PDA

View Full Version : Radio Mount

Taylorman
03-04-2006, 08:24 PM
Im looking to put a stereo in my boat. Nothing fancy, just a cd deck and a couple of small speakers under the deck. Im looking at how to mount the radio in the dash. I have the space to the right of my gauges, i just can't figure out how to mount the radio in. I looked at West Marine today for a mount that will work on a jet boat. Because their is no way to support the back of the radio, im looking for a mount that will screw into the dash which the fully support the radio. Any ideas?

'78Konajet
03-04-2006, 08:34 PM
I got one from Overton's, has a waterproof retractable cover.

LGCDEVIL
03-04-2006, 08:50 PM
Don't cut the dash

Greaser
03-04-2006, 08:56 PM
Im looking to put a stereo in my boat. Nothing fancy, just a cd deck and a couple of small speakers under the deck. Im looking at how to mount the radio in the dash. I have the space to the right of my gauges, i just can't figure out how to mount the radio in. I looked at West Marine today for a mount that will work on a jet boat. Because their is no way to support the back of the radio, im looking for a mount that will screw into the dash which the fully support the radio. Any ideas?
Doesnt your boat have a "Dry Box" under the dash,mounted to the floor between the passenger seats? (If I remember correctly) Why not install it in there. I cut my dash to install a stereo, and regret it.

malcolm
03-04-2006, 10:59 PM
I want to do the same thing but don't want to cut the dash. Probably end up building a small box to attach to the bulkhead under the dash.

boater012
03-05-2006, 12:06 AM
Why not under the driver seat if you have room?? they sell a couple cd players that whole face opens and you can work the radio that way or by the remote?? When the face opens it opens so that you can see the screen from the drivers seat! :crossx: my.02

victorfb
03-05-2006, 01:30 AM
dont cut the dash. mount it under the deck somehow. use your imagination. on my rogers i have side panels that go all the way up to the bulk head. they have cut outs for a pocket to store small items. i mounted the single CD player just passed the pockets. its not easy to reach, but i bought a player that has a remote. plus i didnt have to cut the boat. just the wood/carpeted side panel. and no need for a water proof face cover.

sleekcrafter
03-05-2006, 05:24 AM
If I get around to it, this year, probly not. I plan to install a four chanel amp with crossovers, four speakers,and use just an Ipod, with line drivers. They make an add on for the Ipod, to make it controlled by an RF remote. I dont think I'd ever cut a dash again in a smaller boat.
Sleek

Taylorman
03-05-2006, 06:27 AM
If my boat did not have this clock in the dash, i would not cut it. However, the previous owner installed this clock in the dash. Its just a little smaller than a radio so im gonna open up the hole a little and put a radio there.
http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b334/vidrinek/Boat/DCP_5621.jpg

Riverat84
03-05-2006, 07:45 AM
yeah guys i would seriously find somewhere else to put it....especially in a narrow boat like all of ours....maybe between the driver's seat and the inside rail of the boat? thats where i might stuff it. just my .02

Greaser
03-05-2006, 07:50 AM
If my boat did not have this clock in the dash, i would not cut it. However, the previous owner installed this clock in the dash. Its just a little smaller than a radio so im gonna open up the hole a little and put a radio there.
http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b334/vidrinek/Boat/DCP_5621.jpg
I forgot that you had that clock there. I would definatly recomend a water proof cover though.

Riverat84
03-05-2006, 07:56 AM
My dash is teeeny...
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/3267P1010678.JPG

GUGS102
03-05-2006, 10:43 AM
I just went through the same decision process. Instead of putting in a CD deck, I installed a small amp, 2 6X9s in the deck under the dash and run an MP3 player to it. Thing cranks, all hidden and the driver is a 1.5" MP3 player that will go anywhere.
I had asked this same question in the AV section and got good reviews, although they recomended adding a device to boost signal output from the MP3 player. I choose not to. The sound is great and you can not see any of the equipment and no new holes in the dash. Besides, if you buy a MP3 with good memory space, you can have WAY more music than you can carry in a CD case.
Gugs

Wet Dream
03-05-2006, 02:04 PM
Taylorman, I installed one in mine. I'll have to take some pics, but with that box of yours, its gonna be in the way. I just made mine with a CD Stereo, and a 250 watt amp, all encased in the same housing, and have 2 10" woofers and a pair or tweeters in the front foot well areas. Yeah, its nice to say I have a stereo, it cranks, but you still can't hear it when your engine is running. So then you're hanging out listening to your stereo, and everyone elses, and then you go to start the boat, and need a jump start, unless you then want to add another battery, all the wiring and take on more weight that will you slow down, which you've been trying to increase speed all winter. So, I'm now in the position to remove mine, because it really doesn't do any good.

tahitijet
03-05-2006, 02:31 PM
when i built my interior i added side extensions that go under the bow a slight ways so i had little pockets between it and the side of the boat to stuff a flag and what not. I put a cd player in there. out of the way, doesn't get wet, and fairly easy to get to

Bradf
03-05-2006, 02:36 PM
I built a box out of Plexiglass (sp?) and i just let it lay under the false bottom under the deck. It was an old stereo i had laying around in the garage. Sony Xplode, 50wx4. I have one speaker hooked up. I also bought a Sirius Sat. Receiver and I hard wired a cig. light 1/8" jack into my dash so i can take the sirius radio out of my truck and use the suction cup to stick it to the dash for the day.