PDA

View Full Version : finding cam size

73 marquis
07-04-2002, 01:20 PM
anyone have an idea of how to find the cam size out, short of taking the top of the engine apart and miking the cam...marquis

jordanpaulk
07-04-2002, 03:14 PM
There should be a grind number behind the cam gear. Getting to it of course requires removing the timing cover, harmonic balancer and then pulling the gear.
Jordy

Banshee
07-05-2002, 05:48 AM
I’ve never tried it but I think that you could pull off one valve cover and mount a dial indicator to the top of a rocker arm and turn the engine over by hand to find out what the lift is. Of course you will have to do it on one intake valve and one exhaust valve. You may be able to get really slick and mount a degree wheel to the crank also. Good luck

flat broke
07-06-2002, 11:10 PM
Banshee is right, you will only need a dial indicator/magnetic base setup, a degree wheel, and a little straight forward math to tell you everything you should need to know about your cam. There is ton's of information on the net regarding degreeing cams. A degree wheel will run you $20-$40, and a CHEAP (but useable for this application) dial indicator and mag base from Harbor Frieght will run you another $30. The money spent on the wheel and dial indicator is well spent if you ever plan to do any motor work in the future.
Good luck,
Chris www.liquidaddiction.net (http://www.liquidaddiction.net)

73marquis
07-07-2002, 05:47 PM
thanks for the replies, have been trying to figure out the problems the boat, and was getting ready to go with a holley 750, but was told that i need to know what the motor has in it before i invest money in parts for it....the guy that rebuilt the motor before i got the boat doesn't remember the cam size, has all receipts for all kinds of stuff, not the cam though.....marquis

SSTSleakcraft
07-08-2002, 06:55 PM
Banshee and flat broke are right. But if you have a hydralic stick lifter bleed down will give you erroneous readings. You did not mention engine to determine rocker arm ratio, but that can be easily found by looking up, aftermarket stock ratio for your app. Remove the rockers on one cylinder and spark plug and measure lobe lift at pushrod with indicator and multiply by ratio for cam lift. You can also figure duration with a degree wheel and indicator. Don't remember off hand but have seen it in mondello's technical reference manual. Good luck!