PDA

View Full Version : Need takes and Recomendations on a good Home Mig welder:

Trailer Park Casanova
11-17-2007, 06:27 PM
Unless something has changed I believe Mig over Tig is best for the homeowner,, right?
I'll be welding stuff like shock mounts on trailer frames ect.
So far looking at Lincolns and Millers but don't want to buy too much or too little of a welder.
The Clarke looks like an excellent line too.
Any specific mod numbers and brands appreciated.
Any takes?
Thanks.

Classic Daycruiser
11-17-2007, 06:31 PM
Check Harbor Freight. http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/retail_stores.taf
I have not had any trouble with mine. They have a few models

Trailer Park Casanova
11-17-2007, 07:25 PM
Thanks, good take.
Forgot all about Harbor Freight.
I'll check them out.

Jbb
11-17-2007, 07:35 PM
I have had a Solar mig welder for 20 years....use it every week...cant kill it...at the same time I bought mine....a friend bought a Daytona mig for less ...he uses his as much or more than I do mine....and he has had no problems either.....If you are planning to paint any of the stuff you weld...avoid flux core wire, and use c-25 shielding gas instead..
Daytona (http://www.daytonamig.com/miglineup.htm)

Nubbs
11-17-2007, 07:57 PM
I have a 110V Miller and a 220V Lincoln. The Miller seems to be made better. I use the Miller as much as I can. I only use the Lincoln for the thicker stuff.

YeLLowBoaT
11-17-2007, 08:28 PM
Bigger is always better... Something to thing about is the amp draw some welders have, it would really suck to buy a killer welder only to find out that you don't have enought room in your box for the breakers. I've gotton more then one call for that. :)

Ryphraph
11-17-2007, 08:49 PM
What's your price range? The Miller Passport will run well on either 220 or 110 and is moblie @ 45 lbs. It can run on internal CO2 tank or with an external tank. It's a bit pricey though...
Ryph

NuckinFutz
11-17-2007, 09:05 PM
I have a Miller that is now ten years old and is the equivalent of the current Miller 252. I have used it to weld the cage on an in dash stereo (making custom mounts) up to half inch plate for my truck winch mount. I use .035 wire and CO2/argon mix and have been happy as hell. It runs on 220. Might be overkill for some, but like engines in boats, go as big as you can afford ( you can always turn it down).

Konabrent
11-17-2007, 09:47 PM
Millermatic 175.....A man and his MIG welder...it's a beautiful thing!!!

OGShocker
11-17-2007, 09:48 PM
Millermatic 175.....A man and his MIG welder...it's a beautiful thing!!!
Ditto!!!

dc96819
11-17-2007, 10:13 PM
Miller 175 would be perfect for what your doing.

maxwedge
11-17-2007, 10:20 PM
I have a 110v Lincoln that's about 6 years old. I think it was about the most powerfull 110 welder lincoln had at the time. I've run several 25# spools through it with no problems. Mostly automotive sheet metal work, but I've also run aluminum and stainless through it and does great for what it is. A guy I used to work with bought the cheap Harbor frieght special and after using his, I was glad I bought the Lincoln, even though it was probably $250 more. The arc on mine was more stable, the wire feed was smooother and even though they both had the same amp rating mine had more power. But it was almost double the cost too. Also I noticed when I rewired my garage that it really likes to be fed off a 20 or 30 amp circuit even though it has never tripped a breaker on a 15, it burns better with bigger wire feeding it.

bonesfab
11-17-2007, 10:33 PM
I have had a Century for 18 years and only recently had the fan motor go out. No complaints what so ever. As they say Bigger is always better, but in reality you only need so much. A buddy just bought the Miller 140 and loves it.

Trailer Park Casanova
11-18-2007, 05:22 AM
THanks for all the great takes.

