PDA

View Full Version : Hot Boat chemical guys...

Baja Big Dog
11-21-2007, 08:11 PM
What is the chemical in the brake cleaner? The fast drying like "Castrol metal parts cleaner" type stuff. The cans say the typical "petroleum distillates" as the contents.
I want to use it higher pressure hand sprayers. I go through two cans a day...shit is expensive!!!
Yea it also cleans crack pipes very well!!!

Cheap Thrills
11-21-2007, 08:29 PM
d-Limonene 7
Isopropyl alcohol
(Isopropanol)
Heptane 26
Xylene 27
Acetone 30
Methanol 32
1,1,1-Trichloroethane 34
Ethyl Benzene 37
Hexane 41
Methyl ethyl ketone 43
Methyl isobutyl ketone 44
Petroleum naphtha 50
Toluene 53
Trichloroethylene 56
Perchloroethylene 84
Methylene chloride 109
It's the Methyl Chloride you're looking for :D
T.

Baja Big Dog
11-21-2007, 09:01 PM
d-Limonene 7
Isopropyl alcohol
(Isopropanol)
Heptane 26
Xylene 27
Acetone 30
Methanol 32
1,1,1-Trichloroethane 34
Ethyl Benzene 37
Hexane 41
Methyl ethyl ketone 43
Methyl isobutyl ketone 44
Petroleum naphtha 50
Toluene 53
Trichloroethylene 56
Perchloroethylene 84
Methylene chloride 109
It's the Methyl Chloride you're looking for :D
T.
Computers and chemicals....you amaze me!!!

Cheap Thrills
11-21-2007, 09:11 PM
Computers and chemicals....you amaze me!!!
Ahh young grasshoppah ,,, The computer Led me to the Chemicals ;)
T. :D

sorry dog
11-21-2007, 11:36 PM
Ahh young grasshoppah ,,, The computer Led me to the Chemicals ;)
T. :D
Same thing here...or at least a better knowledge of them.
I like some of the ones you listed but I prefer ones that are or came from racemic form. :)
...I still dream of that hot ass little chemistry partner I had for a while ...:sleeping:

502 JET
11-22-2007, 06:56 AM
I always feel safe using products that have on the can "Known to the state of California to cause Cancer".:)
Three thousand miles away I should have no worries.:D
I use Naphtha in my parts washer and it works great. You could use it in a sprayer with some acetone. The acetone would make it dry faster. The Naphtha by it self dries pretty fast in warm temps or by blowing the part off with compressed air.
Of course I'm no chemist so you'll have to experiment with the quantities of each. Also be aware that this stuff is highly flammable.

boatnam2
11-22-2007, 09:00 AM
I would be careful on a few on that list like MEK.Cleaners are kinda funny big one back in the day was benzene nothing cleaned better are dried better guys use to clean the crude off there overalls all the time,now to even be around it is fresh air only full mask and the guys who used it are gone or doing kemo!

hugh jascock
11-22-2007, 10:31 AM
the best solvent/degreaser is the 111 triclorethane. i believe it is hard to come by now due to epa rules. try to limit skin contact/inhalation as the stuff is bad for you. hey boatnam, im an old refinery guy too. union millwright, gods chosen few!

Baja Big Dog
11-22-2007, 12:56 PM
Baja, what are you using it for and where are you located?
Rio
We use it on motorcycles, I have about 20 of them for tours, and we use the shit out of this stuff, its the best!!
Im in Anaheim, 91 and 57.

Baja Big Dog
11-22-2007, 01:02 PM
I always feel safe using products that have on the can "Known to the state of California to cause Cancer".:)
Three thousand miles away I should have no worries.:D
I use Naphtha in my parts washer and it works great. You could use it in a sprayer with some acetone. The acetone would make it dry faster. The Naphtha by it self dries pretty fast in warm temps or by blowing the part off with compressed air.
Of course I'm no chemist so you'll have to experiment with the quantities of each. Also be aware that this stuff is highly flammable.
Thats no shit, cleaned off a front fender yesterday, and shot it with some degreaser, and hit it with the propane touch to smooth out some scratches, POOF...lit it up pretty well. Its like lighter fluid, it went out right away!!!
It reminds me of the school assembly we had in 3rd or 4th grade, the fire dept came in to tell us about fire, one thing they showed us was how dangerous hair spray was, they lit a match and hit it with the hair spray.........needless to say, me and the bro's hauled ass home that day and lit up the back yard with moms hair spray!!!! That was some neat stuff.....:D

Jbb
11-22-2007, 01:10 PM
Recreational chemicals....:D

Wet Dream
11-22-2007, 06:22 PM
The hexane is what sucks any and all moisture out of your skin, turning it chalky white, yet leaving a tingley sensation. ;)

DansBlown73Nordic
11-23-2007, 02:12 AM
This CRACKS ME UP!!!!!
It reminds me of the school assembly we had in 3rd or 4th grade, the fire dept came in to tell us about fire, one thing they showed us was how dangerous hair spray was, they lit a match and hit it with the hair spray.........needless to say, me and the bro's hauled ass home that day and lit up the back yard with moms hair spray!!!! That was some neat stuff.....: