PDA

View Full Version : New Heavy Duty 455 Olds Blocks

oldsguru
12-11-2002, 09:52 PM
Hello all, My name is Nick Filippides and I'm new to your board. I'm here to give you guys some information regarding new oldsmobile 455 blocks. I was told that there were some serious diehard Jetboat fans that run 455's. I've been drag racing Oldsmobile's for almost twenty years which classifies me as diehard as well. Currently I'm running a 498" Olds with Batten heads, sheetmetal intake, 1 dominator with almost 14.5 compression. The block is a Mondello prepped F1 casting with a girdle. On the dyno the engine made 843hp and 701ft lbs. Unfortunately this engine goes into my 64 Olds Cutlass (not a jet boat) but at 3700lbs. it's more like a yacht.
Well here's the scoop. About a month ago I was on the phone with one of my customers (I have a mail order buisiness and I sell exhaust X- crossovers) and he mentioned to me that he's about finished with a new heavy duty 455 Buick block. He filled me in on how the whole project came together and how a 455 Oldsmobile can become a reality as well. He explained to me that it wasn't that difficult when you get the right people involved. He contracted the same gentleman who did all the design and engineering work for Indy Cylinder Head. Together they redesigned a block that addressed all the weaknesses inherent in Buick engines. For those who don't know there are quite a few. They took their plans to a foundry where a core box was made. That was 9 month's ago. The new blocks are literally weeks away from being delivered. Preliminary results show a truly outstanding piece. The Buick community was in desperate need of these heavy duty blocks. I feel that the Olds community would benefit greatly with a block that can handle anything you can throw at it. Obviously careful planning will be nessesary to make sure all weaknesses are addressed. This includes the main webbing,the oiling system, weak pan rails etc. Upgrades would include 4 bolt main caps, siamese bores, 1/2" head bolts standard, 4.250 bore standard with a maximum of 4.375, added material in the lifter bore area, etc...
I've taken the initiative to try and get this project to happen. I am currently trying to get racers/boaters who are diehard Olds power enthusiasts to possibly commit to purchasing a block. Twenty Five guys are all I need to get this project underway. I've have 9 commitments to date. The blocks will sell for $3800.00. A deposit of $2000.00 will put you on the list. I know this is a lot to swollow all at once so I'll leave you my e-mail address and phone number if any of you are truly interested. My e-mail address is oldsguru@aol.com and my home phone number is 631-477-3310. Guys I am a very honest and sincere individual. I've made my name racing Oldsmobiles all over the country. My reputation is extremely important to me. I'm doing this for the greater good of all those who love Olds power. Thanx Nick Filippides

Old Guy
12-11-2002, 10:03 PM
I've been running a 455 (462) for a little more than 10 years. I really like it, however I'm a little old and a lot underfunded (retired) to go for your program. I hope you can make it work. I sounds like a really great idea.
Good luck Nick.
old

B - 40
12-12-2002, 08:37 AM
Nick, what kind of displacement will these new blocks handle?

oldsguru
12-12-2002, 12:02 PM
B-40, the engine will go 540" with no problem.
nick

B - 40
12-12-2002, 01:10 PM
What is different about the oiling system? Is it going to be a priority main style? What kind of power is this thing supposed to handle?

oldsguru
12-12-2002, 06:51 PM
B-40 the oiling system on an olds engine is priority main. The routing and dimentions of the galleys will be changed. Honestly I have to sit down with the engineer and really plot out a design for the oiling system. I haven't gotten to that point yet because of all the time I'm spending finding interested parties. Rest assured that the oiling system will be completely sorted out. As far as power is concerned,the limitation will be the cylinder head. A fully ported set of edelbrock heads will flow 320 to 330cfm. Bolt them on a 500 plus inch motor with some compression and the right cam and you'll make 750hp without batting an eye.Torque will probably be between 650 and 700ft.lbs. depending on how big the motor is. All that in a reliable block that can take a pounding and keep coming back for more. I have work to do obviously. If you know any guys who run Olds engines and aren't on this board please help me spread the word.
Thanx Nick Filippides

Omega21
12-13-2002, 06:13 PM
I knew the ROP guys were snoopin around here...
Todd

B - 40
12-18-2002, 10:22 AM
Nick, how is this going?

project-speed
12-22-2002, 01:06 PM
How does mondello feel about the idea? I'd think they would want a piece of that action. $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Blownolds
12-25-2002, 07:50 PM
Joe could probably care less. He's basically retired. Lynn on the other hand, probably hates it because he can't make any money on the deal. Plus he probably hates the fact that so many people have learned how to go faster than ever before without one single Mondo part in their engines...
Just another ROP guy here...