PDA

View Full Version : running pump on trailer

mrossum
03-04-2006, 10:23 PM
have to break in new cam. garden hose will provide enough water to engine, but will i run into problems with panther pump? don't really want to tow up to lake just to break in cam.

malcolm
03-04-2006, 10:30 PM
It's never a very good idea to run the pump dry. A Panther may be a little harder to hurt than a Berk, but I'd still worry about the main water seal running dry. Is there a closer river or something you could tow to? Anything to let the cooling system work the way it should.

Danhercules
03-04-2006, 11:47 PM
is it that hard to disconnect?

Red Horse
03-04-2006, 11:55 PM
Running the pump on the garden hose is OK for a few minutes at idle. I would also keep an eye on your temp guage. To break in a cam, disconnect the pump or go to the lake.

boater012
03-04-2006, 11:56 PM
Just take the ten minutes and unhook the coupler. Whats the big deal guys its 4 bolts!!! I see people arguing on here about this all the time!! OR, dont worry about it and come back and ask for advice about how to rebuild your jet yourself! Ive seen it 5 or 6 times on here someone comes on here and asks if they HAVE to put the boat in the water! Or if they can get away with it?? then a couple months later they're telling us how they are rebuilding their jets. the jetboat I just sold for a customer had'nt ever had the jet done. He had it for 17 years and never even had to do anything but the packing a couple times! :crossx:

mrossum
03-05-2006, 07:55 AM
is it that hard to disconnect?
it is kind of a pain in the rear. that and the fact that i'm a lazy bastard. looks like i'm headed to lake perris to break a cam.

Wally_Gator
03-05-2006, 08:12 AM
Just disconnect or put it in the water.. I have seen the damage caused by running it on a trailer.

Cas
03-05-2006, 08:55 AM
here' read this
http://p210.ezboard.com/fclassic***boatsfrm21.showMessage?topicID=20.topic

inwo
03-05-2006, 09:05 AM
I worry about my Dominator. But what can you damage with a Berkeley?
Bearings are lubed, front and back. Clearance around impeller. Wouldn't hurt to keep the packing on the loose side. I always do, as per 1970s manual. :) Spray water in it to start. Then let some of the engine coolant water from hose back feed thru the pump coolant port. A strategic hose leak by the packing sometimes. :)
I was told in 1970 it was ok to run out of water. I've run it for tune-ups, oil change warm-ups, and every time boat is used. To make sure it will run OK, when I get to the ramp. This for the last 35 years!
I run in some pretty nasty sand and always beach boat at sandbars. Average 15 years between pump tear downs. Yet to need a new shaft.
This is not a recomendation to abuse your pump. Just my experience.

jrork
03-05-2006, 09:06 AM
Go for it. I broke in my cam with it on the trailer, did some minor tuning and ran the heck out of it over the summer.
Pulled the pump apart over the summer and no worries other than normal wear and thankfully no tear.
John......

beerjet
03-05-2006, 10:30 AM
It all sounds good to me if everything is in good working condition . I have run mine on the trailer for one reason or another and when I did my tear down everything looked real good ,but after hearing (on here) the damage that a f**ked pump can cause, in the water no less ,I slept alot better knowing that my pump was disconected. Yes it was a pain in the ass to remove but haveing to remove money to rebuild or worse yet replace was gonna hurt more. Peace of mind is worth it's weight in gold.
-beerjet-

emjay
03-05-2006, 11:00 AM
Put an HTP "Jet-A-WAY" on it and you can test run your
boat as much as you want & every time before
going to the lake.
(Assuming Duane makes 'em for Panther pumps too)
No having to disassemble a drive shaft every time
you needs to test. Just shift the drive in & out of gear.
A little pricey for the part but definitely an asset
to any jet boat.

