PDA

View Full Version : Jet Pump Powder Coating

miller19j
09-06-2002, 01:30 PM
I am thinking about having my jet powder coated blue this winter and was curious what some of you guys that have had it done paid. I just want to get an idea of what this is going to cost me. Do you guys have any recommendations (do’s and don’ts). If you have any pictures you could post I would also like to see your results.
Any info would be appreciated,
Miller19j

Tom Foolery
09-06-2002, 01:52 PM
The pump I bought on my boat had been polished and powdercoated clear. It looks great but is now begining to peel. I didn't have it done so I'm not sure if the quality of the powdercoating that was done on mine was poor or if powdercoating in general doesn't work well as a finish on a pump. I would call one of the pump manufacturers and see what type of finish they use and duplicate it in what ever color you want. Or maybe someone else could fill us in on what works well on pumps.

flat broke
09-06-2002, 02:21 PM
The pump manufactures use an epoxy based paint for the factory paint. As for powdercoating the pump, It can be done, but I've heard of results being hit and miss. On my pump the temp from the oven brought out some surface flaws that weren't there before due to the outgassing that cast parts go through when they're re-heated and the gas bubbles locked inside come to the surface through the hot and temporarily more porous surface. The bottom line is that yes, a pump can be powder coated, but for best results have it done by someone that does a lot of PC on cast aluminum.
Good luck,
Chris

78Eliminator
09-06-2002, 02:41 PM
flat broke:
The pump manufactures use an epoxy based paint for the factory paint. As for powdercoating the pump, It can be done, but I've heard of results being hit and miss. On my pump the temp from the oven brought out some surface flaws that weren't there before due to the outgassing that cast parts go through when they're re-heated and the gas bubbles locked inside come to the surface through the hot and temporarily more porous surface. The bottom line is that yes, a pump can be powder coated, but for best results have it done by someone that does a lot of PC on cast aluminum.
Good luck,
ChrisI want to know what people have done to their faded pumps on this forum. mine looks really sad......

Boater Bill
09-06-2002, 03:03 PM
Rustoleum!

miller19j
09-06-2002, 03:10 PM
I was going to sand blast it and then paint it with an epoxy based paint. But my wife wanted to powder coat it blue to match our gauge bezels. Ok honey if you really want it that way I will do it just for you wink

MikeF
09-06-2002, 03:45 PM
J, When I pulled the pump and cover I painted it w/ a polyurethane paint. Cost about $60 for the paint. A quart covered the trailer and all the pump parts. I still have a little left. :)
Prior to that I would just spray wd40 on it, but that was only temporary.

Jordy
09-06-2002, 03:55 PM
There was a thread on here a while back entitled "Why wont they powder coat my pump." Let me see if I can find it.
Jordy :D

Jordy
09-06-2002, 03:57 PM
jordanpaulk:
There was a thread on here a while back entitled "Why wont they powder coat my pump." Let me see if I can find it.
Jordy :D Nevermind. It was why wont they chrome my pump. My bad. It's late and I need a frosty diet adult beverage.
Jordy :D

HM
09-06-2002, 04:19 PM
MikeF:
J, When I pulled the pump and cover I painted it w/ a polyurethane paint. Cost about $60 for the paint. A quart covered the trailer and all the pump parts. I still have a little left. :)
Prior to that I would just spray wd40 on it, but that was only temporary.MikeF is on the money.
I make a living with the paint manufactures.
Polyurethane is the best paint that wont fade. Pro-Line (Sherwin Williams) makes a great marine grade of polyurethane that is tough as it gets.
Epoxy, while it has excellent protective qualities, its appearance will fade and chalk. There is nothing wrong with it persay, but it looks bad over time.
Powdercoat can be good, depending on the chemistry - you need to tell them you want good UV outdoor performance. Powdercoating actually uses many of the same chemistries as other paints - epoxy, polyurethane and etc., but you have less choices and it tends to be on the brittle side. Clear powdercoats are cool, but as stated above, some imperfection in the aluminum can come out due to out gasing during the bake stage. The other problem is that aluminum does degrade in the sun causing the powder coat to peel. They can ad uv stabilizers and reflectants to prolong the life significantly.

