PDA

View Full Version : V Drive case question.....and more.

sawtooth
11-18-2007, 04:23 PM
OK here is my confussion, I bought a Casale V-drive awhile back (used), I have been messing with my project and pulled the cases apart and it has 18% gears that are stamped 10*, the factory C E stamp and the #of teeth stamp, all good so far but looking at the cases closer they have the PT# 62500 which I thought was a 12* :confused: . Can you run 10* gears in a 12* case (everything turned very smooth, went in and out of gear easy before opening things up). So lets say you have a 7.5* strut with a 12* V-drive, could you mount it so it's at 10* (v drive) and let the u-joints in the drive line soak up the 2* difference or just mount the motor higher or should I start looking for a 10*. This is all going into a 21' RC with a TH400 trans. Just when I think I got things figured out the ol stick in the front spokes shows up and over I go :( . Thanks for any help or info you guys can give me......I might have a 12* Casale V-drive for sale at a good price :D .
Thanks Again,
Chris.

steveo143
11-18-2007, 06:42 PM
Use an angle finder and check the cases. I think in an old thread, Mitch stated that some 10* cases were marked 62500.

pebo
11-18-2007, 08:51 PM
Did a search on Case ID,
The answer to a simple question that comes up often is, if the first two numbers on the V-Drive case are 62 then its a 12 degree V-Drive, if the first two numbers on the case are 61 then its a 10 degree V-Drive.

sawtooth
11-18-2007, 10:30 PM
I did check the case with my digital protractor and it is a 12* :confused:

SnoC653
11-19-2007, 06:59 AM
You need to either get new gears for the 12* case or a new case for the 10* gears. Running the 10* gears in that case will cause binding which could cause a catastrophic failure of the case (this means it could explode right beside you). If it were me and I wanted to use this case, I'd send it and all the parts to someone like JJ or one of Mitch's dealers to check all the other parts and make sure it is put together correctly. If it has 10* gears does it have the right shafts and bearings? At least you found it before you ran it.

Icarus prospector
11-19-2007, 07:19 AM
Let me know if you need a complete 12 degree case with real 12 degree internals. Motivated to sell.

Rexone
11-19-2007, 10:58 AM
Here's one member's results of the other way around on the 10-12 deal.
I would not recommend it going either way as tooth contact "will not" be correct even if goes around and seems to work.
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/SUC50296.JPG

Moneypitt
11-19-2007, 12:13 PM
Driver OK? That looks expensive.........Not to mention LOUD. That thing HAD to be making some awful noise before it scattered...........MP

Rexone
11-19-2007, 12:22 PM
Driver OK? That looks expensive.........Not to mention LOUD. That thing HAD to be making some awful noise before it scattered...........MP
Yes one would think so. Don't know any details, another member posted it awhile back.

Schiada76
11-19-2007, 12:32 PM
What # are those gears? Are they for sale?:confused: :jawdrop: :D

469 the coyote
11-19-2007, 01:06 PM
That pic was of a 10 degree box with 12 degree gears. You can run 10 degree gears in a 12 degree box with out any problems. It will not work the other way and will end up looking like the pic.

Mr. V-Driver
11-19-2007, 01:16 PM
Here's one member's results of the other way around on the 10-12 deal.
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/SUC50296.JPG
OUCH!!! That'z a NO NO.................
Only same gears work in same case. 8*gears- 8* case, 10*gears-10*case, 12*gears-12*case, 0* gears parallel-0*case parallel. :)

SnoC653
11-19-2007, 04:41 PM
OUCH!!! That'z a NO NO.................
Only same gears work in same case. 8*gears- 8* case, 10*gears-10*case, 12*gears-12*case, 0* gears parallel-0*case parallel. :)
there you go, straight from the horses mouth. If Casale says don't do it, I don't think I'd do it. When those things break the parts have to fly somewhere. How much luck do you have VS doing the job right the 1st time?

Warp Factor
11-19-2007, 04:41 PM
What # are those gears? Are they for sale?:confused: :jawdrop: :D
I'll sell you the 10 degree gears that were in a 12 degree case when I bought my boat. Cheap! :D

Fiat48
11-19-2007, 06:01 PM
There was nothing noise wise out of the V drive when it had those wrong gears in it. I drove that boat many passes at 109 mph. Mike (owner of the boat) is very picky and keeps his stuff immaculate. And he also has a Hydro so he would notice noises out of the V drive that were out of the norm.
Near as we can figure by the length of time he has had this boat....we figure it took about 50 passes before it exploded.
No noise. No warning. Just explosion. At well over 100 mph. Nobody got hurt.
Don't let it happen to you.

sawtooth
11-19-2007, 07:38 PM
WOW, that pic mike (Rex) posted made my stomach churn and I think I threw up a little in my mouth :jawdrop: . Thanks for the help on the first part, I would not have put this back together again like it was and I would also have somebody thats really in the know do it. So how about the installation question, the location of and the angle of the strut is what places the V-drive correct ? With a 12* V-drive it would just sit a little bit higher with a slight tilt forward......no?

sawtooth
11-19-2007, 07:45 PM
Let me know if you need a complete 12 degree case with real 12 degree internals. Motivated to sell.
Thanks Icarus, But what it looks like I will do is buy some 12* gears and have this deal profesionaly gone thru and put back together, new bearings, new seals the works. Then if it is something that I can use for my project I will, if not I will sell it at a very good price and find a complete 10*.....like I thought I had :mad: .

