PDA

View Full Version : Carrera Elite 20.5 ?

MBlaster
03-04-2006, 09:21 PM
What do you guys think about them?
I found a pretty nice 90' w/BBC, rebuilt pump, excellent cond.
I'm impressed with the room since I'll be hauling the family around.
Seems like a very well built boat, and big enough to do double duty
at the river and LH.

marty722
03-04-2006, 09:29 PM
It just didn't have enough power for me. Even though it had the BBC when you fill the boat you can tell... The room it great and storage is also good. I had the pump BP and also had the reducer installed..... If you just want to cruise it's perfect but if you want alittle power it won't be there.... Just my 02 cents on the boat I had.
95 carrera202xr
email me if you need more info
carrera202xr@pacbell.net

MBlaster
03-04-2006, 09:43 PM
Think it will do 50 with 2 adults and 2 little kids, cooler, chairs, and EZup? If so I'm good because it's a really bitchin looking boat. Dunno if the pump was bp'd but I was thinking of adding a shoe and ride plate if the deal goes forward.

TIMINATOR
03-04-2006, 11:19 PM
Heavy,underpowered,slug. Ran 54 mph with stock 330 hp BBC. Added droop,rideplate,Place diverter,4" exhaust tips and 4" ex. hose,perf RPM intake, and 800dp, and was rewarded with a rousing 57-58 mph. Mine was an open bow 205 Elite. At last ditch effort, installed a 410 hp BBC from a Mercruiser(I borrowed it) and only picked up 2 mph, yup didn't crack 60. Bought the 21 Daytona, stuck in the 410 and ran 72mph, and rode a hall of a lot better and used about 10-15 LESS gallons a day. I then built the 572 and ran 96 on the motor, at about the same fuel consumption as the Carrera. The Carrera looks nice, but I would NEVER even think about owning another one. Your results may vary. I do hear that they run very well with an outdrive, but those are pricey. TIMINATOR

boater012
03-04-2006, 11:44 PM
I have about three customers who have them and they all spend way more money on there boats than the other people with comparibly sized boats do. Because they are so heavy and not very efficient at all! they spend the same in repairs as others who have 28 to 30 footers they are that hard on the motors. one customer has had his for the whole time ive been in business and weve put two Indmar jet boat specific crate motors in it so far! in five years! both times they were just wore out!
I agree they are a good looking boat but I would'nt own one!

MBlaster
03-05-2006, 08:03 AM
There is no such thing as perfection but,
OUCH I wasn't expecting such negative posts.
I really don't need a boat that goes 70.
I need a nice reliable safe family hauler, with room for stuff that can do the river and havasu.
Don't want a POS and it has to fit the budget.
OUCH.

396_WAYS_TO_SPIT
03-05-2006, 09:05 AM
There is no such thing as perfection but,
OUCH I wasn't expecting such negative posts.
I really don't need a boat that goes 70.
I need a nice reliable safe family hauler, with room for stuff that can do the river and havasu.
Don't want a POS and it has to fit the budget.
OUCH.
Im with ya on that one! I actually like the carerra style hull. Its a clean looking cruiser. If you want a famliy boat that looks clean and still throws a nice rooster then jump on that biotch;) Dont worry about the negative posts, some of these peeps are always trying to go 150mph! Some of them forgot about the true ethics of boating :rolleyes:

sdpm
03-05-2006, 09:39 AM
Great boat! I owned one for a few years. I had a all iron 509 BBC with a small B&m blower and a single 1050 and it would run in the low 70's. Pump had some work done to it. Shoe and ride plate,droop,hyd diverter,loader grate, SS "A" impeller. Great ride, perfect size for small family. Buy it!! :)

TIMINATOR
03-05-2006, 01:11 PM
Yeah, don't worry about the negative posts, take advice from someone who has never owned one. See the Kachina Ken post (if it hasn't been removed again). P.S. if I posted that the world was round,396 would argue that too! Thats what he does.... TIMINATOR AKA Sgt. JOE FRIDAY "Just the facts ma'am"

MBlaster
03-05-2006, 02:02 PM
Yeah, don't worry about the negative posts, take advice from someone who has never owned one. See the Kachina Ken post (if it hasn't been removed again). P.S. if I posted that the world was round,396 would argue that too! Thats what he does.... TIMINATOR AKA Sgt. JOE FRIDAY "Just the facts ma'am"
I do appreciate the input. It is difficult to cut through the personal crap and decipher the usefull info. It seems your needs were not met with the Carrera and the step to the Daytona 21 fit your bill. Do you think the 20.5 will fill the needs of a guy with a wife and a couple little ones that needs a safe, roomy, stylish and resonably quick jet to cruise in?