hack job
09-06-2002, 06:00 PM
i snaded mine down then sprayed it with primer then painted it with like 5 coats of krylon or so , it looks great and cleans up well, i would bet that it could looke even better if you powder coated t the right way wink and took care of it. ! good luck !
http://plumbersassracing.com/images/completepump.gif

1HOTGMCJET
09-06-2002, 07:26 PM
I had a BUNCH of my stuff done and it came out REALLY well:
http://free.***boat.net/gallery/Gearhead_Garage/Other_Equipment/Powdercoated_Parts.JPG
I had some reservations about the guy I initially spoke to, but found another guy locally who did an AWESOME job...... :)

Kwicherbichen
09-08-2002, 03:59 AM
That powdercoat looks bitchen!
Tom Papp did his race boat pump with a paint called "Demension 3" or "3rd Demension". I think he got it at Sinclair Paints or another professional paint shop. They will color match anything you have and put it in a spray can for ya. I've looked into the powdercoating and just polishing the whole thing. This paint is most likely what I will do too. It's less expensive, very attractive, pretty durable, and easy to touch up. I will probably polish a few pieces to accent the whole look.
http://free.***boat.net/gallery/Raceboat_Arenas/Drag_Boats/tomp5.JPG

wsm9808
09-08-2002, 09:23 AM
Beadblasted and powdercoated at home with the Eastwood Hot-Coat system. Still looks new a year later. http://www.liquidaddiction.net/images/Karaco/k641973.jpg
[ September 08, 2002, 10:24 AM: Message edited by: wsm9808 ]

miller19j
09-09-2002, 07:30 AM
1HOTGMCJET:
I had a BUNCH of my stuff done and it came out REALLY well:
http://free.***boat.net/gallery/Gearhead_Garage/Other_Equipment/Powdercoated_Parts.JPG
I had some reservations about the guy I initially spoke to, but found another guy locally who did an AWESOME job...... :) 1HOTGMCJET,
That looks like the color that I was thinking about. It looks great! What did it cost you to have it done?
Thanks
Miller19j

miller19j
09-09-2002, 07:30 AM
Thanks guys for all the input I really appreciate it!
Miller19j

pops1
09-09-2002, 10:12 AM
miller19j:
Thanks guys for all the input I really appreciate it!
Miller19jMiller We have had a on & off condition with Painting our pumps.
I purchased a small gun called in Cardinal Paint people and gone thru all our past experance with both powder & Spray. There Tech people have been here before and gone thru our process.
Gas out is a problem with castings as stated above.
As a old custom painter I know I can buy spray paint in epoxy's that will adhere and last. So as this goes you might want to go this route. The problem with our parts is we hard anodize prior to paint- this should alivate most of the gas out.
What we found next was brittle-the parts chipped way to easy. We must overcome these problems as spray has become a no no. Our volumn demands a clean system & Colors avaible in Powder are the way.
Here is what we are going to attempt:
#1 All our newest casting are of a alloy that is silicon free-That means in theory- we can polish, Color anodize, & clear coat-Our Goal.
#2 The Cardinal Factory has set us up with a special casting primer- sand,Color coat white for our parts side.
Second approach for Drive's will be Primer, sand, New Flat anodize colors now being used on the newer bikes.In all cases ultra vilote protection
for color fade.
This week we will start testing all three approaches with factory help.
let you know- Dave

miller19j
09-09-2002, 10:47 AM
Dave,
I have several sprayers so if I were to go the paint route it would be the easiest. But I am trying to get the jet to match the blue gauge bezels and other accessories on the boat. I know that I can do this with a Translucent Blue Powder coat as I have seen others do in the past. So I am trying to avoid the paint option.
I would love to Anodize the parts but I am sure that it would be very expensive.
Thanks for the input
Miller19j

pops1
09-09-2002, 12:48 PM
miller19j:
Dave,
I have several sprayers so if I were to go the paint route it would be the easiest. But I am trying to get the jet to match the blue gauge bezels and other accessories on the boat. I know that I can do this with a Translucent Blue Powder coat as I have seen others do in the past. So I am trying to avoid the paint option.
Thanks for the input
Miller19jIf you try to go in paint bright silver base- Candy blue over to color clear coat finish. In powder, Papp has a powdercoater who has done some nice work and holds well- So it can be done-Dave