PDA

View Full Version : Ignition setup

Foolish
07-12-2003, 08:17 PM
Although a MSD billet distributor and a 6AL setup would be awesome I just don't have the $$$ right now to fork it over.
I have been looking at getting the pertronix setup or the crane XR-1. I am leaning towards the crane one as its all nice and sealed, comes with a rev limiter, AND its about $30 cheaper!
http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?part=CRN%2D750%2D1710
Anyone tried this yet? Looking for some feedback cause need to order something by tomorrow.
[ July 12, 2003, 09:23 PM: Message edited by: Foolish ]

victorfb
07-12-2003, 08:21 PM
i run the petronix in the boat and buggy both. it works awsome. trouble free and have had em for many years. id do it again if need be.
the crane i havnt tried. but im sure they are just as good if not better. (since it has a rev limiter)

victorfb
07-12-2003, 08:24 PM
not sure what you got now, but i can tell ya this. having YOUR distributor re-curved by a professional is the way to go. alot of ponies can be found by that. just a suggestion.

Moneypitt
07-12-2003, 09:06 PM
Is this ignition for the same motor that has the 2 barrel heads? I agree that reusing, after curving, your original will work fine unless your trying to fire something really exotic at a very high pressure. I've got a olds stocker in my hydro, just a weight and spring kit, and it seems to do the job quite well.. I'd say spent the $$ somewhere else. If you later discover the dist is holding you back, its simple to change.....Moneypitt

Foolish
07-12-2003, 09:29 PM
Not doing it for power. I just want something a lil more reliable. Been stuck in the middle of the lake twice sitting on my transom switching out points. Yes it is the stocker.
AS far as the heads go, Mondello were the shop that said my G heads were 2 barrel heads. They love trying to sell me stuff I don't need. Not sure if the G heads are really 2 barrel heads or not as I don't trust Mondollars.

Danhercules
07-12-2003, 09:33 PM
i agree with Vic. He turned me on to the Petronix, and I love it. Boat fires up right away every time!!!!

Moneypitt
07-12-2003, 09:48 PM
Ever try to trouble shot an exotic ignition system in the middle of the lake? forget it!(see the horror stories on this site about new equiptment failures) I don't know why you've had point problems in the past, but the issue is that with limited tools you were able to get it running. Are you running a balast resistor? If not, we'll talk here and get you set up. I've ran a stock,(curved) Gm dist in a BBC for 15 yrs., with the same points, cond.,cap, rotor, plugs, and wires, and never had the slightest problem. If you are having point failures, there is something wrong....Moneypitt

victorfb
07-12-2003, 09:51 PM
never heard about 2 barrel heads. i had to replace my "K" heads with a set of "G" heads after loaning the boat out. (bad deal) but after a mild port job with a dremel i got about 500 more rpm out of the "G" heads than the "K" heads. didnt do anything to the "K"s.

Foolish
07-12-2003, 09:58 PM
Yeah Mondollars just wanted more money out of me. Even if they are 2 barrel units they have 80cc chambers and ar big valve units, found that out after snooping around.
Moneypitt, I am running a balast resistor on my coil. Not really sure why I have been blowing points, just hoping the switch to a crane or pertronix will solve it. I never really checked to see how many ohms the ballast resistor is and how much my points systems wants.

victorfb
07-12-2003, 10:20 PM
youll dig the petronix.
and the "K" heads had bigger valves than my "G" heads. thats why i did the porting. a good 3 angle valve job does wonders aswell. ive got another set of olds heads here. ill take a look at em tomorrow and see what size valves they have.