BarryMac
03-05-2006, 02:17 PM
I have the 202XR, same hull just a different top, I love my boat, I have the 454 with the sport pack, 380hp, I also have a hydraulic diverter, I run between 55 and 60, haven't GPS'd it yet, I will this year, like others have said it is a pretty heavy boat but IMO that makes the ride that much better.

TIMINATOR
03-05-2006, 02:23 PM
It rode much rougher than I would have expected, the droop,place divertor, and plate did help the ride, but for the $1250.00 cost, still not enough. If where you boat is allways smooth, it will probably fill the bill, if not, make sure you get an extended test ride. A wife and a couple of kids usually don't mean that fuel economy is not an issue either. The other problem is they are among the most expensive in its class, you as I may appreciate the quality, but when you are trying to sell it you will get VERY tired of hearing how every lookie-lou can buy a Kachina for about half of what you are asking. TIMINATOR

MBlaster
03-07-2006, 04:18 PM
Well I'm gonna go drive it this week with some money in my pocket. :rollside:

396_WAYS_TO_SPIT
03-07-2006, 04:44 PM
LMFAO, you are very funny timm. I guess you right, he should take your advice. Especially from someone that recommends an aluminum impeller and a high horsepower motor :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Schiada Time
03-07-2006, 05:01 PM
MBlaster-Is the boat you are looking at owned by a guy name Brian and it is located in like Anaheim Hills? If so I know the boat-(white,blue,yellow,orange)with a 454 and Berkely 12JG with hydraulic diverter. Has a nice stereo and a bimini and such. if this is the boat you are looking at I say buy it. I have driven this boat as Brian is a friend of mine and my sisters and this boat is immaculate. Brian boats with us out on Lake Mead and this boat handles well and is a perfect family cruiser. I would have bought the boat myself but I really wanted a V-drive and just bought one. I understand the family thing as i just sold my 530 HP low profile Hallet jet that ran 80mph on GPS and had a tunnel ram with twin holley's and over the transom headers. Bought a '22 Schiada V-Drive. If this is the boat tell Brian I said Hello and good luck. I think he is asking 14K in the Boat Trader and I gotta tell you that you wont find a cleaner one for the $$. My .02 cents as i have personal exp. with this boat. If you have any questions 714-276-5268
trav

MBlaster
03-07-2006, 05:15 PM
MBlaster-Is the boat you are looking at owned by a guy name Brian and it is located in like Anaheim Hills? If so I know the boat-(white,blue,yellow,orange)with a 454 and Berkely 12JG with hydraulic diverter. Has a nice stereo and a bimini and such. if this is the boat you are looking at I say buy it. I have driven this boat as Brian is a friend of mine and my sisters and this boat is immaculate. Brian boats with us out on Lake Mead and this boat handles well and is a perfect family cruiser. I would have bought the boat myself but I really wanted a V-drive and just bought one. I understand the family thing as i just sold my 530 HP low profile Hallet jet that ran 80mph on GPS and had a tunnel ram with twin holley's and over the transom headers. Bought a '22 Schiada V-Drive. If this is the boat tell Brian I said Hello and good luck. I think he is asking 14K in the Boat Trader and I gotta tell you that you wont find a cleaner one for the $$. My .02 cents as i have personal exp. with this boat. If you have any questions 714-276-5268
trav
Yep thats the one, it a nice super nice boat.
He seems like a cool guy too.
I'll tell him Hi for you!
If it tests out ok, she will come home with me. :)

Schiada Time
03-07-2006, 06:13 PM
You could not do better for the $$. Very clean, turn key reliable boat. You'll have to bring it to Mead sometime so the boat can hang out in its old stomping grounds.

TIMINATOR
03-08-2006, 08:43 AM
396: if you don't understand it, you shouldn't f--k with it! TIMINATOR

396_WAYS_TO_SPIT
03-08-2006, 10:25 AM
396: if you don't understand it, you shouldn't f--k with it! TIMINATOR
LOL, you should quit your day job and be a comedian!! Wait.... dont do that, then people cant run aluminum impellers for "Not Tuff E Nuff" in thier dragboats. Timm, I dont know why your going after me. I never directed a post to you. All I said was to buy the boat and dont worry about everyones negative opinions.I will repost what I said since you are allergic to reading... :rolleyes: :rolleyes:
[quote]
Im with ya on that one! I actually like the carerra style hull. Its a clean looking cruiser. If you want a famliy boat that looks clean and still throws a nice rooster then jump on that biotch Dont worry about the negative posts, some of these peeps are always trying to go 150mph! Some of them forgot about the true ethics of boating
396[quote]

MBlaster
03-09-2006, 05:45 PM
trav
Hey Red Rocker,
Got her!!!
She's a gem...
Maybe we'll all get to hang out this summer. :)
Dan.

