slightly upward angle. Had to get a little creative with it to make it work, but it did.:D By paying a little more attention on the second one though, it bolted through the transom flawlessly. :cool:
Also, I drilled pretty small pilot holes first. Covered the general area with masking tape before I drilled the bigger holes, to protect the paint & keep it from possibly flaking. Not sure if that part did anything, but I felt better about it & didn't want to take a chance...

Beer-30
03-03-2006, 08:51 PM
What about some nice, anodized or powdercoated pop-up cleats? You could push them flush during boating, out during trailering.
There's these button pop-ups:
http://www.danamarineproducts.com/partImages/DC-PU-200-1.jpg
Or regular:
http://www.danamarineproducts.com/partImages/AC-202-4-1.jpg

Riverat84
03-03-2006, 09:47 PM
Yeah, if its got any angle, try & keep it level/square to the transom, or the holes won't come out right.
When doing mine I caught myself drilling straight forward instead of at a slightly upward angle. Had to get a little creative with it to make it work, but it did.:D By paying a little more attention on the second one though, it bolted through the transom flawlessly. :cool:
Also, I drilled pretty small pilot holes first. Covered the general area with masking tape before I drilled the bigger holes, to protect the paint & keep it from possibly flaking. Not sure if that part did anything, but I felt better about it & didn't want to take a chance...
yeah im feelin that, but im also feelin those sweet little round ones....do they fit my application????? the middle one is the EXACT color of my 'burple' boat lol....it would look great on a white background on the transom....let me know!

BigBlockBaja
03-03-2006, 10:44 PM
Riverat84,
I think your boat is similar to mine. 18 foot challenger. How thick is your transom? Mine is about 1/4" and I wouldnt think of using those U bolts or anything on my transom..
Just my .02

Riverat84
03-03-2006, 11:24 PM
Riverat84,
I think your boat is similar to mine. 18 foot challenger. How thick is your transom? Mine is about 1/4" and I wouldnt think of using those U bolts or anything on my transom..
Just my .02
dude, my transom has got to be much more thicker than .25"....its gotta be at least half inch thick....it just feels so when you knock on it...i havent had any holes in it so i cant judge well enough.....25 feels way too thin for a boat like ours.....yeah i know about those u thingys....i would'nt unless there's a big plate on the inside of the transom bolted on so it can grab more surface area...yet i see them on almost all of our daycruiser jet style boats on here. so go figure. lol

Dimarco Kid
03-04-2006, 03:57 AM
All those nice anodized popups and cleats are available through Dana Marine and Rex Marine, all the big stores. The easiest way is to make sure you drill straight is to grab a level and lower/raise the bow of the trailer so your transom's straight up and down! As close as possible anyways. Then tape it like he said, small pilot hole first. TRICK...after the pilot is drilled, take a your final bit and run it in reverse and it will cut thru the gelcoat/paint without chipping it. Once you're thru that then turn the drill back to forward and blow thru the transom. Same trick works with holesaws too, when you're drilling gauge holes etc...
Good luck! :cool:

SmokinLowriderSS
03-04-2006, 04:10 AM
I still wouldn't bolt to 1/2" of glass. My Taylor has a 2x4 running full width accross my transom at the height of the eyes in mine. I'd at least decide where to glass on a piece of 1/2" plywood to back up each eye. 3/4" would be better, good sized piece, 6"x12" or so each. Then you could even pull with them (extra skiiers or such).

Devilman
03-04-2006, 05:03 AM
yeah im feelin that, but im also feelin those sweet little round ones....do they fit my application????? the middle one is the EXACT color of my 'burple' boat lol....it would look great on a white background on the transom....let me know!
Not sure if those would work or not. Not through the transom anyway. Have to check 'em out, do a little research. They do look cool, though.:D
Somebody mentioned using the pump to tie it to the trailer. I know some people that do that & haven't had any problems. Even on a shitty ass road. Although its very slow, a friend of mine pulls his down a driveway that would make the Chisolm Trail look like a friggin interstate, he hasn't had any problems.
I prolly wouldn't have put anything back in mine, but the holes were still in the fiberglass after having the transom replaced. I just had to drill through the new wood. As far as the thickness of the transom, mine is a little over an 1" thick. 1 1/4" if I remember correctly. Good indication of why my boat weighs what it does... :rollside:

Dimarco Kid
03-04-2006, 05:35 AM
I used 4"x6" aluminum backers. 1/4 inch thick.

Cole Sanger
03-04-2006, 07:16 AM
Just a word of advise I got from Barney one time. Make sure that your strap doesn't sit on your fiberglass. It will leave stress cracks. For example if you are going from the ski tow back to the trailer.

slotracer
03-04-2006, 07:17 AM
i been straping over the pump for years on 3 different boats and had no problems. the pump bolts to the grate inside the boat. i have a challenger that the transom is only 1/4" no way would i think about putting holdowns though it.
pat

bigriverdog
03-04-2006, 07:32 AM
Works for me.

spectras only
03-04-2006, 09:06 AM
This is what I would do . The standard hook and stringer washers are cheap , and I don't think it looks too bad .It's out of sight on my boat while it's in the water anyway :)
http://www3.telus.net/spectrasonly/stern%20tiedown

Dimarco Kid
03-04-2006, 09:09 AM
That's a clean look...never thought of that!

Riverat84
03-04-2006, 10:56 AM
alright errbody, you all have good ideas....yes my transom is inbetween quarter and half of an inch,,,....so i guess ill just go w/ over the pump for now. thanx allot everybody.

n8dawg
03-04-2006, 12:05 PM
alright errbody, you all have good ideas....yes my transom is inbetween quarter and half of an inch,,,....so i guess ill just go w/ over the pump for now. thanx allot everybody.
Thats how I tie my boat down, never had any probs.

SmokinLowriderSS
03-04-2006, 03:31 PM
I used 4"x6" aluminum backers. 1/4 inch thick.
Those'll work too. :)

bergen
03-04-2006, 04:10 PM
do i need to tie down the back? im just asking this question because my sanger from the factory had no tie downs on it. i am second owner of boat, i bought the boat off my freind, who bought the boat new in 1978 from sanger its a jet hydro, i asked my freind about this tieing down the back he told me
dont need to, he never did in the 21years he had it.
bergen

Brooski
03-04-2006, 05:16 PM
Same here, works like a charm

1968Droptop
03-04-2006, 05:37 PM
do i need to tie down the back? im just asking this question because my sanger from the factory had no tie downs on it. i am second owner of boat, i bought the boat off my freind, who bought the boat new in 1978 from sanger its a jet hydro, i asked my freind about this tieing down the back he told me
dont need to, he never did in the 21years he had it.
bergen
Same here, no tie downs at all. I wasn't sure if I needed them or not ? It's made it this long w/o them, so I'm ass-u-ming it works OK.

78Southwind
03-04-2006, 06:43 PM
Dido