PDA

View Full Version : GEM Vehicles

speedneeder
11-20-2007, 11:28 AM
Anybody have any experience or knowledge as to pros and cons of GEM vehicle. It will be used 100% for in town use on streets. Thanks.

BoatPI
11-20-2007, 11:55 AM
I CA you cannot use it on a road with speed limits higher than 35 MPH.

WishIknew
11-20-2007, 01:04 PM
I think you can use it on any street just not on a highway or freeway:idea:

bilgewiper
11-20-2007, 01:24 PM
My parents have one here in N.Ca. that they bought when they first came out a few years ago (5-6?). I have driven it a few times on the streets around their place that are 35mph streets. It's a hoot to drive but those 35mph streets have cars pushing 55mph on them and it's scary. But then again I sold my motorcycle cause all those "other" cars scared me too many times.

Caljamr
11-20-2007, 01:27 PM
It looks like 35 mph is the limit. But that has to be the ugliest thing i've ever seen. IMO. A Prius is pimp roller in comparison. IMO. ;)
The 2008 GEM Line of Vehicles
GEM e2
GEM e4
GEM e6
GEM eS
GEM eL
GEM eL XD
GEM battery-electric vehicles are classified as low-speed vehicles, or neighborhood electric vehicles, and are street legal in nearly all 50 states on public roads posted at 35 mph or less. With a top speed of 25 mph, GEM cars have a range of up to 30 miles on a chargeĀ¹ and are great for traveling around neighborhoods, city centers or job sites. GEM vehicles are battery-electric, operate on a 72-volt battery system and plug into a standard 110-volt outlet. What makes GEM vehicles so unique is that they can be recharged anytime, anywhere a 110-volt outlet is available and recharge in approximately six to eight hoursĀ².

speedneeder
11-20-2007, 01:32 PM
Well, I was comparing to a plated golf cart, not a regular car.

Caljamr
11-20-2007, 01:47 PM
Actually thinking about it more it would be nice in certain applications. I would like to have one for work. Our campus is getting pretty big and it would be nice. We have electric carts to use on the manufacturing floor because you can spend half your day walking instead of working.

2Driver
11-20-2007, 02:29 PM
We bought 2 during the big tax credit give away in AZ, so they ended up being almost free. We kept one at our place in Parker and one here in Carefree. We have since sold both.
They will do 35 MPH with a slight modification and you can get taller tires. AZ says you can't go anywhere where there is a more than a 35 speed limit. We liked ours for what they were. Batteries can be expensive and I never had the GEM go the distance on a charge that they say they will.
For an electric street mobile it was fun.

Sleek316
11-20-2007, 03:20 PM
I am very satisfied with my GEM overall. Top speed stock is 25MPH and you can get 25 miles on a charge. Like everything pros & cons mostly pro. Nice haveing an extra street legal vehicle while in town.

LhcBrad
11-20-2007, 03:31 PM
Here is a link to GEM http://www.gemcar.com/models/