PDA

View Full Version : TORQUEMASTER SPARK PLUGS

THE BOSTON SIDEWINDER
02-19-2003, 10:08 AM
I'M RUNNING '72 SIDEWINDER A MILD BIG BLOCK CHEVY, WITH MSD HEI COIL, SPARK MODULE, AND SUPER CONDUCTER WIRES AND WAS WONDERING IF ANY ONE OUT THERE HAS TRIED TORQUEMASTER SPARK PLUGS? I WAS TOLD BY THEM THEIR THE BALLS(OF COURSE). THEY SAID RUN VTL8BR TO GET THE RIGHT HEAT RANGE, IS THAT THE BEST PLUG?, OR IS IT JUST DOO DOO WITH A BIG PRICE TAG($14.50 EACH/ $8. TO SHIP).
I'VE BEEN RUNNING BOSCH HR 9 APX WITH REALLY GOOD LUCK, BUT JUST WANT MORE!

Jordy
02-19-2003, 10:15 AM
$14.50 for a spark plug? I wouldn't spend the money unless you were racing 1/4 mile and looking to pick up 1/100th of a second or something. Most those high dollar spark plugs (like Split-fires) are making up for a weak link in your ignition system. There is only so much power going through the wires and the power will always seek out the easiest ground, which in the case of the Split Fires was the v-cut. Save your money and get a good set of Delcos or Champions, or keep running what you have been running because I really doubt you'll notice any kind of knock down difference in a mild big block.
Just my $.02
*Edited to take out MSD suggestion as I was in shock at the $14.50 spark plugs and didn't see you already had it.
[ February 19, 2003, 10:16 AM: Message edited by: jordanpaulk ]

THE BOSTON SIDEWINDER
02-19-2003, 11:59 AM
THANKS JORDAN, I APPRECIATE THE INPUT!...THE BOSTON SIDEWINDER.

jim@pj
02-19-2003, 09:48 PM
I tried all of the spark plugs on the dirt circle track race circuit running alcohol up to 9000 RPM. We noticed no differance except that some of the pricy plugs died prematurely. If I were you I would stick to good OL AC 45 s and save your money. Put the money somewhere else where you get more bang for your buck. To be honest though, I never tested these plugs your talking about. jim

THE BOSTON SIDEWINDER
02-20-2003, 12:38 PM
JORDAN, WHAT WERE YOU GOING TO ADD ABOUT MSD STUFF, IS IT BAD?

THE BOSTON SIDEWINDER
02-20-2003, 12:42 PM
JIM, YOU MENTIONED AC PLUG #45 S. HOW DOES THAT DIFFER FROM AC MR43T? THAT IS A PLUG I WAS CONSIDERING, WHICH IS A MARINE PLUG. THANKS FOR YOUR INPUT!...BILL.

jim@pj
02-20-2003, 07:52 PM
Bill The MR43T is a colder plug than the 45. It will work but if your engine runs cold you may need a hotter plug. Jim

jim@pj
02-20-2003, 07:52 PM
Bill The MR43T is a colder plug than the 45. It will work but if your engine runs cold you may need a hotter plug. Jim

Jordy
02-20-2003, 08:00 PM
THE BOSTON SIDEWINDER:
JORDAN, WHAT WERE YOU GOING TO ADD ABOUT MSD STUFF, IS IT BAD? Nothing wrong at all. The point I was making with the expensive spark plugs is that they do help compensate for a weak ignition system. If you were still running a points style with a stock coil you might benefit from something like a split fire due to a larger spark kernal due to the easier ground. Then I saw that you have the MSD and realized that you would be wasting your money on any kind of plug for that kind of jingle, especially from what it seems you're looking to do. That's it. :D
I run MSD in my boat and I have no complaints.

Jordy
02-20-2003, 08:01 PM
and I run the MR43T Delco's in my boat and they are what my buddy was running in it before I bought it from him and he runs them in his race boat too.