Blown to the Bone
11-19-2007, 08:17 PM
I'm working on a 72 sanger flat has a 62500 case. thought it was a 12° case, disambled it found 10° gears in it ! after close inspection found a stamping on the case 10° , checked it with a digital protractor it was indeed a 10°
casale? you never no for sure!

Rexone
11-19-2007, 08:28 PM
I'm working on a 72 sanger flat has a 62500 case. thought it was a 12° case, disambled it found 10° gears in it ! after close inspection found a stamping on the case 10° , checked it with a digital protractor it was indeed a 10°
casale? you never no for sure!
I agree. check it. very easy to do

sawtooth
11-20-2007, 07:12 PM
367 views and no info on set up, where's all the guys on here that set up all these fast boats........or does everybody just buy old boats redo them and bolt everything back up where it was and if it works good take credit for it :D I'm not feelin the love guys, come on sombody has to want to share setup secrets........anybody :confused:

Fiat48
11-20-2007, 07:47 PM
I see no reason why you cannot use the 12 degree box. My Cole has a 7 degree strut and a 12 degree V drive. Always been that way. Just mount the V drive to align proper to the strut/propshaft.
If you have to raise the motor slightly for alignment to the V drive so be it. Drivelines need slight angles to work universal joints properly anyway.
Is that what you need to know?

sawtooth
11-20-2007, 08:15 PM
I see no reason why you cannot use the 12 degree box. My Cole has a 7 degree strut and a 12 degree V drive. Always been that way. Just mount the V drive to align proper to the strut/propshaft.
If you have to raise the motor slightly for alignment to the V drive so be it. Drivelines need slight angles to work universal joints properly anyway.
Is that what you need to know?
Thanks Fiat48, this is what I was thinking but just wanted to bounce it off all the guys that talk about boat setup here on the boards but it seems they have all lost their memory :D or I am not in the IN crowd :idea:. Also was just wondering if this is the case for setup why everybody wants a 10* and they don't just put in a 12*

Moneypitt
11-20-2007, 10:10 PM
Thanks Fiat48, this is what I was thinking but just wanted to bounce it off all the guys that talk about boat setup here on the boards but it seems they have all lost their memory :D or I am not in the IN crowd :idea:. Also was just wondering if this is the case for setup why everybody wants a 10* and they don't just put in a 12*
Low shaft angle, and low center of gravity (2* over 20+ inches is more than you think when it comes to raising the engine higher)........Solid shaft alignment....MP

Warp Factor
11-21-2007, 02:29 AM
Here's what a driveshaft shop told me when I was setting up my boat:
For the least vibration, U-joint angles should be the same on both ends, but in opposite directions. Meaning that if the joint is 5 degrees up on one end, it should be 5 down on the other. Joints shouldn't be run straight or the rollers will wear in one spot. Can't remember exactly, but I think the recommended angle was between 2 and 7 degrees, More angle is fine, but I can't remember what was recommended as the upper limit.
So what this all means is that the gearbox angle probably isn't important if you use a normal driveshaft. What matters is that the crankshaft and input shaft on the gearbox be at the same angle, and that's controlled by your engine mounts.
The engine itself can be any height you want it, as long as the angles of the crank and gearbox input are the same, giving opposite but equal U-joint angles at each end.
So with the same propshaft angle, a 12 degree gearbox would put your engine at more of an angle than with a 10 degree gearbox.

Rexone
11-21-2007, 02:35 AM
Max recommended is about 3º. I prefer 2.
There are lots of threads on this if you do a search. There is also a link in the tech links (http://www.4x4wire.com/toyota/tech/driveline/)at the top of gear heads on driveline angle.

beaverfab
11-21-2007, 03:00 AM
Sawtooth what ratio is the 10deg gears? If there in good shape I exchange gears for 50.00 and shipping, If you want to use the 12deg box and just need gears it may be the easy way to go. There is nothing wrong with a 12deg box, 10 deg is just more popular now. thanks j.j.

sawtooth
11-21-2007, 01:04 PM
Sawtooth what ratio is the 10deg gears? If there in good shape I exchange gears for 50.00 and shipping, If you want to use the 12deg box and just need gears it may be the easy way to go. There is nothing wrong with a 12deg box, 10 deg is just more popular now. thanks j.j.
Hi J.J., the gears are 18%. I think they are in good shape, no rust and only a little pitting on the edge of a couple of the teeth. I could take pic's and email them to you if they are something you could use. What I have heard, read, and figured is a good starting place for my deal is 29% :confused: . Anyhow let me know, unless someone has a real good reason not to use the 12* case setup I will stick with it......at this point I really don't have the extra $$$$ to spend on a 10* with so much more to still buy for my project.
Thanks, Chris.

beaverfab
11-21-2007, 03:41 PM
I will look and let you know what I have. What HP are you making? The 29's may be to tall. i will get back in a few days. thanks j.j.