PDA

View Full Version : Manual or Hydraulic Place?

DirtyBob
05-31-2002, 10:49 AM
I'm in the process of trying to clean up the CHUPACABRA, and I want to add a diverter to my pump. A buddy of mine tried to sell me on the fact that the manual diverters are better, because you can move them where you want them quicker than it takes the hydraulic unit to get there. Is this horseshit, or is there some truth to it?
I definately like the price of the manual system over the hydraulic.

hoolign
05-31-2002, 11:30 AM
A manual diverter reacts as fast as you can push it ,or pull it,plus it has different locked settings,so you always know where it is going to be at a certain setting,the hydraulic ones have more adjustment but take a few seconds to react,you'll need to install a trim indicator to have the same"settings" to know where your nozzle is pointed.Plus more things to go wrong with hydraulics.
I like the manual setup.

jetboatjake
05-31-2002, 11:55 AM
Pleasure boat hyd. your floor is not cluttered up. Hi Perf go manual exact same position quickly.
My 2cents
Rob

mud duck
05-31-2002, 12:37 PM
My trim indicator has never worked, so you just go by feel, which isn't that hard. And I can watch the rooster in the mirror to better gauge what I am shooting (how I might look to the other spectators).
Has anyone had success with their trim indicator lasting a long time?

DickDanger
05-31-2002, 12:37 PM
Gotta agree with the manual PD. It does take up more room, but also reacts quicker. I installed mine on the drivers side stringer of the boat, just to the inside of my right knee.....easily accessible. -DD out

Hallett19
05-31-2002, 12:44 PM
I like the hyd. alot, very easy, very cool, but I think there is more range of movement with the manual and you never have to worry about your hydraulics going bad and being stuck with your nose in the water or vice versa.

jet496
05-31-2002, 03:50 PM
I wouldn't think range of movement would be an issue. Mine hits at the bottom & the top. I'm getting all the movement possible with the electric/hydraulic. I'm actually thinking of grinding alittle to get even more movement for a bigger rooster & more "down" to keep my front end down since I put the droop snoot on (which I love-Monster rooster & gained a couple mph).
My friend just asked me to help him replace his manual with a hydraulic. I've never even seen a manual before. Looks pretty easy though.
Any tips on replacing?

turbo
05-31-2002, 03:59 PM
I have hyd. setup. can't imagine needing it to react any faster. had it for 8 years no problems.

ChetCapoli
05-31-2002, 07:56 PM
Originally posted by jetboatjake:
Hi Perf go manual exact same position quickly.
My 2cents
Rob[/B]
Let me ask ya, when your running over 80mph(my idea of hi-perf), lets say..do you have time to look down and grab that handle to adjust the roost?? I wouldnt' think so. From what i understand you gotta have a big ol bicept to move that handle when your foot is to the floor, back stuffed in the seat and your reachin for the handle with all that thrust at the nozzle. Besides for a $100 or so more it's a no brainer to go with the hydraulic setup with button on the wheel anyway. Machine over manpower, that's why they designed it.
Chet

DirtyBob
06-01-2002, 04:59 AM
I already have trim tabs set up on the boat from a previous owner, do think it would be possible to just use the hydraulic set up I already have to run the diverter?