PDA

View Full Version : Grammar Experts Please???????????

Not So Fast
11-17-2007, 05:47 PM
Who ever made up the rule of "I before E except after C"?? Everytime I use it I get it wrong and have to ask my wife how it should be, anybody else in the same boat?:idea: I usually know how to spell pretty well even though I was lousy at grammar but that rule really screws me up and does not work half the time:confused: NSF

Todd969
11-17-2007, 05:50 PM
Has anybody ever told you, " You complain alot?" If not let me be the first.:D

Moneypitt
11-17-2007, 05:56 PM
i before e.....except after c....... Except if its raining somewhere, if its sunny somewhere,or if its dark somewhere, all other times, i before e, except after c, unless you are trying to spell one of those words that are an exception to the rule about i before e......I think?.......I'll have to weigh the options..........MP

maxwedge
11-17-2007, 06:00 PM
I can't get it right iethier. Something about nieghbor and wiegh?:D

Nord
11-17-2007, 06:04 PM
i before e.....except after c....... Except if its raining somewhere, if its sunny somewhere,or if its dark somewhere, all other times, i before e, except after c, unless you are trying to spell one of those words that are an exception to the rule about i before e......I think?.......I'll have to weigh the options..........MP
:confused:

Havasu1986
11-17-2007, 06:06 PM
Budweiser...Am I close. :D

bunny 166
11-17-2007, 06:26 PM
The only ones I know are neighbor, weigh(t), Budweiser, caffeine, and protein. I'm sure there's more?? :idea:

ULTRA26 # 1
11-17-2007, 06:39 PM
I before e except after c, or when sounding like ay as in neighbor or weigh

Not So Fast
11-17-2007, 09:22 PM
YES!!!!!! NSF;;;;;;;;; and I dont see it ending anytime soon so make your adjustments!!!!! Add smiley here, I forgot:):)

beaverretriever
11-17-2007, 10:38 PM
LOL, there you go again with these weird post. :idea:

ol guy
11-18-2007, 01:22 AM
Is their going to be test at the end?

My Man's Sportin' Wood
11-18-2007, 08:18 AM
The problem with that rule, and most "rules" in the English language, is that English is a blend of two language bases, Latin and Germanic. German words, like Budweiser and neighbor, put the "e" first. Those are the ones that screw us up. That's one of the reasons English is so hard for others to learn. The rules are inconsistent. You should try to read some early American documents, like Merriwether Lewis or Ben Franklin letters. :rolleyes: Everything is misspelled. Reading some of those I learned a couple of things. First of all, spelling evolves over time, and second, as long as the reader gets the intended message, that's all that really matters.
But don't worry NSF, I'll help you out, since I spell-check nearly every post on here :D

Not So Fast
11-18-2007, 08:30 AM
The problem with that rule, and most "rules" in the English language, is that English is a blend of two language bases, Latin and Germanic. German words, like Budweiser and neighbor, put the "e" first. Those are the ones that screw us up. That's one of the reasons English is so hard for others to learn. The rules are inconsistent. You should try to read some early American documents, like Merriwether Lewis or Ben Franklin letters. :rolleyes: Everything is misspelled. Reading some of those I learned a couple of things. First of all, spelling evolves over time, and second, as long as the reader gets the intended message, that's all that really matters.
But don't worry NSF, I'll help you out, since I spell-check nearly every post on here :D
Thanks,MMSW:D How have I been doing lately:idea: You one smart person, must be a teacher huh:idea: NSF

My Man's Sportin' Wood
11-18-2007, 08:36 AM
Thanks,MMSW:D How have I been doing lately:idea: You one smart person, must be a teacher huh:idea: NSF
I haven't noticed :D As for the smartness, that's debatable. Is "smartness" a word? I don't think so. LOL

Warlockjer
11-18-2007, 08:48 AM
Todd, you are NOT the first!!!:)

thatguy
11-18-2007, 10:27 AM
"Their". There is another one that doesn't fit "either" rule.
Tommy
MMSW: Is there a rhyme for "their" ?

Not So Fast
11-18-2007, 10:46 AM
Todd, you are NOT the first!!!:)
AWW, you guys go screw yourselfs:D
Heres one that I noticed speaking of grammar, I dont watch it but have you noticed the TV show called the "Worlds Most Smartest Model" :confused: :confused: Beautiful just beautiful;) NSF

ULTRA26 # 1
11-18-2007, 10:50 AM
Go Spellcheck :D :D :D

Trailer Park Casanova
11-18-2007, 10:55 AM
Mandelon was the Grammar Gestapo a while back I thought.

My Man's Sportin' Wood
11-18-2007, 12:27 PM
"Their". There is another one that doesn't fit "either" rule.
Tommy
MMSW: Is there a rhyme for "their" ?
Sure, heir, hair, mare, bare . . . the list goes on.