PDA

View Full Version : Place Diverter Problems!!

WETDAWG
06-30-2003, 12:37 PM
I know there have been a lot of threads on the place diverter, but I have never before encountered this problem, My Hydraulic lines from my pump to the thru hull junction keep getting burn holes in them. I swear that there is nothing in the way that can burn them ,,,but it still happens! :confused:
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/98Cable_1-med.JPG
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/98Cable2-med.JPG
They just keep burning. The only thing I can think of is that there is a leak from my exhaust that is POURING hot water on them????
Any ideas? It only takes about 1 hour of driving before they quit, It's getting expensive :mad: :mad:
[ June 30, 2003, 02:12 PM: Message edited by: WETDAWG ]

JayBee
06-30-2003, 12:57 PM
Looks like you have some serious current flowing through the SS baid on that hose! I've seen it happen with braided SS fuel lines on cars - there is a problem with a bad ground somewhere so the current goes through the path of least resistance - the braided hose! We had a car once with a dozen pin holes squirting gasoline through them and they were BURNED into the hose by a ground problem!
At any rate, I'd start checking out all of your grounds - for some reason it looks like current is going through that hose.
Jason

WETDAWG
06-30-2003, 01:02 PM
Jason,
You Think? Maybe I shoud Gound the Crap out of the pump. I cant imagine that much current out of a pump though?
[ June 30, 2003, 02:03 PM: Message edited by: WETDAWG ]

JayBee
06-30-2003, 01:12 PM
It sounds like a weird place for current to be flowing, but I don't think there is any other way to get enough heat to burn the hose like that. It would about have to be inside the exhaust header for the exhaust to do it - and there is no way hot water would do it...
I wonder if there is something wrong in the hydraulic unit itself, like a shorted winding in the motor that is then "electrifying" the hoses and it's grounding out at the transom adapter??
I know - sounds weird - but about the only possibility I could think of!
Jason
PS - when you do figure it out I'd like to hear what it was!

WETDAWG
06-30-2003, 01:15 PM
JASON,
I am not doubting you as I will try anything at this point. I will let you know what I find.

miller19j
06-30-2003, 01:15 PM
Did all the lines burn in the same place?

miller19j
06-30-2003, 01:17 PM
How close to the battery terminals are the lines? They could be bouncing into your battery terminal and causing a short.

WETDAWG
06-30-2003, 01:18 PM
That's the wierd thing. They burn in different spots and I relocated both hoses this last time,
I am running out of options & hoses :mad:

WETDAWG
06-30-2003, 01:20 PM
Shoot that might be it
I'll take a pic and post it in a minute
I just put in a new stereo

WETDAWG
06-30-2003, 01:28 PM
Here are a couple of Pics
I put a SS heater hose over the Hydraulic line this time (have,t tested it yet.
It looks like my AUX battery cable may be hitting the pump causing the short that Jason was talking about, I am gonna relocate everything and give it a shot
Thanks Guys
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/98cable_4.JPG
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/98Cable3.JPG

jet4fun
06-30-2003, 02:23 PM
try that hard plastic line and see what happens... thats what i have
call place too, maybe theyve seen this before

hack job
06-30-2003, 04:08 PM
i had that hard palstic stuff and it would melt if it got close to anything remotely warm. i would stay with the braided. but make sure its not touching anthing electric or for that mater any thing that is touching anything electric wink
[ June 30, 2003, 05:09 PM: Message edited by: hack job ]

MarKist
06-30-2003, 05:57 PM
yep, you was rite the 1st time! its the hot water from the header.. ever saw the bottom of chrome headers?.. stained from hot water

HotHallet
07-01-2003, 11:30 AM
Put a mans diverter on that boat! Running a manual is the only way to go. Don't take personal just razzing you!

WETDAWG
07-01-2003, 04:13 PM
HH,
Cause of the leak s I've had...............It is a manual
I just have to stop to adjust it :D