1978 Rogers
03-05-2006, 11:08 AM
Put an HTP "Jet-A-WAY" on it and you can test run your
boat as much as you want & every time before
going to the lake.
(Assuming Duane makes 'em for Panther pumps too)
No having to disassemble a drive shaft every time
you needs to test. Just shift the drive in & out of gear.
A little pricey for the part but definitely an asset
to any jet boat.
Wow, a Jet A Way is around $1100. A pump rebuild is around $500 (up here in the NW). For the weekend lake guys, $1100 is a little much. You could ruin you pump twice for the cost of one of those. How long does it take until you ruin a pump by running on the trailer? Who has ever ruined a pump by running on the trailer, granted the pump wasn't full of sand/gravel that bounce in by trailering down the highway.
Some say its bad to run on trailer, some say it OK. I think its a gamble. Why not take it to a close lake and leave in part way on the trailer. That way you can run as much as you want for break in and water is still going through the pump. Problem solved. :idea:

GunninGopher
03-05-2006, 01:40 PM
Why not take it to a close lake and leave in part way on the trailer. That way you can run as much as you want for break in and water is still going through the pump. Problem solved. :idea:
You could screw up a launch ramp by running a lot on the trailer. It could push all the gravel off of the end of the paved ramp. I was at Fisher's landing about 13 years ago and bent both fenders when the trailer went off the end of the ramp. I think that was before the ramps were built like they are now.

malcolm
03-05-2006, 01:42 PM
I just towed mine up the road to a local river with a gravel launch. You know, the kind fishermen use. Just leave it strapped to the trailer and back it in. It's fun after the the break-in trying to push your tow rig up the ramp. :D

malcolm
03-05-2006, 01:44 PM
You could screw up a launch ramp by running a lot on the trailer. It could push all the gravel off of the end of the paved ramp. I was at Fisher's landing about 13 years ago and bent both fenders when the trailer went off the end of the ramp. I think that was before the ramps were built like they are now.
Maybe if your diverter was down. I did run mine 'up' so I could watch the roostertail. ;) Guess that is neither here nor there with a Panther.

1978 Rogers
03-05-2006, 02:59 PM
I guess if they were gravel. I was thinking concrete, but anything is possible. A clean ramp is important. Any shyt you suck up can also go into the block (ie sand silt, etc)

Red Horse
03-05-2006, 03:04 PM
My pump has been balanced and blueprinted so the tolerances are much closer. Jack McClure (MPD) built mine and told me on the hose at idle, plenty of water that is it. No reving the piss out of it. Water is cooling, lubrication between impeller and wear ring.

centerhill condor
03-05-2006, 03:12 PM
the tail bearing on my drive is lubricated by water or so I'm told... so it should be in the drink for the test drive...

bergen
03-05-2006, 07:21 PM
i thought it was alright to run garden hose under boat into intake grate.
kool or not kool, i use this methed every now and then, pump seems to be fine, by noway do i claim to be an expert, just my 2
bergen

xs ultra
03-05-2006, 07:43 PM
A friend of mine dose the same thing.One hose in intake grate and one hose to the engine.No proplems ,been doing it for years.

Cas
03-05-2006, 07:54 PM
before this gets too much more involved, mrossum has a Panther pump. Running a Panther out of the water for awhile isn't that big of a deal as it's a lot different than the Berks, Doms, Legends, etc.
It is not a good idea to run those others out of the water for a few reasons one of which is you can burn out the rear shaft seal within a short period of time among other things. Even with running water up into the pump can't put enough water on that seal to keep it cool enough. The other thing is the main bearings on a Panther are submerged in 90w oil at all times to help keep them cool.
If anyone ever starts their motor on the trailer without any way to disconnect the pump, it's always a good idea to wash the pump out before firing the engine off. Just road dirt that has entered the pump from towing will be enough to damage the impeller, wear ring or the housing on the Panther (Panthers don't have a wear ring unless it's been modified).

Sanger Jet
03-06-2006, 08:48 AM
Never Run Your Pump Dry!!!!