Sherpa
11-18-2007, 06:49 AM
Go blue....!
I own a millermatic200 that has seen alot of commercial work and still welds
flawlessly, I also have a much newer miller 250x that has alot of fancy stuff
on it.
the third blue machine I have is a miller synchrowave 350 tig machine.
you'd be happy with a millermatic 185, or 250 machine for sure. stay 220v,
and avoid harbor freight, dayton, etc. buying a used miller 220 machine
will never be a bad purchase............ if you don't like a little spatter, run
"mig-gas" instead of straight CO2. weld performance is very similar, you
need to adjust the current up ever so slightly for similar penetration. argon
(used for the 25% part of the mig gas requires more heat for penetration)
--I've also had good results with Lincoln machines. I've repaired a few for
freinds........
--Sherpa

OCMerrill
11-18-2007, 06:59 AM
Home Depot sells a Weld Pak 3200 by Lincoln. It's 110v and runs well over 120 amps. Works best with self shielding wire (runs hotter) so no need for MIG mix. It's a good price somewhere around $mid 400's. I have one on each truck for welding misc small stuff. Mostly wrought Iron but I have made many boat trailer repairs and modifications with one.
Also spend the money and get an auto darkening helmet. So much easier especially for learning.
http://content.lincolnelectric.com/pdfs/products/literature/e7351.pdf
http://www.homedepot.com/catalog/productImage/1574d6b2-d27a-4dbb-bbaa-e6f6e06c8325_400.jpg

KLEPTOW
11-18-2007, 07:52 AM
I'm the biggest Harbor Freight fan here, but there is a lot of shit that doesn't hold up long enough to get it out the door, But I'll take it right back and spend my money on something else I don't need.
Welders, unless your planning on buying 2 just get the Lincoln, I have both & the Harbor Freight unit just does not have the Duty Cycle to do anything more than 2 inch bead with out tripping breakers shit.
Lincoln 110
I Purchased mine from home desperate a couple of years ago. Caught it on sale and used some other coupon paid about 320.00 for it, and have not any problems with it.

Trailer Park Casanova
11-18-2007, 09:21 AM
Thanks for the takes.
The welding need around here have dictated I get with the program and do it myself.
Last time I electric welded it was with the old school rod and hammer.
Time to modernize and get correct.
Appreciate all the info from everyone.

OCMerrill
11-18-2007, 09:32 AM
Thanks for the takes.
The welding need around here have dictated I get with the program and do it myself.
Last time I electric welded it was with the old school rod and hammer.
Time to modernize and get correct.
Appreciate all the info from everyone.
After a little practice you will be welding everything! I actually find it kind of fun.

whiteworks
11-18-2007, 11:06 AM
I have a small lincoln mig that runs off 110 and is gas sheilded (argon). it works bitchen for most of the metal I stick together. great little welder I think it was around $700. by the time I got out the door with the argon tank, gauges, mask, gloves. it likes to be plugged in close to the panel. nice little welder for around the house stuff.

Baja Big Dog
11-18-2007, 11:44 AM
DO NO...REPEAT DO NOT GET A 120 WELDER!!!
I bleed blue, got about 8 Millers, had one problem, handled it two years later on warrnaty. Get a 220v machine, the 175 is nice, I like the 251's with variable adjustments.
Ive got one Linclon, a 150 I believe, had it for about 10 years with no problems.

Noisy Nova
11-18-2007, 01:05 PM
A 240 volt Miller would be the best for all 'round home/garage use. I've got Miller multi-process inverter MIG/stick/TIG. Overkill, I know. :D

BOBALOO
11-18-2007, 01:34 PM
I bought a Lincoln 220v welder at HD 5 years ago for welding up projects at the house. It was under 500$ and I use flux cored wire. The cheesy welding shield works well for when I have a friend helping, and I get to use my good helmet.
I've made a couple motorcycle carriers for my truck hitch, gates for the house, a 12x6.5 trailer and ALOT of little fixes where I could just weld something instead of buying new or taking somewhere.
I went back and forth on the 110v v/s 220v and ended up with the 220v. I also used a heavy duty extension cord ( the kind with a twist lock ) from the Depot to get me further from the panel. The cord was ALOT cheaper than buying the wire and putting ends on it.
I dont worry about finding an open breaker at friends houses b/c I just take out their ac breaker and put mine in it's spot. Everyone has a/c right:D The long cord gets me to the work area.
The cheapy Lincoln works well for what I do.