396_WAYS_TO_SPIT
07-13-2003, 10:04 AM
Foolish, I put the crane cams ignitor in my stock olds and I love it. it was cheaper and easy to install. I also had a marine shop curve my distributor. I am set for 14degrees inital and 30 degrees total. I am running low so I dont have to worry about blowing it up. As far as heads goes, my boat came with a Ka on one side and a g on the other. My machinist said they were identical. I had him do a 3 angle valve job. Here what I spent on my ignition set up for my olds.
1. Remanufactured distributor $29.99
2. Cap and rotor kit with brass inserts(Conrad)$15.99
3.Crane ignitor $69.99
4. Curve kit $6.99(Moroso)
5. Shop curve fee $ Case of coors light wink
So I spent a total of $119 plus tax and my ignition is dead on. You must have the distributor curved before you install the crane kit. Most shops have a machine for a pionts distributor. I am also running Autolite racing plugs They are Ar74's. You cant have too hot of a plug with that set up.If you have any more questions let me know.

JayBee
07-13-2003, 10:10 AM
While the Pertronix is not really a performance upgrade if your points are in proper tune it is well worth the cost! Points suck! The were invented at the beginning of the PREVIOUS century, and nobody has used them in an automotive application for the last 20 years. Even Briggs and Stratton quit using points in the early 80's! I have personally had 2 Pertronix units - one in a car and one in my boat - and have never had a bit of trouble. Several friends use them and they have never had trouble either. Very reliable, and simple to install. And, I would assume the Crane is pretty much the same.
Jason

Foolish
07-14-2003, 10:02 AM
Went with the Pertronix Ignitor II, I ordered the Crane XR-i which they said would work for a 455 :rolleyes: . I called Crane about a coil and they said the XR-i would not work on counterclowise dists. I called summit back and switched the products. Also ordered the Moroso recurve kit and a Blaster 3 coil. Can't wait :)
I went with the Ignitor II over the regular Ignitor cause the II is epoxy sealed (that was the main reason at least).
[ July 14, 2003, 11:07 AM: Message edited by: Foolish ]

victorfb
07-14-2003, 10:33 AM
great. im sure youll dig what you ordered. ive been very happy with my set up. they didnt have the igniter II when i purchased mine. but its still working great. blaster coil and a nice set of wires. should be good to go.

HammerDown
07-14-2003, 11:43 AM
I'd have to agree with Monypit...as great as all these hi-tech Ignition Systems appear to be.
I've been runing a Mallory Dual point Distributor in my Jet for almost 7 years now...I've NEVER had any issues with it, EVER! It fires the boat immediately...the dwell hasent move one degree in 2 years of running. And for my 468 that only turns 5300...its just fine. When dual points are set up correctly, and there is a way to set them up...there fine, and far from junk!
HOWEVER...if I was able to fit the Pertronix or Crane unit in my YL Mallory...I belive I'd go for that????
But after seeing how my friends High Dollar MSD 6M Box Failed in under 50 hours of use...no way...not for me.
Now if I had some Exotic 9000 RPM motor...thats another issue thats demands the Hi-end Boxes.

checkmate76
07-15-2003, 10:54 AM
Does crane or petronix make an electronic conversion for a Prestolite distributor?
although it hasn't givin me much trouble in the past 20 years, this is the stock set up for my 76 Checkmate 460 Ford. will I see much improvement by coverting to electronic?

roostwear
07-15-2003, 11:38 AM
They make a conversion for both v-8 Prestolites. I never bothered to try to fire my Advantage with the points. As soon as I bought it, I converted it.
http://store.summitracing.com/default.asp?target=search.asp&type=bykeyword&searchtype=both&part=ignitor

victorfb
07-15-2003, 09:25 PM
Not sure about crane, but petronix does make a set up for the mallory duell point. and i agree. if the duell point is workin for ya, then put your money somewere else. (in my pocket would be nice) but since the points have been giving him problems, i recomend the switch. besides, if your points get wet, they will fail. not the petronix. just a little insurance.

Jet City
07-15-2003, 10:53 PM
I've got a Pertronix kit in my re-curved Prestolite, run it at 34 degrees total with a MSD Blaster 2 coil and wires firing Autolite 25's gapped at .040. I have had this set-up on my 460 for 3 years and have had no reliability issues. I never had problems with points either, just wanted to try something different, mine needed the re-curve far more than the Pertronix.