PDA

View Full Version : The purpose

jshreeves7
04-14-2001, 05:23 AM
I have been doing some research into the purpose behind the performance sport boat such as those built by Fountain, Cigarette, Cobra, etc. I was interested to hear what others think about these speed boats that are built to be the fastest on the water. Why would someone buy this type of vessel? Any thoughts? I am writing a paper which is going to discuss the purpose, problems, and benifits of this type of craft. Thannks

fat rat
04-14-2001, 10:45 AM
I hate to answere a question with a question but why do people buy 180 mph motorcycles and cars? I think for some of us its just the need to go fast or faster than the next guy. I think as humans we're competitive in nature, rather it be physical for example track and field, or NASCAR racing, or the fastest/nicest what ever we drive. Its more of an individual thing. Just my uneducated two cents worth.

slowride
05-18-2001, 06:38 AM
I agree with fat rat. my boats faster than
your boat? well maybe. EGO!!! drives us.
although it may just be a love of speed.
50/50. my .02$

spectras only
05-18-2001, 08:13 AM
I refer to Fat Rat,question with a question,Why that assie Kirby wants to beat his own record on water since nobody could do it yet[315MPH].Lee Taylor died on Lake Tahoe trying it,Lee Mizer given up trying with his rocket powered built boat[ he never tried it yet,capable of running close to 500MPH]since it's practically an aeroplan and needed a joystick rather than a wheel to steer.Craig Breedlove may die trying to beat Nobleman's record one day.Why the auto manufacturers build cars,like Viper,Corvette ,McLaren etc when we don't even have proper roads for them in North America? Why do I upgrade my Mustang GT constantly when it's doing 3 times the legal speed? It's for the sheer enjoyment of acceleration mainly!

dirtlawyer
06-12-2001, 08:36 AM
its the exhilaration that comes with the edge of your pants speed - to me its the best release after a stressful work week.
another reason - I want to get to the hot spots fast - I don't want to spend 3 hours to go 60 miles. Don't get me wrong I love to be on the water, but slow is no fun for me...

RiverDave
06-12-2001, 02:44 PM
jshreeves, I have a pretty simple answer to your question. Generally the guys that have the money to buy those kinds of boats work hard, so they play hard. Not to menchion a few other factors in this, what else would you buy with the money? Being a younger male such as myself and single I enjoy boating plus a performance boat has many uses other then going fast, it is the only known and proven aphrodesiac in my opinion. If you have ever been to Parker then you would know that Boats and Alchohol are a powerful combination. (lamens: boats get women) and there is something about "powerboating or ***boating" in particular that's just, I don't know, how to explain it. I'll try, I could be by myself cruising in the middle of the night on a slow plane listening to the humm of a big block, on perfectly glassy water, and that's just perfect! I can't think of anything else I'd rather be doing. Or atleast not anything I want to talk about on this forum!! http://free.***boat.net/ubb/smile.gif The only thing that makes that whole scene a little better is when you have some lil blondie sitting next to you (that probably wouldn't be sitting next to you in other circumstances) that you just picked up from Road runner, then dropping anchor for a few hours. If after all that you still don't understand then I go with the Harley Davidson approach. If you have to ask you wouldn't understand. RiverDave.

RumRunner
06-14-2001, 05:46 PM
I agree with the play hard attitude, and the big boys toys, but here maybe another more realistic reason for the lesser expensive sport boats (less than 6 figures) I've still got my drivers license (barely) and risk loosing it on a daily basis when I feel the need to blow off a little steam. I can jump in my boat and go run 100 + leagally, and it feels like going 200 in a car. Not a bad ride.

MrHavasuCat
07-25-2001, 01:40 PM
I agree with everything everybody has said. As far as fastest goes, you better take cigarette off the list. cigarette is all about status. There are much faster v- hulls being built.

boatless
07-26-2001, 05:58 AM
I also agree with everyone. I am looking for a 35-38 ft boat and I know it won't be the fastest (no inheritance). I love the speed and comfort of a larger boat. For what we do, spending 2-5 days on the lakes or oceans you can't beat the freedom of just haulin ass offshore! Its a third home.