ColeTR2
11-18-2007, 01:40 PM
So far looking at Lincolns and Millers but don't want to buy too much or too little of a welder.
220v Lincoln for Mig :wink: is a good call.... I like Millers for Tig

Jbb
11-18-2007, 01:43 PM
[SIZE="4"]DO NO...REPEAT DO NOT GET A 120 WELDER!!!
Hmmmm....I had a Solar 2175...(220v) and a Solar 2120...(110v) in my shop.....and the 2120 welded on as many quarter panels as the 2175 did....granted I wouldn't build a bridge with it...but for home use.....there is nothing wrong with a 110 v unit...

OCMerrill
11-18-2007, 03:03 PM
Hmmmm....I had a Solar 2175...(220v) and a Solar 2120...(110v) in my shop.....and the 2120 welded on as many quarter panels as the 2175 did....granted I wouldn't build a bridge with it...but for home use.....there is nothing wrong with a 110 v unit...
I agree for most minor work a 220V is not needed. We run off generator power most the time when working. The 110 is very simple and welds very well.
220v is a pain because need well...220v. Limits places of use with a welder that is very portable.
Actually were talking 135 amps vrs 175 amps 220v in the HD Lincoln units. If it's a real big deal preheat the metal first until the surface temp is around 400 degrees or so.
But it is not the do all. Minor projects not for welding Frame brackets to race trucks.

beernut
11-18-2007, 06:51 PM
I would get a miller 212,or a used 210, you wont be sorry,list price is $1800 but you can find way better deals if you look ,i have seen deals with a free spool gun,or auto darkening hood, look on racedezert or dezert rangers for used stuff :D

Racey
11-18-2007, 07:16 PM
Miller over lincoln any day in my opinion for starters. their quality, service, and parts are the best and easiest to find.
If you are only welding steel then mig is probably what you would want. a 200 series 220v version.
If you want to weld a variety of metals, stainless; aluminum; chromoly; etc then get a Miller tig machine, their smaller inverter style tigs are great for stainless and chromoly, and light aluminum work, the air cooled torch will be fine for most small jobs, you only need to go to a water cooled torch if you are welding heavy/thick (3/8"+) steel or alum.

Classic Daycruiser
11-18-2007, 07:30 PM
THanks for all the great takes.
I hate to say it, but today, you have alot to pick from. If you look in the inside of a welder, you'll find the same shit. Most if not 99.9% of the problems with welders come from not taking care of the unit.
If you leave the welder outside, your going to have problems. Water does not like electric, hence "the dam thing trips the breaker, when I try to weld in the rain."
I like the 110V models, because you can move it around, and plug it into any 30 amp breaker. You can even plug it into a 20 amp outlet. Its not designed to handle building a battleship, but if your building rock crawler, no problem.
True, Lincoln and Miller make a great welder, but if you not going to run it 8 hours a day (overheat it) 7 days a week in mfg production, any of these welders work just as good, and half the price.
I have been too many shops, and I see those welder stuffed in a corner with 15 coffee cups sitting on top, and dried up coffee stains running down the side. Then the employee that uses the welder complains to his boss that if he bought a miller, unstead of a cheap Lincoln, he could be more productive.
If you take care of your tools, and use them properly, they will last for a long time.
I have cracked a few sockets, trying to wench off a 3/4 inch nut, but after further review, I find if I first used WD-40 and maybe a 1/2 inch drive instead of 3/8 inch drive, the job would have turned out different .
Next time you look at your shop or someone elses, look at the tools/equipment..it will tell you alot about who's working on your stuff.:D :D :D

jbtrailerjim
11-18-2007, 08:38 PM
I run Miller wire feeds at my shop. They have been very dependable over the years and my guys are very hard equipment.