PDA

View Full Version : Home Air Compressor

LHC30Victory
11-18-2007, 04:49 PM
Can I get some sage advice about an air compressor for home use? I am replacing my 20 year old Sanborn compressor with an upright, belt driven, cast iron pump model. I found one at Home Depot with the Husky brand (made by Cambell Hausfeld) that fits what I want for $369. It is portable as well. Is there anything I am overlooking? I will use it primarily for impact wrenches, (light) spray guns and some D8 sanding (on rare instances)......

bonesfab
11-18-2007, 04:54 PM
Just make sure it is not direct drive. The noise will drive you and your neighbors crazy..:D

Todd969
11-18-2007, 04:57 PM
Interesting! I was just looking at something like that this week. :idea:
Good luck deciding.

redneckcharlie
11-18-2007, 05:02 PM
Take a look at what the air use(cfm) is of your most inefficient tool. Example, most da's will use around 8-10cfm at 70-75psi. I run mine at 90psi. The tools that you are probably going to use that use the most cfm are your da, air file, and spray gun. Make sure the cfm of the compressor is slightly higher than what you need. Many compressors cfm drops off when the unit gets hot. I would imagine for home use, you'd be fine with a 5horse dual stage compressor. Good luck.
Ps. The worst mistake(and most frustrating) thing you can do is buy a compressor that will not keep up with the jobs you are doing.

thatguy
11-18-2007, 05:04 PM
I looked at that one, but went with the craftsman instead. Figured it was easier warranty.
Turns out I won't need it because it has ran flawlessly for 3 years. It was the second one from the top of the line, (black) the very top one had the oilless feature I think.
Spec'd out cllose to the Ingersoll for 1/2 the price. It was around $400.00,
maybe $450.00.
The Home depot guys were pretty much jerks at the local outlet, knew nothing and did not care to help much. That was also a big factor, but I have no regrets what so ever. Just my .02
Tommy

Havasu1986
11-18-2007, 05:05 PM
Can I get some sage advice about an air compressor for home use? I am replacing my 20 year old Sanborn compressor with an upright, belt driven, cast iron pump model. I found one at Home Depot with the Husky brand (made by Cambell Hausfeld) that fits what I want for $369. It is portable as well. Is there anything I am overlooking? I will use it primarily for impact wrenches, (light) spray guns and some D8 sanding (on rare instances)......
I have the 20 gallon Cambell Hausfield at my house in Y.L. and Havasu. No problems here.

Cheap Thrills
11-18-2007, 05:15 PM
Just make sure it is not direct drive. The noise will drive you and your neighbors crazy..:D
Ditto on the oil less direct drive. Plus they always seem to come on at the most inopportune time like when you're in full concentration into some intricate work on a high voltage power supply while it's still plugged in. :220v:
Got a nice scar from that one
T.

Classic Daycruiser
11-18-2007, 05:20 PM
Harbor Freight http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/retail_stores.taf

OCMerrill
11-18-2007, 05:32 PM
I have about a years time on one of these.
http://www.dewalt.com//ProductImages/PC_Graphics/PHOTOS/DEWALT/TOOLS/MEDIUM/5/D55168_1.gif
http://www.dewalt.com/us/products/tool_detail.asp?productID=15014
It's belt drive and very compact. 200 psi tank pressure. 78 dB's so it's pretty quiet.

ULTRA26 # 1
11-18-2007, 05:49 PM
I have the 5 hp 26 gallon Husky from HD, and it's worked perfectly for almost 3 years.

snake321
11-18-2007, 07:02 PM
I have 80 gals. in my basement piped underground to the garage about 75 feet away.

YeLLowBoaT
11-18-2007, 07:06 PM
I've got a 25 gallon and a DA will eat up the air really fast out of it... I had mine rebuilt with a 100% duty cycle motor so its not a big deal, but the cheaper model compressors will not have that type of duty cycle. So it will be, sand for 2 mins, wait, sand,... gets very anoying fast.

BrendellaJet
11-18-2007, 07:07 PM
dont go with the oil-less. BIG mistake. NOISY!:mad:

The Doctor
11-18-2007, 07:13 PM
Good advice above! I'll say one more thing-if possible permanently mount it outside your shop and pipe the air in. You can then get some distance between the unit and your work area which accomplishes a number of positives. First, it lets you put a water filter at the end of the line which saves your tools and especially your painting. Next it adds convenience to your air usage just walking to the wall and plugging in. Also, it puts the noise outside which really enhances the stereo enjoyment in the shop. I built a metal frame with a sunbrella cover for mine (which is the biggest of the Husky ((CH)) units sold at Tony Stewartland) and it has been weatherproofed and functions flawlessly.

LHC30Victory
11-18-2007, 07:36 PM
I looked at the DeWalt model, but didn't want the oil less compressor.... Can anyone tell me about how quiet the DeWalt is compared to the Husky 26 gal model????

ULTRA26 # 1
11-18-2007, 08:26 PM
I looked at the DeWalt model, but didn't want the oil less compressor.... Can anyone tell me about how quiet the DeWalt is compared to the Husky 26 gal model????
The Husky 5hp 26 is fairly quiet.

Marty Gras
11-18-2007, 08:34 PM
I've got an 7HP, 60GAL, 11.8 SCFM, Husky from HD. It is just enough to run a DA, or a long board without stopping. It stays up with all of my spray guns and needs to be mounted "outside", because it is not very quiet. Around $425.00 @ Home Dump If you have the space, install the new unit and include the tank from your old one. This will double your volume and cut the 'cycling' in half.