PDA

View Full Version : blower intake question

steelcomp
11-17-2007, 08:57 PM
I'm selling a Mooneyham blower intake for a tall deck, and was asked if it will accept a 1471. Frankly, I don't remember. If I recall, (and this was my asnwer, so I hope I'm right) most standard blower intakes will accept all the roots blowers, but for the bigger blowers the intake opening needs to be enlarged. Is that correct? So yes, the 1471 will bolt to this intake, and will work with the opening mod?:idea:
Thanks for the help here.

Placecraft Dragstar
11-18-2007, 03:31 AM
Yes they will work but you need to inlarge the opening and make some new bolt holes. I have enlarged a few of them for a friend of mine that does alot of blower engines.

TIMINATOR
11-18-2007, 09:05 PM
Most, but not all manafolds can be opened for a big blower. Usually the actual blower companies (BDS,KUHL,etc)stuff can be done, but not the Weiand and lesser companies stuff. TIMINATOR

DetroitJim
11-19-2007, 05:13 AM
I was also wondering about this, does the opening need really need to be enlarged? My 8-71 and a lot of new blowers have the back end of the discharge blocked off and the only outlet is at the front. My manifold has a flat pad at the back that could be opened up. Just seems to me that a few inches closed off at the back isn't going to hurt much. I'm going to throw a 14-71 on it that I just got and see what happens. Of course I'm pretty much a hack...:D :D :D

TIMINATOR
11-20-2007, 07:48 AM
It will work as long as it has sealing surface all of the way around. I run a 14-71 Delta /front discharge on a regular 14-71 manafold, the proper manafold sits the blower farther back to put the discharge air more in the center of the manafold. Distribution suffers as does max HP, about 50, according to Craig at BDS. I don't run the setback plate on mine because the 50 hp is no big deal and I like to be able to get to my distributor, right now it is under the back of the blower, the intercooler gets it up enough to kinda clear everything. Kinda. TIMINATOR

@theRVR
11-29-2007, 02:22 PM
I'm selling a Mooneyham blower intake for a tall deck, and was asked if it will accept a 1471. Frankly, I don't remember. If I recall, (and this was my asnwer, so I hope I'm right) most standard blower intakes will accept all the roots blowers, but for the bigger blowers the intake opening needs to be enlarged. Is that correct? So yes, the 1471 will bolt to this intake, and will work with the opening mod?:idea:
Thanks for the help here.
The 14-71 will bolt on to your manifold, but I would not open up the bottom opening any more than it is. Everybody thinks you need a bigger opening when you put on a bigger blower. when the high helix blower came around it only had 14 or 15 sq. inches of opening in the bottom of the blower, bigger wasn't better, it also created more heat in the manifold.

roostwear
12-04-2007, 08:34 AM
This thread made me start thinking about old manifolds and if they are being converted for larger blowers or stuffed under shop benches. I've been looking for an old 6 or 8-71 426 hemi blower intake and it's like they fell off the face of the earth. I know there must have been a ton of Cragar and M/T manifolds made, but can't find one now. :(

Placecraft Dragstar
12-04-2007, 11:30 AM
This thread made me start thinking about old manifolds and if they are being converted for larger blowers or stuffed under shop benches. I've been looking for an old 6 or 8-71 426 hemi blower intake and it's like they fell off the face of the earth. I know there must have been a ton of Cragar and M/T manifolds made, but can't find one now. :(
For a hemi intake call H.E.S. Racing ( Howard ) he may have one 989-205-1985

Blown 472
12-04-2007, 07:34 PM
You check racing junk.com?

roostwear
12-05-2007, 06:06 AM
I check it every day. I remember when you couldn't give the old stuff away, but I didn't have an immediate need for it. Now it's like finding hen's teeth. Woulda, coulda, shoulda.:notam: