PDA

View Full Version : Should I Fill in My Pool???

scooooter7
11-24-2007, 03:30 PM
I am thinking of filling in my pool in the San Gabriel Valley area and was wondering if anyone knew about what it might cost. The pool is about 15' X 30' and takes up most of the back yard. I have about 8' of concrete (decking)surrounding it, and I assume that woulb be used as fill.
Anybody ever do this? Or who do you recommend for this??
Thanks

YeLLowBoaT
11-24-2007, 03:38 PM
well asumming it has a average depth of 6 ft( also to keep the math simple)
it would have a volume of 2700 cuft or 100 cuyd. A standard "mini" dump holds ~ 5 yds and costs ~$150 for clean fill( its actually about 15/ per yard but delivery costs are 75-100 per load) you would need about 25 truck loads( you have to compact the dirt remember) to fill your pool. if you did it your self the cost would be around 4k in material and tool rental. Thats not including things like replacing the fence/ landscape ( assuming the truck can just back strait up and dump) Now if the truck for some reason could not just back strait up to the hole and dump, you have 2 options.
wheel barrel it from the fron to the back or get a "stone slinger" aka conveyor truck for around $250 a load.( which is worth every penny vs wheel barreling that up earth.)

Havasu1986
11-24-2007, 03:44 PM
well asumming it has a average depth of 6 ft( also to keep the math simple)
it would have a volume of 2700 cuft or 100 cuyd. A standard "mini" dump holds ~ 5 yds and costs ~$150 for clean fill( its actually about 15/ per yard but delivery costs are 75-100 per load) you would need about 25 truck loads( you have to compact the dirt remember) to fill your pool. if you did it your self the cost would be around 4k in material and tool rental. Thats not including things like replacing the fence/ landscape ( assuming the truck can just back strait up and dump) Now if the truck for some reason could not just back strait up to the hole and dump, you have 2 options.
wheel barrel it from the fron to the back or get a "stone slinger" aka conveyor truck for around $250 a load.( which is worth every penny vs wheel barreling that up earth.)
What about filling it with slurry. It maybe more $$$$. But it compacts itself and all you need is a pumper truck.

scooooter7
11-24-2007, 03:47 PM
OK, now another question.
If I do it myself do I break up the gunnite (or shell of the pool) or just leave it and fill it in?
I'm not planning on doing it myself, but cost wise it might be the only way.

Mandelon
11-24-2007, 03:47 PM
I did one for a place with a big rectangular pool a couple months ago.
I had three guys bid it. They ranged from about $6000 to $10,000. I ended up hiring a guy with a ten wheeler, and a back hoe to do it. I arranged for the fill dirt myself through Craigs List and It cost me about $3200.
One thing that I had to deal with was the City. Here they needed a permit pulled. Mostly to make sure that the gas and electricity to the equipment were safed off correctly. But if you don't compact the soil to specs, ( typically 95%) then I had to file a form with the county showing where the uncompacted fill was located on the lot. this would prevent someone in the future from putting a room addition or structure on this spot. It was a pain, but still not much money.

Mattman
11-24-2007, 03:48 PM
Why are you filling it in? Just curious.

came along during the sunk boat thread
11-24-2007, 03:52 PM
post an ad on craigs list stating that you'll take clean fill. people around here are always looking to get rid of it

scooooter7
11-24-2007, 03:58 PM
Why are you filling it in? Just curious.
Lived here about 10 years and seldom use it.
My kids are grown and out of the house.
We babysit the grandkids a Lot.
And the number one reason...the daughter in law wants to put a fence around it so her kids don't fall in.
So I am currently weighing the options before doing either. And thanks, you guys are helping with the ideas.
Maybe I should be pricing pool fencing too.

Mandelon
11-24-2007, 04:00 PM
OK, now another question.
If I do it myself do I break up the gunnite (or shell of the pool) or just leave it and fill it in?
I'm not planning on doing it myself, but cost wise it might be the only way.
Typically you need to knock down the top two feet around the outside wall and put it in the bottom. The demo guy will have to punch a bunch of holes through the bottom of the pool so it can drain and you dont' end up with a big bowl of mud. If you elect to not compact all the rubble from the surrounding pool deck can go into the old pool hole. Have fill dirt on hand to fill in as you go. The shallow end gets knocked down first since they will need to drive the rig into the pool.

scooooter7
11-24-2007, 04:02 PM
Or better yet, drain the water and break up all the concrete and leave it. Turning it into one gnarly jungle gym.
NOT

Mattman
11-24-2007, 04:02 PM
And the number one reason...the daughter in law wants to put a fence around it so her kids don't fall in.
So I am currently weighing the options before doing either. And thanks, you guys are helping with the ideas.
Maybe I should be pricing pool fencing too.
Got it.

YeLLowBoaT
11-24-2007, 04:03 PM
What about filling it with slurry. It maybe more $$$$. But it compacts itself and all you need is a pumper truck.
I know is sac county that is illegal.( I was planing on doing that for a abandoned cess pool.) Not sure about down there. If I remember correctly the price was around 3x what it cost to do the fill sand/ dirt.

Havasu1986
11-24-2007, 04:07 PM
I know is sac county that is illegal.( I was planing on doing that for a abandoned cess pool.) Not sure about down there. If I remember correctly the price was around 3x what it cost to do the fill sand/ dirt.
We use slurry all the time when filling in fire main repairs. Because the dirt is really wet and we need to fill the hole ASAP.

YeLLowBoaT
11-24-2007, 04:19 PM
We use slurry all the time when filling in fire main repairs. Because the dirt is really wet and we need to fill the hole ASAP.
That makes perfect sense to me...
back on topic... you know they make removable fences that fit into small holes that are drilled into the deck. They are kind of like industrail window screen. Might be another option.

phebus
11-24-2007, 04:24 PM
Drain it, and buy the grandkids skateboards. :D

CMac
11-24-2007, 04:25 PM
Friend of mine punched a bunch of holes in the bottom for drainage and built a redwood deck over the entire thing with a removable section for any unforseen things.

Mandelon
11-24-2007, 04:25 PM
Drain it, and buy the grandkids skateboards. :D
She was right, you ARE the devil!!!! :D

Havasu1986
11-24-2007, 04:35 PM
Friend of mine punched a bunch of holes in the bottom for drainage and built a redwood deck over the entire thing with a removable section for any unforseen things.
That seems like a good idea. Did the city buy off on it, and what about resale. :confused:

Captain Dan
11-24-2007, 05:17 PM
put a little water in there under that deck, add some gangbangers and reenact scenes from the Deer Hunter.......:idea:

ULTRA26 # 1
11-24-2007, 06:17 PM
I am thinking of filling in my pool in the San Gabriel Valley area and was wondering if anyone knew about what it might cost. The pool is about 15' X 30' and takes up most of the back yard. I have about 8' of concrete (decking)surrounding it, and I assume that woulb be used as fill.
Anybody ever do this? Or who do you recommend for this??
Thanks
Seems fencing it would be way more cost effective. Just my .02

uvindex
11-24-2007, 06:53 PM
Maybe I should be pricing pool fencing too.The pool makes your home more valuable, so you might want to keep that in mind (the real cost of filling the pool should include the decrease in your home's value.) :)
We paid about $600 for a baby fence. I'd definitely lean toward that option. Just my opinion, of course.
Good luck either way. :)

Classic Daycruiser
11-24-2007, 07:03 PM
Pools are a pain in the ass.
Gunite re-surface usually fails around 7 years ($7K).
What is the condition of the pool and pumps/filters?
I agree with removing a pool, if your not using it.
Its much cheaper to fill the pool in and get a nice heated Spa. :D
Value of the home would not change enough to make a difference.

scooooter7
11-25-2007, 12:10 AM
Pools are a pain in the ass.
Gunite re-surface usually fails around 7 years ($7K).
What is the condition of the pool and pumps/filters?
I agree with removing a pool, if your not using it.
Its much cheaper to fill the pool in and get a nice heated Spa. :D
Value of the home would not change enough to make a difference.
Filter in excellent condition, almost new pump, so no problems there. I've had an automatic pool cleaner about 8 years and repaired regularly. The pool itself looks great but the decking still has 2x4's between the sections (original when we bought the house). I think the pool had been resurfaced right before we moved in. Tile and grout need attention, and maybe a total resurfacing of the plaster to look "new" if we were selling.
We bought the house because we liked it, the pool just happened to be there. I've enjoyed it, but like my air conditioning better.
As far as value, we had the house listed for sale right before everything fell out of the housing market, 14 months ago. Started to get offers but got cold feet and a new job so didn't sell.
Maybe a new spa would get more use...Hmmmmmmmm.

rrrr
11-25-2007, 11:32 AM
As someone mentioned, make sure you bust up the top 2' of the pool walls.....the top of the pool shell and the deck are higher than the surrounding yard.
A guy that lives a couple of houses down from me didn't do that when he filled the pool......the pool beam ended up about 4 inches above finished grade. He tried to fix it by crowning the backyard but then the rain drained onto his patio and into the house. :D
He had to take down his new fence and get a backhoe in the yard to fix it.........this was after it was landscaped. :sleeping: :D

scooooter7
11-25-2007, 12:51 PM
As someone mentioned, make sure you bust up the top 2' of the pool walls.....the top of the pool shell and the deck are higher than the surrounding yard.
A guy that lives a couple of houses down from me didn't do that when he filled the pool......the pool beam ended up about 4 inches above finished grade. He tried to fix it by crowning the backyard but then the rain drained onto his patio and into the house. :D
He had to take down his new fence and get a backhoe in the yard to fix it.........this was after it was landscaped. :sleeping: :D
Thanks, that's why I am asking now before I do anything.