396_WAYS_TO_SPIT
03-09-2006, 06:44 PM
Hey Red Rocker,
Got her!!!
She's a gem...
Maybe we'll all get to hang out this summer. :)
Dan.
Congrats;) Where are them pics sucka;);) We wanna see the new baby!!!!!!

EMCAM
03-09-2006, 06:59 PM
Im with you 396 .Maybe Tim shouldnt be a comedian but maybe a camodian since he talks crap

MBlaster
03-09-2006, 07:25 PM
Congrats;) Where are them pics sucka;);) We wanna see the new baby!!!!!!
Got her all bundled up and under cover.
I didn't have much time to screw around this afternoon since that storms blowing in tomorrow.
I'll get some pix up soon.
:)

Focker
03-09-2006, 08:23 PM
Got her all bundled up and under cover.
I didn't have much time to screw around this afternoon since that storms blowing in tomorrow.
I'll get some pix up soon.
:)
CONGRATS LETS SEE SOME PICS

probablecause
03-09-2006, 09:56 PM
I love my 1989 Carrera 20.5 Elite. My Boat Below (when it is not stuck on a Sandbar) with only my step-daughter (not pictured), my Lew Larson Motor, and no bimini (sp), ran 67 mph - stock JG pump with Place diveter.
http://www.aflacracing.com/images/albums/userpics/10001/pcboat1.jpg
http://www.aflacracing.com/images/albums/userpics/10001/larson.jpg
http://www.aflacracing.com/images/albums/userpics/10001/carrera1.jpg

396_WAYS_TO_SPIT
03-10-2006, 06:46 AM
I love my 1989 Carrera 20.5 Elite. My Boat Below (when it is not stuck on a Sandbar) with only my step-daughter (not pictured), my Lew Larson Motor, and no bimini (sp), ran 67 mph - stock JG pump with Place diveter.
http://www.aflacracing.com/images/albums/userpics/10001/pcboat1.jpg
http://www.aflacracing.com/images/albums/userpics/10001/larson.jpg
http://www.aflacracing.com/images/albums/userpics/10001/carrera1.jpg
That pic of the pump in the mud makes my bones hurt :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

BarryMac
03-10-2006, 07:18 AM
Congrats MBlaster, cant wait too see the pics of your new toy. Your going to love it. What year is the boat? here is a pic of my 01 202XR.
http://www.hotboatpics.com/pics/data/500/6456boat.jpg
And the funnest thing of owning a Jetboat...
http://www.hotboatpics.com/pics/data/500/6456DSC01448.JPG

Schiada Time
03-10-2006, 03:01 PM
Congrats MBlaster-Going to be a great boat for ya bud. Post some pics eventough I know exactly what she looks like.
Trav

rsr
03-14-2006, 08:54 AM
Since there are some carrera owners on here right now, a technical question. On a 202xr (2002) is there a bypass switch to manually open the engine hatch if the batteries have gone dead (I know bonehead move, but it's been along winter and I haven't been up to the house in a while - guessing my batteries are dead and not gonna have enough juice to open the hatch to get to them for a charge). If there is no bypass switch what are my options? Thanks - RSR

rsr
03-16-2006, 07:02 AM
Bump

TIMINATOR
03-16-2006, 07:48 AM
Connect a trickle (keep the charge amps to about 15 or less to keep from blowing the fuse)charger to the hot wire on the back of the ignition switch.This will charge the battery back through the switch. After a few hrs you should have enough juice to open it. Plan 2: attach charger to back of hatch switch(if on dash where you can get to it) and hit the button. Make sure you are on the lift side of the switch or you will be trying to charge the batt too. TIMINATOR

rsr
03-16-2006, 01:08 PM
timinator - thanks for the help.

TIMINATOR
03-17-2006, 07:57 AM
No problemo! I forgot to mention, but you have to find a ground for the ground wire! There is usually a terminal block for the grounds, you can use that. Look where the dash light negatives go. TIMINATOR

hotred
04-03-2006, 02:25 PM
this is a great boat i have a closed bow with a 454-blown it gps at 101.7 last week i'm from 6th ave blythe.have fun